*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2057654-I-See-Little-People
Rated: ASR · Fiction · Entertainment · #2057654
A young Irishman's encounter with the stuff of legends.
Duncan Shayhan opened one bloodshot eye and looked at his surroundings in the semidarkness he thought he could make out the thatched roofs of a group of a cluster of houses in the distance, saw people walking about among them, he tried to move but found himself unable to budge so he lay there face pressed into the moist earth. He remembered leaving Dempsey's Pub just after last call and as he was heading back toward his house he had a full bladder so he had walked into the bush to relieve himself but had somehow gotten turned around and stumbled deeper into the wood.

He struggled again, this time hearing a shrill whistle from behind him caused those around the distant buildings to turn in his direction and start toward him maybe they could help him up and point him back to the path, or not. The leader stopped right before reaching him and Duncan who had managed to turn his head so his chin was resting on the ground found that the man standing in front of him fully erect was looking him dead in the eyes and could not have been more than 7 inches tall. He wore a crown and an emerald green doublet, he was without a doubt the leader of this group.

Leader: “Good evening Boyo! And what brings you to Heather Glenn Glade this fine evening?”

Duncan: “12 pints o' Ginnis, the call of nature and a terrible sense of direction when I'm in me cups, Your Majesty.”

Leader: Boil me in oil, Boys we have an honest man here1”
“What name do ye go by?

Duncan “Duncan, your majesty Duncan Shayhan.”

Leader: It's not “your majesty” that would be me father King Bryan, I am Prince Cullin O'Connor the regent of this area. Come Duncan Shayhan be our guest for this evening. It isn't often we get visitors here in the glade.”

The little man waved his hand and Duncan felt the bonds that held him evaporate as the man before him seemed to grow taller before his eyes, no he was growing smaller as the grass in which he had been laying was suddenly up to his waist and he could see clearly that what heat first mistaken for thatched roofs in a distance were indeed mushroom caps on thick stalks. Prince Cullin waved his hand and a door opened and they entered a winding passage that led to a brightly lit chamber where tables sagged under the weight of food and drink while young women rushed around clearing empty plates and refilling tankards with nut brown ale. At one end of the hall a raised platform stood where a group of musicians played continuously for the diners.

Duncan: “This is so different than the pub I just left Prince Cullin, There was food and drink there as well but the faces were all sullen and somber everyone here seems to be enjoying themselves and every bite they take.

Prince Cullin:”Mortals seem to find work drudgery they bog themselves down hating it, we also work hard but we take pleasure in the work we do and thus are invigorated by it then we have the energy to play as hard as we work. Also mortals seem to see tie work to their self worth and if they are not praised for simply doing the job they are already being paid to do they feel that they are unappreciated when that is most often not the case and then they tend to get sloppy and careless, naturally when the quality of work starts to slip someone is bound to notice and say something and they think that only their faults are noticed.”

Duncan: “Unfortunately this is true, I myself have had such thoughts recently. To tell the truth that is why I was drinking so heavy this very night however; you have given me much to think about.”

Prince Cullin: “Well enough of this heavy talk eat, drink and enjoy yourself the night is young and this is how we celebrate the end of a good weeks work.”

The rest of the night was filled with eating drinking dancing and singing and Duncan Shayhan couldn't remember feeling so good since he was a child. At some point during the night Prince Cullin had given him a silver signet ring with three small green stones as leaves of a shamrock telling him that it was a symbol of their friendship but that was about the last thing he remembered until he woke up on his front step the next morning. He would have thought it had been a dream were it not for the silver ring snugly on the little finger of his left hand.

It was the first Saturday in recent memory that he had not spent the first half of the day nursing a splitting headache and he busied himself around the house cleaning and making neglected repairs. After lunch he put on a clean shirt and hired a cart to drive to the next town to visit his mother whom he only saw on holidays normally and they spent a pleasant afternoon while did a few repairs to her home n helped her in the garden before heading home.

Monday morning he made it a point to say something complimentary to each of his fellow workers and so it went for several weeks then about three months after his first encounter he was back on the path from Dempsey's with a loaded wheel barrow, he walked into the brush and imitated the high pitched whistle he had heard that first night. A rustling in the brush told him he had been heard. “Who is there?” a voice challenged.

Duncan: “Duncan Shayhan with a present for Prince Cullin. Can you take it to him?”

Voice: “Can't leave my post but I will send for someone who can, wait here.

It only took a few minutes and there was more rustling in the bushes and suddenly Duncan felt himself starting to shrink once more.

Duncan: Prince Cullin is that you?”

Prince Cullin “Aye Boyo. Ye didna think I would let ye slip off without sayin' 'ello did ye?”
And I kin smell it from here, that is Dunphy's, I hope you didn't break a bottle that would be a sin.. ”

Duncan: “No sin here my friend what you smell is seeping through the wood. It is right up there on the wheel barrow.”

Prince Cullin “Saints be merciful man that is a 200 liter barrel, you trying to kill this old man? Ian go open the great oak!”

Ian: “Immediately your highness!”

Prince Cullin “Come on Duncan Shayhan you're with me.” The prince raised his hand and the two floated into the air and were soon perched atop the barrel, he motioned again and the barrel itself begin to rise. He moved his arm forward and the barrel took off like a rocket the prince turned to see Duncan sitting both hands gripping the steel barrel hoop and his shirt tied securely around his eyes.
Prince Cullin: “Does being at height bother you that much?”

