*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2056552-Its-No-Match-for-Friendship
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Friendship · #2056552
Lee and her friends have their friendship put to the test.
Lee was an interesting girl, for certain. Her full name was Annalise Joanne Marshall, but if anyone called her Annalise, or any other nickname derived from it, they were dead meat. Except her mother, of course; her mother could call her Anna. Her older brother Nate sometimes teased her with it, but then she just pulled the "Nathaniel" card on him. Anyone else, though, immediately regretted it. Even her father had known to call her Lee; it was the one good thing she was willing to give him credit for. Well, that and the fact that when he played drunken poker with his buddies he always managed to come up with great jokes Lee could use on her friends.

Lee's friends were an interesting bunch too. Grace was an anime-obsessed nerd with a love of writing, brown eyes and thick black hair going down to her shoulders, who many people judged as being goth because she tended to wear black, but Lee knew better. Alex was a spunky blonde, easily the smartest in their group, and with piercing gray eyes that analyzed everything. She was very focused on her studies, and she also loved reading, even more than the rest of them. She read all of Grace's stories. Dan was a short but muscularly built guy who played baseball, and he was very into movies, wanting to be a director. He had reddish hair and blue eyes. Jenna was also an athlete; she played field hockey. She had light brown hair that went all the way to her mid-back and light brown eyes to match. She was also a bit of a romantic. Sam was blond, like Alex, but he was less into studying and more into making things. He was really good at science, and he built robots and invented all sorts of amazing gadgets. And then, of course, there was Lee. Lee had dark brown hair that went a few inches past her shoulders. Her eyes were hazel colored. She was slimly built, but not very agile to show for it. Lee loved cracking jokes, and telling funny stories - she loved making people laugh. She liked to draw, too. She was also the advice person; if anyone had a problem, whether it be any of her friends or Nate or even her mother, they could come to her for a solution.

On the day in question, Sam had approached Lee with an issue regarding his younger sister, Eva. Eva had gotten a date, and Sam felt that at just 12 years old, she was too young to be dating anyone.
"I never dated at 12," said Sam.
"Sam, you were also a socially awkward weirdo."
"Still am. The 4 years didn't change anything.''
"Whatever. The point is, Eva is just being social. It's not like they're gonna start making out or something."
"How do you know?"
"Your sister is a responsible human being, that's how I know."
"And you're sure this guy won't pressure her?"
"Sam, they are 12 years old. It's really unlikely. And if he tried, Eva would tell your dad, who would make sure he got what he deserved."
"True."
"Why don't you just talk to Eva, and make sure she understands what she's getting into?" Lee advised.
"Yeah, I could do that. Good idea. Thanks, Lee."
"No problem, Sam. By the way, did Grace send you that new story she wrote?"
"Yeah. Alex forwarded it to me, too. It is pretty good."
"Yeah, it really is. I think she should try to get it published. Once she finishes it, obviously, not just the first chapter."
"Yeah, getting it published would be cool. Having an author friend would make us cool by association."
"Sam, we are cool. We're friends with Jenna, field hockey star, and Dan, baseball... player. Sports are everything at school." Lee rolled her eyes. "I wonder when they'll start spending more school money on the learning than on the playing. At this rate, we'll have idiots controlling the country, but at least we can go home and watch other idiots play games for a living."
"Jenna and Dan aren't idiots," Sam protested.
"No, they're not, because they recognize there are more important things than sports. Most people don't."

Sam was about to reply when Lee's computer made a sound. They both looked at it. Alex was requesting a video chat. Lee pressed the button. "Hey Alex."
"Lee - oh hi Sam - Lee, major, major, major times ten million emergency crisis level super emergency!!" Alex exclaimed.
"Woah, Alex, calm down," Lee said. "What is it."
"My parents are getting a divorce," Alex said, panic evident in her voice.
"Oh," said Lee. "That's not good."
"It gets worse," said Alex, almost starting to cry. "My mom got a new job, in South Africa. And she's taking me with her."
Lee could almost feel her jaw hit the floor. "Alex..."
"I can't go," Alex said. "But I don't know what I can do about it..." She had started crying for real now.
"Video hug," Lee said.
"From me too," added Sam.
"Thanks," Alex replied. "But that doesn't solve the problem."
Lee nodded. "But this is bigger than anything I could solve alone. We need an emergency group meeting. I'll call everyone. Laura's Diner in 20 minutes."
Alex nodded. "Thanks, Lee. See you there."
"See you."
As soon as the video call was over, Lee turned to Sam. "This is..."
"Yeah. What do we do?"
"No idea. Let's go to Laura's Diner and figure it out."
Sam nodded and the two of them exited Lee's house and began walking towards the diner.

