*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2046020-Just-a-Few-Inches
Rated: 13+ · Novel · Young Adult · #2046020
Carrie wants to slim down before the dance, but diet pills make her slowly shrink instead.
Just a Few Inches is a Young Adult novel that deals with issues of body image, self-esteem, and teenage relationships. It is intended for readers age 13 and up. The complete novel is available in paperback and eBook formats at major online retailers.

Copyright © 2015 by Tara St. Pierre
All rights reserved.
No part of this book may be reproduced in any form without permission in writing from the author.

- - - - -


Before


Do you want to lose weight fast? Do you want to fit into last summer’s swimsuit again? Do you want to cut your dress size in half in sixty days? Don’t wait any longer! Inches Away Weight Reduction Pills will boost your metabolism and break down fat cells with no significant changes to your diet or exercise regime needed. Try them today, and watch them take off those unwanted inches for you!

Those unwanted inches? That’s what the fast-talking male voiceover said in the television ad, spoken as if all women would want them taken off. In my Journalism and Media Studies class, I had learned and understood the marketing strategies of the pill’s makers before I even bought them. With twenty-twenty hindsight, I’m ashamed to admit that I let the ad prey upon my desperation, and I’m ashamed at how superficial what I was desperate about was.

As I think about those supposed unwanted inches, only just a few of them—if even that many—were unwanted. The others, I wanted to keep. But they were taken off too, from places I never imagined they could be taken off, all because of those stupid…

No, I won’t preface anything I write with a statement of blame like that. It would come across with an extreme bias, and I need to behave more like the journalist I had been studying to become. So I’ll begin with simple, unbiased facts.

My name is Carrie Roberts. When I first saw the ad that February, I was a senior in high school, a few months after turning eighteen. I got decent grades—not top-of-the-class super-smart grades—but I did my homework regularly with the goal of getting into college, probably a state school since my reach school truly was a reach for me. I never got more than an occasional C on report cards, so I considered myself at least a slightly above average student. I was also quite active—not just physically fit—and was almost always on the go with an extremely busy schedule during my senior year. I live in Montvale, Maryland, part of a typical middle-class blended family: I have a mother, a stepfather, a younger stepsister, and an even younger half-sister.

But you want the measurements, the factual numbers, since this is all about unwanted inches. The before Carrie stood five feet, eight inches tall, which is above average for a female my age. I weighed—well, you don’t ask a woman her weight—so let’s just say for now that I was well within the range that is considered ideal for my height. I eventually learned I was in the lower half of that range, so I suppose that made me below average in that regard.

And therein lies the irony—and I thank my English teachers for correctly teaching me the concept. You would think that a girl of below average weight for her height wouldn’t have unwanted inches, let alone have a need or a desire to take them off. But I did. I could blame society, or the media, or over-exposed celebrities, or the way my classmates looked at me in the hallways and the gym, or whatever else for the unreal feminine ideals imposed upon my body, but again, that would be laying blame elsewhere. As I said, it was an act of desperation that led me to a method to take off those few unwanted inches.

I was above average height, below average weight, a slightly above average student, applying to average colleges, from an averaged-income family, living in a mid- (average?) Atlantic state. Average all those together and I clearly come across as just an average girl. But I don’t particularly care for the word average after all that has happened to me. Journalists—all writers—pick and choose their words carefully and precisely, so instead, I’m opting to use the word normal.

Back then, my life was as normal as it could possibly be. I was a normal eighteen-year-old girl—worried about my senior year of high school, my looks, my clothes, my popularity, my grades, my college applications, the upcoming Valentine’s Sweetheart Dance, my boyfriend, and whether I was ready for sex or not. As angst-ridden as all these worries could be at times, it was comfortable to know that they were my worries, and that it was absolutely expected for me to have them. It was perfectly normal for me to have them.

Like I said, everything about me was normal.

Until I started losing inches.


5’ 8”, 135 lbs.


Even a few inches can make a difference.

The basketball swooshed as it passed through the net. Just a few inches off in any direction and it would have bounced on the metal rim, maybe into the basket or maybe away and into the hands of a jumping member of the opposing team. But with only two minutes left to play in the game, that accurate three-point shot finally put the Montvale Tigers ahead. The spectators in the gym started chanting Todd Pembroke’s name.

He was the captain of the team, a four-year varsity player for Montvale High, top scorer the previous year, and among a handful of players in Tigers history to score over a thousand career points. He had already been recruited by colleges and committed to the University of North Carolina. And he was my boyfriend.

Coach McCarthy called a time-out, which was our cue to work the crowd. “Gimme a T!” we’d call out, and the crowd repeated every letter we asked for until Tigers was spelled.

We had been sitting in the front row of the home-side stands waiting in anticipation for the Tigers to at least tie up the game. Even though we were all dressed the same—TIGERS emblazoned in orange letters across the black background of the top half of the V-shell sweater, and the traditional multi-pleated skirt, also orange and black—once we leapt up, I was easy to pick out back then. At five-foot-eight, I was one of the tallest girls on the squad.

