*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2051657-The-Devils-Empire-Chapter-3
Rated: 18+ · Chapter · Fantasy · #2051657
Maurice finally makes his decision.
Maurice

The King walked through the open double doors and past the guards into the open room, filled with nothing but a round hickory wood table. As everyone bowed and said their formalities Maurice counted only five advisors. “Where are the other three?” The King asked displeased.

“Pardon me my King, but since we are enjoying times of peace some lords of the roundtable are back at their castles, enjoying their families while they can.” Tolus apologized.

“Right, because there is no ruling to be done unless we are fighting a war, no?” Maurice roared as he took his place at the table. He knew better than to expect an answer, no one was brave enough to risk saying something that could upset him more. “Where is the damn wine?” He knew the only way to cure the ache in his head was to drink the poison that caused it.

The men took their chair, everyone except Tolus whose eyes were fixed on the window. “I take it the Prime Master has informed you all about what we are to discuss today.” He said as the young servant filled his cup.

“Yes your Grace,” responded Sir Danton Elling from across the table, the finest sword in all Arizia and First Commander of the Kingsmen. The King turned his gaze to him and found him sitting uncomfortably in the black metal armor of the Kingsmen. His expression set hard and focused under his graying hair, which barely grazed his forehead. An ugly scar stamped across his right cheek, one of many throughout his body. “And we have already begun to discuss it as well.” He finished.

“On with it then. What are your thoughts?” Maurice asked.

“My King,” Lord Louie Hilforth began through his perfectly trimmed orange beard. He was a bright young man from the northern lands of Arizia. His father had been First Treasurer for many years, and it was he who recommended Lord Louie for the position. If it were any other position Maurice might have declined, but the Hilforths were the wealthiest house in Arizia, so their economic support was necessary. “While I wish it were different, I have grave worries about the economic impact the reformation of the city would cause for the kingdom.” Louie finished.

“What sort of impact Lord Hilforth?” Maurice asked with impatience. He wished, just for once, that these people would actually speak their thoughts instead of hiding behind false courtesy.

“I fear that, in the worst of cases of course, another decade of unreciprocated support for this city could lead the kingdom to bankruptcy, your Grace.” Lord Louie admitted.

“Be serious boy,” Sir Danton snapped. “I have known this Kingdoms’ coin to last through many a great wars, many lasting longer than ten years. How can one city ruin such a wealthy realm?” Sir Danton was the oldest man at the table. He had been a Kingsmen to Maurice’s father, and has fought and won more wars than any living knight, a fact he often mentioned.

“Like you said First Commander, this country has seen many wars, particularly in recent memory, and wars tend to be quite expensive.” Lord Hilforth responded with a touch of arrogance in his tone. “Besides, building a city from the ground up requires a great amount of coin. Grand structures must be built, such as a church and a government palace, structures which require expensive decorations as well…”

“Yes Hilforth, coin is needed to build a city. No man knows this better than I do,” interrupted Lord Kevan Joiren, First Chancellor of Arizia. His baldhead reflected the sun’s light, and his bushy brown mustache wiggled as he spoke. The position of First Chancellor had been a new addition to the roundtable at the beginning of Maurice’s reign, when colonization began. The First Chancellor has overseen the founding and building of every city in Nu-Arizia. His role has been to present the Chancellor’s interest to the King, and the King’s orders to the many Chancellors of the New Lands. But colonies demand a great deal of upfront investments, and as a result Lord Hilforth and Lord Joiren have spent most roundtable meetings bickering like small children. “But we’ve been given a second chance to build the greatest colonial city in history, and I am confident we can get it right this time.” Lord Joiren continued as he turned to Lord Hilforth.

“It shames me to admit, but I must agree with Lord Joiren, your Grace,” First Patre Lucien interceded. His blonde hair brushed back over his head as his green eyes focused on Lord Joiren almost as if he were expecting gratitude from the man. Maurice hated Lucien’s arrogance towards Kevan. True, he was of less social stature than the rest of the roundtable, but he was chosen for his architectural expertise, not his wealth. “It is well known that at one time or another every Empire must fall, and when they inevitably do so, the world remembers them solely for what they leave behind.”

