*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2043152-Never-Been-Kissed---Part-2
Rated: 18+ · Fiction · Women's · #2043152
Rachel finds that being grown up isn't all its cracked up to be.


Weeks went by and Rachel settled in to the job. She loved her office, her desk and the work. The feeling of accomplishment was amazing and she started to really feel like a grown up woman, even though she really wasn't. The work became more intense and she found herself having to stay later in the evening. This was no problem and she felt great to be able to tell Gary that she could do so. She just called her mom and asked her to pick her up later from work.

One day, after having lunch in the break room with her new friend, Cynthia, Rachel came back to her desk to see a folded piece of yellow lined paper with her name on the outside sitting on her typewriter. That's odd. I wonder what this is? She opened the note and as she read it, she felt her cheeks flush. Furtively, she looked around to see if anyone was watching her.Who sent me this? There is no signature, nothing. Rachel was flattered and excited, too naive to realize that there was no one in the office who should have been sending her such a "love note." For the rest of the day, she looked at every person walking past her office to see if her secret admirer might just stop by and actually talk to her. This is a big building, a big company. Who knows who it could be? She let her imagination run wild for a bit and then got back to work.

Every day after that, Rachel received another love note written upon a folded piece of yellow-lined paper yet the person who wrote the notes never appeared at her office door. Just as she was starting to wonder if it was just a cruel prank, Gary came and asked her to stay late to work. She agreed and worked until almost dusk that evening.

Peering at the spreadsheet she was typing for a meeting in the morning, Rachel was so intent on getting the numbers correct that she just about jumped out of her chair when she felt hands on her shoulders. "Eeek," she squeaked as she then turned to see one of the men she worked for standing behind her with his big hands on her shoulders.

"My god Jeff, you scared the crap out of me!"

Jeff chuckled, "Sorry Rachel but you looked so tense and focused on your work, I thought you could use a little shoulder massage. My wife says I'm pretty good at it."

Along with the shock of being surprised at not being alone, Rachel was uncomfortable. She was not used to men touching her. No man except for her father and grandfather had ever touched her and that was not that common as they were both undemonstrative men. She was alarmed because of that but when Jeff mentioned his wife she thought, Calm down Rachel. He is just being friendly. Don't act like a ninny and make him think you are an immature baby by overreacting.

She gave a nervous laugh saying, "Sure Jeff, that might be nice, thanks." even though she still was not that comfortable with him touching her. The need to appear grown up got the best of her. So, she let Jeff rub his hands on her shoulders and after what she considered to be reasonable "grown up woman's amount of time" she shrugged his hands off her shoulders, saying,

"Hey, thanks... that felt great (even though she had hated it, it hadn't felt great. It had been the most uncomfortable few minutes of her life. It made her feel creepy and somewhat violated.). Now I better get back to work if I am going to get home before midnight. See you tomorrow."

Jeff smiled at Rachel and then had the decency to leave saying, "Yep, I better get home to the wife and kiddies. My dinner is probably waiting for me. Nite Rachel."

Rachel tried to focus on the report and finally finished it, later than she had expected. Her mom was waiting when she finally came out of the building and Rachel got in the car without a smile or a hello. Her mother looked at her but left her alone. Thank goodness. I don't want mom to know about this. She just wouldn't understand and she might even make me quit this job. I don't want that. Jeff didn't mean anything by it, I'm sure. I just overreacted.

That evening as Rachel prepared for bed, she convinced herself that she was just being a silly girl and that Jeff meant nothing inappropriate by his actions. She got into bed and as she dozed off she had the thought, I wonder if Jeff is the one who has been sending me those love poems?

**************


The next morning, Rachel got up and dreaded going to work but she forced herself to get ready and go. Surprisingly, her day was uneventful. She focused on her work after she got used to sitting at her desk which was situated with her back to the door. She was thankful that she did not see Jeff at all. The rest of the week went well and on Friday, Gary called her into his office to chat.

"So, Rachel, how are things going for you? I have been really impressed with your work. It is hard to believe that you are still in high school. I was a career military man and worked with many professionals but your work is right up there with their quality of work. I will be giving you a great recommendation when you leave us." Gary smiled.

Rachel heaved a sigh of relief. Thank goodness! I can't believe he thinks my work is great.


