*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2057970-Way-to-Survival
Rated: E · Short Story · Animal · #2057970
This story is about two surviving wolf pack who need to get out of the way of hunters.
In the dense Shadowed Forests of the Dark Mountains there lived two wolf packs. The pack on the far South side of the Cascata River called themselves the Lost Silence Pack. The pack on the opposite side of the river were the River Depths Pack. The two packs have been fighting year after year, generation after generation. Each pack telling there pups everything but good about the other, but they did not know what was coming for them both. Human hunters started coming one by one picking off the deer, rabbits, and other foods in the territories of the wolves. The animals started disappearing rapidly from the Dark Mountain range. It couldn't have been worse timing that Keeko, the alpha female of the Lost Silence Pack, was giving birth to twins. They were both boys, she named one Akeno, which means beautiful, and the other she named Amanaki, which means hope. Keeko, which means blessing, was worried that her pups wouldn't even last a week with the loss of all the food. She feared for their tiny little lives. Snap, the alpha male, order the betas and everyone to go hunt and bring back food for Keeko so she could feed her pups. Shakarri ,which means hunter, led the rest of the pack to the hunting grounds to hopefully bring back an elk, or at least a rabbit.
The River Depths Pack was also on their way to the hunting grounds unaware they were accompanied by the Lost Silence Pack. Food was low and there was not enough room for the both of them. Dayton, (which means light) the alpha male of the River Depths Pack, saw a small herd of elk that he planned on catching until he saw the other pack targeting the same animal on the other side. Dayton sent Argi, Kiran, and Kirie ,his two sisters and brother whose names also mean light, to distract the other pack while the rest of them attempt to take down the prey. Dayton has to act fast if he wants to take down this prey and keep it. One leap could end it, but instead it created a war.
The two packs were now face to face, and the elk were too far away and out of sight. The River Depths Pack had 7 pack members, the other two were the only surviving pup of the winter who was called Bella, and Bella's mother Mara, which means death. The Lost Silence pack only had 6. The only ones not there were Keeko and the pups. They may have been outnumbered, but lets hope they make up for it with strength. Khideo, the beta wolf of the Lost Silence Pack, was the first to charge. Khideo hurdled himself at Amzi, which means strong. Amzi was not quick enough to get out of they way and was caught by Khideo's jaws. Khideo sat there clutched to Amzi's throat trying to hold him down. Amzi tried standing up with Khideo still latched on and thrust him up against a rock. Khideo slid down the solid dense rock. The sound of his bones cracking against the cold hard surface of the rock sent chills down everyone's back and emotional pain to all the wolves of The Lost Silence pack there at the scene. Amara, the alpha female of the River Depths Pack, howled everyone together and they all fled. Left alone at the horrific scene was Dakota watching over her brother as he lay there on the frigid winter ground. Khideo attempted to get up, but fell right back down. Dakota ran over and lifted her brother's limp body back up.
When Khideo and Dakota returned to the den site, everyone helped him into the cave to rest. "Is he going to be okay?" asked Dakota. "He has a broken paw and a broken rib, but he will be fine it'll just take time. Meanwhile we need to figure out what to do about this and how to get food." answered Snap, who is the alpha male. "How are we supposed to bring back food for him and Keeko when there's barely enough for all of us?" Shakarri reminded Snap. "Keeko, Snap, hurry come here" said Melody. "There's lone wolves stealing food!" "Everyone hurry, get them!" said Snap. Everyone except Khideo, Keeko, and the pups suddenly rushed towards where the pack food was kept. Food was scarce and hard to get especially with two packs around, they had to hurry if they wanted the pack to survive. They couldn't just let it go and get taken so easily. They had to fight for it. Snap was last to arrive and didn't know if they had caught the lone wolves or not. "Well where are they?" inquired Snap. "There were three, but two got away with some of the food. We caught this one though, and she got some herself too." Dakota told Snap. "What are we going to with with her?" Stardust asked the pack. "We're not going to kill her are we?" asked Melody. "Well of course not, but we have to do something with her." Snap told the pack. " We can invite her into the pack, we can use some that's good at hunting and is silent. Whats your name lone wolf?" Stardust asked the lone wolf. "My name is Honovi, it means strong, my mother wanted me to grow up and become alpha but she was killed by a hunter." Honovi said. "Well you can join our pack, but if you do anything against the pack you will be thrown to the other packs and we'll see what they do to you." Snap agreed.