He was right. As much as he hated to admit it, Lucien was right. Maurice had yet to do anything that could compare to the achievements of previous king’s of Arizia. If he wanted his rule remembered he had to rebuild Zaphirose and establish Arizia as the dominant colonial power.

“Very impressive, Patre. Though a little ambitious for a man whose only concern is with The God, don’t you think?” Lord Hilforth joked with a smug grin on his face.

“On the contrary, my Lord,” Lucien replied. “Who better to advise a king than a man who has no motives other than those of The God?”

“If only there were such a man,” replied Lord Louie with a laugh.
They were getting nowhere, and Maurice’s patience was dwindling. “Lord Hilforth, why don’t you explain to our King the possible economic benefits of this city?” Lord Joiren said interrupting their quarrel.

“Now Lord Joiren, why should we waste time on such an improbable outcome?” Lord Hilforth replied, his eyes glued to Lord Joiren’s dark eyes.

“Improbable outcome you say?” Kevan replied. “Seems to me you lack faith not only on myself, but in your King and the Lord Prime Master as well, Lord Hilforth.”

“On the contrar---“

“Enough!” Maurice slammed his fist hard on the table, startling every one of his advisors, save Tolus. “I’ve a million things today, and if you bloody fools continue to waste my time arguing with each other like petty little girls I will be forced to make this decision on my own. And if I make this decision on my own, it will mean that I no longer have need for a roundtable. And if I no longer have need for a roundtable, I will cut your heads from your bodies and send them to your families as a gift for all the useless services you have provided to the realm. Have I made myself clear? Or do you imbeciles need a demonstration?” Maurice released the tension on his rolled up fingers and reclined back on his chair. He had no patience for petty games, especially not today.

The room fell silent. Neither Lord Hilforth nor Lord Joiren dared speak first. Even Patre Lucien, seated to his left was unable to speak. It had been a long time; years even, since the King had lost his temper this way. Maurice has always had a terrible wrath in him, but for the most part he controlled it well and released it solely on those closest to him. But the King worried about his decision, and he hoped that coming to the roundtable would ease his mind. A foolish thought.

“Lord Hilforth you’ve told us the risk of failure,” Tolus responded in a soothing tone, breaking the silence, “why don’t you share with us the possible outcome should the colony be successful?” The advisors looked up in wonder before turning back to the King to study his reaction. Maurice tried hard to suppress the smile rising on his lips. The King liked having Tolus at these meetings. He seldom spoke much, after all he and Maurice had their private meetings nearly every day, but Tolus knew just how to deal with the rest of the Lords of the Roundtable, and knew just when to intercede.

“Yes, Prime Master,” Lord Louie responded with a tremble in his voice. His brows dipped towards his nose as he gathered his thoughts.

“No.” Maurice stated, surprising even the Prime Master. His thumb was tucked under his chin as his first and second finger lightly brushed on his lips. “In truth I’ve made my decision on this matter last night after speaking with the Queen.” The King admitted. The roundtable focused their gazes on the King as Tolus turned his body to face him, his eyes locked with the King’s. Maurice did not say a word. He tilted his head ever so slightly and gave Tolus a knowing look. Tolus responded by bowing his head in reverence as a soft smile curved on his face.

By now the rest of the roundtable could sense his decision as well. “I’m afraid I must insist my King,” began Lord Hilforth.

“You will do no such thing,” snapped Maurice, interrupting Lord Louie. “It is the King’s job to decide where to spend the Kingdom’s coin. And it is the First Treasurer’s job to figure out how to get said coin.”

“Forgive me, your Grace,” said Louie as he bowed his head respectfully.

“Personally I think this a wonderful decision, your Grace,” Lucien said with confidence. Maurice despised Lucien. He’d only agreed to name him First Patre so he could marry Letitzia. She had no idea the kind of monster her brother was, but Maurice never had a heart to tell her.

“I am glad to have your ever so wise approval, Lucien,” Maurice responded, dismissing the comment.

“The possibility to grow the Faith in the colonies is made much greater by the establishment of a well-built and supported church, your Grace.” Lucien insisted with a smirk. The King hated the way Lucien hid his true intentions behind his Faith. It was a grave disrespect to The God and not to mention to his wife, who truly believed Lucien to be a man of faith.

