*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2052746-Revenge
Rated: E · Short Story · Contest Entry · #2052746
Written for Songs, Movies & More, Oh My! Prompt - Include idioms and metaphors
Revenge


Jimmy said goodbye to his old friend, and turned back to the disapproving eyes of his wife.

“I only said I’d think about it, Helen,” said Jimmy. “Don’t get on your high horse.

“Jimmy, the last time you thought about one of Mikey’s ideas, you ended up doing a three year stretch. He’s bad news. That man is off his rocker, you can’t trust him.” Helen’s voice was growing higher, becoming taught, like an elastic band stretched to its limits.

“Calm down, Helen,” said Jimmy, “You’re such a Doubting Thomas. We need the money and it’s time to pass on my skills to Jack. We shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth.

Jimmy walked through to his tired, old living room and sat in his brown leather recliner. Pouring himself a whisky, he contemplated his friend’s proposal. He had argued with his wife, in the heat of the moment, that it was a good idea. But if he was honest, his mate was dumb as spit, that’s how they were caught before. And his son, he loved him, but he was a loose cannon.

Jimmy knew his wife was right, but he truly believed the grass was always greener on the other side. In this case, the side of breaking and entering.

Helen sat opposite her husband, reading his thought process, knowing his decision before he did. “A penny for your thoughts,” she said. Jimmy looked up and Helen added, “You were away with the fairies then, Love.”

“I know. Sorry,” said Jimmy. “I’m going to meet with the gang, take Jack along too. Everything that happened in the past is water under the bridge. We’re starting from scratch. I’ll call Mikey later and arrange a meet.” Jimmy grinned at Helen and she sensed her husband wasn’t being strictly truthful.

Jack crawled out of his bed just after 11am; it had been another late night. Yawning, he slowly dressed and headed downstairs.

“Jack, we’re going on a job together,” said Jimmy, his eyes shining.

“What? No way, Dad. How did you manage that?”

Jimmy wasn’t sure whether his son was enthusiastic or not. His faraway eyes made it hard to tell. “Come on, Jack. It’ll be great. The old gang, with our brilliant new recruit.” Even as he said the words, he cringed internally. He studied the lanky, spotty youth in front of him. A picture paints a thousand words, he thought, as his son scratched and drank milk straight from the carton.

“Yeah, cool. I’m in,” said Jack, his voice still in monotone.

“Right. Good. The meeting is tonight, we’ll go to Pinky’s Bar at 10pm.” Jimmy sighed as he watched his son drinking. I really hope you can’t judge a book by its cover, he thought.

When the time came to leave, Jimmy called to his son, but received no answer. “He went out an hour ago,” said Helen.

“No! I need him with me, I can’t do this on my own. Once in a blue moon, I ask that kid for help. I thought we were singing from the same hymn sheet.”

“Oh, Jimmy, you should know not to put all your eggs in one basket. Especially where Jack’s concerned,” said Helen.

But their conversation was interrupted by the front door banging open and their son bursting in. “It’s raining cats and dogs out there!” said Jack, shaking off the water like a dog. “Ready to go, Dad?”

“Yes, I’m ready, Son.” Jimmy beamed and they walked to his car.

“Aren’t you a bit long in the tooth for this, Dad?” said Jack as they pulled out of the drive.

“Yes, I am. Which is why I need your help. Now, listen. This is really important, okay? You have to pay attention.”

“Okay, Dad. Chill out. I’m listening.”

“Right. Our friend Mikey is going to get a very rude awakening. He made me a scapegoat for that last burglary. I ended up serving three years for his crime. Now it’s payback time.”

At last, Jack sat up straight and gave his full attention to his father. “Woah, Dad, that’s heavy.”

Jimmy chuckled and said, “Yes, Jack. It’s heavy. I’m going to give that man a taste of his own medicine. Now, all Mikey’s attention is gonna be on you. He’ll want to make sure you can cut the mustard. You need to step up and convince him you’re serious.”

“Okay, Dad. I can do that.” Jimmy noticed how animated his son had become. He couldn’t remember the last time he’d seen him like this.

