*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2045863-Robbie-Part-7
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Young Adult · #2045863
Part 7 focuses on Robbie and Adam's friendship.
         The following Wednesday was another warm February day. It was 2PM and fifty-five degrees. Dressed in just a pair of blue jeans, Adam sits on the couch watching TV. His hair is tied into a man bun. He drinks from a bottle of Heineken. There are three empty bottles on the coffee table.
         Robbie comes in the front door. He's wearing jeans, a white wife beater, work boots, and a Yankees hat at a slight angle.

"Hey Adam. What are you doing home so early?"
"I worked 4AM-12:30PM because they installed new anti-theft devices on the registers at my store. I had to train everyone."
"That sucks, bro."
"It's a complete waste of money. Compared to some other Stop and Shop locations, my store has a low rate of theft."

          Robbie sits next to Adam and takes his hat off. He places it on the coffee table. He runs his hand through his bleached blonde hair.

"My Mom called and I told her I moved in with you. She won't speak to me."
"Really? What was her reaction when you moved to Pennsylvania?"
"That was different. That was for work."
"She wants her almost twenty-nine year old son to live at home?"
"Yeah."

         Adam finishes his beer and places the bottle with the other empties. He gets up, picks up the bottles, and carries them into the kitchen. Robbie follows him and unlocks the sliding glass door. They both go outside. Adam puts the bottles in the recycling bucket.

"What did you do today?" asked Adam as he took a bag of weed, a bowl, and a lighter out of his pocket.
"I had lunch with Roland."

         Adam pours the weed into the bowl, lights it, and takes a hit. He coughs and passes it to Robbie. He takes a hit and coughs. He passes it back to Adam.

"How's he doing?"
"He has a date tonight. It's his first one since his fiance passed away."
"Where are they going?" He takes a second hit and coughs.
"Oldies Night at Club Cosmic."
"That's nice," said Adam. He takes another hit and coughs. He passes it to Robbie.
Robbie takes a hit, coughs and says "I talked Wendy into letting me DJ tonight. That way I can keep and eye on Roland without him thinking I'm spying on him." He takes another hit and coughs and passes it back to Adam.
"Keep an eye on him? Why?"
"I'm concerned about him. With so many online dating scams I want to make sure everything is on the up and up."
"Would you do that for me?"
"I always look out for my friends."
"Thanks, Robbie. I'll be back later. I'm starving." He jiggles his belly.

          The two friends go inside. Robbie sits down on a recliner. Adam goes to his room. When he comes back he has put on a green T-Shirt and blue sneakers. He goes outside and gets in his Nissan Rogue. He puts on his seat belt and drives to Buffalo Wild Wings.
         Adam sees a familiar Red Honda Civic backed into a space. His brother Kevin is still inside. Adam parks five spaces from the Civic. He begins walking towards the restaurant. Kevin gets out of the car. He's five foot 10, 155 pounds with short brown hair, and green eyes. He wears khaki pants, a t-shirt with the MTN Dew logo on it, and flip-flops.

"Mom is very upset." said Kevin.
"I'm not living at home forever."
"You're turning your back on the family."
"Just because I moved out doesn't mean I'm turning my back on the family."
"Yeah, it does."
"She wasn't this upset when I moved to Pennsylvania."
"That was for your job."
"What does Dad think?"
"He's taking Mom's side."

         They walked inside the restaurant and are seated by a short Hispanic man.

"Can I get you guys a drink?"
"MTN Dew," said Adam.
"Pepsi."

         The host leaves the table.

"What are you getting?" asked Kevin.
"Boneless Garlic-Parm Wings."
"Anything else?"
"Nah."
"What are you up to today?"
"Tonight I'm going to Club Cosmic with Robbie."
"Cool."

         A waitress with purple highlights in her hair brings the brothers their sodas. She wears black pants with her Buffalo Wild Wings Jersey top.

"I'm Linette, I'll be your waitress. Are you guys ready to order?"
"My brother and I are going to share a Large Order of Boneless Garlic-Parm wings," said Adam,
"Anything else?"
"That's all, Linette."

          Linette leaves the table.

"Did you know I was coming here?" asked Adam.
"No, I came here to have lunch. My friends were busy, so when I saw you pull in, I decided to have lunch with my big brother."

         Two hours later Adam gets back to Robbie's house. He walks inside and finds Robbie sitting on the recliner reading a Lisa Gardner book. Classical Music is providing background noise.

