*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2045713-I-Cant-Find-It-Anywhere
Rated: E · Short Story · Contest Entry · #2045713
Flash Fiction written for the Daily Flash Fiction Contest
I Can’t Find It Anywhere

Ben was already panicking when I entered the control tower. He was hopping from foot to foot, emitting a high pitched squeal.

“Daisy, please help me,” he begged, “I can’t find it anywhere.”

I steadied my breathing to remain calm. One of us had to and it wasn’t going to be Ben. “Okay,” I said, “don’t worry. We’ll find it. It has to be in here, after all.” I hoped, prayed I was right. Surely they wouldn’t keep it somewhere else. Would they? “Ben, you look left, I’ll look right. Come on, quickly!”

I scanned the names frantically, desperate to find the object of our desire. The trouble was, I didn’t know what it looked like. Would it be obvious, or hidden? My palms started sweating and I was lightheaded. This was so, so bad. On the up side, if we couldn’t find it, the chances were we wouldn’t get into trouble.

“I can’t find it, Daisy,” said Ben, even more desperation clouding his voice. We only have ten minutes left. That’s all.”

“Okay, stay calm. Keep looking. Ben, I need you to think, who else would know its location?”

“There was only one person; the President.”

I glanced at the dead president lying next to the nuclear detonate button. “How did you say he died, Ben?” I asked the terrified Vice President.

“He keeled over, banged his head on the activate button, then he was gone. A heart attack, maybe?”

“Wouldn’t he have the code on him?” I asked.

“He gave it to me. He said engage the purple nuclear button, then enter the code…666666, that’s it!” Ben came alive again.

I scanned, once more, the myriad of buttons and in the middle spotted one big purple switch. “That’s it!” I shouted and the world was swiftly saved.

300 words
© Copyright 2015 Choconut ~ House Targaryen (purplesunday at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2045713-I-Cant-Find-It-Anywhere