*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2056961-Rebels-Revenge--Chapter-15
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Sci-fi · #2056961
A small town is transported to an alien world
Chapter 15



"Must be quite a shindig they have planned," General Zanik remarked, watching the female warriors running around the compound. They had been released early in the morning from the prison cells and once again herded into the giant bird cage. While they were eating, several officers had approached the cage, including the sinister one whom Monday had spotted the day before, and another older one who wore a yellow tunic with two gold bird claws on her breast and who seemed to be giving the orders. Monday also spotted the young pretty one among the officers. They had probably been trying to figure out the disappearance of one of their captives from the gestures the Commander made, and Monday threw a hateful look at the one in the black tunic because he knew she had something to do with the death of B'Joel. After that they'd all left in a hurry.

"What you think they're up to Top?" Tom Thumb asked, bracing his foot on the bench next to where Monday was sitting and picking his teeth with a sliver of bamboo.

"Well, I'd guess it's either the day for their annual general inspection or they have some big cheeses coming for a visit," Monday replied, "My money's on the big cheeses."

"You mean like in generals and such?"

"Yep!"

"Reckon we have anything to do with it?"

"Yep!"

"Are we gonna try to bust outta here soon?"

"Don't know. Depends a lot on what happens today."

Tom Thumb looked at him with a puzzled expression.

"We haven't the slightest idea what they're going to do with us Tom," Monday said, "I just figured by the end of the day we'll have a better idea and we'll make plans accordingly."

Tom Thumb continued to look at him with a wary knowing expression. He knew that, The Top, always had plans in the back of his mind even though he didn't speak about them. He looked up as the Nazi Colonel joined them in the conversation. He'd never known any Germans before, especially Nazis, and his paw had fought against them in World War II, but this Colonel Henri seemed like a pretty nice feller.

"Looks as if they're preparing for a major visit or inspection." Henri remarked, sitting down next to Monday.

Monday nodded in agreement then returned his stare to the compound.

"Noticed your belt buckle was missing," Henri remarked, rather nonchalantly, a twisted smile on his face.

"Well I'll be," Monday stated in mock surprise, "reckon it is at that."

Tom Thumb was gaping with a wide grin.

"You going to share it?" Henri asked.

"Dhar and the Ionar scouts found a weak point at the top of the cage. They're going to use my buckle knife to weaken it even more. Once the time is ripe, either we all will escape, or, depending on the circumstances, the Ionar will escape and make their way back to my settlement to let the people know the trouble we're in. I have no doubt that enough level heads will be there to form a plan of rescue. Dhar knows enough of their military strength to pass it on to Mayor Staples and the Senate. A small show of force with modern weapons may be enough to make them free us."

"How are we going to account for their absence?"

"Don't know, pretend ignorance I guess."

"Well, the worse they could do would be to kill us," Henri remarked, "and I don't think they'll go that far, we're too valuable a prize, I think."

Just then Dhar walked over and started gesturing to Monday in the fast sign language of the Ionar. Monday looked at the men surrounding him.

"Dhar says that he and the Ionar can escape at any time they want to," he said, "but the small hole and the climb is too hard for one of us. Do we send them out now?"

"Better a bird in the hand," Henri stated.

"Might be our only chance," General Zanik concurred.

Monday spoke to Dhar for a long time in sign language interspersed with a few words of English and a few unknown words, then turned to his companions.

"They'll be gone in less than five minutes," he said. Dhar knows the ability of the birds but they don't know the abilities of the Ionar. I've seen an Ionar lie down in an open field and if I didn't know he was there, I would never have seen him. Just get ready for the anger of the women once they're gone."

Tom Thumb noticed that Monday's belt buckle was once again holding up his pants and smiled again.

Along about noon they noticed the entire garrison had turned out for a major parade. Monday took the time to count the number of birds and warriors. There were around thirteen hundred of them all total counting the ones without birds. Just when they were wondering if the women would bake in the hot sun, a flock of birds carrying warriors appeared over the compound followed by a large bird carrying a gondola. A skinny older woman got out of the gondola and headed for the single building in the center of the square.

"The big cheese," General Zanik remarked, watching the lesser warriors who flocked around the skinny woman.

"Der big cheese," replied Henri, smiling as he said it. "You Americans have such a great sense of humor."

About an hour later the big cheese, as they thought of her, was escorted to the compound by a squad of important women. They walked around and gaped at the men inside for several minutes until the big cheese yelled something in their incomprehensible language.

"I was told there were twenty five remaining captives," the Admiral said, looking straight at Commander Betaas with an accusing look on her face. "I only count twenty two in the compound."

Commander Bettas looked over her shoulder at Aileea then hurried to count the captives. There were only twenty two. Her eyes rolled up in sudden panic.

Aileea quickly scanned the compound. Her expert eyes picking up the fact that the three cat men were not among the captives. She really liked and respected Commander Betaas and did not want the wrath of this pretend warrior on her shoulders.

"There were three captives who looked like cat men," she quickly improvised. "It is well known that the cat is a hated symbol among our people and these feline men could have no real value. They are being kept in a cell under guard so the Admiral would not have to view them."

"Thank the Gods," the Admiral said, "I suppose it was your idea, young Aileea?"

