*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2049214-The-Bandit-and-The-Dictator-complete
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: GC · Novel · Action/Adventure · #2049214
Follow the journey of Ex-lance captain Matthew Shepherd to try to end Hyperion.
The Bandit and the dictator
This story is based on the borderlands series and is set between borderlands the pre-sequel and borderlands 2
all characters in story except myself Matthew the characters girlfriend Larisa and his brother garial are owned by
Gearbox Software
Aspire Media (OS X, Linux)
Iron Galaxy Studios (PlayStation Vita)
2K Games
Take-Two Interactive
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED


Chapter 1: A dictator on his throne


Bandits Its a term for thieves and murders but to Pandora everyone is a bandit well to jack anyway. In a way its true on Pandora there's no real jobs the only way to survive is to kill and steal. survival of the fittest but not all are bandits just colonists. but jack didn't care since he arrived with Hyperion. 4 years ago 4 mercenary's discovered a vault and with it came a mysterious element called eridium.

With it Hyperion came to mine this new element and with it jack, and Hyperion called Pandora there property and with it was the slaughter of Pandora's population anyone who was against jack was labelled with bandit and killed. jack was worse. Commandant Helga Steele was a dictator too but she knew who was a bandit or who was civilian. Steele didn't kill children fro the most. she knew who was a bandit. she was using her power to "remove" threats to her power. jack was worse than any dictator in history.

So a few people grouped together to stop this slaughter. they are the crimson raiders. made from ex crimson lance members they wanted to do there duty, to protect the people. I had a goal to join them.


My name is Matthew Shepherd ex-captain of the crimson lance I want to join the raiders to stop jack and to do what's right I heard Roland leads them. He is a good soldier and a greater man he always put his duty first so When our orders from Steele changed from protect to slaughter it was no surprise he left as did myself and several others.

I heard the raiders had made sanctuary there home I had two problems 1 I didn't know sanctuary's fast travel code or it's location and Bandits stole my guns and equipment. I fought them off but all I got was a cheap revolver and a crap shield I had to weigh out my options old haven could kill 2 birds with one stone I could use the travel there to get to haven and from there find out about sanctuary's location and since old haven had been a lance outpost and they had a armoury anything I could get could be of use to me and the raiders. It was decided I would head to old haven first.

getting there is no picnic plenty of creatures and bandits not to mention Hyperion's robot army and with bad equipment its challenging but at least I had the lance armour best of atlas technology's the officers got special armour a full body suit with heavy elemental resistance and bullet proof. on the way to old haven I heard gunfire I sneak to the top of a hill what I saw was usual some bandits fighting Hyperion robots the fight was close but in the end one robot remained it was badly damaged and with a quick shot in its eye socket and it was down. I searched through the bandits corpses and Hyperion robot parts to see if anything was useful so I took there guns and headed north new haven isn't far and none of those bandits had anything on sanctuary so I need to keep moving. after an hour of walking I was at haven. The city looked like a war zone buildings in rubble, power generators sparking and through it all I was to go through a horrible few moments. "You got to be kidding!"

"HELLO MEATBAGS I AM A CL4P..."

"Oh god not that anything but a claptrap! god this will be torture."

Chapter 1part 2: A place a bandit can call home

"A Fucking claptrap trap of all the thing I could have ran into a fucking claptrap!!!"

"HELLO STRANGER HOW MAY I HELP YOU?"

"I thought your production line is destroyed?"

"IT WAS!!!! I AM ONE OF THE FEW REMAINING AND A FRAGTRAP."

"A WHAT!!!"

"NEVER MIND HOW CAN I HELP YOU?"

"I am Captain Matthew Shepherd of the crimson lance and YOU are a lance claptrap so you have to obey my commands. do you understand?"

"YES I DO."

"Ok there was a armoury at this outpost wasn't there?"

"THERE IS A LANCE ARMOURY HERE."

"Has it been raided?"

"NO, ITS UNTOUCHED."

"Good, take me there."

"THIS WAY!"

"Please no talking on the way."

I followed the claptrap down to the underground segment of the lance outpost "THE ARMORY IS AT THE END OF THIS HALLWAY TO YOUR LEFT."


"Stay here and if you say one more word I sware I'll corrode your eye socket." the armoury was set up liked I expected pieces of lance armour stacked on shelves to the left and chests of assault rifles and other lance weapons to the left and shields on each sides of the back wall behind me but something in the centre of the room catched my eye

"hu...what's that?" in the centre of the room was a weapon case on a platform. It was one of the experimental weapons from atlas as a attempt to reverse engineer Eridian weapons

"ok let's get started." grabbing as much equipment as a could knowing it could come in handy to the raiders when a computer in the next room was bleeping nonstop then I heard a voice

"You are invading the space of crimson lance property and current ownership by the crimson lance . Identity your self now!"

"that voice...." I went to the monitor

"Roland is that you?"

"That depends on who's asking Identity yourself NOW!"

"It's me captain Matthew Shepherd."

"Captain Shepherd?" the monitor activates to show Roland in his command centre

"Is it truly you old friend?" I remove my helmet to ensure him it's not fake in anyway

"Yeah its me. long time no see buddy."

"What are you doing in haven? I thought you were dead?"
"you think I'd go down to some bandits and tin cans? of course not, plus you'd know jack would be broadcasting non stop if one of his most wanted was dead. Plus I've been searching for sanctuary to join the raiders actually."


"That's great news we need all the help we can get, Matthew there is a damaged fast travel near by can you activate it?"

"yeah sure it doesn't look too damaged I can fix it" (5 minutes later...) "ok it's fixed."

"good job Matthew I'm on my way to you with the travel online we can move the armoury to sanctuary."

"Alright I'll se you momentarily" once Roland arrived with a handful of troop we started to load up crates with equipment to send them to sanctuary. while doing so I asked Roland about the raiders and the resistance

"How many raiders have you got?"

"About 200 ex lance and 500 civilians in training."

"How many civilians are there?"

"around 6000 people helping sanctuary survive in one way or another."

"Made any dents in Hyperion's operations?"

"not really some Eridian mines destroyed but other than that there's just too much against us as of yet. I'll be honest we really need someone like you Matthew, your one if not the best soldier I've seen but even more importantly, You're one of the best tacticians there is. your strategy could end Hyperion."

"How so?"

"I heard how you took down an Hyperion outpost by yourself and without getting spotted by any of there soldiers or security systems we need that kind of calibre on our side in order to protect Pandora."

"yeah your right Roland."

"Sir that's everything."

"ok head back to Sanctuary we're right behind you."

CHAPTER 2: Old Base, Older Friends

I went through the fast travel to sanctuary. The place wasn't anything I had imagined. Sanctuary was more a city than military base yet it was still heavily defend there was a powerful shield serving as the primary defence and a vehicle station serving as the offence. It was strange as soon as I arrived I felt safe and that is a lost feeling on this rock.

"so this is sanctuary?"

"yes your taking the building on the left of here. you'll be living with an old friend. They heard you were coming to stay in sanctuary they were more than willing to make room"

who could that be... I have few friends on Pandora, even less possibly alive. it wasn't Roland and his friends, they stay in the HQ so the question remains who's left....
"Well Well Well ,look who disappears for two years and doesn't stay in touch"

that voice and playful tone could it be? I turn around to see who it is

"Larisa?!!! It can't be!"

I remove my helmet to see with my own eyes

"It is me who else do you know has my voice or looks"

for the first time in years I had a smile on my face. Larisa is a close friend. our relationship was beyond friendship. Larisa is the Mirror image of her mother commander Steele. only difference was the lack of tattoo's and her dark red hair. she was in the lance female assassin's armour. I always wondered how they even walked in those 6inch heels let alone run in them. I practically ran to her and hugged her

"I thought you were died in the new haven attack?"

"no silly you think I'd go down too that simple attack....oh Roland I'm so sorry I forgot what happened"

"It's all right Larisa"
what Larisa said clearly upset Roland

"Matthew meet me inside once your finished getting reacquainted with Larisa and unpack"

"yeah sure"

as Roland leaves to go inside I feel sorry for him

"you don't know do you Matthew?"