“You have you phone with you, don’t you, Jack?”

“Of course. Always.”

“Good. I need you to set the voice recorder on it, so we can record all of Mikey’s plans. He might even open up to you about his past activities. You must stay on the ball and draw it out of him. We’ll get him, Son, come hell or high-water. That stint I did inside, it was the last straw.”

“So you’re going to snitch on him to the police?” said Jack.

“I am, Jack. I have a very large axe to grind here.”

Mikey and the rest of the gang were already waiting at Pinky’s when Jimmy and Jack arrived. “I was beginning to think you’d chickened out,” laughed Mikey.

“Oh, no, Mikey. Never. I’m not going to miss the boat on this one.”

As Mikey ushered Jack away, Jimmy could hear his old friend opening up immediately. Everything he said had to be taken with a pinch of salt, but Jimmy didn't mind. It would just be even more incriminating.

Thinking about his conversation with DI Carpenter that afternoon, Jimmy smiled and reacquainted himself with the old gang. They were full of tales of violence and lawlessness, tales that Jimmy would have once rejoiced in. Not any more, though. In a way, his arrest had been a blessing in disguise. He was a changed man now, a man whose only concern was his family. Oh, and a little bit of revenge, that dish that is best served cold.

When Mikey and Jack returned to the table, plans for the burglary of a local, grand hotel were revealed. There was a conference coming up that would draw the richest people from all parts of the country. Mikey had a skeleton key. Five skeleton keys, to be exact.

“But there’s six of us here, Mikey,” said Jimmy.

“Yes. You, Jimmy, can be look out. We don’t want you to get caught again, do we?” Mikey smirked and continued addressing his gang. Everything was planned, down to the very last detail. Jimmy couldn't help feeling brushed aside. Mikey was adding insult to injury by making him lookout. He had always been at the heart of the action.

Feeling as though he had one foot in the grave, Jimmy returned to his car. Jack climbed in shotgun and was barely able to contain his excitement. “I got it all, Dad. He told me all about the night you were arrested. All about this gig, everything.”

“Well that is the icing on the cake, Son. I’m proud of you,” Jimmy said, ruffling his son’s hair as he spoke.

Jack played the recording once the men reached home. It was flawless. Jack had recorded with the audacity to hold the phone in his hands. In plain view of everyone. Jimmy made a call to DI Carpenter the next day. They met at the station and Jimmy handed over the treasure.

The detective, who was fresh faced and full of aftershave, listened to the recording and nodded. “Mr. Povey, this is good. Thank you. We need you to meet as planned, so as not to draw attention to our involvement. We’ll give you a wire, so we know when to enter.”

“W-what?” asked Jimmy. I thought this was all you needed. You’ve got him on tape admitting to everything.”

“Yes, but we want to catch him in the act, Mr. Povey. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.”

Reluctantly, Jimmy agreed. He had no choice, really.

The night of the heist, the whole Povey Family were jittery. Helen paced backwards and forwards, wearing the carpet thin. Jimmy sat at the kitchen table, drumming his fingers. Jack, however, was talking nineteen to the dozen, desperate to be the hero of the operation, stealing everyone’s thunder.

The gang, once more, met at Pinky’s Bar. They climbed into the van and drove to the hotel. Once inside, the plan commenced. Jimmy followed Mikey’s instructions to a T. He had to admit, the old familiar thrill of working with the gang hadn't died away.

By the time the police entered the hotel, they knew exactly where to go to pick up each member. As Mikey was paraded past Jimmy in handcuffs, struggling to get free and cursing at the Officer, Jimmy said, “Now now, Mikey. Don’t throw your toys out of the pram. I think you bit off more than you could chew this time.”


Throwing his arm around his son’s shoulder, Jimmy felt the warmth inside him melt the anger. He finally had revenge for the harrowing few years his family had endured. He smiled as he thought what a bitter pill prison would be for Mikey to swallow.

1545 words
© Copyright 2015 Choconut ~ Dragon Tamer (purplesunday at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2052746-Revenge