“That is not the decision I’m troubled with, my Lords.” The King stated, ignoring Lucien. Maurice knew the colony would be a success, even more so under Tolus’ wisdom. But he could not convince Leti of agreeing to send one of the children to the colony, no matter how much he tried.

“Tolus are you sure there is no other way?” The King asked.

“I am afraid I cannot think of a better way your Majesty. Sending one of your royal children is the strongest message you could possibly establish.” Tolus explained as he walked took his seat to the right of the King.

“But my children are royalty,” Maurice protested. “They all have duties they must fulfill, and they cannot be achieved in some far off land.”

“Your Grace,” Tolus began. “If this city is truly to be the perfect representation of Arizian power it requires an equally perfect leader. A royal member in the city would bring hope of a better future. And what is a leader if not a dealer of hope? Lord Borelis can manage the every day work as Chancellor, but your child could become the first official royal ruler of any colony that has ever existed.”

“A royal ruler?” Sir Danton asked with doubt. “As in another King? Won’t that just make the colony and entirely separate kingdom?”

“No First Commander, not another King. A Ruling Prince, like the times of the great Arriagan Empire before us.” Tolus responded.

A ruling prince, with more power than a chancellor but less than a king, who could work as a link between the two. What better way to represent the royal interests? But only an Arizian prince could hold such a position. Perhaps Letitzia will understand some day.

“I must say my King, that I find this to be a marvelous idea,” Lord Joiren said in support. “Prince Darien has a clear role here, but one of the younger three could be given a chance to rule they wouldn’t otherwise have, your Grace.”

“Not Prince Maritzio obviously,” Sir Danton snorted. “I mean no offense my King, but the child can scarcely read. Besides, I have not seen such a capable sword since Sir Leighton the Strong. I imagine the boy will be ready for knighthood within three years, and the Kingsmen in six, your Grace.” Sir Danton finished.

“Kingsmen at sixteen Sir Danton?” Lord Hilforth asked with suspicion. “That would make him the youngest knight ever named to such an honor by over two years. Seems gravely improbable.”

“Perhaps Lord Hilforth, but if you’re suspicious of the boy’s abilities I invite you to ride down from your pretty castle and into the training pits so you can spare with him yourself,” Sir Danton taunted. In his mind all problems in the world could be solved by two men hitting each other with sticks. Oddly Maurice admired that about him. “I promise my King,” he said turning to Maurice. “The boy will one day make the finest Kingsmen there ever was.”

“Not Maritzio then,” The King responded. Maurice had always wanted a valiant son. Every King at one time or another prays for a son who will one day lead a battlefield in his name, but so few are ever blessed enough.

“Well it can’t be Prince Enas,” Lucien protested. “I’ve already began mentoring him in The One God’s Faith, on my sister’s orders. A few years from now he’s to travel east to Sargoza and join the holiest institution known to man.”

“That’s precisely why Prince Enas could prove invaluable for the colony, Patre Lucien,” Lord Joiren began. “The church to be built there will be the largest and most impressive of all the colonies. Prince Enas could certainly head such an institution, your Grace.”

“Only he will cease being Prince Enas the moment he becomes a Patre of The Faith, Lord Joiren.” Lucien responded with a smirk. “A man of the Faith can have no royal titles, I’m afraid.”

“I could never stand between a man and The Faith, my Lords, not even my own son,” Maurice replied. Letitzia would never allow such a thing.

“The Princess then,” Lord Joiren suggested.

Little Addie. “No.” the King stated as he waved his hand and adjusted his body, dismissing the thought. “I could never send the Princess to the other end of the world. The poor child is still afraid of the dark.” Maurice continued. If only I had just one more child.

“One can easily forgive a child who is frightened by the dark, your Grace,” Tolus began. “But the real tragedy is when men are frightened by the light. This colony has the potential to be the most profitable and respected of all, but not without some upfront investments.”

“I’ve never known you to be such a poet, Lord Solientell,” Lord Hilforth responded with arrogance.
“Though it’s such a shame those pretty words have such little meaning,” Lord Hilforth continued with dismissal. “Princess Adelainne has all but been promised to Prince Enrico of Dalis.”

