*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2053503-Obsessions
by R
Rated: 13+ · Thesis · Opinion · #2053503
I had a weird moment. I'm not usually this deep, I swear. Sorry in advance.
Humans have an unhealthy obsession with suffering and war. Documentary after documentary on how one species turn on themselves over and over again in a deadly string of civil wars and personal feuds. We can never stop it, or a least that's what we have lead ourselves to believe. The question is, do we really try?

Somewhere deep inside maybe, just maybe part of us decides not to try that hard. Just think, without all that goes wrong in this world how would humans understand what was right? We are a perceptive race, learning how to live through watching and observing other animals and humans behaviour. It's how we survive. So when we watch these documentaries, we only take away the good from them and disregard everyone who looses their lives in the battles because 'It will never happen to me'. But ask yourself this, what if it does? Would you want the rest of the world to sit idly by, when you are suffering?

It's a simple concept really. We watch horror movies because we are obsessed with being scared and as a result, feeling safer in our own homes. We let these people suffer because we feel better and more grateful for what we have. Essentially, we take pleasure in their pain and as much as it will be hard to accept, It's true. How many times have you watched people die on the news and been glad that it wasn't you? We are all guilty here.

If you take anything from this, I ask that you think twice before walking past that homeless man. That you consider donating to a charity when you come into wealth. Even if you cannot do these things, this is a matter of moral not money. Stop this obsession with watching other people suffer to make yourself feel better. They don't deserve to be ignored just for our sick entertainment and lack of motive. Without realising it, the human race is letting itself crumble into an uncivilised mess. 'Sure, it's sad to see the suffering in the rest of the world but what can I do' - Answer: It's not just you, everything counts.

Don't get addicted to the feeling of dread when you see suffering. Try.

R
© Copyright 2015 R (thaliarue at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2053503-Obsessions