Though we were the same height, cheer captain Janelle Taylor acted like she was taller, always looking down her nose at others. She had been Todd’s girlfriend before I was, even though she had dumped him in the fall to date the quarterback of the football team. Todd and I got together at the start of the basketball season, and I sometimes wondered if I was his rebound girlfriend or if he still harbored some feelings for Janelle. That didn’t bother me as much as the way Janelle flirted with him like she knew he wasn’t over her, and I feared that maybe she was trying to break the two of us up.

When the game resumed, I sat on the bench between my two closest friends, Trish Simmons and Lauren Burke. Though most of my attention was on the game, particularly on Todd who had just caught a rebound of an opponent’s missed shot, I kept a watchful eye on Janelle further down the bench. She was also watching Todd, but I was convinced she was watching in more than the usual faithful fan of the team kind of way. Her lips were pursed as she gawked at him.

“Carrie,” whispered Lauren. “Why do you do this to yourself?”

“Do what?” I asked, pretending not to notice that she had been watching me watch Janelle watch Todd.

“You know, torture yourself about you-know-who. Just because Todd was with her once doesn’t mean he wants her back.” Lauren glanced over her shoulder to make sure no one else, especially Janelle, could hear.

“You know her type,” added Trish, twirling a curl in her red hair. “Doesn’t want the cute guy anymore but doesn’t want anyone else to want him either.”

When the blaring horn signified the end of the game, Montvale had won by three points. The team had won fifteen out of sixteen games, and with only four to go, they were predicted to win the Maryland state championship. While fans applauded and cheered in the stands, the squad sprung off the bench and started our Tigers victory cheer.

Across the court, Todd glanced at me and I smiled back. Then his eyes panned across the squad and stopped dead center. There was Janelle, jumping up and down.

“It’s her chest,” I said point-blankly to Trish and Lauren in the locker room after the game.

“Huh?” asked Lauren, as her brown hair popped through the grey sweatshirt she was pulling over her cheering top.

“Her breasts are huge, and they bounce around whenever she does. Guys get turned on by that kind of thing.” I had taken off my sweater and was staring at my bust. Not as big as Janelle’s. “I mean, look at mine.”

“Carrie, don’t do this.” Lauren walked toward the bathroom stalls to finish changing out of her uniform.

“Mine are so—”

“There’s nothing wrong with your boobs.” Trish put her arm around my shoulder and shook me. “They’re cute and perky. I mean, come on, my chest’s like a piece of plywood, and you don’t hear me complaining.”

Trish had me there. From taking dance classes her entire life, she had the stereotypical dancer’s body—slender, almost as tall as I was, but lean, with a flat stomach and strong legs. Even though I’d seen her scarf down countless candy bars over the years, I had never seen her gain any weight. Her high metabolism and activity rate played in her favor and kept her slim, but I knew from experience that if I ate as much chocolate as she did, it would go right to my hips.

“Then what is it?” I asked. “Her legs? Guys like long legs. Are hers longer than mine?”

“Doubtful,” said Trish. “You two lift and support me in the routine, so aren’t you the same height?”

Again, Trish was right, so I ended that line of reasoning before she could remind me I was an inch or two taller than her. “Well, it’s got to be something,” I insisted, slipping into a loose, floral-print dress.

By this time, Lauren had returned wearing a pair of jeans. “You know what it is? It’s your overactive imagination.”

“Lauren’s right,” added Trish. “You’re gorgeous, Carrie.”

Undoing my long hair from its ponytail, I wondered if it was all about hair color. I was a blonde, kind of; Janelle, a brunette. Which did Todd prefer? “So why is Janelle prettier?”

Then she walked by—more accurately strutted by—wearing a little black dress. It clung to her body and accentuated her model-like proportions: her ample bust, her flat stomach, her narrow waist, and the curve of her hips. Below the short skirt stemmed her sleek legs, extended by a pair of three-inch heels which made her taller than me. The outfit wasn’t necessarily appropriate for school, but since it was Friday evening after the game, she was probably heading out somewhere.

“It’s not that she’s prettier,” said Trish. “She dresses that way just to get the boys’ attention.”

Trish wasn’t incorrect, but I wasn’t fully listening. I kept thinking about how without the high heels, Janelle and I were the same height. The same height, but clearly not the same size. She was bigger on top and overall skinnier than I was, the perfect combination for turning boys’ heads. “How much do you think she weighs?”

Before Trish could answer me, Lauren turned around and said, “Carrie, I’m not going to encourage you to continue this discussion. It’s pointless.”

“I could stand to lose a few pounds, or at least a few inches.” My hands drifted down to my stomach while my eyes stayed fixed on Janelle, now talking to her entourage. “Don’t you think so?”

When no answer came, I looked around to see that Trish had popped in her earphones and Lauren had left the room. I suppose that if I had been forced to listen to myself then, I’d have tuned me out too.

I walked out of the locker room and was greeted by Todd. He kissed me on the forehead.

