*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2041952-Full-Stop
by Meself
Rated: E · Monologue · Comedy · #2041952
Just some thought on the history-and future-of these...............................
(I was 12 when I wrote this, so it's pretty awful. I might take it down if I need more space but for now I'll just leave it up)

......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Doesn't this little assembly line of dots look strange? Perhaps they are meant to be strange. Probably to discourage people from making little assembly lines of them. Maybe in the future people will view the creation of punctuation marks as an enjoyable hobby. Then someone with nothing else to do may morph the standard full stop into something more fun. Such as these. _-_-_-_-_-_-_-. I would very much like to end this sentence with a_-. Or perhaps society will revert to ending their sentences with a word stop Though this does make for a confusing written conversation stop Business letters are difficult enough to figure out stop

I must wonder who invented this symbol. Who decided that an insignificant dot should mark something as important as the end of a sentence? What were the other symbols in consideration? Was one the percent? Ending sentences like this% How...quaint% However, I think the dollar sign was what gave the full stop a run for its money$ Ending a sentence with a sign of wealth seems perfectly elegant$ However, such a regal punctuation mark may have spoiled casual writings$ Perhaps society thought about a more light and happy way to end a sentence: ) Now that would make sense: ) However, smiley faces are a bit of a hassle to type, unlike the quick click of the dot, and, even if they weren't, this kind of punctuation would destroy the atmosphere of a serious letter.

.........................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Now that I think about it, if smiley faces did reign, I would probably be typing my thoughts on how strange it would be to end sentences with a full stop...

Isn't punctuation fascinating?







© Copyright 2015 Meself (gotmyeyeonyou at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2041952-Full-Stop