*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2056738-Love-In-Cheshire-1966-Chapter-15
by Bruce.
Rated: 18+ · Chapter · Romance/Love · #2056738
Brian meets Lynn, but she asks him to go on a blind date with Kathy.
Chapter 15.




I walked into The Ring O'Bells just after seven o'clock, bought myself a light and bitter and walked into the small room. Badger and Kenny were sitting in their usual places on the bench seat. "Has Tommy been in?" I asked.

         "Tommy," Badger said. "I don't know a Tommy, do you, Ken?"

         "I don't think so. Wait though, didn't we once have a friend named Tommy?"

         "That's right, Ken. Went off to get married and was never seen again."

         "He'll be seen tonight. I was supposed to meet him here at seven but I'm a bit late."

         "He hasn't shown up here," Kenny said. "And he probably won't. He's having you on. He's well and truly converted."

         Our conversation was interrupted by the distinctive footsteps of the landlord approaching the room. "Look out, Ken," Badger said. "Here comes Albert. Quick, hide that bottle of scotch."

         The landlord entered the room shaking his head. "I know you better than that, Badger, and anyway if you had a bottle I'd get a glass and join you."

         "Hey, Albert, how about a free drink for Brian? It was his birthday a few weeks ago and you never treated him."

         "Well, he should have told me at the time then shouldn't he? How old are you now anyway, Brian?"

         "Er, twenty," I said.

         "Twenty," Badger said. "Twenty, try eighteen."

         "Eighteen, you been coming here near on a year, eighteen you rascal. Don't let Bessie find out, she'll go off." The landlord walked out with the two empty beer bottles he had made the journey for.

         "Thanks, Badger, I owe you one," I said.

         Badger laughed. "You should have seen your face, it was a treat."

         "It was a bit silly," Kenny said. "You could have got the kid barred."

         "No," Badger replied. "There's no point now he's eighteen and Albert is not stupid. He knows that if he bars one of us he bars all of us and there's no shortage of ale houses round here."

         "No, but this is the only one across the road from my house." Kenny spoke firmly which seemed to shut Badger up for a while. "How'd it go the other night, Brian?" Kenny asked after a pause, wondering how I had got on with Sandra.

         "No good," I replied. "She wouldn't let me have anything." I'd had mixed feelings of relief and disappointment when Sandra’s father had turned up on his motorcycle combination, but relief was the strongest and I had decided not to meet her again.

         "Well," said Kenny. "No point in knocking at the door if she won't let you in. Not like her sister Rachel then."

         Badger looked at Kenny and grinned widely. "Rachel's sister," he said.

         "Yeah, Funny," Kenny continued, " I didn't realise Sandra was a virgin."

         Badger let out a false fit of laughter on hearing Kenny's remark. "Sandra, if she's a virgin then my old chap's the Duke of Edinburgh." He stared over at me. "What, did she come across a bit heavy? Frightened you off, did she? Maybe one of you is a virgin, but it certainly isn't Sandra, ay, Kid." Badger turned on his false laugh again.

         "Don't talk silly, Badger. You're talking out yer arse." I spoke out trying to dismiss Badger's comments and end the matter, but it didn't work.

         "Oooh listen, Ken, touched a nerve don't ya think?"

         I could feel the heat beginning to rise in my face and I was desperate for a change in the conversation.

         "Oh yea, oh yea, oh yea!" Tommy called as he walked into the room. "The drinks are on me." I looked over pleased to see Tommy and grateful that he had turned up at just the right moment.

         "Hey up, Tommy, lad," Kenny stood up to go to the bar.

         "I'll get it, Ken," Tommy said.

         "No, I'll get the ale, you sort Badger out. He's been having a right old time with your mate Brian."

         "Oh, has he?" Tommy ran across to Badger and began to playfully punch him in the arms and chest.

         The banter continued. Badger was not getting things his own way so much now with Tommy putting him on the receiving end. I received some ribbing and gave some back but I wasn't in the same league as Tommy and Badger. Kenny didn't say much, but he was the target for a bit of leg pulling as long as he was smiling. It would be a foolish man that continued after the smile left Kenny's face. The bell sounded in the bar and Badger tried persuading Tommy to go to Minstrels nightclub but Tommy didn't show the slightest interest. Badger didn't even waste his time asking Kenny. He looked at me but I still had over half a pint of beer in my glass. "Come on then, kid, better get a move on. We need to hurry down to the terminus or we'll miss the bus."

