*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2049903-Entry-of-the-Pocket-Watch-21-July-2015
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2049903
This pocket watch of old hath traveled a distance.
         The pocket watch was fresh, the oil still fragrant on the internal wheels. It wasn't quite an expensive one, but it still cost a few weeks' pay. Almost cliche lackadaisical lines swirled on the silver cover. On the back was a birthmark: C.W: Clark Williams. After being birthed and set among other various styled watches on a viewing panel in a glass covered display case, a man purchased this watch. He sported his Sunday best dress. This consisted of a brown suit and matching pants. His shoes were pristine, but they were soiled by rain when he took the watch home. Mr. Raymond Wotham, of Derry Pennsylvania and buyer of this watch, thought he might impress his friends and coworkers. Sure, he couldn't afford the high end watch, but this would prevent them from thinking he was poor. His wife chided him about foolishly spending the money they needed for food and clothing for their coming son. Still, she thought it was a pleasant watch.
         Three days later and Mr. Raymond Wotham heard over the radio about Pearl Harbor being bombed. He immediately walked to the recruiting station and stood in line with a dozen other men from his town. They admired and commented on his new watch. Mr. Raymond Wotham, rather than fight the Japanese, was sent to Africa. He was lost during a patrol around Kasserine. This is what the one year old watch heard when Mrs. Raymond Wotham cried in the doorway upon receiving a telegram.
         When Mrs. Raymond Wotham brought her newborn son home, she let him play with the pocket watch. The oil was no longer easily detectable, and the watch was mature, able to keep track of the young human child. This young child grew with the watch (while the watch remained the same in size and composition, the child became taller and capable of much more than telling time). Mr. Jamison Wotham was told about his father while he toyed with the watch's latch. Mr. Jamison Wotham became a banker in New York, able to afford extremely extravagant watches.
          The pocket watch was detained in Mr. Jamison Wotham's bureau, grounded for five years. In an attempt to quiet his daughter Elizabeth, the pocket watch was freed. The now thirty eight year old pocket watch kept young Elizabeth entertained. In his will, upon Mr. Jamison Wotham's death, he gave the pocket watch to Elizabeth. Elizabeth, a single mom living in Salt Lake City, now uses this antique pocket watch in the same way it has been used in her family, not as a time teller, but as a way to keep the young ones satisfied. In a way, perhaps, it is time keeping. With the infants occupied by cliche, but fancy, designs, the adults are able to do what they need to in life.
          The pocket watch was fresh, once. The oil was still fragrant on the internal wheels.

Word count: 486
© Copyright 2015 Nickolai Bolinski (buccimister at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2049903-Entry-of-the-Pocket-Watch-21-July-2015