*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2058064-Lets-Make-a-Deal---Chapters-1-3
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Fiction · Young Adult · #2058064
This is the rough draft of a story that is in progress. I am looking for feedback.
The Note:
The startling pop made Lydia drop her bowl of cereal. The crash of breaking pottery and the splatter of spilling milk created the soundtrack to her confusion. Lydia looked around for the source of the loud pop. It sounded just like a cork coming out of a wine bottle. Lydia hadn’t been opening many bottles of wine at the ripe age of fourteen, but her parents used to enjoy wine and Lydia remembered the sound. Lydia turned to face a floating letter. It was a cream colored sheet of paper and curled slightly at both ends. The words parchment and scroll came to Lydia’s mind as she examined this floating letter. She’d been doing magic on her own for years, so the levitational state was less surprising than the pure existence of a letter to her; who would send it? Daddy called, when he remembered, Mommy was gone, and Lydia had no other friends or family. Even if she did, she knew they couldn’t do this.
Finally, Lydia got tired of musing and snatched the letter out of the air.
Ms. Lydia Denasi,
The letter began in vivid purple ink.
It is my duty to inform you of certain violations of magical law that have occurred at your address, 135 Dewey St. Chelsea, Mi. While these violations are not new, as of August 3rd, 2015, a student in your home turned 14 years old. As you may know, all such aged students must either attend a school, academy or institution accredited by the Magical Education Office or forfit their magical powers. Please submit your intentions for the school aged mage in your home today. We can provide further information on choosing a school, academy, or institution, if needed. We look forward to your prompt response to this matter.
Sincerely,
Modoma Vingarble

Lydia laughed out loud. “There are others?” Then she frowned slightly, “That wasn’t a great way to invite me into this world of theirs, but at least I get to attend a school for my people with my gift!”
Lydia’s parents had not had magic, but they had been deeply loving parents encouraging her gifts even though they didn’t understand those powers. When Lydia’s mother died, her father had decided to travel the world; something he and Lydia’s mother had always wanted to do together.
Lydia hadn’t wanted to leave her home behind and knew that it was protecting her that kept her mother and father from travelling. Her father kept the lights on, the house paid, and food in the fridge for Lydia and Lydia went to school, kept the house clean, and kept in contact with her father. Lydia’s schoolmates and their parents frowned on the degree of freedom Mr. Denasi gave his daughter, but Lydia achieved great grades at school and was well behaved.
Now, Lydia knew she wasn’t alone! There were whole schools filled with people like her. Lydia scribbled a note on the back of the paper.
Please send more information about school options! --- low cost are best.
Cheers,
Lydia D.

Lydia chortled. She released then note. The paper immediately rolled up with a snap and with a pop, it was gone. Lydia began to clean up her mess. The warm tingle thrummed in her veins as the magical words that were as natural to her being as her own body flowed from her lips, shaping and molding a new reality from the energies and building blocks of normal life. The bowl reassembled as the milk and cereal raced to refill the bowl as dirt and grim were left behind. Lydia scooped up the reunited bowl and crossed to the table.
“Time for breakfast,” Lydia said to herself as she plopped down in her favorite chair by the window. The warm sun playing across her arms and back as she gleefully polished off her breakfast. Just as she was finishing, a pile of pamphlets appeared on the table. They were made of the same, or very similar, creamy paper as the earlier letter. Lydia pulled the stack to her. There was a letter on top of the stack that had the purple scrawling print of Ms. Vingarble.
“That was fast!!” Lydia exclaimed as she began to read the response.
Ms. Lydia Denasi,
Thank you, kindly, for your quick response. Enclosed are the options available to your student. These are the schools that still have openings available for students this upcoming fall. Low cost options, Publically funded options, and scholarship options are listed below by category.
Publically Funded Educational Facilities
Mid=Central Mage Co-Op
Midwestern School of Magical Education
Low Cost Education Facilities
Diogan Institute for Boys
Ms. Quillstella’s Academy for Girls
Goldstien’s Co-educational Academy for Magical Progress
Prestigious Educational Facilities with Scholarship availability
Michabo Tribal Institute
Salem Academy
Wezzelcush’s Sorcerer Institute
Digner’s Mage Academy
Please write back promptly to inform us of your decision. If you choose to apply for scholarship at one of the more prestigious educational facilities, they will automatically inform us of your intention. Therefore, there will be no need to write us directly. We wish you an educational school year.
Sincerely,
Modoma Vingarble