"know what"

"while during the attack on haven... Lilith died"
Lilith died!!! the idea shook me. Lilith may not be the best with a gun but she was the most powerful siren in existence. Lilith. I met her once with Roland and the others. Lilith acted like the big sister of there group. no doubt everyone was upset by her death

" so that's what upset Roland?"

"yeah...they....they were close"

"poor Roland he finally opens up to someone and then... DAMIT I HATE THOSE HYPERION BASTERDS!!!"
In my rage I hadn't noticed I had out my fist through the table

" I'm sorry Larisa I'll pay for the table"

" its alright its just a cheap table and I understand Lilith was a good friend to all of us"
Larisa never seamed to get angry. NEVER. she always speaks softly and calmly in a almost motherly way witch lead to her nickname the lance soldiers gave her mamma that and she had the roles of both medic and engineer so she was called little mamma as she took care of her boys and there toys. I couldn't help but smile

"what?"

"Don't you ever get angry?"

"not really if I snap. I Really snap and that takes more than a $5 table to do that. not like that steal table you punched through on that day our M.O. Changed I'm sure everyone heard you're rant with commandant Steele and general Knoxx."

CHAPTER:2 old memory's die hard


I remember that day it was as clear as a plain of glass.
That morning general Knoxx asked to meet me in his office for a debriefing. I knocked on the door

"come in. Ah captain shepherd lock the door and sit down"

"what's wrong sir"

Knoxx deactivates the camera and the audio

"what is said in hear is kept in hear understood?"

"Is this a secret mission sir?"

"no what I'm going to say will be said to everyone but I know how you will react"

"how bad is it"

"we've received new orders from atlas"

"what are they?"

Knoxx sighed and lit a cigar
"want one?"

"I don't smoke sir"

"alright our M.O. has been changed. they want us to purge the planet"

"what do you mean purge?"

"Everyone and everything is a target and to eliminate everyone including...civilians"

"WHAT!!!!!!"

"Its true Matthew"

"Steele she'll tell them no"

" Matthew it was stele that requests authorization to do the purge"
"NO..."
"Matthew listen...."

"NO YOU FUCKING LISTEN WE DON'T KILL CIVILIANS ONLY THREATS THIS IS FUCKING GENOCIDE"

It was then that I had punched a hole through Knoxx's desk

"WHERE IS STEELE!!!!"

"Matthew calm down first"

"WHERE IS THE FUCKING BITCH!!!?"

" I don't know Matthew I really don't so please ugh!!!"

"LIAR!!! YOU KNOW WHERE SHE IS SO FUCKING TELL ME NOW!!!"

"she's at the crimson fastness"

"I'm going there then"

"even with everything she's done you going to try to kill her..."

"I know just...tell my men I'm doing what I think is right I'll try to change her mind first"

with that I left Knoxx's office nearly ripping the door from its hinges

"Matthew what's wrong"

"I'd rather tell everyone"

I get onto a table and shoot my pistol to get everyone's attention

"all right you all probably heard me in there right"

"well yeah you were louder than a pack of skags"

"Steele has ordered a planet wide purge"

"sounds good we can wipe all the bandits off Pandora once and for all"

"It's worse than that isn't it?"

"yeah Larisa it is. the orders are to wipe out ALL life. not just bandits ALL LIFE CIVILIANS INCLUDED!!!"

"OH GOD"

"THATS GENOCIDE!!!"

"who gave the orders"

"...."

"WHO GAVE THEM MATTHEW!!!" that was the first time I'd seen Larisa angry

"It was directory from Steele"
that caused a uproar

"ENOUGH!!!...Listen Your Pissed Off at Steele I know I am, but rioting isn't the best way we can still protect the civilians. I'm going after Steele if she dies Knoxx will replace her and from that we can build a new lance a better lance a lance that we thought we were signing up to!!!"

"KILLING STEELE?!!! that's impossible she has loyal guards even if you get past them she's a siren she can kill you with ease"

"Matthew there has to be a better may than killing my mother"

"I'll try to talk to her first"

"What about dealing with McCloud?"

"If need be I'll deal with him myself"

"Roland if something happens to me take care of Larisa and the squad"

"got it captain"

With that I left heading to Fastness to try to end this before it began. most of the lance fear Steele so they will follow her orders , Knoxx fears her as well so a cue was out of the question so I had to be me people looked to me as a second voice even more than Knoxx and as Steele doesn't scare me. It didn't take long before I made it to fastness and with my rank the entrance guards didn't ask questions letting me through till cloud intercepted my path

"why are you here"


"you know why"

" how so"

"come on. your head is so far up steele's arse your head is coming out her mouth"

"oh ha ha"

"anyway you dam well know why I'm here steele's new FUCKING ORDERS"

"and everyone deserves it on this dump"
with that I punched him and knocked him unconscious. with that I went into steele's office
"captain how may I...."

"Cut the crap, you know why I'm here , you order of genocide!!!"

"this world is in chaos and the only solution is a complete restart and then no one will stop me getting to the vault"

"The vault. that's what's this is about that legend?"

" your speculation is predictable"

"whether the vault is real doesn't concern me just what your going to do on a what if!!!"

"are you challenging my authority captain"

"No I quit. I WILL NOT KILL CIVILIANS!!!!...BUT I'll kill monsters like you!!!"

with that Launched at Steele to try to Stop a Disaster...I was a fool.

Steele's powers were too strong she easily overpowered me.

"your heart is in the right place captain but you're morals blind you"

"I'd rather be blind than what you're becoming"

"I won't kill you...I owe you one for saving my daughter...just promise me something?"

"uggh ackk...what?"

"take care of her...take care of Larisa...don't let her become what I am. as your commander this is my final order to you...my last sane order"


with that Steele let me go...she spared me...and more she expressed sorrow and sadness. she hated what she has become.

"It's not too late...work with me. we could bring peace another way..."

"I can't I don't see any hope of that day. not without a complete restart. I know she will go with you please take care of her"

"I will Steele. I just wish you cold see the little light of hope in the darkness"

with that battered and beaten I had no choice but to leave I hadn't the strength to stop her.

"Steele some day I will end this madness"


Chapter 2 part 3: A hero's self doubt

I spent most of the evening studying the layout of the stockade I saw a second way in but I still had to get passed this saturn loader I knew a direct attack wasn't possible so I had to think of another way past it then the constructor. in the morning I went to roland to set up a meeting with my new team.

"you sure this is worth it?"

"it will help us end jack that's more than worth it"

"how many troops do you need?"

"20 at most. how long will we need before were ready?"

"a few weeks"

"a few weeks!!!"

"fixing the gunship will take time. in the mean time try to get volunteers for this mission"

"alright everyone be ready in a few weeks for a detailed debriefing"

with the meeting finished I got to work. I quickly got the soldiers I needed and spent the next morning helping repair the gunship and my afternoon in the shooting range it that's when roland came to speak to me

"got a minute?"

"yeah what's up"

"this takes me back to the old days getting the old team together"

"yeah you come just to reminisce of the past"

"no I've come to ask who are you trying to prove?"

"What do you mean?"

"why do something this dangerous we could find jack a safer way. Not risk your life and the life of my best men"

"because it leads to stopping jack quicker"

"there's more to it than that isn't there"

" sigh. if...if I had went with you lilith might still be alive. If jack remains alive the rest of our friends are going to die. if he isn't stopped Mordecai, Cpl. Reiss, Lt. Davis, Marshall Friedman, us and larisa are going to die. I won't allow that!!!"

"what happened in haven wasn't your fault"

"but I could have made a difference, saved lives..."

with that Roland tried to beet some sense into me

"STOP BLAMING YOURSELF!!!. You still have Larisa"

"you think we're..."

"oh come on we all knew you're close"

"yeah but we've never made anything official"

"so why not now?"