Perhaps Trish and Lauren were right. Todd only had eyes for me. “Another great job tonight,” I told him as I wrapped my arms around him. He had worked up a sweat from running back and forth on the court all game, but his scent was intoxicating. “I’m proud of you.”

“Thanks, Short-Stuff.” He rested his chin on my head.

I cracked a smile at his ironic pet name for me. I wasn’t short by any measure, but because he was the school’s star basketball player, he was naturally taller—about six-foot-five. We joked about how our heights were perfect for one another: not only did he get a girlfriend but a custom-sized chin rest as well.

Then I supposed Janelle would have been the perfect height for him too. She emerged from the locker room and passed by with her perfume-scented clique. Maybe it was paranoia on my part, fueled by my own insecurities, but I thought I felt Todd’s head turn to watch Janelle’s butt wiggle as she walked away.

* * *


The next day, Trish, Lauren, and I went to the mall. Todd had already asked me to go to the Valentine’s Sweetheart Dance with him, so I needed to buy a new dress. I wanted one that would look absolutely fabulous on me so it would remind him that I—not Janelle—was his girlfriend.

We wandered into a shop where slender mannequins displayed the fashions on sale. The fake plastic women were just that: fake and unbelievably proportioned. No one looked that perfect. No one, except maybe Janelle Taylor.

Trish giddily skipped ahead to check out the dresses, while Lauren tugged on my sleeve and said, “Let’s get outta here. This place is way too trendy.”

Lauren hated shopping and only came with us because we dragged her along. She didn’t care much about fashion, often sticking to baggy sweatshirts and blue jeans. We had been friends all through high school, and I only rarely saw her in a dress or skirt, with the obvious exception of her cheerleading uniform, and I knew if she didn’t enjoy cheering so much, she wouldn’t wear it.

Trish flagged us over to the dresses, and when I got there, she slung a blur of red fabric over and around me. “This is it!”

Before I could get more than a glimpse of the dress or read the price tag to know how much of my babysitting money it’d cost me, Trish was pushing me towards the changing room while Lauren lingered behind. I trusted Trish’s fashion sense unconditionally, so I went inside and put on the dress without a second thought.

I almost didn’t recognize the reflection staring in awe back at me. The red halter dress had a plunging neckline, and its pleated skirt hung just above my knees. I was showing leg, bare shoulders, and cleavage. Lots of cleavage. But the dress made me look glamorous and beautiful. Even sexy.

“What do you think?” said Trish after knocking on the door. “Perfect, isn’t it?”

When I strutted out of the dressing room, Trish’s face lit up as she jumped and applauded.

“I want it,” I sighed dreamily.

“You’ll freeze to death,” commented Lauren, who appeared small, standing farther behind with her arms folded across her chest.

“No, she won’t.” Trish shook her head. “The gym will be stuffy with all the people there. I’ve got a wrap that’ll go great with it and keep you warm enough going there and back.”

I turned around and said, “Now help me zip up.”

When Trish took hold of the zipper, Lauren said, “I’m not sure it’ll fit. From the back, it looks too small for you.”

“We’re gonna try, okay?”

“Almost there,” announced Trish.

The dress tightened around my waist, and I gasped. “How much more?”

“Just a few inches.” Trish grunted. “One or two left.”

This was the dress. I had to have it. There had to be some way I could fit in it. “Keep trying,” I said as I held my breath.

Trish managed to close the zipper, but I could barely breathe, so she quickly let the tension loose out of fear of ripping the dress.

Lauren added, “I knew it was too small.”

“You mean I’m too big.” In despair, I trudged back into the dressing room to put my street clothes back on.

“Maybe there’s another,” called Trish, whose voice had grown softer because she had gone out to go look.

Dejected, I emerged from the dressing room. Trish had already sifted through the racks but couldn’t find a larger size of the same dress. Lauren pulled out a few similarly styled or colored dresses for me to try on, but I refused. I was unwilling to let go of the red dress in my hands because I knew—I could feel it deep inside of me—that it was the one. The only one like it in the store, and it was just one size off. Under normal circumstances, I might have overcome my stubbornness, but instead, matters got worse. Janelle and her clique walked into the store.

“Well, look who we have here,” she said in her patronizing voice. “What a surprise seeing the three of you.”

“Hello, Janelle,” I groaned.

She examined the dress. “Nice choice. Red is Todd’s favorite color. I read in some fashion mag that guys are more...you know...when you wear their favorite color.” She looked at the tag inside the dress. “Just my size. Too bad it won’t fit you. If you don’t want it, I’ll gladly take it.”

That was the last straw. If she had the dress, she’d use it to win Todd back, and I couldn’t let that happen. I marched to the cashier and paid for a dress that didn’t even fit me.

As we left the store, Lauren said, “I hope you realize Janelle will expect you to wear that to the dance now.”

“Yeah,” said Trish. “And if you don’t, she’ll never let you live it down.”

“I know, I know.” Though it felt good showing up Janelle, I felt like such an idiot after the fact.