“Tis true Tolus, I signed and sealed the final letter this morning, it’s probably been sent by now,” Maurice added.

“Perhaps your Grace, but in truth the Dali offend us with this arrangement,” Tolus responded.

“Prince Enrico is only the second born son of King Andris. The Crown Prince Greco has already been promised to a noble Dali woman. The Princess of Roses deserves to rule, not be married to a second son with no true power,” Tolus continued. “Besides, I’ve spent a great deal of time with the Princess and even at her young age I doubt there is anyone more capable in representing you.”

“We cannot afford to anger the Dali, Lord Solientell,” Lord Hilforth expressed. “If a war with Bryon breaks out once again we are going to need their support, it’s too grave a risk.”

“I understand such concerns, Lord Hilforth,” Tolus responded. “But we’ve no need to fear Bryon. Our King’s father, may he rest in peace, nearly destroyed their kingdom after the previous war. Now, a boy of twelve sits on its throne. There will be no more wars with Bryon, not for some time.”

“Only the dead have seen the end of war, Lord Solientell,” Lord Hilforth responded. “If war does not come from the north it may still come from the south. The Dali are proud people your Grace, they will not take well to a broken pact.”

“I do not fear the Dali Lord Hilforth,” Maurice responded with pride. “An alliance with them might ease us in a war, but we do not need it. Arizia is the greatest Empire since Arriaga. We can defeat both the Bryoneesse and the Dali armies.”

“Yes, your Grace, but not both at once,” Lord Hilforth responded. “If we anger the Dali what is to stop them from aligning themselves with Bryon? Even with my family’s backing the crown simply does not have the coin to finance such a war and maintain an unstable colony.”

“Yet another reason why Lord Borelis is such a magnificent choice for chancellor,” Lord Joiren interceded. “He’s the richest man in all the lands, even more so than yourself Lord Hilforth.”

“That might be true, Lord Joiren, but unless we’re to make a new rule which allows us to control the coin of our subjects then I’m afraid Lord Borelis is no help in this matter. He became the richest man by making sound investments, and a war is never a good investment. So tell me Lord Joiren, how are we to force Borelis to give us his gold?”

“By marrying him to the Princess,” Tolus replied as his eyes as widened with excitement. He looked like a child who’d finally figured out a riddle. “If Borelis weds Princess Adelainne then he will owe your Majesty a great debt. One we can collect should war ever come our way,” he finished, focused on the King.

Is he insane? If a second born prince were not fit to marry Addie why would Maurice allow her to marry a lowly merchant? “Tolus, are you truly suggesting I marry one of only two remaining Princesses in all the world to a merchant form the colonies?”

“The De Viellis were once a great noble house, your Grace,” Tolus replied. “And Borelis himself has brought honor to its name once more.” Perhaps Tolus was right. Addie could do much worse than the richest man alive, and it would solve all of Maurice’s problems. But Letitzia would never allow it. Not to mention the trouble this could cause for the King if Dalis aligned with Bryon.

“I’ve got to admit, your Grace,” Lucien began. “When I first heard of this I did not like it much myself, and surely my sister will never back such a thing. But the more I thought about it the better it seemed. Lord Borelis seems to be a kind man, my King. In fact, year after year he has been The Faith’s largest donor.” That would certainly please the Queen. Perhaps he could reason with her on the matter.

“Can it be?” Lord Hilforth said in amusement. “This could very well be the first time the Patre and I agree on any matter. Glad to see you’re finally right about something, Lucien,” He joked.

“It must be all the time I’ve spent in your presence, Lord Hilforth,” Lucien responded with a smirk.

“Must be,” Lord Hilforth replied before turning to the King. “What ever the De Viellis were before, it has ended with Borelis, your Grace. The man came from nothing but a title that was used with him as a formality more than anything, and now there are few men in the world with more influence than Borelis De Vielli,” Lord Hilforth said. “ At the very least he is much wealthier than Prince Enrico, your Grace,” he joked.

