*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2056298-The-Best-Laid-Plans
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2056298
so the story goes.
Word count 1005

Erica hoped Michael liked her dress. She hoped he liked the way she put her hair up and had applied her makeup. She hoped beyond anything that he liked her. She had never been to such a party before. Everything depended upon him liking her, for if he did, then she could enact the rest of her plan to get out of the dump that her parents forced her to live in. She wasn't meant to live like this, she was meant for bigger and better things. She had a plan set in motion, and nothing was going to stop her! After all this time, she would be one of the "haves" instead of always being a "have not". She couldn't wait to attend the party.

After consulting the fashion magazines that she had shoplifted for the tenth time, she felt confident that her hair, makeup and dress were in perfect order. If only she had the money for a cab. She could show up to the party on her own, without having to take the bus, or worse yet, ride with her parents. How embarrassing. It was a miracle at all that her dad had been invited to the company's fifteenth anniversary party. A greater miracle still, that the president's son would be there as well. She had seen him at school from a distance. She would never have spoken to him, as she was ashamed of her "lack of standing". But she was clever, and devious, and when she wanted something, she went after it. Take the dress for example. She wanted it, so she skimmed grocery money from her parents in order to get it. It took a bit of doing, but her parents didn't seem to notice. Same with the shoes and makeup. Now her sights were set on the prize. In this case "it" was a "him". He would be her meal ticket out of the "lower class" drudgery that she despised.

This party meant everything to her. If all went according to plan, she would have her hooks into the boy by graduation, and it would be smooth sailing from there. The timing of the party couldn't be better, and her ovulation cycle was in perfect sync. Just a bit of time together and hormones racing, and her future was guaranteed. She didn't care about the consequences of her actions, just that she escape the life sentence imposed upon her by her uncaring parents.

One last look in the mirror, and she was ready to go. Since she didn't want to be spotted near her parents, she told them she would meet them there. She didn't like walking in high heels, so she put them in her bag and wore her tennis shoes to the bus station. She figured she could change before she arrived at her destination. Parts one and two of her plan were a go.

The bus ride took forever. Her nerves were frayed, and only by sheer force of will did she manage to get them under control. Tonight was not a time to be a nervous wreck! She changed her shoes and placed her tennis shoes into the bag. Surely in a place so big and grand, there would be a place she could safely stash her bag. She wanted nothing to distract from her appearance tonight. Her ship would be coming in, and she was ready and eager to begin her new life.

How fabulous the hotel was! Everything around her screamed "money". From the flowers to the champagne to the waiters holding their little trays of appetizers. This was the life! She imagined that she would fit into this world far better than the humdrum of everyday life that she was accustomed to participating in. The company her dad worked for was doing fantastic, and after fifteen years, this party was a way to say "thank you" for all of the hard work everyone had put into making the company successful. For all of that, her station in life hadn't improved, and she resented it. She also resented the fact that her parents were happy with the status quo, and every time she mentioned improvements for their station, they told her they were happy as they were. Underachievers! She'd show them! This hotel was the perfect place to enact her plan. Now if only she could find him.

She wandered here and there, looking for her prey. Smiling her perfect smile, eating an appetizer or two, so as to blend in. She even took a glass of champagne from one of the waiters who looked at her hungrily. She laughed at his hopefulness. She wasn't going to settle for some waiter - not when there were bigger fish to fry. She tried not to show her impatience, but there were a lot of people here, and she had yet to spot him. Soon, very soon, all would be well she told herself. She had kept up this internal mantra for so long, it became a part of her being.

Finally! She spotted him talking to a few of his friends. Now how to get him away from everybody? She thought of a few different ways she could distract him. Perhaps being "lost" and could he help her find her way? Or just walk up to him and put her hand on his arm? Maybe. She calmed herself by taking a few deep breaths. So close to the prize, so close to having all of her dreams come true. Don't blow it! Setting her drink aside, she gathered her courage, put a sweet smile on her face, and slowly made her way toward her mark.

He was still talking to his friends, oblivious to her approach. When she was within a couple of feet from him, she stumbled, and fell headlong into the middle of the group. For all of her planning and cunning, this was the one thing she hadn't planned on. For every detail she had devised, this wasn't in her list of outcomes. Mortification was the only thought crossing her mind.
© Copyright 2015 amyjo-Keeping it real and fun! (a_nourse at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2056298-The-Best-Laid-Plans