"Robbie, you're listening to Classical Music?"
"It's good music to read by and the Oldies station is airing a religious sermon, but It's repeating the same thing over and over. Some preacher saying On the 7th Day of the 7th Month at the 7th hour on the day of reckoning.. I don't understand it, but then again I'm not a very religious person."
"Did you call them?"
"Yeah. The voicemail came on Thank-you for calling The Voice of the Lord. Please leave a voicemail after the tone. The voicemail was full.
"The Voice of the Lord? They were still playing Oldies music last night."

"Where did you go for food?" asked Robbie, changing the subject.
"Buffalo Wild Wings and I got screwed over by my brother again."
"How?"
"I ran into him and he said he decided to have lunch with me. When the check came he was like I don't have any money. I paid for both us. What the hell did he do with the $1000 he stole from me last week?"
"Ugh."
"He tried to guilt trip me into moving back home."

          By 6PM Robbie and Adam were nearly ready to head up to Club Cosmic. After a shower Robbie was wearing blue jeans, sneakers, a red Club Cosmic T-shirt, and no earrings. Adam remained dressed in the same clothes he had on earlier.

"Club Cosmic has strict rules for employees who work on Wednesdays. You have to wear a Club Cosmic T-shirt, which I will get for you when we get there. No extreme hairstyles - or hats allowed, so I have to cut your hair. Finally above all else - absolutely no weed smoking."
"You have got to be shitting me. Fine. Whatever. I was thinking about cutting my hair anyway."

         Adam untied his man bun. Robbie took a pair of scissors out of the drawer and cut Adam's hair quickly, but carefully. He throws the hair in the trash can. They go outside, get into Adam's SUV and make the twenty-five minute drive to Club Cosmic.
         Inside the club, Wendy is stocking the bar, while Kandi sits at the bar drinking from a glass of water with two slices of orange in it.

"Good evening ladies," said Robbie. "Adam needs a Club Cosmic shirt."
"In the backroom there's a box on the shelf next to the freezer."

         Robbie sits at the bar and begins to study the menu. Adam goes in the back room to look for a shirt.

"What are you having, Robbie?" asked Wendy.
"Turkey Club and a large Pepsi with two slices of lime in it."

         Wendy gives the order slip to Kandi, who takes it to the kitchen. Adam comes back from the back room, wearing a blue Club Cosmic T-shirt. He sits next to Robbie.

          Roland enters the Club and joins Robbie and Adam at the bar. He wears khaki pants, a black polo shirt, and work boots. His bleached blonde hair is spiked. He also wears black framed glasses and has a gold hoop earring in each ear.

"Hey guys," said Roland.
"Roland! I hear you have a date tonight," said Adam.
"I do. How do I look?"
"You look good, man."

"What time is your date getting here?" asked Robbie.
"7:30."
"Want a beer?"
"Sure. Coors Light."
"Wendy, Roland wants a Coors light."

          Robbie and Adam sit in the DJ booth. It's now 8:30PM. Uptown Girl by Billy Joel is playing. There's about fifty people in the club. Adam eats a Triple Bacon Cheeseburger with a side of nacho cheese sauce.

"I hate DJing on Oldies Night. It's always dead and we're closing early."
"It's sad seeing this place so empty. Fridays and Saturdays you've got this place jumping with 300-400 people both nights."
"Karaoke Night is usually busy too."
"It's like 8:30 and Roland is still sitting alone at the bar."
"I think our boy got stood up."

         The songs winds down. Robbie grabs the microphone and switches it on.

"Roland Allen, please come up to the DJ booth."

         Robbie clicks the play button and Good Vibrations by The Beach Boys began to play. Roland comes up to the DJ booth.

"Hey Roland, what happened to you date?" asked Robbie.
"She never showed up. No phone call. No text. Nothing."
"Want to chill with Adam and me? The Club is closing soon."
"Yeah, sure."
"Cool."

         Robbie got a text telling him to make the Last Call announcement after the song concludes. The song concludes. Robbie switches on the microphone,

"Last call for alcohol. Have a good night everyone."

         The lights in the club come on. Robbie shuts down all the equipment and Adam finishes his burger. The three of them leave the DJ booth, cross the dance floor, and exit the club.

"I need a ride from you guys. I took an Uber here."
"No problem."

         Everyone gets into Adam's SUV and fastens their seat belts. He makes a left onto Wolcott Road.

"We're going to Stop and Stop and Shop to pick up a few things," said Adam.

