*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2052722-Church-on-Campground
Rated: E · Short Story · Ghost · #2052722
True story of a haunted camp I worked at back in 2003
In the summer of 2003 I worked as the archery instructor for an all girls camp. I attended this camp as a girl and do not remember having any creepy feelings about the camp. This summer I had several creepy incidents that still give me goosebumps to this day. Upon first arriving and settling in at the camp I was drawn to the church that was on grounds. No one really knows why it was there, but rumors started to happen about why it was built. For me the rumors did nothing. I had the creepiest feeling about the church. I could never look at it especially not the windows. I don't know what I was afraid I would see, but I refuse to look at it even in broad daylight. This made work a bit hard since the nurse's office was located next to it and I had to pass by it at least 4 times a day while with the girls in their daily activities. I did my best to hide my discomfort with the building, but many of my co-workers and campers noticed.

I just passed this off as being creepy feeling and did not think of much else until I had one of the most vivid interactions I've ever had, that I still cannot explain it. One afternoon I was with our group of girls for their dance lesson. They were learning about interrupt dance and were given poems to make dance moves to. One group asked me to read the poem aloud so they could practice and see how it worked. Once I was finished I felt someone tap on my back. I turned around expecting another group wanting me to do the same as I had just done for the other group. When I turned around no one was behind me and I thought one of the girls was playing a game, but all of them were busy with their assignment. I shrugged it off and sat back down to watch their lesson.

Shortly after I sat down I felt a weight on my lap as if someone had sat on my lap. I had set nothing on my lap and there was no one was sitting on it. I wasn't sure what to do and I was afraid of moving too much. So in my mind I told the thing on my lap, that it may stay, but that it must leave when the girls lesson was over. I had planned on writing letters and reading during this time, but I was too afraid to, so I just sat there watching the dancing hoping the pressure on my lap would go away soon. I had the feeling that whatever was on my lap was a female in her teens. Why I had this feeling I cannot say.

Once the girls lesson was over I just sat there and let the other counselors get the girls in line and ready to go to the unit. I sat there for another few minutes hoping the thing would get off my lap. It finally did and I in my mind thanked it for letting me get back up and go with the girls and not scaring them.

I told my co-workers later of the experience and they were shocked by how calm I was during the whole experience. I still think about this experience.
© Copyright 2015 Fallen Murphy (fallenmuprhy at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2052722-Church-on-Campground