         Even I was wondering if it was a good idea. It might be awkward if George and Helen were there, or Sandra, she knows that I go there and she might just turn up looking for me. Worse still, I had heard a rumour that Amanda was back in town. "I might just give it a miss as well."

         "Bollocks! You can't let me go on my own like some sad loner. It was your idea to go there anyway. So come on, let's get going."



         Badger and I arrived at the club and I glanced around wondering if Helen was about, but she was not. Helen was rarely seen in the club anymore. I never imagined her as a stay at home girl and I wondered if she really liked her new kind of life.

         Badger noticed me looking around. "Not many in tonight, is there, Brian? It's those coaches they've started to run to that club in Manchester. Didn't you go once with some of the railway lads?"

         "Yeah, not really my scene though. Full of junkies and peddlers and stinking of dope and B O. I didn't like the sounds much either. They play a lot of that Howlin’ Wolf and John Lee Hooker sort of stuff."

         "Lots of women?" Badger inquired.

         "Cor yeah, you'd probably screw yourself to death."

         Badger laughed. "Can do that here without going to Manchester." He looked past me and called out to someone, "Oy, sexy."

         I turned to see who he was calling to and was pleasantly surprised to see Judy walking over. I was pleased at the opportunity to see her again and thought that if she is alone, I may be able to spend some time with her. I glanced at her bare shapely legs wondering how she could wear a dress so short without showing her knickers when she danced.

         "Well, hiya, Badge," she said as she walked over and then gave a huge smile towards me. "You're not a mate of his, are you?"

         I laughed. "Afraid so," I said. Straight away I enjoyed that wonderful distinctive aroma of her cream perfume and it added to the thrill of seeing her again.

         "It's good to see you, Judy," Badger said. "I didn't think you came here anymore."

         "Course I do, but usually only on Fridays now."

         "That's why then. We only usually come on Sundays but Brian arranged a night out with Tommy tonight, only Tommy blew it out again the miserable sod."

         "Everyone seems to be getting married off and miserable nowadays, don't they?"

         "Yeah," Badger hesitated. "Are you still living over the brush with Jeff?"

         "Don't you go spreading rumours like that, Badger. He was getting a bit comfortable at my house though and I think he was trying to get his feet permanently under the table, so I threw him out. He didn't really want to go but I told him I'd get my brothers round to have a little chat with him and he changed his mind, didn't he?"

         "Yes, I bet he did. Only a fool would want to upset your brothers. Anyway, how's young Craig doing?"

         "Oh, he's fine. He's nearly three now and quite a little scallywag. I'm still at the same place you know. When are you gonna pop round to see us? "

         Badger ignored the offer and turned to me. "Isn't she gorgeous? You wouldn't think that she was twenty-six, would you?"

         "Well, thanks, Badge," Judy said," but I'm not that old, you know." She was smiling as she continued. "I see you're still full of your usual tact and diplomacy." The smile turned into a grin as she looked back at me. "I haven't seen you for a while, Brian. Have you been avoiding me?"

         "Watch it, Brian, there's nothing Judy likes better than seducing a young cock virgin."

         Judy and Badger were laughing at his remark, but I wasn't amused. I had been standing with my chest out, my left hand resting casually on the bar, my right hand jingling the change in my pocket, biting my lip softly as I glanced between Judy and the people dancing, trying to look casual and impressive. I knew Badger's sense of humour but I could hardly believe what he had just said. My face reddened with anger as well as embarrassment. I tried to say something funny to ease the pressure but got my words jumbled up.

         Judy laughed again. "Well, that's really sweet, darling," she said. "You are all flustered and blushing just for me." Her words didn't help. I felt as if I could shrivel up and die. But then Judy pressed herself up against me and reached over to kiss me on my cheek and it sent my pulse haywire. She turned back to Badger. "Must go, I'm with someone. See you, Badge, and don't forget to call round and see us, will you?" She walked a few steps, then stopped and turned her head back to give me a teasing smile. "Tara, darling," she said before walking off.