         It was a fifteen minute drive. Adam parks the SUV near the Pine Street entrance to the store. The trio get out and walk inside.
         Inside the store Adam grabs a shopping cart. Robbie and Roland follow him down the main aisle. Zander Taylor dressed in his Purple button down Stop and Shop shirt with the top three buttons unbuttoned, baggy blue jeans, and work boots is stationed at the self checkout.

"Adam, what up bro?"
"Hey Zander. Robbie and I are having a little get together with our friend Roland. His date stood him up, so we're trying to cheer him up."
"I'm getting out at 9:30. Can I join you guys?"
"What do you mean you're getting out at 9:30? You're on the schedule til Midnight."
"Not any more. Pam Bosco came in at 5PM and threw me on the self checkout. She's doing the closing CDH shift."
"I really wish she'd stop undermining my authority. I'll deal with her tomorrow. Zander you can join us."
"Sweet. I'll leave one self checkout open for you."

          Adam resumes pushing the cart down the main aisle. He rounds the corner to the Produce Department and sees Pam coming out of the backroom with Larry Sweeney. She's 50 years old with permed black hair and purple glasses. She's five foot 5 and has a stocky build. She wears her Purple button down shirt. Larry begins stocking the bananas. Adam turns to Robbie and Roland.

"Guys, go look at frozen appetizers. I need to talk to Pam."
"I thought you weren't going to talk to her until tomorrow," said Robbie.
"I didn't know I was gong to run into her tonight."

         Robbie and Roland walk through the Produce Department and hit the back aisle where the Meat Department is. They walked to the frozen food aisle.

"Pam, where do you get off changing the schedule without my approval?"
"You work mornings and I work at night. You have no authority over me."
"I am the Head CDH. That means I am your boss. I oversee the entire Checkout Department. You do not change the schedule without my approval."
"I've been with this company for fifteen years and should be the Head CDH, not you. Zander should not be the Full-time Assistant CDH."
"I've been with the company for almost six years. Before coming here I was with the Giant Foods division. Zander has been with the company twelve years and was a Part Time Assistant CDH in Unionville."
"I wouldn't count on being Head CDH much longer. I'm going to the Union tomorrow and filing a complaint about you. You'll be lucky if they let you be a Cart Pusher."
"Don't threaten me."

         Pam went back to the Front End. Adam glanced over and noticed Larry was still stocking bananas.

"Larry, how much of that conversation did you hear?"
"All of it, Adam."
"Was I wrong?"
"No. Besides, you are her boss."
"You got my back if she does go to the Union?"
"Absolutely. By the way, what happened to your hair?"
"I had to help Robbie at Club Cosmic they have strict guidelines for employees who work on Wednesdays."
"This isn't Robbie's regular night at Club Cosmic."
"He asked to work tonight."
"Oh okay. See you later."

         Adam walked through the Produce Department and rounded the corner. He grabs a couple packages of steaks and then heads for the frozen food aisle where he found Robbie and Roland. He puts the steaks in the shopping cart.

"Everything okay, Adam?" asked Robbie.
"Yeah. You guys like steak?"
"Sure," said Robbie.
"Absolutely," said Roland.
"What about Spanakopita - Greek Spinach pie?"
"Yeah buddy!" exclaimed Robbie.

         Adam grabbed several boxes of Spanakopita out of the freezer and placed them into the cart.

"What about deviled eggs?" asked Adam.
"Don't they take too long to make?" replied Roland.
"Not when you use pre-made hard boiled eggs."
"Sounds good then."
"Robbie, do we have mayo and mustard at home?"
"No, we don't."

         Adam pushed the cart to the Dairy Department and grabbed four packages of hard boiled eggs. Then they head to the condiment aisle and he grabs a jar of mayo and a bottle of mustard. They go up to the self checkout that.
         Adam scans his loyalty card. He scans all the groceries. Roland bags them. Adam takes out his debit card, swiped it and paid. The trio leave the self checkout. Each grab a bag. Zander is waiting for them on the bench by the exit door. He has taken off his work shirt and now wore a white wife beater.

"Can I get a ride from you guys?"
"Sure, Zander."

         The four friends exit the store and get into Adam's SUV. From there it was about a fifteen minute drive to Robbie's house. Adam parks his SUV in the driveway next to Robbie's. Everyone gets out and goes into the house.
         In the kitchen Robbie unpacks the bags of groceries.

"Adam, go outside and start grilling the steaks. I'll start prepping the Spanakopita and deviled eggs."
"What about me?" asked Zander.
"You and Roland should get to know each other."