After buying a pair of shoes to match the dress, we passed the mall’s food court. “You hungry?” asked Trish, gesturing at a few of the fast-food places.

“You two can eat if you want.” My stomach growled. “But I think I’ll pass.”

“Is that how you’re going to fit into the dress by next Saturday? By not eating?” asked Lauren. “Why don’t you just go to a dress shop and have it let out a bit?”

I shook my head. There didn’t seem to be enough fabric in the dress for it to be let out, and the best seamstress would probably be far too costly for the rush job. If there was anything that needed alterations, I decided that it wasn’t the size of the dress; it was the size of my body.

* * *


I starved myself for the rest of the weekend until my stepsister told my mother and stepfather. They made me eat. Good thing too. I was starting to feel lightheaded.

So instead of avoiding food altogether, I started eating as minimally as possible. By Tuesday, Lauren noticed my second consecutive lunch of skim milk, fat-free crackers, and celery sticks. “Nice meal,” she said sarcastically. “Well-balanced.”

“Gotta lose a few pounds by Saturday.” I crunched on a piece of celery.

“How much weight are you planning to lose?”

“However much it takes to get into the dress.”

The Tigers were playing that evening, but I had gone home right after school to try getting some homework done before the game. With the television on in the background, I was half-listening to one of those trashy talk shows where a woman didn’t know for sure which of three different guys was her child’s father. Those episodes intrigued me because I didn’t know my biological father. My mother told me little about him other than they were in college at the time, and she dropped out after her first year because she was pregnant with me. We had lived with my grandparents until I was nine years old, while my mom worked as a waitress in the evenings.

That’s how she met Frank Randall, a contractor who came to dinner at the restaurant often, which my mom later learned was so he could get to know her. He was a widower, and his first wife had died while giving birth to my thirteen-year-old stepsister Amy. When she was younger, the two of us got along well because I was always willing to play dolls or games or dress-up with her. Once I made it to high school, however, the five-year age difference gave us less to talk about, and we often got on each other’s nerves.

A couple years after my mom married Frank, she got pregnant again, and eventually my half-sister Kylie was born. She had since grown into one of the most energetic five-year-olds I’ve ever known, and from a few years of babysitting, I knew a lot of kids.

Kylie ran into the room and swiped the remote control off of the coffee table, changed the channel to some cartoon, dropped the remote on the floor, and ran away like a little brown-haired, pigtailed blur.

I grabbed the remote and returned to my original station. The show had gone to a commercial break, and a fast-talking announcer caught my attention. “Want to lose weight fast? Want to fit into last year’s bathing suit? Want to cut your dress size in half in sixty days?”

“How about fitting into this year’s dress in four days?” I muttered, gazing at the images on the screen that alternated between frowning women wearing frumpy clothes that covered them up and slim, tanned women in skimpy two-piece bathing suits. They had better bodies than Janelle Taylor.

When the large lettering for Inches Away Weight Reduction Pills flashed on the screen, the voiceover wrapped up the commercial. “…watch them take off those unwanted inches for you!”

I didn’t need to hear or see any more. I had found a solution to my problem—not necessarily the best answer, but it was an emergency. On my way back to the school for the game, driving the old beat-up car Frank passed on to me at my eighteenth birthday, I stopped by the drugstore. One bottle was expensive, which should have been enough of a deterrent to buy it, but as I waited in line at the checkout counter, faces on the ladies’ magazines stared back at me.

Their complexions were flawless, their bodies perfect. A different young actress, musician, or celebrity adorned each cover, showing off their smooth, flat stomachs. Bright, bold type proclaimed miraculous ways they kept in shape.

At any other moment in my life, under different circumstances, I probably would have seen through the misleading images, both on the magazines and my television screen. I knew the photos were airbrushed and touched up. I knew that before women were purposely posed with sad faces and in large, looser clothes under dimmer lighting, while the after women smiled and may have even had their skin oiled to appear more radiant. I learned all that in my Journalism and Media Studies class, but those lessons were the farthest things from my mind while I stood there clutching the bottle of pills as if they were my only lifeline.

In the parking lot, I skimmed the warnings on the label. The recommended dosage was one pill every twelve hours, and not more than two in any twenty-four hour period. Possible side effects included headaches, dizziness, loss of appetite, increased frequency of urination, vomiting, and so on. I didn’t want to experience any of them at the game, so I kept the bottle hidden in my purse until I got home.

I wish I could say that the game provided a time delay so the more rational, less desperate side of me could convince the rest of me to continue my more natural, albeit miniscule, eating regime. It may have, if Janelle hadn’t emerged after the game wearing a pair of jeans so tight they looked as if they were painted on. Her heels clicking on the floor of the gym sounded like a ticking clock, counting down the seconds to my impending humiliation at the Valentine’s dance.