"Yes Admiral," Aileea hastily replied, looking at Commander Betaas who was rolling her eyes in profound relief and gratitude. She was sure now the Admiral would not want to see the cat men.

"They will all be escorted back to the capitol with my squadron," the Admiral stated. "The Empress has given the order. Make sure they're cleaned up and ready for departure. Not those horrid cat men though," she continued, tossing her head to one side in disgust. "Commander Betaas may do with them as she wishes."

"Of course you dear shall command the squadron," She continued, "Have you selected your companions yet?"

"Yes Admiral," Aileea replied. "I would like Ensign Janeea, Ensign Taileea, and Senior Sergeant Tobeia to accompany me back to the capitol."

"I can't guarantee them commissions," the Admiral stated, but I'm sure providence will guide us. You, of course, I have selected as an officer in the Department of Security in the Imperial Guard." She stopped to wipe the sweat from her forehead. "I would like to take a short nap before heading back to the capitol, Commander?"

"You may use my quarters Mam," Commander Betaas answered, "it is small but comfortable. Captain Hodeea will escort you." She watched in relief as the Admiral left with Captain Hodeea.

"Thank you Ensign Aileea," Commander Betaas stated. "Even though you have been here only a short time I shall miss you. You will be a fine officer someday I'm sure."

"Thank you Mam," Aileea replied, turning to look at the captives. "What are you going to do about the missing cat men?"

"I'll wait until the Admiral's party has left then I will conduct a detailed search of the area. I have no doubt that we'll find them within a few hours. May I give you some advice?"

"Why, yes Mam."

"Don't trust the Admiral. I know it's not proper for an officer to say things about her superiors, but Admiral Laleea is not an officer in the true sense, she is a politician and she also uses young women for other things, if you get my meaning. Be very careful of her."

"Thank you," Aileea replied. "I grew up in the capitol so I have a very good idea what kind of commission the Admiral has in mind for me. There are limits to what an officer has to do Mam, and I know those limits, both legal, and political. If I'm not so bold, may I give you some advice mam?"

The Commander looked at her sharply for a second, and then smiled. "Yes Ensign, I'm not too old to learn."

"Don't trust Captain Hodeea Mam. It is well rumored in the mess that she was behind the disappearance of the captive, and other things."

"I know that Ensign, I've had my eye on her and a few of her shifty friends for some time now but she's good at covering her trail. And, a bit of information which may please you, I had the Military Police guards transferred with letters of explanation to their new Commander. I also didn't believe their guilt."

"Thank you for trusting me Mam."

"You'll do fine Ensign," Commander Betaas smiled, turning to address Lieutenant Deleea. "I want those captives cleaned and ready for travel immediately Lieutenant, any questions?"

Aileea left to inform her friends of the great news and to give them time to pack their meager possessions.

The entire garrison was still standing-to, and would stay that way until the Admiral's party left. Standing-to simply meant to stay in formation but not at a stiff position of attention.

"Looks like they're taking us out early," Gary remarked, as a squad of guards marched up to the gate.

"I have a bad feeling that we're being transferred to either another garrison or to their capitol," replied Monday. "I think that old bird we just saw decided she wanted a new batch of slaves and we're it."

Instead of taking the captives back to the underground prison cell, the guards marched them behind a fenced in area beneath what appeared to be a large water tower. They then started making signals indicating the captives were to undress. Chris looked at Monday with fear and near panic in his eyes.

"I don't think they have us here for that purpose," he reassured Chris. "I think they want to give us a bath."

They stood, stubbornly refusing to remove their clothing. After ten minutes of yelling by a young officer, she finally gave up and ordered the guards to turn the water hoses on them. The Vikings did not like the idea, a bath to them was something only women did occasionally, but Monday and the rest enjoyed the heavy pressure from the water hoses.

"Uniform's starting to smell to high heaven anyway," General Zanik said, turning his backside towards the stream of water and bending over. Monday was satisfied that they did not force them to remove their clothing, if so, they may have forced new tunics or something on them and he wanted to keep his belt knife which could also double as a spear point in a bind.

From the wash area the guards marched them to a corner of the field and ordered them into sturdy leather harnesses with ring attachments on them. They untied their hands and looped them through a ring on the chest harness then retied them but left their feet tied with the short walking straps. They were then separated into groups of three and a stout rope laced through the top loop of each harness which extended about a foot above their heads. After this was accomplished they were ordered to sit down on the grass and wait. Guards were posted in a circle around them.

About an hour later they heard the flapping of powerful wings and looked up to see giant birds landing next to each group of three. The stout ropes were passed through a ring on the breast harness of the birds and the captives ordered to stand.

"Looks like three of us to a bird," Henri remarked.

"Just hope these flying buzzards can carry six hundred pounds," General Zanik remarked, looking at the prospect with alarm. "Never did volunteer to go airborne. Only thing comes out of the sky is bird shit and......" He didn't finish his remark, realizing that Monday was an airborne jump master.

They heard the loud roar of trumpets and suddenly the giant birds took to the air. It didn't appear as if they were straining at all.

"God almighty!" General Zanik yelled, as the ground suddenly dropped beneath them. He closed his eyes in fear of the sudden height as the birds gained altitude.



© Copyright 2015 Oldwarrior (oldwarrior at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2056961-Rebels-Revenge--Chapter-15