Right after they left, Lee called Dan and Sam called Grace, then Lee called Jenna. After everyone was caught up and on their way, Lee began looking for advice on the internet, usually the last place she liked to look to solve her problems, but this was a major one. A few minutes later, they arrived at the diner. Alex was already there.
"Ok, real hug now," Lee said, giving her a hug.
"Please tell me there's a magical solution?" Alex asked.
"Alex, you're the smart one, I think you already know there isn't."
She sighed. "Yeah, I know."
Dan arrived shortly, followed by Grace, and then Jenna came in a little while after. Jenna was late a lot.
"Alright, so, we're all here," Lee said. "Now we have to find a solution to this issue. I'd say it's the biggest we've ever faced."
Grace nodded. "Are you alright, Alex?"
"No," Alex said. "I'm scared. I don't want to leave. I love all you guys, and switching schools in my junior year of high school seems dumb anyway. And... and I'm afraid I won't see my dad anymore. Lee, do you ever see yours?"
"Alex, my parents divorced because my dad was always drunk, never working, constantly gambling, and beat my brother," Lee reminded her. "There was that whole custody case, over the fact that my mom had us, and my dad could never see us unsupervised again. Remember?" She typically didn't like bringing that story up, but, it was relevant to the current issue. She had never thought it would be.
"Right. Sorry."
"Yeah, this is probably different." For one thing, Alex was 16, not 11 like Lee had been.
"Yeah..."
"Why can't you just ask your parents if you can stay here with your dad?" Dan asked.
"Because my mom wants me to go with her, and she is going for full custody except on holidays."
"That's extreme."
"She says that moving constantly between here and South Africa wouldn't be good for me."
"But living full-time in South Africa would be?"
"Apparently."
"What job did she get in South Africa, anyway?" asked Jenna.
"Teacher in a small village that needs better education."
"That's actually pretty cool," said Grace.
"Yeah. If I didn't have to leave."
"Wait," said Sam. "Maybe, we just have to show your parents how important it is for you to stay here."
"How will we do that?" Alex asked.
"Well... Dan, you want to be a director, right?"
"Yeah..."
"So practice. Let's make a short film about why Alex needs to stay here, with us."
"Sam," said Lee with a smile. "That's a brilliant idea."
"Thanks.''
"Ok, let's start tomorrow after school, my place. That okay with everyone?"
They all nodded.