After hearing what happened to the Lost Silence Pack, Dayton and Amara were worried about the safety and strength of the pack. Bella, the packs only pup that survived the winter, could be in trouble. Bears, hunters, coyotes, and hunters could all harm her, she could be in trouble. "We need to travel to the other side of Dark Mountain where there's more food and no hunters" Dayton said worriedly. "The way there is too dangerous for the pup, and Amzi is still wounded from what the member of the Lost Silence Pack did to him, they could get killed. Our pack is just too small for traveling." Amara reminded Dayton. "Well what else can we do? We have to go somewhere that we can live and create generations without them being in danger." said Dayton. "But we might not even make it half way across Dark Mountain. Our pack can't handle it alone. I still don't like the idea of Bella being in danger." said Amara. "Well there is one solution" said Dayton "we can convert our pack with the Lost Silence Pack, and then we'll have the protection we need." Dayton said hopefully. "And how are we going to do that without getting killed?" Amara asked. "I can have everyone in the pack hide in the bushes to help if a fight begins. I can meet with Snap at the Cascata River where our territories overlap, we just need to send someone to tell Snap to meet there." Dayton said to trying to convince Amara. "Fine but if anything goes wrong we have to make sure Bella stays alive." said Amara willingly. So Dayton told Kiran to go to the Cascata River and howl for a member of the Lost Silence Pack. Kiran did what he was told, and went to the river where he found Keeko drinking from it. Kiran whimpered to let Keeko know he was there. She quickly looked up surprised to see a member of the River Depths Pack. "I was sent here by Dayton to set up a meeting for him and Snap. He wants to talk about our packs and going somewhere with no hunters and more food on that's on the other side of Dark Mountain, but we can't do it alone. We need your help." Kiran informed Keeko. Keeko was surprised by this question. She did not know what to do or if it was a trick. "I'll tell Snap to meet Dayton here at dawn in two days, but you must not bring any other members of your pack, he must come alone. We will have Snap come alone too." said Keeko.
When Kiran returned to the packs den site he told the news to everyone, and that Dayton could not bring anyone else. Amara was not happy to here this, but Dayton was still going along with it, it was the only thing that could help the pack. Now that the meeting was set and everything was okay for now, all they had to do was wait. That day past very quickly, and a new day started. The pack was doing fairly well. By the end of the day the pack was tired and hungry for they did not catch anything and the food level had lowered. It was almost time for the packs to unite.
Now it's the morning and the two alpha males are heading to the Cascata river. Snap was first to arrive patiently waiting for Dayton to arrive. Dayton came walking down the trail heading towards the river. "So you wanted to speak with me?" said Snap. "Yes i did, the food is becoming scarce, lone wolves are stealing food I've heard, and its becoming too dangerous for our pack pups and the wounded wolves. More and more hunters are coming, and we need a safe place to go." said Dayton. "so why did you want to talk to me?" asked Snap. "We need help, we want to travel to the other side of Dark Mountain where there are no hunters and much more food, but the distance and trip is far too dangerous for our small pack that has a pup and a wounded wolf. I need your help." said Dayton. "Well how am i suppose to help? We have 2 pups and a wounded member." said Snap. "We can convert our packs to one, and we will be strong enough to travel to the other side of the mountain. Our packs can get more food and more protection and the trip won't be nearly as dangerous." Dayton told Snap. "Well it doesn't seem like a bad idea, but how will we get our packs to agree?" Snap asked. "My pack already knows and is on my side." Dayton informed Snap. "Well I'll figure out something, meet me here tomorrow." said Snap.
Snap came back to the pack den site, and told Keeko how it went. He convinced the Lost Silence Pack it was a good idea and that it was not a trick. The only thing left to do was to venture to the the other side of the mountain with what was once an enemy, but now part of his own. The trip was of course risky, but it was the only way for all the wolves to survive. Snap led his pack to the Cascata river and met up with the River Depths Pack. They all began their way to there new home. Amzi and Khideo were a little hesitant at first sine what happend at the elk hunting grounds, but eventually they playing like they were brothers, or new each other their whole life. Keeko was at the back of the pack making sure no one got left behind, and keeping an eye on Amanaki, Akeno, and Bella, while Amara was in the front and leading the way. About half way there the group was tired and hungry so they went to go hunt for elk. With a pack this big it was very easy to come up with a game plan and take down some elk. It was the first good meal they've had for weeks. While enjoying they meal the were all sharing together, Shakkari smelt an unfamiliar smell. She abruptly got up to see what it was. She new it was not some sort of prey. This made her very worried. She looked around and in the distance she saw a hunter. He was aiming strait towards the pack. Shakkari warned everyone to get up and run. The hunter aimed his gone at Khideo. Amzi jumped in the way to save his friend. POW!! A bullet flew right into Amzi's chest. Khideo was shocked to see what Amzi had done for his friend. The rest of the pack came crashing down on the hunter tearing him apart limb by limb, as Khideo sit there with Amzi's cold limp body. Amzi as he lay there still had enough strength to say "I'm sorry". Amzi's heart started beating slower and slower until it was gone. The pack returned with blood of the hunter's dripping from there mouths. "He's gone" cried Khideo trying to clean up the wound.
The pack of eighteen wolves, once nineteen, buried the body of Amzi at the new den site. Khideo will never forget the last words he heard come out of Amzi's mouth. He never told anyone what he had said before he died. Khideo was the only one who had heard what his best friend had said that day, when he saved his life. The End! If you liked this story please tell me I might make a second part to this one.
© Copyright 2015 xXx_Cowgirl_xXx (cocoakitty242 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2057970-Way-to-Survival