"I don't know for 2 year I've heard of jack's sick deeds. all I've thought about is stopping him. I never thought about being with someone. then I find out Lilith is dead, our friend she was like a twin sister to Larisa they we're such alike few could v tell them apart It makes me think if they'd have mistaken Larisa for Lilith..."

" so take the chance you've got. spend what could be your last weeks together as you've both wanted"

"what?"

"come on, I know how you feel about each other. why can't you admit you're feelings for her?"

"I don't know I'm not good at telling anyone my feelings about them"

"just tell her everything will be fine"

"maybe your right..."


that evening I decided to talk to her

"larisa can we talk about this morning?"

"oh...If you don't want to live here anymore because of that then I don't blame you"

I put my hand on hers and shook my head an spoke as gently as possible

"no I'm not. why did you apologize though?"

Larisa was in tears at this point

"because you hesitated, I took that as a sign of..."

I wiped her tears away with my other hand

"I was suprised that's all. I feel the same"

"you...you do?"

"yes I do"

It was strange I have been in life threatening battles I had to defeat armies and I did that without any fear yet I'm almost visibly shaking s I'm about to tell my closest friend my true feelings.

"I love you Larisa"


larisa looked at me blushing but with a smile on her face her sad tears became tears of joy

"I never thought I'd here you say that"

"It's tooken 5 years to say it but I'd say actions speak louder than words"

"what are you..."

with that I went for a passionate kiss as we locked lips I started to think on what our future could be like.


Part 2 chapter 1: A not so dangerous plan after all

The day was edging closer and closer days turned to weeks. once myself and Larisa confessed our feelings those weeks were the happiest I've been

"how's she doing?"

"I'd say 90% ready for use"

"she flight worthy?"

"you don't trust my skills?"

"not without a coffee first"

"awe you know hot to treat a woman right"

"ha. I should know what my beautiful girlfriend would like"

"is our lovebirds going to get to work sometime today"

"oh... hi Roland. yeah as soon as we have our coffee"

"its alright to be nervous you know this will always be a risky operation"

"I know, Saturn is a highly evolved set of code if he sees through the plan then we're done for I doubt even with the stockades defences used against it if we could kill it."

"Not necessarily Matthew"

"what do you mean?"

"Its a loader. a strong enough corrosive shot could take it down. Have you ever heard of etech weapons?"

"no what are they?"

"they're Hyperion weapons based on they're study on Eridian weapons to produce stronger elemental weapons as elemental guns are becoming far more popular"

"so how can we get a 'etech' gun?"

"we already have the blueprints for one. we have the data from atlas on there data on Eridian tech since Hyperion has the same data we can make etech guns on a massive scale"

"awesome you genius"

"there's no need to flatter me"

"how long would it take to make the elemental weapons?"

"a few hours max"

"seriously!!!"

"yeah the only difference from a normal gun and a etech gun is the barrel and the firing chamber so It won't be long before we have etech heavy guns licence free"

"alright get to work you too" "I'll notify you once were done" with that we got to work once it was complete I got Roland down to inspect the thing we've been working on all this time "wow good job" "isn't she's a beauty. isn't and the gunship is too"

"ahem yeah...anyway the gunship is outlined with 5 inch titanium plating as well as a corrosive immune shield."

"good idea with the shield"

"yes well we realized no matter how thick we make the plating a few corrosive shots at the right place and it's finished."

"the weapons are corrosive launchers and corrosive rail guns and a experimental emp blast wave launcher"

"emp what!"

"it's simply a rocket launcher that fires explosive that when the make contact with anything nearby it will create a emp that should be strong enough to disable anything electronic with within a 20 foot radius hopefully..."

"disabling Saturn"

"it should at least temporarily disable it as well as the loaders and the constructor which just leaves us with any Hyperion soldiers which I can easily dispatch"

"sounds good"

"what about downloading the data"

"I got that covered"

"how?"

"I don't want for anymore to hear this so lets go somewhere quiet"
"why the hush-hush"

"It's complicated you'll understand once you see"

Roland took us to the war room in the hq

"ok spill the beans. what aren't you telling us"

"you remember the Cerberus initiative?"

"of course it was the program to get posible candidates that got linked to a tactical A.I...YOU DON'T MEAN!!?."

I noded and grab my helmet I pull out a tray from the back of the helmet in it was a small box like chip It blinked then made a hologram that looked like Larisa

"I saved her from being destroyed "

"why does she look like me?"

"I was designed to be a trusting aid to troops on the field so my designers made us take the form of someone the host trusts completely and Matthew trusts you the most"

"so how does this work?"
"how do you mean"

"does matthew control you or..."

"god no A.I's are people not slaves it's a symbiotic relationship we work to each others survival plus I owe him my life"

"Larisa, she's my friend more than anything If it wasn't for her I'd be dead"

"why didn't you tell us?"

"you know why most of the integration drove the hosts mad and go on killing spree's as they were using. The A.I's aren't slaves no one seems to understand A.I's are self aware they have to be willing to join with the host not be forced to it was because if the forced integration the A.I's had meltdowns and went on killing spree's that's why they were all sent to be destroyed"

"so how did this one survive?"

"that is a long story but if you want to know then I will tell you"

"good this should be interesting"

"you better take a seat because this is a long story"

Part 2 FLASHBACK: Artificial life is still life

At first I didn't know I was rescuing a A.I. It was just a mayday on the echo, a desperate cry for help and with myself possibly the only person who might give a damn.

"hmmm my echo is picking up a emergency broadcast"

"can anyone hear me please if you can here this please help me the lance are going to kill me please If anyone can here me please respond!!!!"

I couldn't let someone die without at least trying to help

"I hear you what is your situation?"

"I'm imprisoned in the dividing faults factory there going to incinerate me and a group of others.

"how long have you got till they do so?"

" an hour or 2"

" I'm sorry I may not be able to save everyone, it's about a hour and a half travel time but I will save as many as I can what can I call you?"

"... call me chloe. what are we to call you?"

"I'm ex lance captain Matthew shepherd"

"your with these people?!!!"

"I was till our m.o. was changed to mass genocide"

"but my status as captain remains Steele doesn't want others to know of my leave so It's your best shot at leaving all I have to say is new orders They have to be moved somewhere else and you and your friends are free"

"thank you mr shepherd we owe you"

"just see if you can delay the inevitable for as long as possible"

"ok see you soon... wait how will we know you are our contact"

"my armor is different from the rest. it has officer's stripes on the shoulders and my armor is red and blue no one else has my armor design. just de-activate the echo for now. I'll see you soon"

I went as fast as I could even risked getting attacked by stealing a bandit's car to get there sooner. I arrived at the factory in just over an hour when I saw the factory I put two and two together I knew I wasn't rescuing any humans with this it made my story easier to tell.

"halt no admittance to this facility. back away or we'll have no choice but to attack"

"we'll atleast your not being as strict with the new m.o."

I got out of the car to greet the soldier. he was just a private getting past him was easy

"c c cc...captain s..sss...shepherd what are you doing here sir?"

"I need in, command wants the A.I's back to the base for further study"

"of course I'll notify my superior right away"

"at ease private. I require a lance transport to return in"

"yes sir"

I proceeded to walk in the facility on my way in there leader was a young sergeant

"sargent samuel black reporting. private fraser told me you are here to collect the A.I's for further study"

"correct is that a problem sergeant?"

"no of course not but we destroyed most of them"

"how many remain?"

"twelve once you arrived we stopped the destruction"

"I better see if that is enough"

I activated my echo to pretend to contact hq but I contacted the A.I's instead

"hello this is captain shepherd come in"

."captain you have arrived"

" yes I'm here.. only 12 remain"

"there is please hurry I don't want to die"

"I understand I'll pick up these A.I's and return as soon as possible"

"you know...just hurry"

"over and out.sargent take me to the A.I's"

"of course sir this way"

with that the sargent lead my to the A.I's

"here we are my men put the A.I's in the container over ,well all but one"


"why not the other one?"

"It's stuck in that helmet we can't remove it"

"I'll just take it with the helmet then"

"ok captain shall I escort you back?"