         Adam, Zander, and Roland go out to the back deck. Adam turns the propane tank under the grill on and pushes the ignition button. The grill fires to life. He opens the storage area beneath the grill and takes out a pepper shaker and tongs. He opens one package of streaks and heavily seasons the steaks with pepper. Using the tongs he puts two of the the steaks on the grill. He repeats the process with the other two steaks.
         Adam goes inside and throws the trash out. He washes his hands and watches Robbie prep the deviled eggs. He takes off his T-shirt.

"How's it going, Adam?"
"Steaks are on the grill. Roland and Zander are getting to know each other. How's everything going in here?"
"Spanakopita is in the oven. The deviled eggs will be ready in less than ten minutes."

          Adam went back outside. He checks the steaks and sits on a chair in-between Roland and Zander.

"Isn't kind of cold to be out here without a shirt on?" asked Zander.
"I like how the chilly air feels on my body. How are you guys doing?"
"Roland was just telling me about the death of his fiance."
"That's sad. I don't know Roland very well and don't know that story."

"It's why I quit my job at KMART," said Roland. "I had to work an extra shift and her uncle picked her up on his motorcycle. He got into an accident and they both died."
"Wow!" exclaimed Adam.
"You'd think that would be the end of the story, but it's not. The next day when I call out and ask for Bereavement Time,they wouldn't give it to me because she wasn't my family. Two months before our wedding and they told me she wasn't my family, so I quit. A few months later your friends Greg and Robbie hired me. I've never looked back. I enjoy working there.

         Adam gets up, goes to the grill and flips the steaks. He seasons them with pepper. Robbie comes out carrying a plate of deviled eggs and stack of napkins. He puts them on a table and turns on the stereo. Hip-hop music begins playing.

"The Spanakopita will be ready in another ten minutes."
"So about the same time the steaks will be ready," said Adam.
"Yeah."

         Robbie sat down and took a joint and lighter out of his pocket. He lights it and takes a hit. He coughs and takes a second hit. He coughs again.

"Robbie, pass that bad boy over here," said Zander.

         Robbie passes the joint to Zander. He takes two hits, coughs, and passes it back to Robbie. He takes two hits and passes it back to Zander.

"You can finish that," said Robbie, standing up.

         He walks over and grabs a couple deviled eggs and pops them into his mouth. He goes inside and returns carrying plates and flatware for the steaks. Adam gets up and takes them from him. He stacks them next to the grill. Using tongs Adam removes the steaks from the grill.

"Steaks are done, guys."

         Everyone got up to get a steak. Robbie brought out sodas and beers for everyone. Everyone begins eating.

"Very good steak, Adam," said Roland. He takes a sip of soda. "This definitely makes me feel better."
"You're welcome, bro. And let me say the bitch who stood you up can rot in hell."

         Everyone agreed. The party wound down around 1AM. Everyone went inside to sleep it off.

          The first Friday in June was warm. It was nearly seventy degrees at 9AM. Robbie and Adam are putting their suitcases in the back of Robbie's GMC Terrain. Robbie is taking Adam on a brocation for his twenty-ninth birthday, which was Memorial Day weekend.
         Adam was wearing tan cargo shorts, a lime green T-shirt, and blue sneakers. He had lost twenty-five pounds and was down to 240.
         Robbie wore blue jeans, a white wife beater, a partially buttoned green plaid shirt, and work boots. As was normal he had a diamond stud earring in each ear and his bleached blonde hair was spiked.

"Are we all set to go?" asked Robbie.
"Yeah, let's go."

         The two friends get into the SUV. Robbie backs out of the driveway and takes off down Pleasant Street. He turns the stereo on and hip-hop music begins playing. He puts on his sunglasses.

"Robbie, get gas at Stop and Shop. I have 40 cents off."
"Are you sure?"
"Yeah, bro."
"Thanks."
"When we get there drop me off in front of the store. I wanna get something inside."
"Not a problem."

         The shopping center where Stop and Shop is located was nearly deserted. Robbie lets Adam out in front of the Pine Street entrance to the store. He backs into a space that fronts Pine Street. He opens up the console, takes out a joint, lights it, and smokes it. He puts drops of Visine in each eye.
         Five minutes later Adam comes out of the store carrying a tray from Dunkin' Donuts containing two Coolotas. He walks to where Robbie is parked and gets into the SUV. He gives one to Robbie and keeps the other for himself.

"Thanks, Adam."
"Yours is strawberry. Mine is strawberry and blue-raspberry mixed together."