That night at home, I read the label much more carefully than I had in the car and committed the list of side effects to memory. The pills were dangerous to take if I smoked, had high blood pressure, heart or lung diseases, or was pregnant. Fitting none of those categories, I opened the bottle and shook a little pink pill into my hand. I held it there while I read the label a second and third time to make sure I was doing the right thing, but as I gazed into my closet at the red dress hanging away from my other clothes, I believed there wasn't another option for the desired end result.

After swallowing the first pill, left lingering in my mouth was a bitter taste.

* * *


When I weighed myself the next morning, I can’t say I was surprised that there wasn’t a difference. Rationalizing that there wasn’t enough time yet for the pills to have an effect, I swallowed one right away. I knew that exactly twelve hours hadn’t passed, but I figured that if I took one upon waking up and another right before bed each day, then I’d be sticking to a consistent timeline that wouldn’t exceed more than two pills every twenty-four hours. Funny how desperation allows you to bend the rules a little bit to suit your own purposes.

There was still no change the morning after that, but I took another pill anyway. Even if they supplemented my own dietary attempts just enough to take off a few inches by Saturday, I’d be happy.

After school that day—the one day of the week when we didn’t have either practice or a game—I was in my usual Thursday after-school location: the classroom/computer lab of my journalism teacher. Mrs. Ellerby was also the adviser for the school newspaper, for which I was an assistant editor. Our next online edition was coming out the following week, so Evan Landry and I were finishing up; I was proofreading an article on one computer while he was manipulating the overall layout on a computer across the room.

“Are you done with that yet?” he asked. “I’m just holding out for you.”

Smart in every subject that existed but especially math and science, Evan was ranked at the top of our class and had already been accepted early decision to M.I.T. He looked the part too—short hair, short and scrawny build, and wearing eyeglasses. Though his appearance matched the stereotype, he was kind, funny, and loyal, and not snobby or condescending like the people who didn’t bother getting to know him assumed he was just because he was smart and shy. I won’t say that Evan and I were close friends at the time, but we were more than just classmates or acquaintances.

“Almost,” I replied, making some final corrections in the fluffy fashion report. “She needs to learn the difference between there, their and they’re.”

There are people who don’t study their grammar, and they’re just going to keep making mistakes.”

I giggled, thinking about how in many ways, working on the school newspaper was far less stressful than being a cheerleader. Without Janelle around, the lack of petty competition was refreshing. As much as I enjoyed cheering, I did it as a physical activity, a chance to show school spirit, a college application booster, and something to do with my closest friends, but not as a career goal. I wanted a career in journalism as an investigative reporter, preferably on television. For that job, whether I liked it or not, I knew my looks would ultimately matter.

Trish skipped into the room, waving and saying hello to Evan, before plopping down on the computer table beside me. “How much longer?” she asked. “Our appointment at the salon is in fifteen minutes.”

“Done,” I said as I clicked the mouse, sending Evan an email with the edited article. “You’ve got it from here?”

“Sure do,” he replied, already relocating it to the master layout. “Getting your hair cut?”

Before I could say anything, Trish answered, “Absolutely. Big dance this weekend. You going?”

While he shook his head and explained that he typically didn’t go to school dances, I quickly turned around to start rushing Trish out of the room. My blonde locks fell almost halfway down my back, and I was planning on getting a few inches trimmed. But I really was preventing Evan from seeing that my mousy, not-as-blonde roots were starting to show. I didn’t want him to know that I was going to get my hair colored to keep it a light and bright—not exactly platinum—shade. Like I said, what I looked like mattered.

Out in the hallway, Trish grabbed me by the arm. “Do you think we can maybe fix Evan up with Lauren? She doesn’t go to dances either. It can be like nerd love.”

I tried to ignore her last comment. Just because Evan was going to M.I.T., it didn’t make him a nerd. And our friend Lauren, although also smart and near the top of our class, wasn’t a nerd. She just wasn’t social. Not everyone enjoyed large crowds or loud music. I had to make an appearance because of my encounter with Janelle in the mall, but even without that, I would have been going anyway because I liked going. But as a cheerleader dating Montvale’s star basketball player, I had gained stature in the school, so it was expected for us to attend.

That night before bed, with the smell of hair-dyeing chemicals still hovering in the air around me, I grabbed the dress and tried it on, only to find that I couldn’t zip it up all the way on my own. I couldn’t tell if the dress was zipped more or less than when Trish had tried at the mall. Even if I could keep the zipper secure, the simple act of breathing in such a constricted space would either open the zipper or tear the dress at its seams.

I turned to the mirror, frustrated by how good the front of me looked in the red dress, especially with my new and improved hair color and style. The back, however, wouldn’t hold up. I groaned, I grunted, and I cursed. In spite of how much I wanted to rip the dress to shreds, I repressed my anger while I took off the dress to avoid ruining it.

With only two days left, I got anxious and thought I could speed up the process by taking two pills instead of the recommended one. Almost immediately, I felt terribly lightheaded, and I needed to lie down. The label wasn’t kidding about side effects.


133 lbs.


