*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2053623-Perhaps
Rated: E · Monologue · Educational · #2053623
A brief muse on fate and chance - in other words, me testing out a few writing skills!
Our lives are defined by fate and chance. Take me, for example.
I'm currently sitting down comfortably on my soft cushioned swivel chair at my bedroom desk and writing my first short story for Writing.com. After I have finished doing this, I will no doubt turn off my personal computer, wander downstairs and relax on the sofa in front of the television. Or will I?
Any number of things could happen after I turn my computer off. Perhaps as I go to turn the light switch off in my room, the filament on the bulb could blow. In the temporary but all too enveloping blackness, perhaps my unclad feet might slip on the carpet and I'll side and hit my head on the opposing wall as I tumble head first over. As I lie unconcious in the darkness, perhaps my head injury may be severe enough to cause severe internal bleeding, a cracked skull, or even both. In which case, who knows?: Game over for me?
Looking at the other side of the coin, perhaps life's game of chance will see me roll a six. Perhaps my bump on the head will see me get taken to hospital with mild concussion, where I may be treated by a beautiful young nurse who will turn out to be the woman of my dreams.
But then again, most likely neither of these things will happen. Most likely, I'll flick the light switch and my bedroom light will decide not to give up the ghost tonight, and I'll be free to wander downstairs at my own leisure.
That's if my getting downstairs passes without incident, of course. Yes, it's very likely that I'll happily plod my way down the gentle descent to the ground floor of the house, but who knows? I once fell downstairs as a child and was very lucky to escape serious injury, though I did sustain a black eye as a result of my tumbling foray. Fate and chance saw that I managed to survive that particular adventure.
As they did when I managed to avoid that maniac who was in front of me on the duel carriage way the other day, who had slammed on his breaks too hard. As they did I was on a speedboat with my uncle as a youngster and it sprung a leak, though not severe enough for the boat to sink. As they did when I was seven and nearly drowned at our hotel swimming pool on the Isle of Wight.
But I didn't. I rolled a six on all of those occasions and won my game of chance with the gods. And so it has ever been for everyone and everything that has ever lived on our blue and green marble in space. Just think how many sixes have been thrown to allow me to get so far as to be at this point in my life as to be writing this short parable? The fact that I discovered this website, for one. The fact the I knew how to use the internet properly to search for a writing website. The fact that I learned how to use a computer. The fact that I learned how to listen at school and be able to read and write as a result, which lead to me wanting to and needing to use a computer. The fact that I went to school. The fact that I was born with a healthy brain and body. The fact that I was conceived and survived childbirth. The fact that I was the sperm who survived and developed into an embryo. The fact that my parents made love. The fact that they met...
Perhaps fate decided that this was the route that my particular branch of history would go down. Perhaps I've been rolling sixes in the game of chance for most of my life so far. Perhaps I will continue to do so and live long enough to receive a telegram from the queen. Or perhaps that light bulb filament will decide to intervene...
© Copyright 2015 jmbookz1 (jmbookz1 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2053623-Perhaps