         Robbie makes a disgusted face and takes a sip of his Coolota. He drives up to a gas pump. Adam gives him his Stop and Shop card. Robbie gets out scans the Stop and Shop card and his debit card and fills up the Terrain with gas. He squirts some hand sanitizer on his hands and gets back into the SUV. He gives the card back to Adam.

"Thanks, bro."
"No problem. Would it be okay if we stopped for lunch near Philly?"
"Sure. This brocation is for your birthday. We can do whatever you want. Take the GPS out of the glove box."

         Adam takes the GPS out and plugs it in. He programs it and mounts it on the windshield.

"Chickie's and Pete's. It's a Philly area sports bar chain. This one is in Audubon."
"I remember them from Dorney Park last summer. I didn't know they were a chain."

         Robbie drives out of the parking lot and takes a right onto Lincoln Avenue. He then makes a right onto Route 72 and they begin the drive to Pennsylvania.
         Robbie closed the windows and turned on the air conditioner. It was a beautiful day for a drive. The sky was blue, the sun was shining, and the traffic wasn't too heavy.

"Robbie, I'm so happy we reconnected as friends."
"Me too, bro."

         It was nearly 2PM when they arrived at Chickie's and Pete's. Robbie parked the SUV in a space away from other vehicles. He opened the windows. Adam opened the center console and took a joint and lighter out. He lit it and smoked it. When he was finished he closed the windows and they get out of the SUV. As they walked across the parking lot Adam puts a couple drops of Visine in each eye and then sprayed himself with body spray.

         Inside the restaurant they are seated by a male host. He gives them menus.

"Can I get you guys something to drink?"
"Coke," said Adam.
"Make it two," said Robbie.
"Coming up."

         The host takes off. Seated two tables over is Larry Sweeney the Produce Clerk at Adam's store.

"Hey, Larry! What are you doing here?" called Adam.
"Hey, Duckie! I'm here with my girlfriend, Blue. She wanted to go on a shopping spree at the King of Prussia Mall. She's in the bathroom right now."
"Don't call me, Duckie. You're going out with Blue who works in the pharmacy?"
"Yeah. She's slammin' hot."
"Good luck."

"Why did Larry call you Duckie?" asked Robbie in a whisper.
"Because my dumb ass younger brother has on his Facebook Page that his nickname is Duckie," Adam responded in a whisper.


         A waitress brought the sodas to Adam and Robbie's table.

"I'm Mellie. I'll be your waitress. What can I get you guys?"
"My buddy Robbie here is a Crab Fry virgin, so bring us each an order of Crab Fries. I'll have the Jumbo Lump Crab Cake Sandwich."
"I'll have the Mushroom Swiss Burger. Medium well."
"Okay. Let me put that in for you."

         Mellie leaves the table. Larry and Blue leave the table where they were sitting to leave the restaurant.

"Bye, Adam. Bye Robbie."
"See you later, Larry," said Adam.

         Blue ignored Adam.

"She doesn't seem too friendly," said Robbie.
"It's because I won't sleep with her."
"Why would you say that?"
"She's been boinked by nearly every male employee there. Within my first two weeks she asked me out about five times and I turned her down. Zander has also turned her down."
"That's gross, bro."

         Mellie brought the Crab Fries to the table.

"I hope you enjoy these, guys." said Mellie.
"Thank-you," said Adam.

         Mellie departs the table.

"Wow! I didn't know you get so many in an order," said Robbie. "One order would've been plenty for the two of us."
"Try them. You'll eat the whole basket."

         Robbie eats a few Crab Fries, dipping them in the cheese sauce."

"What do you think?"
"They're good. I wonder why they're not served at places up in Connecticut."
"Good question."
"They seem simple enough to make. Crinkle fries with Old Bay Seasoning and a melted cheese sauce."
"Yeah, Old Bay Seasoning and I don't know what else. That's American Cheese in the cheese sauce."

         A few minutes later Mellie brought the guys their entrees. She puts them down in front of them. She also leaves the check on the table.

"Let me know if you guys need anything else."

         Mellie leaves the table. Adam and Robbie begin to eat their food. When they are finished Adam takes out his wallet and leaves fifty-five dollars on the table for their meal plus a tip. They leave the restaurant.
         Outside Adam gets into the driver's side of the Terrain and Robbie gets in the passenger's side. Adam starts the SUV, they buckle their seat belts, and he drives to the nearby Wawa to get gas. He pulls up to a pump. He gets out scans his Wawa credit card and begins pumping gas. Then he replaces the nozzle and gets back in the SUV.