"no that will be all"

after that I left with the A.I's to somewhere quiet and secure to talk to them.

"chloe can you hear me?"

that's when a hologram came out of the helmet of a thin dark haired woman

"yes I can hear you"

"why didn't you tell me you were an A.I?"

the other A.I also projected a hologram but of Steele instead and they talked in unison

"because we were afraid"

"you thought if I knew the truth I'd not help?"

"yes"

"then check your data on me you know I have an account on my thoughts on the project that created you"

"here it is...you think we deserve to be independent or atleast pick our hosts"

" life is life, artificial or not you have rights as self-aware life"

"then we owe your life and we want to help you"

"how can you help me?" "we want you to be our host"

"I'm honoured you want to do that but I don't want 12 different A.I's in my head at once"

"we will fuse our A.I cores to become a consensus"

"like a hive mind?"

"something like that"

with that all the holograms fused into chloe and became a new A.I.

"chloe...are you alright?"

"this feels strange...I am one but I feel so different from my previous self. I am more powerful for one but I have a combination of 12 personality's too"

"your technicaly a new person correct?"

"I guess I am"

"then how about we call you...Rachel"

"Rachel hmm I like that actually. Yeah I'm Rachel"

"ok getting to the point how does this work do I just put you inside the helmet or..."

"I replace the echo recorder. remove your echo recorder and attach me instead"

"but I thought they said they couldn't remove you from that helmet?"

"they couldn't cause I didn't want them to but I will for you. just push the button on your helmet and put me were the recorder was"

"ok what now?"

"well this will hurt alot unfortunately"

"why?" "because I have to integrate myself with your brain"
"WHAT!!!"

" I integrate with the hosts brain so I can properly help them"

"you mean after this I can't remove my helmet?"

"no it means we share our thoughts at a short range"

"lets just do this"

with that the 'intregration' began. it was by far the most painful thing I've experienced. as the A.I was inserting something into my brain. because of the pain a blanked out when I came to my world had changed without my helmet I saw the world like I would with the echo recorder as well as a few differences with a thought the vision became heat vision, with another it became night vision then back to normal

"Rachel where are you"

"I'm right behind you"

I turned around to see my helmet with the hologram but this time it was in Larisa's form

"why do you look like my friend Larisa?"

"our first main protocol of my programming is to get as strong a trust between myself and my host our main way to build that fast is to take the appearance of the person the host trusts the most"

"so what now?"

"that depends on you"

Part 2 Flashback part 2:The unstoppable duo of man and machine

Once our minds were linked Rachel took your form we spent the next few months chasing leads on your locations one of those leads lead to a Hyperion base in friendship gulag which served as a prison I heard a rumour that lance high ranking soldiers were in there.

"you know anything about this place Rachel?"

"It's a level 4 facility, I'm detecting 250 heat signatures as well as around 200+ power sources"

"so 200 loaders and 250 prisoners?"

"no judging by their movement 50-70 prisoners the rest are Hyperion soldiers"

"ok switch my vision to heat and let me take care of the snipers try to find a way to stop the loaders activating"

"activating heat vision. I'll notify you when I find a way to stop the loaders from activating"

"thank you. now lets see 12 snipers 4 per tower no problem especially with my stealth system"

Before they could even detect me I took down one sniper tower's crew and grabbed the sniper rifle and took down the other 8 snipers.


"the one thing with a scope I hate, you can't see your surroundings It makes you too easy a target"

"Matthew there is a generator nearby destroying it would set off a emp deactivating the loaders at least temporarily"

"good lets do it"

pulling out a maliwan electric elemental pistol I shot the generator and the resulting blast overloaded the loaders as predicted

"good job Rachel"

"no problem glad to help"

"now there still is a problem of the guards left . an electrical fir caused by the generators overloading should do the trick"

I switched to I fire elemental pistol and shot the generator again this time it caused a huge explosion causing all the area with the loaders to be on fire which caused the soldiers to run to it to deal with the fire with a almost sadistic smile on my face

"perfect"


ulling out a rocket launcher I fired a rocket at the group the shell split into 5 parts then exploding wiping out the soldiers

"there we go now to check the cells"

"the cells are at the end and then underground"

I ran to the position Rachel told me sure enough there was lance soldiers I only knew one of them

"well well if it isn't master mcCloud. your meant to be dead?"

"ha well no I was barley alive but I recovered now I'm in a cell by Hyperion"

"Is my friends here?"

"no I was with them in haven but after it got attacked. I got separated from the others then captured"

"is she alive?"

"who?"

"LARISA? IS SHE ALIVE?"

"as far as I'm aware yes"

"fine then your helping me get to haven."

"ok"

I pulled out my corrosive elemental laser blade
"stay back "
I cut through the bar and let mcCloud out

"good how do we free the rest?"

"Inside there a switch use it and were all be free"
"fine"

I released them and we all left the facility

"thank you captain"

"it's fine your free do as you please"

with that we went separate ways myself and mcCloud went to haven I decided to keep Rachel a secret from him we arrived outside of new haven

"wow haven is a mess"

"those Hyperion bastards. They attack anything and everything. split up and see if we can find intelligence on where they went"

"ok fine but after this your on your own. I have no doubt they're alive but I don't care"

"fine after this we go our separate way but for now search the ruins"

we searched the city and while searching in a building mcCloud found a note in Roland's writing

"Matthew I found something come here!!!"

"what is it?"

"look at this"

"lets see. the letter reads..."

'to my soldiers in case of emergency evac head to old haven and wait for orders is no orders are heard within 24 hours assume I'm dead and the highest in rank is the new leader then head to outpost alpha h good luck Roland'

"Old haven hmmm"

"well I'm going there then"

"ok Matthew I guess I'll get going but If you want to but heads any time here's my echo channel"

"where will you go?"

"I'm going to meet the other prisoners they were going to build a city in flint's old base"
"well good luck mcCloud"

"see you captain"

Chapter 3 Part 1:the day approaches

"that's everything that sums up everything I did in the 2 years."

"do you trust her?"

"yes if I die she dies and it works both ways. combining human will to survive and The advanced mental capability of A.I's makes an almost immortal team"

"well you showed us your secret it's about time we showed you ours"

"what do you..."

Roland pressed a button under the table and the monitors showed a young dark haired woman with pale skin.

"This is Angel"

"Who is this Roland?"

"she is a Hyperion made A.I"

"what?"

"can you trust Hyperion A.I's? no offence"

"I could say the same to a atlas A.I"

it was strange I could feel the tension between the A.I's I suppose it was down to my neural link to Rachel we felt each others emotions. maybe cause I don't trust angel Rachel doesn't I decided to try to break the tension

"ladies, ladies calm down you don't need to fight Rachel I know we don't trust her but give her a chance. angel Rachel isn't your replacement. just more help."

"your right Matthew I'm sorry angel But he's right I know how Hyperion is and how they would program a A.I in the end of the day I am still following my core programing to protect my partner. Hyperion only know to kill and slaughter not help. because Matthew thinks this I also think this we share our views and beliefs and as of yet we don't trust you. Matthew trusts me but that trust has been built over a year and a half."

"I understand why you don't trust me but please understand Hyperion may have made me but they don't control me. I made Hyperion think I work for them to get good Intel for Roland. I don't hate your friend Rachel. I envy her. In a way she has more freedom than I, I can't go any ware, I cant feel what she feels through you. I wish I had the freedom she has."

"angel..."

"it's ok Roland."

"Roland, Larisa if you can look me in the eye's and tell me you trust her then we will"

Roland did as a requested

"I trust her with my life and everyone's here"

I could tell Roland was telling the truth he was always brutally honest I could see it in his eyes. the confidence. he was being honest

"Larisa it's your turn. do you trust her"

"I do"
Larisa spoke confidently but I saw doubt in her eyes. but she was scared. not of angel but of me. I went to hug her.

"I'm sorry. I don't want to see you harmed that's all"

"Matthew it may be best you leave"

"Rachel..."

