*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2056477-Adults-and-Children-in-American-Society
Rated: E · Essay · Cultural · #2056477
This essay, written for adults, focuses upon how we as adults in America should be.
American society is founded upon Christian European-American belief systems. In accordance to these belief systems, we as adults in America should focus on being as adults in America, and children here should grow and learn to be like us. Furthermore, we need to respect the proper demarcations, which have existed in this nation, between adults and children. I shall approach this topic with the focus upon Christian European-American culture.

In regards to attire, we adults should strive for more formality in our dress than that of children. However, it is understandable that our clothing should be proper for the situation. Nonetheless, the general standard remains. We should, for example, strive to avoid garments, such as the undershirt (t-shirt) if possible. It is either underwear or the garment of children. In addition, we should refrain mostly from wearing short pants. Our general focus should be upon appearing dissimilar to children, by an increase in formality over them.

Our language ought not to reflect that of children. We ought to avoid the terminology used by them. Nonetheless, we should maintain a focus upon decency and Christian morality. Therefore, we should strive for a balance in our language. A balance between decency and verbiage appropriate for us. We ought to avoid profanities, but also childish vocabulary. Additionally, we should expect that children refer to us by title and surname. Children ought to refer to gentlemen with the title of “sir” and ladies with the title of “ma’am” or “madame”. Parents should expect the traditional parental titles.

The main purpose is for us as adults to perceive ourselves as adults and to respect our situation as adults. The station of children is to mature into adulthood. Simultaneously, they need to respect adults as distinct from themselves.
© Copyright 2015 Gentleman (daniel_eakin at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2056477-Adults-and-Children-in-American-Society