"I'm programming the GPS for the Double Tree Hotel in Richmond, Virginia," said Robbie as he takes the GPS off the windshield to program it. Says we should get there in about about four hours and fifteen minutes. I'll say at least five hours."
"You're probably right, Robbie." He mounts the GPS to the windshield.

         Adam follows the GPS directions. They pulled into the parking lot of the hotel just before 9PM since they ran into heavy traffic. Adam pulls into a parking space. They get out of the SUV and Robbie takes the suitcases out of the rear of the vehicle. They each carry their suitcase into the hotel.
          Inside the hotel lobby there is no one in line at the Front Desk. There is an attractive Hispanic female behind the desk. Her name badge reads Marisol.

"Good Evening. How may I help you?"
"Hi, Marisol, we're checking in. The name is Robert Mullens." Robbie takes his driver's license and debt card out of his wallet.
"Thank-you, Mr. Mullens," said Marisol as she typed things into the computer. "And you're staying with us til Sunday?"
"Yes."
"And you're in a room with two beds?"
"Yes."
"Okay. How many key cards do you want?"
"Two."
"Okay. You guys are in room 415 and you are all set." She hands Robbie the key cards along with his license and debit card.
"Thank-you."
"You're very welcome. You guys enjoy your stay."

         The guys walk over to the bank of elevators. Adam pushes the Up button. The doors to one of the elevators opens and they get in. Robbie pushes the button for the 4th floor. The elevator quickly delivers them to the fourth floor. The doors open. They follow the signs to Room 415. Robbie inserts the key card into the door and opens the door.
         They enter the room. Robbie turns on a light.They put their suitcases on the floor in-between the two beds. Adam sits on one of the beds.

"Robbie, you can use the bathroom first."
"Thanks, Adam."

         Robbie takes some clothes out of his suitcase and goes into the bathroom. Adam takes out his phone. He begins checking his text messages. He chuckles at one of them.

"What a moron," he says to himself.

         Adam turns on the bedside radio and found a Hip-hop station on 92.1 FM. He takes off his socks, sneakers, and T-shirt.
         Robbie returns to the room from the bathroom. He now wears khaki pants and a black sleeveless T-shirt.

"Robbie, my idiot brother sent me a text message wishing me a Happy Birthday and said he couldn't remember when my birthday was."
"We lost touch while you were living in Pennsylvania, but I still remember your birthday is May 26th."
"That's right," said Adam as he takes clothes out of his suitcase. He takes them into the bathroom.

         Robbie sits on the other bed and puts on socks and sneakers. He takes his phone out trying to find somewhere he and Adam can go.
         When Adam came out of the shower he had on blue jeans and a red T-shirt. He sits on the other bed and put on his socks and sneakers.

"Adam, how would you like to go to a Country themed night club?"
"That might be fun."
"They have a mechanical bull."
"I'm going to conquer that fucker."

         Robbie and Adam leave the hotel room. They ride the elevator down to the lobby. They exit the hotel and get into Robbie's SUV. From the hotel it is a short drive to the Blue Rooster Country Night Club. The parking lot is nearly full. The building is shaped like a big red barn and true to its name there's a huge blue rooster on the roof.
         Inside, Robbie paid the cover charge for both of them. There were two bartenders at the bar. A short curvy female wearing short shorts, a red plaid shirt tied below her ample breasts, and a white cowboy hat. There was a long line of men waiting to get drinks from her. The other bartender was a male. He wore jeans, a red t-shirt, and a white cowboy hat. There was no one at his section of the bar. Not wanting to wait in a long line just to get a drink from a sexy female bartender, Robbie and Adam immediately walked over to the male bartender.

"What are guys drinking?" asked the bartender.
"Two Coors Light," sad Robbie.

         The bartender took two bottles out of the cooler and placed them on the bar.

"$7.50," said the bartender.

         Robbie takes a ten out of his wallet. He gives it to the bartender.

"Keep the change, bro."

         Robbie and Adam take their beer. They walk through the crowded dance floor, where a group was line dancing, while others were just doing their own thing. They find an empty table up on the stage near the DJ booth. They sit down. There were five people lined up at the mechanical bull. They both down their beers.

"You going to ride the bull?" asked Robbie.
"Not right now."
"I thought you were going to conquer it."
"I changed my mind."
"I'm going to ride it."

         Robbie walks down the stairs and gets in line to ride the bull. There were two people ahead of him. He paid the $5 to the bull operator and signed the waiver. Five minutes later the bull operator was helping Robbie onto the bull.