"I'm detecting increasing a increasing in your anxiety and stress levels. your own worry is affecting my judgement. please go out side to calm down"

"... ... fine I'll see you in a while. just be safe"
so I left sanctuary to wander go for a walk to clear my head. there was a snow storm. I found it a good metaphor for my current judgement . scattered, unclear.

"I know I can't trust her completely because she's Hyperion. yet I was a crimson lance member I didn't agree with our views once they changed. But she has protocols written by Hyperion. yet Rachel is similar. do I truly only trust her because she looks like Larisa?. no I have built that trust. I just need to give angel the chance to build that trust."

"Matthew if you talk out loud like that more often everyone will start to think you're more crazy than me."

That voice it was definitely him. My twin brother Gabrial.

"well well It's been a while eh brother."

"it has and this snow is the perfect back drop for a fight!!!"

Gabrial charged at me with a sword drawn. he kept attacking I just simply dodged. despite Gabrial's want to kill me I hadn't the same desire.

While in sanctuary Rachel must have detected I was fighting.

"Oh no!!! Matthews in danger."

"Rachel what's wrong?"

"Matthew is fighting a powerful opponent"

"what...who"

"its Gabrial"

"Gabrial?"

"I'm surprised he didn't tell you about him Larisa."

"tell us who he is Rachel"

"Gabrial is Matthew's identical twin brother, but looks aside there polar opposite. Gabrial loves slaughter. he's unstable and to make things worse he's on par with Matthew. unfortunately Matthew is at a disadvantage."


"how so?"

"because unlike his brother he doesn't want to kill him."

"then we have to help"

"yes lets go"

mean while I was still evading Gabrial's attacks not wanting to fight back and kill him

"why won't you just let me kill you!!!. Draw your sword and fight damn it"

"brother we don't have to do this. just leave, nothing has to happen. I don't want to kill you."

"that's too bad...Because I WANT TO KILL YOU"

as Gabrial charged at me I took my chance using my armoured gauntlet I smashed his sword and kicked him down

"give up"

"...no"

"I won't kill you but I won't let you hurt my friends"

"jack says hello by the way"

"what you mean..."

Gabrial just smiled

"I will cleanse the universe with a chaotic fire with Hyperion as it's fuel. then we can start again"

"genocide isn't the answer"

"it's not genocide its rebirth. and your girlfriend is my first target. Oh I would have fun with her"

I knew garial he said that for two reasons 1 because he wants to do it and 2 because he wants me to fight him.

"you leave her out of this"

"oh that lit a spark. if you want me to not do anything to her draw your weapon and fight. or mark my words she will be bent over stark naked in a cell crying"

That was the last straw

"yes there we are the rage. ha ha ha ha lets see how good you've been training"

I throw a sword at him

"if you want a honourable death I won't give you one. you'll suffer for what you said"

"well see"

Gabriel charged at me. he made a mistake however. when I'm enraged my skills improve not get worse.

"come on and fight back"


"your sword play has gotten worse in the years"

that's when everyone had found me with Rachel's help

"Matthew!!!"

"stay back!!!"

"your Larisa I'd enjoy having fun with you hmmmm"

"that won't happen brother not on my watch"

"we'll see. shall we continue?"

I readied my sword

"come on then"

we clashed swords and fists for 5 minutes and when I disarmed him I knocked him out...or so I thought.

"I'm not done yet"

before I could react I had a sword in my stomach and another in my shoulder. I coughed up blood. and fell to my knees

"it's over. why don't you come her dear Larisa. your mine now"

"you'll have to go through me yet freak"

"R...Roland...Don't"

Roland charged at Gabrial. but he was knocked aside with out a problem

"all your friends can't help you. that Roland fellow is currently unconscious and my brother is currently bleeding out just give in and let me have my fun"

"Matthew...Roland...NOOOOO!!!!"

"What the?"

before everyone's eyes Larisa was being enveloped in a purple aura. and tattoo's were appearing on her body her siren powers had awakened. Larisa had no control over powers though she had no idea how to control them

"how about that a siren that will just make it more fun"

"I don't think so freak"

"who said that"

with a blinding flash Gabrial was sent flying. at first I believed it was done by Larissa but the aura dissipated and it was and I couldn't believe my eyes. IT WAS LILITH

"good riddance...oh no ROLAND"

Lilith ran to Roland but she had let her guard down

"Roland speak to me!!!"

"you should be focusing on his attacker you fool"

as Gabrial charged at Lilith I summoned all my reserve strength to catch up to Gabrial and save Lilith

"I told you leave them out of this. I warned you to leave them be"

"you should have bled out by now"

"the advantage of plasma blades. I used it to seal my wounds"

"no damn it oh well you won't kill me it isn't in your nature"

"maybe but I will give you something to never forget"

with that I cut off his limbs

"aahhhh you crazy psycho"

"I'll dump you at hyperons door in the morning and when I do tell jack this is what happens to people who hurt my friends. your lucky your my brother. you should've stayed in the asylum where you belong."

"you can hardly talk. were both damaged goods"

"did you tell them that were not natural...you tell them were artificial humans..."

"Matthew?"

"oh they don't know do they? or maybe you forgot your origins...TR6"

"see you brother"

"you can't leave me like this?"

"I've left you like this every time we've fought before. or have you forgot that we regenerate?"

"ah the sword thing was a lie. It's too bad you are a good hearted fool. we could be gods to these people"

"I believe I just proved gods can die then"

"one day I'll be back again and I will prove myself the better one of us"

before everyone's eyes Gabrial had regenerated his limbs and had ran away. before I could react Lilith had me by the neck pined against. the wall

"what are you...WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU?"

"Lilith please put him down he just saved us"

"you still think you can trust him? we don't even know if he's human"

"he's still Matthew he's still my boyfriend"

"these freaks battle nearly got all of us killed"

"that freak Lilith is also my best friend"

"Roland?"

"please it doesn't matter what he is he's matthew, our friend my boyfriend"

"fine"

Lilith releases me

"tell us everything"

"alright I'll tell you everything I know about what we are"


Part3 Chapter 2: A WARRIORS PAST

"The Cerberus initiative wasn't Atlas's first attempt at improving soldiers. the Cerberus initiative was cybernetically augmenting soldiers to improve there skill, but there was another secret project called project S"

"project S?"

"it was short for project siren"

"what?"

"the plan was to artificially create sirens"

Lilith had put me back against the wall

"you telling me your a freaking siren?!!!"

"a attempt that wasn't a complete failure"

"Gabrial is one too then?"

"yes. he is"

Larisa spoke up first time since todays events

"am I one of them? a artificial siren"

"no your not, there was only 12 of us lived"

"who were they, what happened to them"

"..."

"tell us Matthew before I rip a hole through your artificial chest"

"Lilith don't"

"but Larisa he's a freak what if he turns on us"

"I've been with him, slept with him, HE IS OUR FRIEND AND MY BOYFRIEND"

that made me smile. she saw the freak of nature we are. what we can do yet she still saw me as a human being.

"Larisa you still trust me after this?"

"your a idiot if you think I wont. please tell us what happened to them."

"...I don't want to relive those memories. I can tell you what happened to 8 of us but don't make me remember what happened to the other two"

"the two besides you and your brother?"

"yes"

I must have been visibly shaking, tears running down my face I never wanted to remember that day again.
Larisa went to hug me to provide comfort me

"look at the state he's in clearly it was a traumatic event. can you just drop it"

Roland was agreeing with her

"tell us bout the 8 then"

"four had weak immune systems, they died of illness. the other four I helped give a normal life."

"atlas didn't come after them?"

"no. atlas saw them as failures as they had no desire to fight, because of that they signed a deal to never disclose knowledge of the programs. they were given fake names and each of them is living a happy life last I heard."

"which leaves the last four."

I felt sick in my stomach. I puked right there on the spot

"please don't make me remember."

"he did something didn't he?"

I could only nod

"he killed them"

"yes that's all you need to know"

"there's more to it. isn't there"

"I'm begging you don't make me recall that event."

"TELL ME!!!"

