*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2050096-July-Reviews-2015
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Review · Reviewing · #2050096
5 books read and reviewed during July
July Book Reviews


1. The Murder of King Tut by James Patterson & Martin Dugard “A Nonfiction Thiller” (a library eBook from Overdrive) { I used a direct quote from the cover of the eBook in which the word Thiller probably should be Thriller}

In the author’s note for this story Patterson says, “RESEARCH HELPS,” “ I don’t think I’ve ever done more research for a book.”

The book is based on an archeological find by Howard Carter. Points about Carter’s life are documented and the story reads much like a fiction mystery but is actually based on historical facts. ‘

It is a murder mystery and a love story. “Did you know that Tut married his sister?” And, it is a story about a man who spent his life searching for treasures in the desert of Egypt.

It is also a story documenting Patterson’s inspirational idea to write about King Tut. His relationship with his editor is inspiring. As Patterson writes he becomes enmeshed mentally with his characters. He moves between stories and writes more than one at a time moving his characters according to their personalities and actions.

Because of innovative forensics, history is encouraging just this kind of research into the life and death of real people.

2. The Casual Killer ( Frank McKenzie Novel I ) by Luis Samways

Sometimes you find a story that is just bloody. And, this is one of those. It starts with murder and ends with more murder.

Recently, with the revealing of Isle (Isis), the thought processes of young people are coming under investigation. Many of us are wondering, “What are they thinking?” So the political leap of a madman in this story is not a surprise.

Frank McKenzie is a detective with his own story, that he is not able to escape from, as he is put in the position of solving this situation. He has to endure criticism from fellow officers when he reenters the work force, “ What’s the matter Frank?”” the officer smiles.

There are other stories out there that wreak havoc with society when they try out their own theories of how to fix political problems. “The signs of struggle are evident everywhere.”

The twist at the end might lead the reader to say, “who would've thought it.”

3. MY YEAR of the RACEHORSE By Kevin Chong (a library eBook from Overdrive)

From the Author’s Note: “While this book in nonfiction, I took some creative license by conflating, making into composite characters, and changing names and distinguishing characteristics of friends and acquaintances.”

Reading this story gives a person a reality look of the Sport of Kings. The writer interviews a gambler at the track, “Why do you keep coming back?” I ask. He shrugs, “Every day is new.” There is a lot in the story about para-mutual betting.

Chong’s parent wonders why he has to buy a racehorse in order to write this story? “As far back as I can remember, I always never wanted to own a racehorse.” Then, as well, both the good and bad sides of a horse’s life on the race track is examined.

The story wanders around inside the writer’s life as well as, inside the life of a horse trainer, life at the track and the life of his friends and family.

Most of all racing involves not just the people, but, the life style of an animal. How those horses are handled and how the trainers, grooms,riders, and horses, survive in their day to day lifestyle.

4. A Darkness More Than Night by Michael Connelly (A library eBook from Overdrive)

I can’t help but include at the beginning of this review the Copyright © 2002 Hieronymus, Inc.

The reader will find a lot of police speak or detective speak in this story. It sets the scene and makes the mood.

In the prologue you find this, “You again.” Bosch nodded. “Yeah, Me.” “Our little dance.” And, so, two characters from the story come together so the author can mess with the readers mind.

Profiling takes organization and the story introduces how one detective organizes his profile as he looks into the murder.

As the story goes, it throws suspicion on unusual suspects and finds clues in unusual places. There is more than one murder going on and a major trial that unfolds with interesting witnesses.

If you don’t like suspense, serial killer stories, and murder detective nuance don’t read this. If you are looking for detective entertainment, enjoy.

5. Against Medical Advice by James Patterson & Hal Friedman (an audio library book from Overdrive)

This is a true story, read as if being told by Hal Friedman’s son Corey. Corey’s story lasts from about age 5 to age 17.

The physical problems started at age 5 with head twitches and progressed as his parents took him to medical professionals. Who prescribed many different drugs, The drugs caused weight gain and addiction as his body struggles with normal growth into adolescents .

Corey was in and out of special schools and medical treatment facilities. He was on many different medications and was diagnosed with terets syndrome, OCD, depression, and anxiety. The psychological problems caused by the diagnose and years of struggle with symptoms and drugs, caused Corey to turn to cigarettes and alcohol as a release, which only increased the problem.

At the end, “I have to allow for the possibility that something has really changed,” Corey finds the path that will pull him out of the nightmare and release him into an easier path to lifelong progress.









© Copyright 2015 Apondia (judithd at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2050096-July-Reviews-2015