"I'm going to start slow and gradually increase the speed.'
"Cool. Bring it on."

         Robbie rode the bull for a full minute. He didn't get thrown off. He had conquered it. The operator helped him down and he went back up to his table, where Adam was drinking another beer. Robbie sits down at the table.

"Great job," said Adam.
"Thanks. It was fun. You sure you don't want to ride it?"
"I'm sure."
"Are you enjoying yourself?"
I'm enjoying watching everyone line dancing."
"Have you ever tried line dancing?"
"Yeah. Greg and I went to Club Gator in Southington Memorial Day Weekend. It was alright."
"Was it busy?"
"No. It was about as dead as Club Cosmic was during Oldies Night a few months ago."

         Adam finished his second beer. He climbs off the stage and walks over to the bar. A few minutes later he returned with two beers. He gives one to Robbie.

"Thanks, bro. This will be my last beer tonight. I've gotta drive. Drunk driving isn't cool."
"Yeah, no shit. When I was working in King of Prussia a drunk driver hit and killed an elderly woman in our parking lot."
"Yikes!"

         They both sip from their beers.

"You've been at Stop and Shop for six months now. How do you like it?"
"It's a slower store than Giant was, but it's pretty decent. For the most part I have a pretty good crew. No issues really, except for that bitch Pam."
"Can't you fire her?"
"It's very hard to fire someone from a Union Store."
"So what are you going do?"
"I don't know. I don't want to complain to the Store Manager. I miss my boy Devon. At Giant in Bethlehem we alternated as the closing CDH."

         Robbie and Adam leave the club just after Midnight. Robbie drives to The Waffle House. The parking lot is packed. They share a joint before heading inside.
         Inside the restaurant there is a twenty minute wait for a table. When they are seated Robbie orders a grilled chicken sandwich and a Sprite. Adam orders a bowl of Chili, a pork chop dinner, and a root beer.
         Twenty-five minutes later their food came. They begin eating their food.

         It was after 2AM when Robbie and Adam got back to the hotel. They enter the lobby and get into the elevator and ride up to the fourth floor. They walk to their room.
         Inside the room Adam went into the bathroom. Robbie takes off his all his clothes except for his boxers. He grabs a pair of basketball shorts and a wife beater out of his suitcase. He puts them on and climbs into bed. When Adam comes out of the bathroom he wears just a pair of sweat pants. He climbs into his bed and turns off the lights.

         Robbie wakes up at 6:45AM. He notices Adam is awake and fully dressed. He wears tan cargo shorts, a blue T-shirt, socks, and sneakers.

"Where are you going?" asked Robbie, groggily.
"Downstairs to the buffet. Come with me."
"Dude, we just ate at the Waffle House a few hours ago. There's no fucking way I'm going down to the buffet."
"Fine. Stay here. More for me then. I'm fucking starving."
"That's why you're so fucking fat!"

         Robbie pulled the covers over his head and attempts to fall back asleep. Adam leaves their room. Twenty minutes later Robbie was unable to fall back asleep. He throws the covers off the bed, gets up, takes some clothes out of his suitcase and goes into the bathroom.
         Twenty minutes later Robbie emerged from the bathroom dressed in khaki pants and a partially buttoned green plaid shirt over a white wife beater. His hair was spiked. He sits on the bed and puts on his socks and work boots. He leaves the hotel room, gets into his SUV, and drives to the Food Lion Supermarket.

         Inside the supermarket Robbie grabs a banana from the Produce Department and a bottle of orange juice from the Dairy Department. He goes to the checkout where a woman named Darlene rang him up.

"Didn't I see you at The Blue Rooster last night?"
"Yeah."
"Good job riding the mechanical bull."
"Thanks."
"You going back tonight?"
"No. My buddy and I are heading back to Connecticut tonight after we catch a Flying Squirrels Game."
"That's too bad. Have a safe trip.
"Thank-you."

         Robbie swipes his debit card, paying for his stuff. He takes his bag and receipt and leaves the store. He sits in his SUV eating his banana and drinking his juice with the hip-hop station cranked up. When he was done with his breakfast he drove back to the hotel.

          Robbie enters his hotel room and finds Adam sitting in the recliner next to the window watching Sponge Bob. Robbie sits on his bed.

"Adam, we should get going. It's 9AM."
"The game doesn't start til 1PM."
"If we don't leave, housekeeping won't be able to clean the room."
"Where are we going?"
"We'll find somewhere to go."