"HE MURDERED THEM AND RAPED THEY'RE CORPSES!!!.I...I tried to..."

I puked again, the image of what he did was so vividly burned in my mind

"my god...he's a monster"

"you wanted to know. are you happy now?"

"why?"

"why what?"

"why let him?, why spare him?"

"he wasn't always the monster that you met, he was a caring person once."

"who were the two?"

"there's no point holding back anymore you know the worst of it. they were called Samantha and Rachel."

"Rachel? you named the A.I after one of them?"

""yes"

"Why?"

"cause we were as close as I am with Larisa. her name still has a effect on me and I wanted someone else to carry her name on to have her remembered as a hero, so I could remember like she was before...before it happened"

"you were together?"

"yes when there was only 12 of us together we didn't see the outside world. since we only knew of each other we started pairing up."

"what about Samantha?"

"she was Gabrial's girlfriend."

"that thing had a girlfriend?"

"I told you he wasn't always the way he is."

"what could change a man to what Gabrial is like?"

"war Roland. war can turn a kind man to a killing psycho. war changes minds, turn's you to cold killers, Gabrial is a soldier without shackles."

"don't compare us to him."

"am I still counting as us anymore?"

"what"

"I went and fought the same battles he did, had the same experiments done. I could very well turn out like my brother."

"your not him. Matthew. you'll never be"

"war does change people but not always to that degree"

"my brother and I are more alike than you think."

"tell us more then about project S"

"project S was the short hand of project Siren. Atlas had tried to create artificial sirens. we were the first surviving. group. but we could not use any phase ability's than real sirens have. well at first anyway"

"they could later?"

I just showed them turning invisible

"this is what you call phase walk I believe"

"you have phase powers?"

"yes."

"could we

continue. you were saying they didn't have phase ability's at the time"

"oh right. like I said 4 had a weakened immune system and died of illness. and four had no desire to fight so they signed a silencing contract and got left to live normal life's that left the four of us."

"what happened to you four?"

"we began to get combat training. along with experiments to further alter our d.n.a so we could be true sirens."

"why did you all not leave with the others?"

"the four of us had similar reasons we wanted to fight to earn our freedom, to be protectors of the human race. That's what they told us was the reason we existed"

"what happened on the day?"

"...I was getting my examination to see if my body was reacting negatively to any experiments done on my body. then we all had medical examinations. we had our first real combat experience. the first time you kill someone your mind changes. everyone preserves what they had done differently, to justify murder."

"how did you and those women justify it?"

we a continue. you were saying they didn't have phase ability's at the time"

"oh right. like I said 4 had a weakened immune system and died of illness. and four had no desire to fight so they signed a silencing contract and got left to live normal life's that left the four of us."

"what happened to you four?"

"we began to get combat training. along with experiments to further alter our d.n.a so we could be true sirens."

"why did you all not leave with the others?"

"the four of us had similar reasons we wanted to fight to earn our freedom, to be protectors of the human race. That's what they told us was the reason we existed"

"what happened on the day?"

"...I was getting my examination to see if my body was reacting negatively to any experiments done on my body. then we all had medical examinations. we had our first real combat experience. the first time you kill someone your mind changes. everyone preserves what they had done differently, to justify murder."

"how did you and those women justify it?"

we agreed that we were taking lives to save more lives. but something happened to Gabrial. he was enjoying it. he saw it as killing everything would make the universe more peaceful. he liked fighting, just to see if someone had the guts to try to kill him. he enjoyed killing. but to him just killing those he was ordered to. wasn't enough he wanted to spill everyone's blood.

on the day he had lured me away and trapped me inside a cell with heavy reinforced steel. he had turned rogue the guards tried to stop him. but he was too powerful. he took Samantha by surprise. killing her. he seemed to enjoy killing women more. Rachel try'd to get help to release me so we could stop him. she said she turned to see Gabrial using Samantha like a sex doll the site made her puke.

somehow a guard had survived long enough to get the cell unlocked and what I saw made me puke. blood and body parts everywhere, some Samantha was impaled through the chest barley alive.

she told me

"Gabrial did this. and he's after Rachel...please...stop...him"

Samantha had died right there. I removed the pole that was impaling her and closed her eyes. when I found Gabrial I was too late Rachel had a knife in her chest and Gabrial was riding her like a toy. she didn't have the strength to resist him. I shot him in the back, getting him off Rachel.

"Rachel!!!.stay with me focus on me."

"Matthew...I'm... sorry...please...stop...him"

"no...no no no no. stay with me. DON'T LEAVE ME!!!. RACHEL!!!!."

"did my toy die?"

"what the hell did they do to you?"

"nothing. I've seen the truth. no one is worth saving. only a complete restart of the universe can bring peace"

"listen to what you saying. wiping all life is not the answer. you killed Samantha and Rachel. you killed our closest friends"

that seemed to snap him out of his blood lust

"no...no what have I done!!!"

"you know what you've done."

I wanted to kill him. but I saw the old him was still there somewhere in the blood covered beast

"kill me."

"what?"

"kill me before I kill more"

"no. you need help. I'll get you in a asylum they can help you control your blood lust."

"I'm a lost cause. KILL ME!!!"

I couldn't he was still my brother. the guards came through and surrounded Gabrial. I went to Rachel's body It had finally sank in the was gone. I just cradled her for five minutes. crying. I had lost the closest person to me


"RACHEL!!!"


after that Gabrial was sent to a Dahl run asylum for mentally scared soldiers hoping one day Gabrial can return to the way he was.

"that's everything. atlas saw the project as a huge failure. the made me sign the silencing contract and I was told to leave."

"Matthew...I'm sorry"

Larisa was still by my side. tears running down her cheeks.

"Larisa I'm sorry I didn't tell you sooner. I wanted to protect you from those memory's."

"you have nothing to be sorry about."

"do you think the asylum helped him?"

"I don't know. he wanted to fight me as of sibling rivalry. not for blood. maybe he was better. but Hyperion released him early. his treatment isn't finished"

"what now?"

"I still have a mission to do. even if no one trusts me anymore. if that's true I'll just go myself."

"Lilith this is your fault he's like this"

Lilith just stood there frozen she couldn't believe what I had told her

"I...I...I'm sorry. no wonder you kept it a secret. you still need to man up though."

"Lilith?"

"Gabrial is another reason Hyperion needs to be stopped. you will go to the info stockade. you will get that Intel and you will stop jack."

"Your right. I have to stop jack...I will stop jack"

Lilith was right. I was the best bet at ending jack. I will stop him and If my brother gets involved. I will no longer share my brother's sinns.

That night I was gathering everything getting ready for the assult, Larisa hadn't left my side since that evening.

"I've stocked all the ammo and the guns have been calibrated."

"what about the gunship?"

"all set."

"and the squad?"

" half of them have refused to go."

"only half?"

"Roland convivnced most of them to still do it"

"what about Lilith?"

"she went back into hiding"

"can we do this?"

"of course we can. now come on lets get some rest."

Chapter 3 part 2 :The Day Arrives


Today was the day. The day of my hardest mission,to storm the info stockade and get the intel on Jacks location. Since I revealed the truth my team has been reduced to 5, no one trusts me. why would they? Who would trust me? I'm just a weapon no more no less. I know Larisa trusts me but I don't want her to join me on this.

I've decided, I can pilot the gunship on my own. I'm leaving on my own,Yes I may be acting stupid but 4 more people won't make a difference.

I set out to the stockade not knowing I was being watched.

"Matthew Shepherd is heading to the Stockade as we speak."

"who's with him?"

"Just that Atlas AI."

"Well then Kiddo, We'll have a surprise for him when he returns to his friends. Won't we Angel?"

"Yes Jack."

"He'll come back to his filthy bandit friends dead, Massacred by my loaders. Gabrial get in here."

"What is it sir?"

"Head to Sanctuary, lead the assult there but I want Steele's kid Alive.got that?"

"Fine, everyone else?"

"You can Kill the rest."

"It's going to be so much fun,I'll rip out there limbs and make them eat them them make them crawl with their tongues. before having real fun."

