*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2051786-Symphonic-Silence
Rated: E · Chapter · Romance/Love · #2051786
A classic tale of love and the general hardships of awkward teens!
         There are a lot of firsts in a person's life, like a first kiss, or the first time you ride without the training wheels on your bike. Some firsts are hard, like your first breakup, or your first job interview. Other firsts are easier than most people think, like your kindergarten graduation. Overall, one of the worst firsts that anyone can experience, in my opinion, is the first day as a new kid in a new school. That was the hell I was about to be put through here, on my very first day of junior year. Here being this suburbian hell, Fairview, Minnesota.

         Just a week ago, I had been lounging in a coffee shop in Seattle, jamming to some alternative rock band that I had promised that I would write down, but never got around to it. The air had reeked of cigar smoke and a deep, musty smell from the ancient wood holding the building together. An Irish Coffee had sat on the table in front of me, already half drank and growing cooler by the minute. Every time someone entered the small cafĂ©, a cold breeze would flood the shop. Despite it being September, Jack Frost already had the town in his clutches.

         Now, I'm standing in front of my brand new mirror in my new room in this new and unfamiliar suburb. It's the same old me, though. Same red hair, same blue-green eyes, those annoying freckles... Nothing about me had changed. The universe simply shifted around me, throwing my personal equilibrium off like a top on a bumpy surface.

         A sudden knock came from my door, making me jump in surprise. "Henry? Are you ready for school?" asks the sickeningly sweet voice of my foster mom, Heidi Allstrum.

         "Yeah, just give me a minute," I reply rather harshly, snatching up my knapsack's drawstrings. Pushing the heavy oak door open revealed Heidi standing in her obviously-a-rich-person attire that made her look like a Barbie doll.

         "No need to be so mean, Henry! I'm just making my rounds," with that, she continued on to the next door, practically beating it down.

         From that room emerged my pint sized foster sister whom I had yet to learn the name of. Her hair was in knots and a scowl was on her face. "What?! Can't you see I was sleeping?!" The girl screamed, her face beet red with anger. Heidi gave her a once over before crossing her arms.

         "Chloe Margret Allstrum, get your ass ready for school! NOW!" Heidi screamed back in the smaller girl's face, making her squeal and duck back into her room to continue getting ready.

         Rather than waiting around to see the full extent of Heidi's fury, I bolted down the spiraling Grand staircase that led down to the front door. The crisp September air greeted me as I plugged my headphones in and started the trek to the high school. The leaves had already began to darken and drop to the sidewalks and streets, much quicker than they usually did in Seattle. A few plumes of red mixed with the vibrant yellows and golden oranges, standing out in sharp contrast against the cloudless blue sky. Fall Out Boy just seemed like the right band to be playing, their newest song pumping into the earbuds that had taken up a majority of my mind.

         Sleep still clung to the corners of my eyes, and the coffee shop that sat on the horizon looked positively intising... Just because I'm the bad boy doesn't mean that I'm not intellegent. The smell of coffee wafted from the door as the door swung open to reveal a quaint little abode. It honestly looked like something off of a Hipster's blog on Pinterest or Tumblr, depending on your bravery.

         "Good morning, dude! What can I get for you this fine day?" The guy behind the counter asked, efficiently getting my attention. He was at least a foot shorter than me, with pitch black dreadlocks down to the small of his back.

         "Give me an espresso, extra strong," I replied, still glacing around the shop with interest. The walls were lined with ancient photos, acoustic guitars, and random whatnots that gave the place a certain... pizazz.

         "Sure thing man, just take a seat at one of the tables and your caffinated bean water will be out shortly," he said with a smile as I handed him the money for the coffee. Nodding, I moved over to sit at one of the smaller booths in the far corner. I plugged my headphones back in, drumming my fingers along with the beat of the fast-paced song.

         A flash of blue and cream suddenly caught my attention, making me look up to the person who had stepped up to the counter. As if in a romantic movie, everything slowed down to a snail's pace. She was beautiful, with flowing dirty golden blonde hair, a full face, and a curvy body that kept my mind reeling like a rollar coaster. Her plump lips tilted up in a smile, her eyes, like green jewels twinkling in the autumn light, glanced over at me before going back to order her drink.

It was in that moment that I knew I was in love.
© Copyright 2015 J. Miller (violetbond at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2051786-Symphonic-Silence