*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2057848-How-to-win-at-a-job-interview
by Dazza
Rated: E · Article · Other · #2057848
These hints and tips will help you to get that job you're striving for.
The first thing to remember with any job interview is that they like what they see on paper otherwise they would not be interviewing you.

Make sure you do extensive research on the company that is interviewing you. This will work greatly in your favor, the main reason is they know you're dedicated and will go the extra mile. It also helps when the interviewer asks such questions as "why do you want to work for us?" this is your chance to showcase what you know and of course will get you some extra credit.

Always arrive for a job interview at least 5 minutes early, this extra time gives you time to regain composure and to have one last look at your CV. Remember the company will ask you questions which may be clearly explained on your CV they just want to make sure you are the person that wrote it.

***OFF TOPIC TIP**** if you put you enjoy reading as one of your hobbies on your CV at least be able to describe the last book you read in detail****

What you wear and personal presentation is important, you can have great qualifications but if you turn up to the interview looking scruffy the chances are they will ask you politely to leave the building. Shiny shoes for men and a nice clean suit is always a winner. There is nothing wrong with having a beard but make sure for the interview it is well groomed. One mistake lots of people make is wearing an overwhelming amount of aftershave or perfume this can be very off putting for the interviewer so give the scent time to disperse a bit before you enter.

The way you walk through the door says a lot about you if your one of these people who opens it a little and then pokes your head through makes the interviewer think that you are timid and lack self confidence. However at the same time if you swing the door open and barge your way through this shows arrogance. The best way is to open the door gently and get eye contact with your interviewer and extend a casual hello greeting, don't turn your back to the interviewer as you close the door this shows an adequate level of self confidence. once you reach the interviewer offer your hand for a handshake and thank them for the opportunity to talk with them.

A seat will normally be set for you to sit on and more often then not will be positioned directly facing the interviewer, politely ask the interviewer if you can move the chair, once they say that's fine turn it to a slight angle to them this makes any seating position you're in seem less confrontational. Place both hands upon one of your legs showing neutrality, don't slouch in the chair because this shows laziness.

remember the interviewer has made a choice as to whether they like you or not within around 10 seconds of you entering the room.

should the interviewer ask the classic question "tell me a little about yourself" they are not asking for your life history they want to know about your motivations and past experiences which will give them an indication of what kind of worker you are.

STAR - remember this as this principle proves very valuable in interviews, should you be asked about past experiences in the workplace use a STAR story which stands for -

S- Situation .... This is where you set the scene
T- Task ...... What was the task that needed to be completed
A- Action ....... What action did you take
R- Result ...... What was the outcome

you may use many Star stories throughout the interview because it lets them know past performance.

Never talk negatively about past employers this does not look good try to treat the subjects about them in a neutral kind of way.

when asked do you have any questions make sure you ask some, because this makes them see that you are; Interested in the company or the role and that you want to learn more ad don't ask about money or breaks because this makes you look shallow and lazy.

If there is a panel conducting the interview talk to all of them not just one and a lot of this has to do with eye contact because in a case where there is a panel they jointly make the decision whether to hire you or not.

When leaving the interview shake hand where appropriate and thank the interviewer for their time.
© Copyright 2015 Dazza (dazza001900 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2057848-How-to-win-at-a-job-interview