*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2044557-The-Sound-of-Sunshine
Rated: E · Essay · Contest Entry · #2044557
A Writers Cramp effort.



The Sound of Sunshine



My eyes opened as they usually do around 5:00 AM. No alarm necessary. My inner clock has been tuned to this time over the course of many years at my day job. Today however, was a Saturday and no need to rise and shine, but I do anyway and make my way downstairs to the coffee maker. A few minutes and the kitchen is filled with that wonderful, wake-me-up aroma. I make my cup and head out to the patio with my German shepherd, Sophie, and the local paper.

I cherish these quiet moments, sipping from my mug and listening for the first sounds of morning. As I read the paper in silence, Sophie gives chase to an unsuspecting squirrel that clambers up a nearby tree and stares blankly back at her, careful to stay just out of reach.

I return to my paper and a single chirp breaks the silence as if to say is anyone else awake yet? It is answered with a yawn like chirp from another nest as slowly the local bird population begins to wake.

I take another sip and my peace is disturbed by a passing motorist who obviously needs his muffler fixed. As the noise fades away I become aware that it is getting lighter and a little noisier as more birds begin their day and several squirrels scurry through low lying branches.

Sophie sits down at my side and nuzzles her head under my hand looking for a nice scratch behind the ear when the first rays of the sun start peeking through the horizon. I finish my coffee and just sit there, taking it all in, ready to face the day.

© Copyright 2015 Jonathan Michaels (defcon4 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2044557-The-Sound-of-Sunshine