*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2056462-Birthday-Girl
Rated: E · Short Story · Contest Entry · #2056462
entry for Genre Times Four
Susie couldn't wait for tomorrow to get here. It was going to be her seventh birthday, and it was going to be the best ever! It seemed ages since her mom frosted the cupcakes and set them on the party platter, and she was about to burst with pent up excitement. She got to pick her colors for the party...purple (of course) and pink. There were balloons and party favors and even cute little prize bags for all of her friends to take home after the party. Mom had told her to settle down and watch TV or to go to her room to read, but how could she? There was too much to think about! Susie looked at the clock for the hundredth time. When would tomorrow get here? It was only 7 pm. With a groan, Susie flopped onto the couch and switched on the TV. Maybe something funny would be on. She could only hope so, as tomorrow was NEVER going to get here!

After watching TV for a couple of hours, Susie's mom told her it was time for bed. Finally! Maybe tomorrow would come faster after I go to sleep.Susie went upstairs, and brushed her teeth, took a bath, and then snuggled into her favorite princess nightgown. Mom came up and tucked her into bed with her favorite princess story and a goodnight kiss.Sleep didn't come as fast as Susie would have liked. She heard her mom's footsteps downstairs as she was settling the house in for the night. Tossing and turning, Susie tried hard to relax, but it was hard when all she could think about was her party tomorrow. After a while, Susie fell asleep, still thinking about her big day.

Morning came, and Susie bounded out of bed. It's finally here! My birthday! I thought it would NEVER come!Susie carefully got dressed in her new outfit and shoes. She brushed her hair carefully, taking her time, to make it perfect. She raced down the stairs, and greeted her mom with a hug. It's my birthday today! Susie gushed. Mom just smiled and told Susie to go to the table for breakfast. After breakfast she helped her mom with loading the dishwasher. The clock didn't seem to move any faster than last night, and Susie felt a bit of impatience. So she kept herself busy by checking over the party decorations, and counting the cupcakes. Thirteen, fourteen, fifteen in all.
Little by little, the clock slowly moved its hands. Susie would swear that it was broken, and asked her mom to change the batteries in it. Mom just chuckled at her, and told her to be patient just a little while longer. Groaning again, Susie tried to keep herself busy, and tried to not look at the clock so much. Waiting for her party to start seemed to take forever!

After a bit, Susie was surprised to hear the doorbell. She raced to the front door to see who it could be. Grandma! Grandpa! Are you here for my party? Susie squealed, as she hugged her grandparents. Why, yes, they were! Mom had come to the door too, and took the packages from Grandpa's arms. They were wrapped in pretty pink paper and ribbons. Susie grabbed her grandma's hand and took her to where the party was set up. She showed her the cupcakes and decorations, and told her how she got to pick out the colors. This was going to be the best birthday ever! Grandpa and mom joined them, and laughed at Susie's excitement. After all, it wasn't everyday you got to turn seven.

Soon, the doorbell rang again, and now her friends were here. All of her friends were crowded around Susie, wishing her a happy birthday, and giggling as little girls do when they are together. Susie politely thanked each of her friends for coming, and for the presents as they were handed to her. Mom raised her right, and it was only nice to be polite. Besides, she didn't want to be grounded on her birthday. The excitement grew as they gathered around the table to begin the party. They sang "Happy Birthday" to Susie, and mom brought out a beautifully decorated cake with flaming candles on it. Susie leaned forward to blow out the candles and made her birthday wish. Only one more thing would make this birthday perfect, she thought as she blew as hard as she could.

After opening up her presents, Susie looked around the room. She was very happy






© Copyright 2015 amyjo-Keeping it real and fun! (a_nourse at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2056462-Birthday-Girl