Lydia looked over the list, then she poured over the pamphlets. She decided that if she was going to go to school for magical learning and decant her time into the cup of their program, it needed to be one of the best. Otherwise, she would just be wasting her talent! There were several prestigious educational facilities with scholarships available. Salem Academy seemed very interesting. It really cashed in on the historical issues in Salem, Massachusetts with its marketing. However, Salem was further from home than Lydia wanted to go. Digner’s Mage Academy was more local and prided itself on progress and creativity. Lydia hoped that there was more to that than just fancy talk. As she looked over more of the paperwork from Digner’s, Lydia realized that the scholarship application was due tomorrow!
Lydia made the decision to apply to Digner’s immediately, diving head first into the application. She felt incredibly out of her league. She put a smile on her face and assured herself that all first years must feel this way. It’s all so new after all. Lydia was certain that all first years were like her, finding out about the magical world existed just before entering school. She read the questions and wonder what ‘tears of unveiling actually did and what toadstools were actually for. She considered whether fairies were actually real or if the questions about them were tricks.
“Well,” Lydia thought, “Creativity, ingenuity and honesty will get you everywhere!” She answered her questions with strings of sentences that reflected her thoughts.
Tears of Unveiling must be a liquid of some sort…Made from tears and unveils something or maybe it unveils tears or maybe it unveils something that makes people cry! Toadstools are stools for toads of course! Fairies may or may not exist…it depends on whether you are looking for them.
Lydia finished the form and let it roll back up. The form dissolved before her eyes. A crisp, white piece of parchment replaced the form.
Your scholarship application has been received, Ms. Lydia Denasi. The Department of Magical Education will be informed of your intentions. Scholarships will be granted based on aptitude, need, and availability of scholarship funds. Scholarship recipients will be noticed in 2 days. Enjoy your summer.
Sincerely,
Office of the Scholarship Counselor
Mrs. Janet Divisa

Unlike earlier, this response did not have a personal feel to it. Lydia thought it seemed automated. It was exciting to think that the magical world also had automated systems that could respond immediately with programmed responses. Everything Lydia did with magic needed consistent concentration to maintain the effect. She couldn’t wait to learn how to set up programmed systems that didn’t take her complete concentration!
Lydia’s next two days passed slowly as time does when you’re waiting. Finally, on the morning of the second day, a letter arrived on her kitchen table in what had become the usual manner. It was a crisp, white scroll with crimson writing.
Ms. Lydia Denasi,
Your scholarship application has been approved. Your registration paperwork with the Office of Student affairs has also been completed. After this approval letter has been read in its entirety, your acceptance packet will arrive. School begins on September 2nd, 2015, but all students are expected to arrive between August 28th and 31st.
Scholarship Awarded:
Full Tuition, Supply Costs, Meals and Board
Scholarship Requirements:
- Maintain a 3.5 GPA
- Participate in one extracurricular activity
o Must be registered in such group within one month of school commencement
- Remain in good behavioral standing with the academy
Thank you for applying to Digner’s Mage Academy. We are thrilled to offer this opportunity. Have a great school year.
Sincerely,
Office of the Scholarship Counselor
Mrs. Janet Divisa