Everyone was gathered in Lee's bedroom, which was relatively small and thus cramped. "Ok," said Lee. "First official gathering of Operation: Save Alex. Our mission: convince the parents of Alexandra Rivers that moving her to South Africa will be a bad idea."
"Sub-mission: Teach Lee to be less dramatic," added Dan.
"Shut up. Now, director, what is your vision for this video?"
Dan took a deep breath. "Ok. So, my idea is that we have all of us, saying how important Alex is, and then we show that she's doing well here and taking her away would be a bad idea. Then we cut to Alex begging not to leave."
"Not a bad idea," said Jenna. "When can we start shooting?"
"Well... we've all got camera phones that record... so now."
"Awesome," said Lee. She was a little camera shy, but it was worth it to help her friend.
Dan took out his phone and held it up to Lee. "Ok. Name, and why Alex is important to you."
She took a deep breath. "Lee Marshall here, friend to Alex since second grade. Alex is a great person, super sweet, and super fun, and one of the smartest people I have ever met. I really don't know what my life would be without her. She has been helping me with my homework since forever, and with a lot of other stuff, too, and there's part of me that would be empty without her."
"Oh, Lee, that is so sweet!" Alex exclaimed.
"Alex, you know how I feel about you," Lee said with a smile.
"Alright, now Grace."
"Grace Aron speaking, also a friend of Alex since second grade. Alex reads all of the stories I write. Her opinions are invaluable. And so is her friendship. I wouldn't be everything I am without Alex; she's part of what completes me."
"Sam Ryan, also Alex's friend since second grade. Alex is amazing, she's fun and she'll do anything at any moment. The world wouldn't be as awesome without her, and neither would I."
"Jenna Yalma here, also a friend of Alex since the second grade. Alex is pretty much the one that keeps me grounded. When I need to focus on my studies, I get her to help me. If I don't get something, she'll explain it. Alex is awesome, and I need her, just like the ocean needs a shore."
Dan turned the camera on himself. "Dan Errit here, also Alex's friend since we were in second grade. Alex inspires me. Everything she does is awesome, and I wouldn't be what I am without her around, and I can't imagine her not being around.
Alex was crying again, but this time they were happy tears. "Guys... that was so sweet," she said.
"We love you, Alex," said Grace. "You know that."
"Alright," said Dan. "Your turn Alex."
Alex took a deep breath. "Mom, Dad. Mostly mom. I love you, really I do. And South Africa seem like a really cool place. But I don't want to live there. I can't imagine living without my best friends. I don't ever want to be without them. Cause without them, there'd be a really big hole in my heart too. And my grades are up, I'm doing really well in school, if you pull me out you'll destroy that. Everything's going fine here, please, please don't take me away."
"Cool," said Dan. "Now I just need a picture of an A that you got and I'll edit the video together."
"Oh," said Alex. She reached into her bag. "Here. Yesterday's geography test."
"Of course," said Sam.
Dan snapped a picture. "Alright," he said. "Just for fun, say 'I'm Alex Rivers and I approve this message'."
She did. "Cool. See you all tomorrow with the video," said Dan.
"See you."

The next day at school, Dan ran up to them with his phone in his hand. "Alright, it's done," he said. "Stayed up all night, but it was worth it."
He played it, and they all looked on. All their statements were there, intermingled with footage of them as children. There was the picture of Alex's A, then her bit, and then her final line - "I'm Alex Rivers and I approve this message."
By the end of the video, all of them were crying. "No way they'll let you leave now," said Jenna.
"I hope not," Alex replied. "Wait, is this on YouTube?"
Dan nodded. "I figured if it got enough views, they had to let you stay."
"Dan!" Lee yelled. "Without our permission?" She was terrified. Having private stuff about her leaked on the internet was one of her worst fears.
"Calm down, I was joking," said Dan. "It's shared privately, so only I can see it on there."
"Do not freak us out like that!" Grace exclaimed. "But anyway, great video."
"Yeah, it's awesome," said Sam.
"Thanks," Dan replied. "So after school, we show it to your parents?"
Alex nodded. "We do."

They all arrived at Alex's house and waited in her room for her both of her parents to come home from their jobs. When they finally did, all six of them went to their bedroom. "Mom, Dad," Alex began.
Her mother looked up. "Yes sweetie?"
"About the whole South Africa thing... we have a video to show you."
They walked over to her parents and Dan played the video for them.
Afterwards, both of Alex's parents were also in tears.
"It really means this much to you to stay here?" her mother asked.
Alex nodded. "With my friends."
"Well... but... I want to see you, sweetie. If you're here while I'm there, I rarely will."
"I could spend summer vacation with you," Alex said. "And holidays. But I mean, in a year and a half I'll be in college anyway."
"Okay, you can stay. Just don't bring that up again."
"I would love for you to stay with me, Alex," her father said.
Alex smiled widely for the first time since finding out about the divorce. "Guys, I get to stay here," she said.
Lee smiled. "Good, cause, I need help with my math homework."
Alex laughed. "Let's get on it, then."
"Let's," Lee replied, and the six friends exited the room.
Lee smiled to herself. She knew things still weren't perfect - Alex's parents were still getting a divorce, and she still didn't understand her math class, and Sam had that whole issue with Eva and her date - but they were about as good as they could be under those circumstances, and, as long as she had all of her friends, she could handle that. She could handle anything.
© Copyright 2015 WriterGirl (w0r5i2t3e at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2056552-Its-No-Match-for-Friendship