The next morning, the bathroom scale showed I had lost two pounds, but I assumed it was slightly off. I stepped off and on it at least a dozen times both before and after my shower to confirm the reading, which stayed the same.

It was the day before the dance, and time was running out. No significant weight change meant no dress, which meant Janelle would win. Although I could have returned or exchanged the dress, I wanted that dress—it was beautiful, and I wanted Todd to see me as more attractive than Janelle when I wore it. I swallowed a couple more pills, downed a cup of black coffee to keep the ensuing dizziness at bay, and then headed off to school.

Lauren and I were the last two to leave the locker room for the bus to the away basketball game that evening. She had changed into her uniform in one of the bathroom stalls, but I deliberately chose to lag behind so I could take a few more pills without anyone seeing.

“What are those?” Lauren snatched the bottle from me and examined it. “Drugs? Are you sure this is a good idea?”

“Nothing else is working.”

“And these are?”

“Not yet.”

“How many did you just take?”

I was embarrassed to answer, so I mumbled. “Three.”

“Three?! But the label says—”

“I know what the label says, but I’m running out of time.”

“That’s called an overdose. What if you get really sick? What if you get addicted? You don’t know what these pills will do to you.” She shook the bottle to further punctuate her point.

“I’m not going to take them after tomorrow night. I’ll throw them out, I promise.”

Lauren sighed contemptuously and left the room. Meanwhile, I sprinted for the toilets and threw up.

The long and bumpy bus ride didn’t help much. Many sticks of gum from Trish freshened my breath but not my spirits, and unfortunately, I needed to display lots of spirit that night. The Tigers took the lead early and held it for the rest of the game, so I had to do plenty of jumping around.

Todd approached me after the victory and gave me the usual greeting of a kiss on the forehead followed by resting his chin on my head. He commented that he was relaxing his shoulders just a bit to get his chin down to my head, but I told him it was because I wasn’t feeling well and was slightly slumped over.

“Will you feel better for the dance tomorrow night?” he asked.

“Yeah,” I replied, even though I expected I’d still feel side effects of the pills. But I couldn’t not go to the dance. Janelle needed to see me there in the dress.

Then Janelle strutted over. “Hello, Carrie,” she said without looking at me, while she was stroking my boyfriend’s arm. “Another awesome game, Todd.”

“Thanks,” he said. “You guys were good too.”

“Has Carrie told you about the smoking hot new dress she bought?” Though she was talking to Todd, she had turned to me, her head held high as she glanced down her nose at me. I knew I wasn’t feeling well and was slouching, and Janelle had already put on her pair of heels. “Ask her what color it is.”

“What color?”

“Red,” I answered, glaring at Janelle with eyes that were surely red—bloodshot from not feeling well and angered from Janelle’s catty behavior.

“My favorite color? Score!” Todd put his arm around me. “I’m sure you’ll look great, Short-Stuff.”

“It’s only fitting that Carrie chose your favorite color.” Janelle tightened her eyes to hold her gaze on me while she smirked. “And it was a tight squeeze…she got the last one like it in the store.”

As much as I despised her, I had to admire her devious plan. From her pointed double meanings, which I knew Todd didn’t catch, I knew she could tell I hadn’t lost enough weight. Two, maybe three pounds at most, was not enough to fit into the dress. Even if I owned another red dress, girls didn’t go to dances in dresses they had already worn. And I wasn’t going to rush around on the afternoon of the dance trying to find a dress just as pretty because Janelle would know. By building up his hopes of seeing me in a hot red dress, she had set the stage for me to fall flat on my face and disappoint him.

“Can’t wait to see what you look like tomorrow,” she said as she walked away.

I closed my eyes, trying to fight tears and avoid seeing whether Todd was watching her walk away. He bent down to kiss me on the lips, which made me smile and reassured me we were still a couple. Thankfully, I had chewed enough gum to eliminate any hint of what my breath had smelled like earlier.

During the ride home, I didn’t speak much to Trish and Lauren. I kept replaying the scene in my head, and my loathing for Janelle grew. Inside, I was seething because I had less than twenty-four hours to fit into that dress or face whatever humiliation she’d have in store for me.

In the anger and desperation that hadn’t gone away when I got home, I took four more tablets. Before I knew it, my bedroom started spinning. Trying to squeeze away a throbbing headache, I clenched my eyes tightly and collapsed on my bed. As I willed myself into unconsciousness, I decided that the next day I was going to skip breakfast and do whatever exercise I could think of. Anything to make the reading on my bathroom scale change just enough to get into that stupid dress.

How was I to know that a big change had already started taking place?


127 lbs.


Late the next morning, I awoke in a cold sweat and still wearing my cheering uniform. I refused to weigh myself because I didn’t want to wallow in self-pity if there wasn’t a change. The sun was shining brightly, and it was unseasonably warm—about fifty degrees—for a mid-February morning. I took two more pills and left for an intense bike ride, stopping to rest periodically until either dizziness or double vision subsided. I knew they were side effects, but I didn’t let them stop me from exhausting all possible methods to melt away the remaining few inches.