"You scare me sometimes you know that Kiddo?"

"I'm a gun and your my wielder, It shouldn't matter if I enjoy it or not."

"That's a great way to think it, since you can only kill who I tell you too. You've been reckless before satisfying your bloodlust. I NEED STEELE'S KID ALIVE!!!"

"I heard you the first time. no need to shout it."

"It would be the first time you turned a capture into a slaughter just to satisfy your lust for death."

"Jack, Matthew Shepherd has reached the Stockade."

"Thank you Angel, You have your mission Gabrial go do it."

"Right, I'll make sanctuary red with my enemies blood and internal organs."

I had arrived at the Info Stockades location, putting the gunship to fly round in a two hundred foot radius as I went to use it's weapons to destroy the loaders when Saturn eventually showed up.

"There you are. I think It's time to test Larisa's emp rocket Launcher."

I waited for the perfect shot, I fired the rocket directly at Saturn's head.

"Rachel is it down?"

"For now, It's circuits are overloaded but it's trying to reboot itself."

"we better hurry then."

I jumped out of the gunship onto a small hole on the roof of the Stockade building. I landed in the hole and the console I needed was just next to that whole.

"Ok Rachel, do your thing."

"Got it plug me into the console."

"Done, how long will this take?"

"Five minutes."

"FIVE MINUTES?!!!"

"Yes it's heavily incripted data."

"Guess I'll just have to hold my ground."

"Intruder Alert, Intruder Alert. All hands to stations"

"Looks like they know were here now."

"Yes they'll have to go up those stairs to fight you."

"Yeah it'll be fish in a barrel."

I was right the soldiers charged the stairway just to get gunned down by me, bodies were stacking fast with hyperion's soldiers climbing over there comrades to try to stop me.

"Matthew the loaders are back online."

"Damn...how close are we?"

"We're 80% done."

"We're too close to stop now. I just need to hold out a little longer."

I continued to hold my ground,killing the soldiers as they stormed the stairway and dealing with loaders as they flew up to the floor I was in.

"It's finished ,all downloaded."

"Great job Rachel. Now let's get out of here."

I climbed the lader to the roof and grabbed the open ramp of the gunship and flew away but Saturn was rebooted and had struck a engine.

"Not good, Rachel can we make it back?"

"I think so."

"ok let's go home."

Unfortunately I wasn't aware what was happening at sanctuary, I didn't know my friends were in trouble.



Chapter 4 part 1: Assult On Sanctuary

I was heading back to Sanctuary when I saw smoke in the Distance,then fire and then red. Hyperion loaders were scattered throughout Sanctuary.

"Oh no...."

"The scene reminded me of the Atlas facility after Gabrial turned of everyone, the site making me gag."

"There is still people alive Matthew."

"This ship can't fly for much longer, Where is the largest group of Loaders."

"North east side, no life detected there."

"Good, I'm taking the gunship in for a crash landing."

I managed to stear the gunship to a group of about 30 Loaders. I jumped out through the cockpit window in the last second to avoid being caught by the explosion.

"I need to find Larisa."

"She maybe dead..."

"No I won't accept that till I see her."

I heard Roland in the distance fighting.

"Stick together and make a push!!!"

Pulling out my new corrosive E-tech assultrifle I charged to help Roland. I charged through the reck that Sanctuary was in. I managed to get to Roland and take down the Loaders. Lilith and Roland were back to back, surrounded. I had arrived just in time.

"Matthew thank god your here."

"What the hell happened, I was gone for only a half hour?"

"Not long after you left Hyperion sent a massive assult team against us lead by your brother."

"Gabrial...Where is he?

"Gone...he took Larisa with him."

"HE DID WHAT!!!"

"He knocked her out and left."

"DAMN IT I CAN'T LOOSE HER TOO!!!"

I must have been visibly angry. Gabrial had took Rachel from me now he intends to do the same to Larisa. I can't let him, I wont let him kill her. I grit my teeth and clenched my fists.

"I'll kill him,I'LL FUCKING MURDER HIM IF HE HURTS HER!!!"

"We don't know where to search?"

"we do. I have the data in me, I can find where she'll be."

"Good."

With the loaders pushed back by the three of us eventually they were wiped out.

"What a mess, over 5000 dead."

"I know, they hit really hard."

"Why only take Larisa?"

"I don't know Lilith."

"Isn't it obvious? Gabrial did it because he wants to take everything from me."

"Gabrial's doing this just to target you?"

"Most likely."

Gabrial has took Larisa, I pray she's unharmed.

"Rise and Shine Kiddo...your here."

"Uuugh where am...YOU!!!"

"Well du who else would it be, I'm me no one else can be me. Well except for my body dubble."

"Why am I here?"

"Because your the Last remaining siren on Pandora. After all your Mother and Lilith are dead. I need a siren to charge the vault key."

"But the Vault was destroyed years ago."

"There is a second Vault that has another creature but this once can be controlled by the person that frees the creature. It will end my struggle with bandits on pandora then I will use it to control the universe."

"You think I'll say yeah sure lets do it."
"Would you be surprised if I said yes."

"I won't do it they're my friends."

"come on toots, you'd get to live, maybe even as my Queen"

"Queen? more like slave."

"well if your into that kind of stuff then."

"I won't do it."

"I'm giving you a chance to be my queen and rule the universe together kiddo, don't you want that kind of power."

"Not if I have to kill Matthew."

"And there it is, you care about your boyfriend more than anything. I'll tell you what. If you work for me I won't kill him."

"I can't trust you."

"oh come on I'm the good guy here, work with me."

"Good guy? You've slaughterd thousands!!!"

"They are bandits, Matthew has killed as many in his life as a soldier."

"You've killed civilians, that's what makes you different from Matthew don't you dare compare yourself to him!!!"
"I think I touched a nerve there. if you don't work with me Gabrial will make you."


"I'll make sure your in as much pain as possible without dying."

"I don't care, Matthew will come for me."

"He's probably dead in sanctuary by now."

"Your wrong."

"Jack I've got news about the assult."

"Lay it on me Angel."

"Angel...you backstabing bitch."

"Did you honestly think she'd help you out?"

"Larisa I'm sorry I can't betray him, he's my dad."

"Dad what are you on about?"

"Angel is my daughter hooked up to Hyperion network, a living super computer,If she tried to betray me she'd get shut down and she'd be killed. It's a dubble cross making you believe she betrayed me when she actually works for me."

"That's your own daughter your talking about,Look what you've done to her she's suffering like that."

"well if you help me you'll take her place and end her suffering as the stronger siren to power the key."

"I'll do it to save her..."

"No...I want to do this."

"Angel?"

"Father...I can do this just let me do this no one else."

"If that's the case then I don't need you kiddo, Gabrial have some fun with her."

"I will. I'l break every bone before I break your will. You'll beg for death but you'll die when Matthew arrives."

"Matthew will save me."

"Alright Angel tell me the news."

"Sancuary suffered 5000 losses."

"What about the leaders."

"They're still alive."

"WHAT!!!"

"Matthew managed to rally the survivors and eliminate the loaders."

"I told you he'll come to save me."

"When he does, you'll die and jack will kill him."

Chapter 4 part2: The final showdown, A WARRIOR'S LAST STAND


I headed to the terminal in hq so Rachel could find out where Larisa is sooner than later.

"I've found something."

"What is it?"

"The order was made on the night you fought Gabrial."

"The what's the details?"

"As soon as the stockade was attacked to launch a heavy assult on Sanctuary as most likely the best solders would be attacking the Stockade, Priority of mission is to capture Larisa Steele as her latent siren powers are of use."

"They're after her because of her hidden siren powers."

"Where is she?"

"In a Hyperion base in hero's pass,She was to be contained in a cell as Jack had to use her powers for something."

"For what?"

"It doesn't say."

"It will be to charge the vault key."

"The vault key? the vault was destroyed wasn't it."

"Yes but I've heard rumours of Jack finding a second vault."

"In hero's pass?"


"Possibly."

"I'm going."

"What."