Duncan: “Not at all your highness however: I remember little of the time I wound up in the glen the first night and I think it best if it stays that way. I am still a mortal and still prone to doing stupid things when I have had a bit too much to drink. I would not tell anyone intentionally about this place when I am sober as there are those who might think me daft, but something might slip out while I am drinking, as who would not be proud of the fact that his friend is prince of the wee folk. And there are still those who would try and trap you and your people to force you you to grant their wishes. If I don't know exactly where to go then I am less likely to lead them here by accident.”

Prince Cullin. “I see, If I were to grant you, your fondest wish what would that be?”

Duncan: I have not a lot in common with the folks I know but I have learned from you how to be happy in my work and how to spread that among my coworkers and to appreciate those close to me. In return my lot in life has become much more pleasant. On top of that you have welcomed me into your home and called me your friend has any man the right to ask for more than that of another?”

Prince Cullin: “You are indeed a strange mortal Duncan Shayhan but I am proud to call you my friend. We are here you can take off the blindfold.”

They were in front of the huge old oak tree which towered over the glade but a door in the trunk opened wide and the barrel sailed in and descended to rest on a newly built cradle the workmen were just finishing up right next to where the musicians were playing a lively jig.

Prince Cullin: Now let us have some of this fine whiskey to start the evening. A tray was produced with crystal glasses and drinks were passed around the room after the first round Prince Cullen called the man called Ian to him.

Prince Cullin: “Go relieve Evan for a bit I need to talk to him and I am sure he would feel slighted if he missed out on this fine whiskey.”

Ian: “He would for a fact your highness.” he grinned broadly and departed.

Minutes later a broad shouldered young man entered and came directly to where they were sitting.

Evan: “You wished to see me your highness?” The prince handed the man a glass and told him to sit down. Duncan recognized his voice as the unseen voice in the forest.

Prince Cullin: “Although you two have met a couple of times already you have never been properly introduced. Duncan Shayhan this is Captain Evan Killigan commander of our security forces that guard Heather Glenn Glade. Evan this is my friend Duncan Shayhan” The two men rose and shook hands.

Evan: “I must apologize as it was I who bound you the last time you were here, I did not know you were a friend of his highness.”

Duncan: “You have nothing to apologize for, as the last time I had not yet met his highness and I was just a wandering drunk who might have, left unchecked done serious damage to the glen. Or worse yet from my point of view continued to wander beyond the glen and never met the prince at all.”

Prince Cullin: “From time to time Duncan may wish to come here and he will likely come to your post. The thing is that being mortal he wishes not to know the exactly where the glade is. So let your people know that they may be asked to guide him blindfolded, his decision not mine.

Duncan from now on when you enter the forest kiss the stones in your ring. You will become invisible to other humans and you won't leave a track even in fresh snow.

Evan before you go back get a flask and fill for each man on duty including yourself.”

Evan Grinning broadly: “As you command, highness!”

The rest of the night went pretty much as the first visit eating drinking and making merry Duncan waking at home this time in his own bed and feeling great.

It was a Friday evening Duncan had come in from work fixed his supper and taken a bath and started the water for tea when the knock came at his front door. The figure in his doorway was impressive tall, slender with silky black hair that even in a braid hung four inches below her waist, skin as clear and white as the finest porcelain and the eyes, oh those eyes an iridescent blue the likes of which he had never seen.

Duncan finally regained his composure long enough to stammer, “Can I help you?”

Visitor: “Could you' the wheel came off my cart a ways down the road and I am supposed to meet a Mrs. Murphy at the apothecary at 6:30, but with my cart broken down I shall never make it. I see by your clock it is 6:00 already.”

Duncan: “I will drive you into town drop you in time for your meeting, go back down the road and see what can be done about your cart. If I can repair it I will bring it to the apothecary if not I will drop it at Fitzpatrick's Smithy. The problem is that Fitzpatrick may not be back in before Monday.”

Visitor: “That will be fine as I have taken room at the boarding house. I am an herbalist but an artist as well and regardless of my meeting, planned to spend the weekend painting locally.”

Duncan: ”Ill get the cart, by the way my name is Duncan Shayhan.”

Visitor: “An honor sir, I go by Margaret Mary Shannon”`

Margaret Mary: “I'll bet 'Twas the wee folk's mischief that caused the wheel to come off of my cart back in that grove.”

Duncan: “What makes you think that? Why would the wee folk concern themselves with someone who has done them no harm?”

Margret Mary: “I have herd that they are a spiteful lot who attack people just for sport.”
Duncan: “Surely if the wee folk do exist they have lives of their own and have little time to spend vexing mortals for no reason.”

Margaret Mary: “You may be right come to think of it those who claim to have been abused by the wee folk, do always seem to be the schemers and connivers.”
Duncan dropped the girl at her destination then drove back to the spot where her cart stood at the roadside. Having satisfied himself that the locking pin which held the nut had simply rusted away he drove out what remained of the old pin replaced the wheel, tied her horse to the back of his cart and dropped it as promised.

The next day at his mothers this mystery woman was all he could talk about as he was preparing to leave she handed him a basket.

Kate: “She, likes nature, picnic.”

Arriving home, found a note on his front door. “Mr Shayhan, I have obtained the position and will be staying in the area. Call me at Shamrock 7-7777.”

Duncan closed his eyes tightly against the harsh glare of the light, the figures around him all dressed in green, not the emerald of the wee folk but the washed out mint green of surgical scrubs.

“Shayhan you've got to leave those psychedelic mushrooms alone, the third time in two months we've pumped your stomach, Dancing naked on the Williamsberg Bridge, cops chased you half way cross Brooklyn.
© Copyright 2015 Night Quill (rozwell at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2057654-I-See-Little-People