After my strenuous workout, I trudged to my room and crawled into bed. I slept the afternoon away, and when my alarm blared, I dashed for the bathroom. It was ninety minutes before Todd was picking me up, and I had to shower, shave my legs, and do my hair and makeup. After that, it would be over one way or the other. Either I’d fit in the dress or I wouldn’t.

Dripping wet, I stepped out of the shower and took a long look at my naked body in the bathroom mirror. Nothing was different. I had the same shape, whatever it was—not chubby, but not Janelle skinny; some curves, but not curvy. Just average.

But I was astounded when I stepped on the scale and saw that I had lost another six pounds. Were they the right six pounds? And had I lost the necessary inches from my hips and waist to squeeze into the dress?

I dried myself off, threw on my bathrobe, and bounded for my bedroom. The dress that had mocked me in the shopping mall was still hanging in clear view in my closet, but this time, I got the last laugh. It fit perfectly! Dancing around the room, I tossed the practically empty bottle of pills into the trash like it was a basketball.

At six-forty-five sharp, the doorbell rang. From downstairs, Kylie called, “Carrie, there’s a really tall boy here for you!”

Wait till he sees me, I thought, giggling as I blew my freshly red-painted fingernails dry.

I kept Todd waiting a little bit before I made my grand entrance. As I walked slowly down the stairs, I clearly saw him mouth an enormous Wow. I wasn’t sure which parts of my body he was specifically eyeing, but I didn’t care because I knew they all looked good that night.

“You look amazing,” he said, handing me a bouquet of pink flowers. Then he kissed me on the forehead and raised his head slightly to rest his chin on me. “Hey, have you gotten taller?”

“It’s the heels.” I grinned as I showed them off. Three extra inches and matching my dress.

After showering us with compliments and taking photos, my mother reminded Todd about my eleven-o’clock curfew. Then Frank cajoled her into extending it an additional hour. All the men in my life were making me feel special that night.

The Valentine’s Sweetheart Dance was a school tradition, held in the cafeteria because Coach McCarthy didn’t want girls dancing in high-heeled shoes ruining the gymnasium floor. Obviously, he didn’t go to many dances or he’d know that most girls took off their shoes to keep their feet from hurting.

Todd and I entered arm in arm, and my eyes opened wide as I saw how the senior class council had decorated the cafeteria. All the tables had been removed, and the space was adorned with streamers of red, pink, and white. Dozens of glittery cupid-shaped cutouts hung from the ceiling and twirled slowly about their strings so their arrows of love could point at almost any couple on the dance floor. A mirror ball illuminated by a red-filtered light rotated above the center of the room, and it reflected what looked like thousands of little red hearts all over the place.

“You two look so cute together!” Trish rushed over to us and snapped a picture with her phone. Then she grabbed my arm and pulled me aside to say, “Janelle’s gonna freak when she sees how hot you look. You could be on the cover of magazines! Too bad Lauren’s not here to see this.”

I wouldn’t let Todd leave my side because he needed to be with me when Janelle arrived. We were dancing to the loud beat of one of the newest pop songs when she finally entered. She was also wearing red—part of her scheme, perhaps—but her tight strapless dress didn’t show off as much cleavage and leg as my dress did. I know I saw her jaw drop when she saw me, but then she quickly held her nose in the air and strutted away, probably trying to save face. At that moment, there was a brief pause between songs, and I could hear her release an audible humph. Her plan had backfired!

Other members of the cheering squad swarmed around me and told me how great I looked. Friends of Todd’s came by every now and then; some not-so-subtly checked me out, and one was caught by his girlfriend, who elbowed him in the side and stomped away. I was the one turning heads that night—not Janelle—and I couldn’t help myself from gloating in her direction every now and then. Whether it was because of the dress or my association with Todd, I was more popular that night than I ever had been or expected to be.

After a few hours, I was kind of sweaty and tired, clearly from dancing so much—fast dancing with Trish and other girls, and slow dancing in Todd’s warm and strong embrace. I wondered if my fatigue was partially caused by the pills, but I didn’t care because I had had a great time. Todd suggested we could relax at Cray’s Lookout, a landing atop a hill overlooking Montvale. The fact that it was a common make-out spot didn’t bother me because if Todd wanted to take me there to make out, my victory over Janelle was solidified.

I had taken my shoes off earlier in the night, but when I retrieved them, I was confused by how easily my swollen feet slid into them. I double-checked that they were indeed my shoes but then shrugged off the minor nuisance. The night had been too wonderful to stress about slightly stretched-out shoes.

At Cray’s Lookout, Todd and I quickly fogged up the windows of his car, and we were only sitting in the back seat and kissing. I loved the way his lips softly but firmly pressed perfectly against mine. And when he kissed my neck, I loved the way his lips caressed my skin and sent tingles down my spine.

