*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2056322-Prompt5I-meant-to-take-the-left-turn
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Sci-fi · #2056322
Everyone makes a bad choice now and then
Word Count: 249 of 250 MAX
DAY 5 Prompt: "I meant to take the left turn..."

         Why did I even bother lying? I’m no good at it and by the look in the soldier’s eyes he knew it too. I quickly glanced away, embarrassed in the moment.

         He reached out and opened my door. “Ma’am, I’m going to have to insist you step out of the vehicle.”

         I slumped forward in defeat. I could slam on the gas and make a mad dash for freedom except the engine block was riddled with god knows how many bullets. I could hear it dying; spilling its fluids all over the road.

         “Ma’am, please exit the vehicle now.”

         I sighed, unfastened my seatbelt and climbed out. The soldier took a step back and my eyes immediately darted left. He knew what I was thinking. “Its hot and I don’t feel like running ma’am. Please don’t make me shoot you.”

         I looked behind me in time to see another soldier lifting my camera from the passenger seat.

         “Hey! That’s the property of the Harrisburg Gazette. I’m a reporter and you’ve no right to detain me.”

         He looked at me like I was insane. Maybe I was. “Lady, I don’t give a shit who you work for. Orders are all civilians are to be evacuated immediately. EVERYONE.”

         I didn’t care for his tone and was about to say as much but became distracted by sudden violent tremors underfoot. Somewhere to the right, far from view, the military had finally engaged with the aliens. A horrifyingly true world war had begun.
© Copyright 2015 Cupadraig~The Remote Country (cupadraig at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2056322-Prompt5I-meant-to-take-the-left-turn