         The game ended just after 4PM. The Richmond Flying Squirrels defeated The Hartford Yard Goats seven to four. Robbie and Adam made their way through the crowd of people exiting the stadium. Eventually they reached the parking lot. They get into Robbie's SUV and join the line of traffic waiting to exit the stadium.

"Thanks for the game, Robbie."
"No, problem, bro. What do you want for dinner?"
"Let's see what they've got at Food Lion."
"Works for me."

         Robbie drives them to Food Lion. They go inside. Both ended up buying sandwiches and sodas for dinner - roast beef and cheese and a Coke for Adam. Turkey and Cheese and a MTN. Dew for Robbie. They pay for the food and drive back to the hotel. They were content to spend the rest of the night eating and watching TV.

         Robbie sits on the bed closest to the bathroom reading a Lisa Gardner book. He wears black basketball shorts and a white wife beater. The bedside clock radio says 10:15PM. Hip-hop music plays.
         Adam sits on the recliner next to the window. He wears just a pair of blue jeans. A bottle of Hersey's chocolate syrup and a can of Reddi-wip sits on the table.

"Hey, Robbie, watch this!"
"What?" asks Robbie putting his book down.

         Adam opens the bottle of chocolate syrup and squirts some into his mouth. Then he opens up the Reddi-wip and shoots some into his mouth.

"What the fuck are you doing?"
"I'm a human sundae," said Adam with his mouth full.
"That's fucking disgusting, bro."

         Adam swallows the sundae toppings and then says "How is it disgusting? It's no different than an ice cream sundae."
"It's majorly different."
"It is not." He squirts more chocolate syrup and Reddi-wip into his mouth and swallows it.

         Robbie shakes his head in disgust.

"Can you do me a favor, Robbie."
"What's that?"
"I want you to rub my belly."
"No, I won't rub your belly. That should be something your girlfriend should do."
"Come on. It's nice and jiggly."
"No, bro. Damn. Are you drunk?"
"There's nothing wrong with a man asking another man to rub his belly."
"No Adam."
"Come on, bro."
"I'm going to sleep now and if I wake up to your hand down my shorts I will shove your fat ass through that fourth floor window."

         Robbie puts his book on the table next to the clock radio. He turns the radio off and lay down in the bed. He pulls the covers over his head. Adam takes off his jeans, puts on his sweat pants, turns off the light and gets into bed and falls asleep.

         Robbie awoke the next morning at 6AM. He took some clothes out of his suitcase and goes into the bathroom to take a shower.
         Fifteen minutes later he comes out of the shower dressed in baggy blue jeans and a partially buttoned blue plaid shirt. Adam was just waking up.

"Sorry about last night, Robbie. I was just joking around."
"It's alright, bro."

         Adam goes into the bathroom. Robbie puts on his socks and work boots. He straightens up the hotel room. He carries his suitcase out of the room and carries it to the elevator. He rides down to the lobby and carries it outside. He walks to the parking lot and puts the suitcase in his SUV.
         Robbie goes back up to the hotel room and found Adam packing his suitcase. He wore jeans, a T-shirt, and flip flops.

"Adam, bring your suitcase out to the Terrain and I'll meet you in the lobby. We can have breakfast."
"Sure, Robbie. I need the key fob."

         Robbie reaches into his pocket and gives the key fob to Adam. He leaves the room. Robbie quickly scans the room making sure they haven't forgotten anything. He leaves the room and rides the elevator to the lobby.
         Robbie and Adam walk into the hotel's restaurant to have breakfast. After indulging in the buffet, Adam goes outside and gets into the Terrain. Robbie goes to the Front Desk and checks out. He then goes outside and gets into his SUV.

"I've got one more surprise for your birthday brocation, Adam."
"What's that? It's already been a great birthday."
"We're going to King's Dominion amusement park."
"Cool. You know I love amusement parks. When I lived in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania I had a season pass to Dorney amusement park."

         It was a forty minute drive to King's Dominion. They spent about three hours walking around and riding the rides. It was after two when they left the amusement park.
         They begin the drive home and hit heavy traffic in DC. They stop at celebrity chef Guy Fieri's restaurant in Baltimore. The food was good, but Robbie and Adam were disappointed that Guy had to cancel his appearance at the restaurant. They made it home safely to Connecticut just after midnight.

Read Part 8:

https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2221862-Robbie-Part-8


© Copyright 2015 Marc B 1982 (slydogg at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2045863-Robbie-Part-7