I shivered as his fingers traced the contours of my collar bones and down alongside the straps of my dress to my breasts. Though the thin, red fabric separated his skin from mine, every nerve inside me tingled like I had never felt before—because I hadn’t ever let a guy touch me like that before. His hands seemed the exact size to envelop my breasts, as if our bodies had been made to each other’s specifications. Janelle’s would be too big for him, I selfishly thought, but mine were just right.

“You look kinda warm.” His eyes sparkled in the moonlight. “I can fix that.”

My dress felt a little looser, but I didn’t notice him reaching around to unzip it. His hands stayed in front of me as he tried to slide the halter strap over my head. Interlocking my fingers with his to stop him, I said, “Not now, Todd. Not here.”

“But it feels good, doesn’t it?” he whispered into my ear and then lightly kissed my cheek.

Closing my eyes and smiling, I released a sigh. It undeniably felt great, and I imagined what it would feel like to go further, but I wanted whatever came next to be something special and memorable. The back seat of Todd’s car wasn’t the right place.

“It does, but it’s getting kinda late.” After slowly pushing him away from me, I noticed that he looked disappointed, so I put my hand on his shoulder and massaged it. “Hey, it’s not like we can do much back here. You’re way too tall.” I playfully walked my fingers from his chest up past his chin and stopped by gently poking his nose. “Now if you were a little shorter.”

“A little shorter?” He chuckled. “You know you’re talkin’ crazy there, right?”

A quick peck on the lips showed me that he understood, so we returned to the front seat, and he drove me home. I think we went further than he had expected, and I know I felt more than I had expected. He had shown me that I was desirable, and that night, that was what I wanted to feel.

I was a desirable weight, a desirable body shape, and a desirable height.

Or at least I thought I was.


119 lbs.


After Trish posted photos of me and Todd on her various social media pages, there were comments about how wonderful I looked. My glorious night had gone viral, and everyone knew that Todd and I were a couple. There was a part of me—an admittedly catty part of me—that wanted to rub it in Janelle’s face, so I couldn’t wait for that Monday’s basketball game.

However, I had difficulty finding clothes that fit properly. Almost every skirt and pair of pants I owned was loose. Only my tightest skinny jeans fit comfortably around my waist, but not as tightly as they should have. I didn’t need a new wardrobe or anything like that, but it was clear that I was a little bit slimmer than I was before the dance.

I rushed to the bathroom scale and was startled to see I had lost eight more pounds in only two days. I checked to make sure the scale was working right, and I walked away and came back to it, but it still gave the same weight. Even though I had stopped taking the pills, my system mustn’t have fully purged the effects of the heavy dosage I had taken.

Looking at myself in the mirror, I noticed that my body seemed to be in the same proportions as always. I didn’t look particularly thinner, so I wasn’t sure where I had lost the weight. More so, if losing that much weight wasn’t making me look emaciated, how could it possibly be bad? Everyone was saying that I looked great that night, so what was the point in complaining?

That afternoon in the locker room, Lauren brought up the dance after she had changed. “Everyone’s saying you looked so good you had Janelle speechless.”

“She’s still speechless,” said Trish, chomping on a chocolate bar as she joined us. “You shoulda been there, Lauren. You’d be so proud of our little Carrie.”

Not accustomed to being the subject of gossip, I simply smirked and shrugged while I took my cheering uniform out of my bag.

“I guess those pills worked,” said Lauren, a slight tone of condescension in her voice.

“Yep.” I unfastened my belt, and without removing it from the belt loops, I found myself sliding easily out of my jeans.

“Diet pills?” Trish quickly turned to me. “My mom has tried that kinda stuff before. Worked for a bit but then she was chunky once again. If they worked for you Carrie, then that’s cool.”

“Now that the dance has passed, you stopped using them, right?” asked Lauren.

“Well, yeah.” I shrugged as I took off my shirt. One of my bra straps slipped off my shoulder, so I fixed it.

Lauren crossed her arms. “What do you mean well, yeah? What’s going on?”

The other bra strap slid down my other arm. Had I accidentally bought a larger bra and not noticed until then? Had I clasped it too loosely that morning? Pulling at the cups until I could feel the clasp dig slightly into my back, I looked down into my cleavage. Just like my pants, the bra was definitely loose; my breasts didn’t seem to fill it like they usually did.

“Carrie, you haven’t answered me.” Lauren was glowering at me.

“I don’t think their effects have worn off yet.” I put on my cheerleading skirt, but its elastic waist band didn’t cling to me as tightly as it usually did. “I’m still losing weight.”

Trish took a step back to get a full look at me. “You don’t look any thinner. You have the same great shape you had at the dance.”

“I noticed that too.” I bent down to tie my sneakers and noticed myself tying them tighter than usual. “Strange, right?”


- - - - -


Want to read the rest? The complete novel is available in paperback and eBook formats at:
Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00XX8HGUS
Barnes & Noble: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/just-a-few-inches-tara-st-pierre/1121971906
iTunes Bookstore: https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/just-a-few-inches/id997071232
© Copyright 2015 Tara St. Pierre (authortarastp at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2046020-Just-a-Few-Inches