*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2048456-A-New-Punishment-Chapter-1
Rated: 18+ · Fiction · Young Adult · #2048456
Taylor gets hired to babysit John for the Summer but he won't behave.
“Miss Williams, my name is Lucinda Underwood, I saw your number and some good reviews in a listing of local 'sitters. Would you be able to look after my son for an extended period this summer; I've got a business trip that will take me out of the country for the second half of June and all of July.”
“I'm sorry ma'am, I'm not sure if I can do that. I am a tutor for my fellow college students, and I have other commitments. I would love to, but I don't know if I could give it the necessary time.”
“Don't worry, my son is 16, you don't have to be with him constantly. Beyond a short list of things to do, you will have all of the time in the world.”
“Isn't your son a little old to be babysat?”
“I think that is what is wrong with our society today, people are giving their children too much freedom too young!”
“Okay, I understand.” I need the money too badly to leave just for a weird parent.
“Good, the other girl I spoke seem freaked out. You seem to get it.”
“Of course, you're being completely reasonable. I was wondering though, if you could list off that short list of requirements.”
“Okay, let me grab it... here: Make sure he is awake and fed two hours before his first activity of the day, drive him to his activities, feed him lunch, drive his to his afternoon activities, feed him dinner, put him to bed, make sure he is safe at night. I have a room that you can stay in. I'll leave a credit card for any purchases necessary. Oh, and you can invite over anyone you're tutoring, but no boy or girlfriends. I'll give you my list of rules and the list of activities when you come over.” Sounds like a lot of work but the biggest question is always discipline, especially with her gone this long.
“What do you want me to do if he gets out of line.”
“I won't restrict you, do whatever you deem necessary. You're a good girl, haven't even asked about payment yet. I'll pay you $7,500 when you start, and $7,500 when I get back and my son is well taken care of, and if you need a place for the rest of the summer, my guest room will be open” I'm sold, $15,000 dollars for six weeks of work, and no summer housing bill. This is great.
“I'll do it.”
“I live at 2578 Magnolia Blvd. Come by sometime this coming Saturday and I'll introduce you to my son and go over everything.”
“I can be there about two o'clock, would that work for you.”
“It can, I'll see you here.”
Wow, this is the cash fall I've needed. College is incredibly expensive, especially when you can't get need based tuition assistance. Between this, my academic scholarships, and my tutoring, I'll should be able to finish my bachelor's and get started on my J.D. I need to call my prospective roommate and tell her I've made arrangements.
“Hey, Sarah, it's Taylor.”
“Hey Taylor, um, is this about the house we were going to joint rent, if so I need to tell you something.”
“Yeah, well I no longer need a place this summer...”
“Oh, great, neither do I, that was what I needed to tell you.”
“Great, guess we're both set then. Gotta go, my parents are calling.”
“Okay, bye.”
© Copyright 2015 taytaywilliams (taytaywilliams at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2048456-A-New-Punishment-Chapter-1