"I'm bringing Larisa home...have zed ready to treat any medical wounds she has."

"Jack needs her alive."

"Gabrial won't care...I'll contact you once I find her."

"Matthew wait!!!"

"Roland!!!"

"He can't go alone Lilith,tell zed to get ready to operate if necessary."

"...ok just come back to me."

"I will"

I ran to the fast travel, Rachel has hero's pass fast travel co-ordinates.I then got ready. I was thrown immediately into combat.

"Rachel how many?"

"I can't tell the heat is messing with my scanners."

"Damn...Roland?"

"You think I'd let you go alone?"

"We've got hostiles on all sides."

"Just like the first time we rescued Larisa."

"Yeah but this time McCloud isn't here."

"That's where you wrong."

"Cloud?"

"Lilith told me, I'm here because of my debt to Steele. I will help get Lilith safe. That and I owe you for saving me infact we all owe you."

"we?"

That's when they came through over 300 lance soldiers.

"They've come to repay what the owe to you."

"Thanks, LET'S SAVE LARISA STEELE AND END JACK'S REIGHN!!! CHARGE!!!!"

what looked hopeless has turned hopeful. The lance are far superior to Jack's soldiers, a huge battle has began.

"Come on let's push on through. They're lance,they can handle this."

"Right, if we do this and get Larisa home safely, I'll owe you for eternity."

"Yeah Let's go."

Myself,Roland and McCloud stormed through the battle field into the main facility when the path split in three.

"Tyipical. Should we split up?"

"Yeah we need to get to Larisa, I'll take the middle."

"I'll take right."

"That leaves me with left"

"ok keep your com on tell us if you find her."

"got it."

I headed down my path. I took the correct path and found Larisa. she's alive but barley,she was covered in blood, her bones sticking out,her face smacked in. the site brought me to tears.

"M...Mathew...I knew you would come."

"Larisa, what did they do to you...Guy's I've found her."

"how bad is it?"

"She's alive but, hurt badly."

"we're on our way."

Roland and McCloud rushed to my location and saw her in that state. McCloud puked and Roland was in tears to.

"just what did they do to you miss Steele?"

"It ain't that bad is it? Gabrial did this."

"Gabrial...THAT BASTARD!!!"

"He did this?"

"Yes he said he wanted me to suffer before He killed me infront of Matthew."

"Yes and Now I'm back just to do that."

"Get her out of here."

"but..."

"NOW ROLAND, CLOUD GET HER OUT OF HERE NOW!!!"

"Matthew..."

"I'll be right behind you. I promise."

"Please...come back I need you."

"You need a doctor right now more."

Carrying the crippled Larisa. Roland and McCloud left through the fast travel nearby. I shot in with a corrosive revolver.

"I'm sorry Larisa but I can't leave yet, Gabrial...I'll kill you."

"Well bring it on."

I didn't care for Gabrial no more. he may be my brother but I see there is no saving him. I had no reason to hold back It didn't take much to break his sword and then his arms.

"I'll do to you what you did to Larisa. starting with your arms."

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!. BROTHER PLEASE!!!..."

"SHE BEGGED YOU TO STOP DIDN'T SHE? YOU DIDN'T LISTEN TO HER, WHY SHOULD I LISTEN TO YOU!!! NOW YOUR OTHER ARM!!!"

"AAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!"

"NOW FOR YOUR LEGS!!!"

"AAAAAAAAAAA!!!!"

"HOW ABOUT I BREAK YOUR RIBS NOW?"

"please...no more."

"why? you've done this to so many others."

"Don't become me..."

"...I'm sorry brother."

"I know I deserve this but your better than this."

"I'm not..."

"Your not, you wouldn't have saved her if you was."

"Your right. I'll get you back we'll fix you up get you back into the hospital. I'll make you the old you."

"I'm a lost cause, your not. Give me a mercyful death,I know I don't deserve it but don't go down my path. don't become me, one of me is enough of this monster. just promise me something, Jackck is a monster like me. Please end his pain too."

"Brother...I promise I'll never go down this path and I'll stop jack."

My anger had become sorrow. the unexpected pep talk from Gabrial had me upset more. he used what humanity left to stop me being like him. I will confront Jack.

They'd be in sanctuary by now. I need to communicate with them.

"Roland it's me, Gabrial's dead."

"Matthew? thank god."

"Is she ok?"

"Zed said she'll recover, her wounds seem purposely non fatal. Her blood loss isn't much. he needed to amputate her limbs though, she's got cybernetic replacements though."

"can I speak to her?"

"Yeah sure."

"Matthew...where are you?"

"Still in hero's pass,Gabrial is dead."

"Come back then."

"I can't."

"why can't you come back?"

"The base is sealed and the fast travel got destroyed."

"What now then?"

"The only other fast travel is in Jack's office."

"You don't mean..."

"I need to kill jack to come back."

"Promise me you will come back."

"I'll try to."

I cut off the comunication. I ran to the office. Jack was waiting for me in his chair.

"So we finally meet face to face, The notorious Bandit Matthew Shepherd."

"I may be a Bandit but your a Dictator. You've Slaughterd thousands for what? not everyone on pandora is a crook,or a murderor. They're people wanting to try colony life. You've killed innocent lives."

"No one's innocent, You've killed as many people as me."

"I've never took a civilian's life. That's what separates you from me."

"Being soft...gets you killed."

Jack launched at me, he was stronger than expected. he was using tech to boost his physical capabilitys in the end of this struggle. he was down and I had a revolver to his head.

"It's over Jack."

"I guess it is."

I didn't give him a chance to say another word. I shot him point blank but his head sparked with electricity.

"It's a robot!!!"

"That's right Kiddo. I'm not him, you like my robot?"

"You Fucking coward, face me."

"WARNING SELF DESTRUCTION ACTIVATED LOCKING ALL FAST TRAVEL HUBS, SELF DESTRUCTION IN TWO MINUTES!!!"
"Checkmate."

"You bastard."

"See ya kiddo."

"Rachel is there a way out?"

"I'm sorry Matthew, There is no way out of this room other that the fast travel and there is no power. I'll try to get power but It's unlikely."

"I see."

I put rachel in the computer and prepared to say my possibly last farewell.

"It's me, Larisa can you hear me?"

"Yeah where are you?"

"In the office I can't leave. the base is in self destruct count down. I can't leave. no matter what."

"What are you saying?"

"I'm saying this is goodbye Larisa."

"SELF DESTRUCT IN ONE MINUTE"


"We'll find a way, We'll..."

"It's too late, I love you Larisa..."

"I love...you too."

"SELF DESTRUCT IN TEN...NIN...EIGHT..."

"It's been fun, I'll always love you Matthew."

"I love you to, promise me you'll stop jack."

"we will. Matthew."

"Good bye My love."

"SELF DESTRUCT IN THREE...TWO...ONE...ZERO"

In my last moment all I can say is...

"I'm sorry Larisa..."

"Matthew...MATTHEW!!!"

"he's gone Larisa."

"NOOOO!!! ,he promised he'd come back to me."

"I know Larisa, I know."

"Matthew died trying to stop Jack, we'll do his dying wish. We will kill Jack."

"How can I go on without him?"

"You keep going for him,he would want you to keep going for him."

"I guess your right."

"That bastard will pay, he's somewhere and we will kill him."

"Jack...You will answer for this, one day you'll be beging us for mercy. I promise you that Matthew. In your name I promise you he'll pay."

So ends this Tale of one mans story of trying to stop Handsome Jack. The tale of one of the greatest hero's is passed down on pandora. he may not have completed his mission but he faced death without fear, he over came his demons and faced death like a hero. In his teary end he had saved his friends and left hope on Pandora, he kept the strongest of the lance alive, with there help 3 years later 4 new Vault hunters apeared and with the lance stopped Jack and ended hyperion. His legacy is he helped The raiders survive and Provide a sad yet insprational tale of fighting and dying for the right cause.



© Copyright 2015 Gameguy (n7warrior09 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2049214-The-Bandit-and-The-Dictator-complete