*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2051589-Seer
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2051589
Contest entry. Training of the Village Seer. Critiques welcome.
The ancients had foretold of the day when the seer would be born and would lead the Community to enlightenment. The mother would be of ordinary birth, but the sire would be of profound prophetic power. That was the story handed down. Yet no one was prepared when the birth happened, save one. The sire paid his tribute to the mother with only one request, that he be allowed to name his daughter and that she will be called Morning Star. Many were horrified by such a name. Some were confused. One was enlightened. She knew the prophecy was being fulfilled. The mother honored the request.

As time passed, the Villagers began to notice Morning Star’s gift and would seek her young self out for assistance in choices they faced. The sire was astute.

“You will provide for her so that she is in want of nothing.” This command that sprang from the lips of the sire and spread throughout the village. People brought what they could afford in offering and Morning Star would perform the ritual motions and chants as taught by her father.

When the prophecies given by Morning Star to the requester were realized, exclamations of the powers and graces of the little girl child soon spread far beyond the village. Many were drawn to the village, but only a few were accepted into the Community. Of these newcomers, Morning Star soon formed friendship bonds with seven of the children. The sire watched carefully. Her circle of friends would be limited to these seven.

Time passed quickly. By the time of the 6th full moon of Morning Star’s 12th summer, her skills as a prophetic seer had been firmly established. It was time.

“Child, it is time for your gradation lessons.”

Morning Star approached him with a power in her step that concerned him. Was he too late? “Come. We will go to the place of anointment.” On the way to the decaying brick building on the outskirts of the village, he explained, “The ancients have foretold your coming. These lessons may only be taught to a prophetic child on the Feast of Weeks. Have you prepared as directed?”

“Yes, Father. It is not too late, but the time is short.”

The sire nodded. He was proud that her powers were so strong that she could tell his concerns, his thoughts. He stood at the back of the “church” and pressed three bricks in sequence. The door opened to a cloud of dust and musty aroma. Morning Star attempted to proceed forward, but was restrained by her father’s arm barring her way. “Patience. That cry will tell you that it is not safe to enter.” When the last bat exited the church, they entered and made their way to the Place of the Divine Presence.

At the altar, he commanded Morning Star to prepare the marble table as she had been taught. As she did so, he retrieved the black lacquer box from the locked gold-encased wall safe where the stone guardians were chiseled to protect the content. He pulled the white porcelain cup from its housing to begin the lesson.

When he was sure Morning Star understood the lessons, the sire addressed the Most Powerful One: “Father, it is I, Apollo. Apollonia seeks the last of her powers. Tribute has been paid to the Vessel of Hope, her mother.” Morning Star’s controlled her curiosity. She knew father was referring to her, but she did not recognize the name given.

He spun the white porcelain cup to call for the powers of the spirit world. When the rotations ceased, the Morning Sun pushed the clouds and the birds outward to drift to Morning Star. She inhaled the power deep into her spirit.

Each inhalation brought with it a new gift for her to use to take her rightful place as the Village Seer.

The sire watched until the last gift was received. “Go now. You have much to do.”

Morning Star paused at the door to see her father prepare himself on the marble table. She watched as the Guardians of the Tabernacle animated to fold her father into ever smaller portions and push his essence into the cup. They held their hands over the cup as they transferred it back into the black lacquer box and returned it to the tabernacle.

The blue stone guardian turned her persona upon Morning Star and ratcheted out in cold harsh tones, “You will return in six years to retrieve the tribute. Instructions will be given to Clan Leader. You must follow the instructions and not reveal your knowledge. Then you will take your seat as Village Seer upon completion of the given task. Do you understand?”

Morning Star nodded. Even though the hurt her ears, she continued, “May I ask for clarification?”

The yellow stone guardian nodded to the other to return to her station. “Ask, but be quick, your time is short. You cannot be in this housing when you are on your moon.

Morning Star was quite confused, yet trusted that she would understand in due time. “I just want to know why my father would not give his name. Ever. And what you just did to him.”

This guardian tried to mellow her voice, but it still came out as a shrill shriek, “His name has power of its own. He would have weakened much too quickly if anyone called upon him. He chose to teach you and transfer his powers to you. Without the spirit, the shell that remains will decay. Upon his request, we disposed of his shell in accordance with the instructions we were given. It took all of his strength to teach you the arts and protections. This sacrifice was his last gift to you.”

“Is that why no one calls me by my true name? Is there power in my given name?”

“Yes, Apollonia. Go now, your time of transition will soon be upon you. You must be in your home at the time of Acceptance. Your mother is in need of your assistance.”

Morning Star took a step back, the guardian was resuming her natural position on the wall as Morning Star punched the stones in reverse sequence to allow the heavy door to close again. She turned and took flight to make it to her home before the last curfew was called.





[Word Count: 1,067]
© Copyright 2015 Cheri Annemos (cheri55422 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2051589-Seer