         I watched her walking away. She's with someone and it'll be that Jeff character I suppose. Just my bloody luck, I thought. I turned and looked at the grin on Badger's face. Why Badger was so keen to humiliate his friends I couldn't understand but if I wanted to stay in his company I would just have to suffer it and maybe get the chance to pay him back. At that moment though, I would have preferred to strangle him but I knew I couldn't make too much fuss. If I did Badger would know that he was right and he would be sure to use the virgin angle against me again.

         "Come on, Brian, get the beers in," Badger said.

         I ordered the drinks, but my thoughts had returned to Judy. "She's all right Judy. Did you notice she had no tights on?"

         "She won't wear tights," Badger said. "Only stockings and that dress is too short for stockings. I like to see her in a longer dress really. It usually means she's got no pants on. How do you know her anyway?"

         "She's a friend of my sister's," I said, dismissing Badger's previous remark. I can't imagine she would go out dancing without her pants on. "I've been wondering if I should ask her out."

         "Don't even think about it." I grinned back at him. "No, I'm being serious, Brian, she's trouble. You'd do well to steer clear of her. Kenny's the only one I know who could handle her and he even gave up in the end."

         "Kenny," I said. It puzzled me that Kenny knew her, especially as I have never known him to visit Minstrels.

         "Yeah, a while ago now though. They used to live together at one time. They used to come here when it was a rock'n'roll club. I used to sit and watch them. They were really good dancers and did all that advanced stuff. He used to throw her all over the place."

         "Well, I'll be blowed. So that must be her in the photo that I saw at Kenny's house."

         "The photo, the one at Blackpool. I'm surprised he's still got it? I thought he had ripped it up."

         "Were you there as well?"

         "No, before my time with them. They're a lot older than me, but I did get to know them before I moved to Altrincham."

         "Who'd have thought that. They don't look that old."

         "Well, they are."

         "So why did they split up?"

         "When Judy became pregnant with Craig, Kenny found out she had slept with some young boy while he was away in Liverpool. He went crazy and if he'd have found out who it was, he'd have killed him. Luckily he didn't find out and Judy wouldn't tell him."

         "So Craig could be his anyway."

         "Course he could, and probably is."

         "The other lad, do you know who it was then?"

         "Look it was a long time ago and it's none of our business anyway. If Kenny knew we were discussing it he would not be pleased so whatever you do, don't mention it to him." Badger took a drink and then put his glass down next to mine. "Watch my beer. I'm off to the bogs."

         I was watching Badger walk away when I noticed two couples making their way towards the exit. I became a bit uneasy when the blonde girl stopped to stare over at me despite her boyfriend having his arm around her. She said something to her friends and then started walking over towards me. I was taken aback by her outstanding good looks and wondered what on earth she was going to say to me.

         "Hi, I'm Lynn, and you're?" She stopped speaking and stood waiting for my reply.

         "Brian, Brian Conway." I looked over to where her friends were standing.

         "It's okay, I told them you were my cousin."

         "Oh good," I said, a bit bewildered.

         "Were you going up Warwick Hill this afternoon about half three?"

         I smiled realising I was talking to one of the girls who waved to me from the factory bus. "Sorry, I didn't recognise you with your clothes on." I laughed and two young men standing nearby laughed as well, but Lynn didn't seem to find it funny and the friendly smile fell from her face.

         "I was going to ask you to meet my friend tomorrow night, but I don't think I'll bother now."

         I thought she was about to turn and walk away. "No wait, I was only having a joke with you. I didn't mean to annoy you. It's just that you look different with your make-up on."

         "So I looked a mess this afternoon?"

         "You looked nice this afternoon and you look nice now. Listen, I'm really sorry about what I said, can't we start again? Your friend, I'd love to meet her."

         Lynn looked across to her companions and put a finger up to show she wouldn't be much longer. I noticed how her hair spun as she quickly turned her head. It bounced and then dropped neatly back into place. She turned her head back, repeating the effect.

         "Seven o'clock at the bus terminus," Lynn said. "Promise you'll be there."

         "I'll be there," I said.

         "Great, she'll be well chuffed. Her name's Kathy by the way. I'll see you, Henry."

         "Brian. My name's Brian."

         Lynn gave a laugh before walking off.