"Umm, thanks Gary. I am glad you are happy with my work. I am enjoying it. It feels good to be able to accomplish tasks. I like that a lot. Rachel smiled.

"Well then, we are both happy. that's great. But, I was wondering how you really are? I have noticed you haven't been your usual perky self this past few days. Is everything going okay? Is there anything I can help with?

Rachel's heart sank. She had tried so hard not to show her uncomfortableness after what happened with Jeff. I can't tell Gary. He will think I am a wimp and treat me like a baby. Besides, how embarrassing is it, how would I say that Jeff's simple attempt to be friendly upset me?

"No, Gary, I'm fine. Just had a lot on my mind. I'll try to be better. Don't worry."

"Okay Rachel, I just wanted to be sure. Now, I have to ask you to stay a little later today again, I'm sorry. I have a big meeting first thing Monday morning and I need a couple of reports for that. Could you stay again tonight?"

"Sure Gary, I'll just call my mom to pick me up later. You can count on me. Those reports will be on your desk on Monday." Rachel got up and left to get started on the reports. She absolutely did not want to stay too late. The office was fine when many people were milling around working but she did not want to be there too late ever again.

During lunch with Cynthia, Rachel so desperately wanted to tell her what had happened with Jeff but she held back. Cynthia was about 10 years older than Rachel and she was so sophisticated to Rachel's eyes. She made Rachel laugh so with her stories about her escapades and Rachel felt happy that Cynthia had befriended her. Surely, no one would take advantage of Cynthia like Jeff had done to me

Back in her office, Rachel exclaimed "Finally finished!" Now I can go home. She looked outside and could see that dusk had fallen and it was getting dark. Mom should be here any minute to get me. Quickly, she packed up her bag and headed for the elevator. I'm so glad this week is over. Things seem to be okay and maybe I can put all of this behind me and just work.

Rachel entered the elevator but just as the doors were about to close, a hand shoved between the doors and as they opened, Jeff entered the elevator smiling.

"Hey Rach! I didn't know you were still here. You're working late. Gary is really keeping you busy isn't he? If I had known you were still here, I would have come by and visited for a minute." The way that Jeff looked at her, made her skin start to prickle.

God, why is he still here? "Oh, Hi Jeff. Yeah, Gary keeps me busy but I'm finished now and on my way home. My mom is waiting for me outside so I gotta hurry." Rachel mentioned her mom because for some reason she felt she needed him to know that she wasn't alone, someone was just outside to protect her.

The elevator doors closed and it started its descent to Rachel's freedom and safety. Jeff stood with his back to Rachel for a moment and Rachel saw out of the corner of her eye his arm reach out and he pushed the button to stop the elevator.

"What?" Rachel was stunned and then Jeff turned around quickly and grabbed Rachel pulling her close as could be to him. His hands were everywhere in her hair and touching places on her body he had no right to be touching. All the while he was trying to kiss her. His mouth was clenched to hers, trying to force her mouth open, succeeding and Rachel felt her stomach heave as she tried unsucessfully to push him away, push his hands off her body.

He was hurting her, grasping and clutching her flesh under her clothes. She tried to struggle but he was too strong and it seemed that the more she fought him, the more excited he became. She felt like she was in a nightmare. She twisted her head away from his mouth, "Noooo! Stop Jeff" she cried.

This only spurred him on. For a second she gave up, just went limp, pretended she did not mind. That was the opening she needed. Jeff relaxed his grip for a moment and she jumped away from him to the back corner of the elevator.

He looked shocked as she stood there staring at him, wiping his spit from her mouth, her face, tears streaming from her eyes as she sobbed, "How could you? What did I ever do to you? "

Just then, she was saved as the elevator bell rang and the doors flew open. She ran past Jeff, out into the lobby and to the curb.. Rachel didn’t look back. She peered though the nightly fog of the foothills and saw her mom’s car approaching.

I can’t let mom know this happened, I just can’t Quickly she tried to compose herself. As her mom pulled to the curb, Rachel reached out, grabbed the door handle and jumped in. "Lets go mom, I’m tired and ready for bed."

Her mom laughed, Well, life working as a grown up has worn you out, eh? I can relate to that sweetie. Lets get you home..Tomorrow’s another day.

Tomorrow? Rachel thought, How am I going to go to work tomorrow?
© Copyright 2015 celiasgirl (celiasgirl at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2043152-Never-Been-Kissed---Part-2