*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2050434-The-Interview
Rated: E · Fiction · Death · #2050434
A man has been called in for questioning.
Michael sat at the well-worn brown wooden table and contemplated the questions that he may be asked. He looked at his hands and memories flashed through his mind thinking about all the bad things he had done with them. He pictured his rough hands and thick fingers holding objects that were used in an unsavoury manner. Flashes of red would appear on his hands as the scenes played out in his mind.

I don't have anything to worry about he thought. I'm sure the police don't know anything. All they told me was that they were carrying out routine checks and that they were asking all the males in the surrounding area for a DNA sample to help with their enquiries. The dull ache in his right leg started to niggle him again and as such it had brought him out of his trance and back to the present.

He looked around the room and sighed as he wondered how much longer the police were going to keep him waiting. His bottom was starting to feel numb from sitting in the grey formica chair for too long so he decided to stretch his legs. The chair scraped the floor as he slid it back and rose to his feet. He looked around the bare white room and glanced up at the ceiling, the bright light causing him to screw his face up. He walked a few steps to the water cooler in the room and helped himself to a cup. The cool clear liquid quenched his dry mouth.

Michael stood lost in his thoughts when the room door opened and two detectives he met earlier entered. He turned and forced a smile at them as the heavy set detective motioned him to take a seat. "Have a seat Mr Mortram, thank you for waiting." Michael took his place on the opposite side of the table from the two men and set his cup of water on the table. The tall thin detective placed a manila file on the table and opened it.

Michael could feel the heat rise from the small of his back climbing all the way to the top of his head as the picture of the young red head woman was shown to him. Michael fought within himself to maintain his cool composure. Micheal shifted uncomfortably in his seat.

"So Michael, We are currently questioning all the local men in connection with the disappearance of this young woman. Could you tell us your whereabouts on the night of 11 April 2014?" Keeping his voice steady and calm he told the detectives that he was doing nightshift at a local nursing home. Inside his mind he played out the evening in question. Sure I was at work but what the police don't know was that I left the building for an hour or so. Being in charge had its perks.

"Your place of employment can verify this Mr Mortram?" Michael nodded. "Yes we have swipe cards which log our clock ins and clock outs." "I see....Would you supply us with a DNA sample? Michael could feel his body tense up at the question and fought hard to keep his nerves in check.

His mind drifted back to that night as his leg throbbed once more helping him to remember the scratch he got on his leg dragging the body through the fence. "Mr Mortram, the DNA..." Michael zoned back into the present. "Yes I can give you a sample" he whispered.


© Copyright 2015 Nasreen Chaudhary (mamacitanaz at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2050434-The-Interview