         I watched her as she walked back to her friends and felt envious when her boyfriend replaced his arm around her. Didn't recognise you with your clothes on. I wondered why I had made such a stupid comment. Thinking it was more like one of Badger's clichés than words of mine. I suddenly saw Badger hurrying back over towards me. I would have thought there was trouble if it weren't for the huge grin across his face.

         "Get your coat, kid. We're off to a party with Adrian."

         "Who's Adrian?" I asked.

         "He's an old mate from Altrincham. His old chap's loaded and owns that new car showroom on Wilson Street."

         "No, I think I'll give it a miss," I said.

         "Come on, it'll be a laugh and there's three smart women going with us. Look, over there by the door. They're waiting for us."

         I glanced over but had no real interest in going to a party with a crowd of strangers. I've an early start at work in the morning and I've had enough anyway. I think I'll just call it a night and get the bus."

         "Well, please yourself but I'm going. You don't know what you're missing, kid. I'll see you tomorrow and you might as well finish my pint."

         I watched Badger and his friends leave and then poured the remains of my pint into Badger's half-filled glass before making a start on drinking it. I thought of the journey ahead. The late bus would only take me to the terminus and I would still have nearly an hour's walk before I got home. I looked across the club and saw Judy leaving with her companion and I watched every movement of her provocative walk. I forgot about my earlier embarrassment and remembered the feel of her soft body pressing against me when she had reached over to kiss me. The scent of her perfume seemed to have lingered with me all night. When she had left, I turned back to the bar and had just drank the last mouthful of my beer when I heard someone speak.

         "Would you like a drink, love?" she said.

         I had not noticed the arrival of the tall woman standing next to me. It shocked me a little because it was a new experience. A middle-aged woman I didn't know offering to buy me a drink. I looked at my empty glass. I didn't want another beer and I was already feeling a bit drunk, but I thought if I refused her offer she may think that I didn't like her and she would lose interest in me. "I'll have a scotch thanks," I said.

         She called to the barman. He stopped what he was doing and walked over. "A scotch and a vodka and lemonade please, love."

         I thought that the woman must have been in her thirties but I found her attractive. I had never taken an interest in someone of her age before. Her clothes though trendy and up to date didn't look out of place on her. The amount of gold she was wearing gave her an added look of class.

         "So, what's a nice young man like you doing on his own?" she asked.

         "Well, er, I've just finished with someone. I'm getting fed up going out with girls of my age. They're too childish. I'd like to go out with a more mature girl, or, woman."

         The woman gave a laugh as if she had seen right through my false patter. She ran her hand down my shirt sleeve. "Nice shirt," she said. "I bet you look quite fit and muscular with it off. Myself, I come here because I like to be with younger men. They're more fun, more active, if you know what I mean." Her hand had moved off my shirt and her fingers rested on top of my hand. Her thumb had slipped under my hand and was gently circling my palm sending tingles through my body. At first, I felt pleased with my good fortune. This attractive woman was buying me a drink and obviously trying to chat me up. But I was getting nervous and thinking I was out of my depth, thinking she was not just trying to chat me up but was intending to seduce me. Maybe that would not be a bad thing, maybe this could be the woman to change my life, or maybe not. I tried to move my hand away but she gripped me firmly. She was gazing blatantly into my eyes, her body easing towards me as if she were about to kiss me.

         "That'll be six and eight," the barman said as he put the drinks on the counter. I looked at the barman and then back to the woman. She moved her hand from mine and began to pour the contents of the small bottle of lemonade into her glass while making no attempt to open her purse.

         "Six and eightpence, mate." The barman spoke louder this time. I reached into my pocket for the money, thinking it would look better if I paid for the drinks.

         "Thanks, love," the woman said. "Gotta go now." She picked up her glass and walked off.

         "The bitch," I muttered. The barman heard me and grinned before walking to the other end of the bar. I sat thinking how stupid I had been to fall for her trick. I was no scotch drinker, but I drank the scotch in one go and then screwed my face up in a mask of contortion as I felt the liquid burning a path from my throat to my stomach. My head started buzzing and I felt as if I were going to be sick. Grabbing my coat from the bar stool I quickly left the club.

 Love In Cheshire 1966. Chapter 16.  (18+)
After dating a creepy youth, Lynn thinks of making up with dodgy Mike.
#2056739 by Bruce.


© Copyright 2015 Bruce. (brucef at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2056738-Love-In-Cheshire-1966-Chapter-15