He’s right. Borelis would certainly be a much better ally than King Andris. And if what Lord Hilforth fears is an alliance between Dalis and Bryon then Maurice need only arrange an alliance with Bryon himself. It wouldn’t be easy, but Tolus could certainly handle such a task. Perhaps the Boy King’s little sister could marry once of Maurice’s sons. But what if the deal can’t be bargained? Maurice himself killed they boy’s father during the battle, surely the King of Bryon resents him deeply. And Zaphirose is such a dangerous city. Could Addie ever be safe in such a place? “What about the savages in the west, my Lords? How can I send my daughter to a place where masked men run through the streets at night kidnapping anyone in sight? The second she steps foot in the city she’ll become the biggest target for any man who ever wishes to harm our kingdom.”

“My King,” Sir Danton began. “You should never fear for your family’s safety. The Kingsmen are the best fighters in all the lands. If your daughter goes to the colony, I will personally arrange a guard for her from among my best men. One that will protect her with their own lives if need be.” Maurice had always felt safe with Sir Danton. And many of the Kingsmen have witnessed the children grow; surely they cared for them deeply. “I would also like to send more fighting men to join the military of the city, your Grace. These savages shame us. Our exemplary city should be impenetrable, yet the wild men run through its streets freely. I’d like to end that, my King.”

“Very well, Sir Danton,” Maurice replied. “As soon as the roundtable is over I want you to arrange a party that will protect the city from the savages. But I’ve still got mixed thoughts about my daughter.”

“My King,” Tolus began. “It seems to me that Princess Adelainne will play one of two roles for the realm. First, she could marry Prince Enrico, which would guarantee us an alliance with Dalis, but would mean that none of your children will partake in the leadership of the colony. And on the other hand, she can marry Borelis. This would guarantee you royal oversight of the colony, and with Borelis’ coin it would also guarantee the safety you seek. Not to mention Princess Adelainne would become one of the most powerful women to ever roam the earth. I think it is clearly our best choice, your Grace.”

“Yes, Lord Borelis is very rich. But is he a good man, my Lords?” Maurice said, he knew it would be easier to explain to Letitizia if he could assure the well being of their daughter. “Princess Adelainne is a little girl, even in two years time when she would wed she’d still be little more than a child. And I fear the De Vielli demons could run in the Lord Chancellor. It is one thing to trust him
with a city, but another thing entirely to trust him with my daughter.”

“I’ve met Borelis a few times on my trips to the colonies, your Grace, and I’ve also heard a great deal of him,” Lord Joiren began. “I can assure you his family’s demons have no part in him. Sure he smokes a great deal, but that is considered a delicacy in the New Lands, your Grace. The man has made countless coin on his trade, it only seems logically he enjoys his products,” Lord Joiren explained.

“And even then Borelis would stop smoking in an instant if the Princess wished it so, my King,” Tolus added. “I too met Borelis once, and have exchanged many letters with the man. You could read them, your Grace, if it would ease your mind. But I have seen Princess Adelainne grow up before my eyes; I’ve mentored her myself in subjects where she’s grown past her matre’s abilities, and she is the closest thing to a daughter I will ever have,” Tolus explained. “I could never marry her to a man who would hurt her, your Grace.”

Maurice knew that. He has always known Tolus loves the children. In truth, he was entirely convinced that Addie would be much better off marrying Borelis than the Dali Prince, and it would certainly be more beneficial to Maurice. If only he could make Letitzia understand. But she was a woman. And women had no heart for these difficult decisions, even the ones as wise as the Queen. Yet another reason why Addie was the best choice. She would never be able to defy him. Maurice knew he’d have full control of her, as opposed to one of his sons who could grow ambitious and take the colony for himself.

“My Lords,” Maurice began as he sat up on his chair and placed his elbows on the table. “Make all necessary arrangements. As soon as Zaphirose is properly established Lord Borelis will come to the capital and marry Princess Adelainne. They are to marry under the Eye of The God at the great church of Arizia, and their wedding will be treated as a royal wedding.” He instructed before turning to Tolus. “Prime Master, make a draft of all the papers necessary so I may sign them.”

“Yes my King,” Tolus responded with joy. “And I swear to you, by The Eye of The God, I will make this city great and bring honor to your house.”

“May The Eye of God bless us on this difficult journey to come,” Lucien prayed, concluding the roundtable meeting.
© Copyright 2015 AuthorS (authorm at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2051657-The-Devils-Empire-Chapter-3