Lydia sat the note down on the table. With the popping sound she had become familiar with, the note was replaced with a thicker stack of papers. They were the same crisp white parchment, but the words were in plain black ink.
DIGNER’S MAGE ACADEMY
We at Digner’s Mage Academy are thrilled to inform you, Lydia Denasi, of your acceptance to our prestigious academy. This year students are welcome to arrive any time between August 28th and 31st. If you wish to take the bus, it will arrive at your home for pick up at 10am on August 31st, arriving at the school grounds that same evening. Directions for alerting the bus are enclosed. Additional documents included with this acceptance letter are your book list, materials list, class schedule, and bus ticket.
As a scholarship recipient, you will also find the first installment of your scholarship funds for supply purchases.
We look forward to an educational school year.
Always yours,
Office of Student Affairs
Mr. Quidley Schip
Digner’s Mage Academy

Lydia immediately tore open her books and materials lists. She was so excited to see what she needed for classes. She shoved a cloth pouch aside and it gave forth a metallic jingle of coin. Her books all had crazy names like ‘Beginning Incantation’, ‘Beginner’s Guide to Magical Pharmaceuticals’, and ‘Brigg’s Abbreviated History of Magic in the New World.’ Lydia couldn’t wait to start reading them. First, she had to find out how to order and buy them. Her material list was similar, asking for mage robes in black, a wand, brass scales, and a list of strange potion ingredients.
After turning the list over, she found some suggestions for where such items could be bought. Lydia was going to need to head to Ann Arbor or Lansing to find the closest store. Lydia liked Ann Arbor better, so she decided to go there. However, she didn’t have a ride. She sighed deeply and pulled out her schedule to look it over while she thought.
}9:00am – Beginning Incantations
10:30am – Beginning Magical Pharmaceuticals
12:00pm – Lunch
1:00pm – Physical Education
2:30pm – Introduction to Botanical Alchemy
4:00pm – Introduction to Defensive Magic

Lydia wasn’t sure where her skills would fit into the classes. Was changing water to milk a beginning incantation or a magical pharmaceutical?
Lydia realized she hadn’t talked to her dad about all of this. I should have called him days ago! She thought. Lydia called him. When he answered, Lydia filled him in on everything that had happened. The other side of the line was silent for a while.
“Dad?”
“I’m so excited for you, honey! I’m so glad there are more like you. People you can form friendships with and who will know what you are. It won’t be a secret anymore. I’ll come home and give you a lift to get your things!” Her dad sounded a little distracted, but thrilled for her. They hung up and Lydia went back to review her letters and the directions.

Lydia loved to shop, of course. However, no shopping trip could compare to this. Lydia was finally going to see the world where she belonged!


A Shopping Trip:
Lydia’s father arrived a few days later. Together, they headed into Ann Arbor for supplies. The conversation in the car was a little awkward. Dad had been travelling Asia and Asia Minor in the last few months. She had received regular phone calls and updates as usual. He was really engaged with the research and activities he was doing there. Lydia knew her father loved travelling, but this new place spoke more to him than the others he had visited. While her life was changing, most of the conversation was directed towards her dad’s activities on his journeys.
There was an old thrift shop on Miller St. that correlated with an address suggested on the back of her materials list. Lydia asked her father to wait in the more normal world while she adjusted to the new world on her own at first. She was just so used to being alone, that having him along would be awkward, and visiting a new world that she didn’t know existed a week ago was already plenty awkward. The shop was shaggy, poorly lit, and poorly stocked. An elderly woman sat snoozing behind a register. Her tall pile of purplish gray hair listing dangerously to one side.
“Excuse me?” Lydia said softly after checking the store for any other people or interesting items, hoping to wake up the woman without directly speaking to her. The woman startled awake with a snort. She cleaned her glasses, tidied her hair, and gave Lydia a glance from head to toe.
“Can I help you, Miss?” the old woman answered in a whispery voice.
Lydia thought about how to ask. She needed to be discreet; Lydia knew she could be in the wrong place. “I need to purchase books and supplies for my new school, Digner’s. I thought this might be a good place to start.” Lydia gave the woman a meaningful look, or what she hoped was a meaningful look.
The old woman smiled. “Oh, to be so young again! First year?”
Lydia nodded as a grin spread over her face. She was in the right place.
“This way, deary,” the old lady rose from her seat and started towards the back of the store. “Just call me, Ermina.”
“Pleasure to meet you, Ermina. I am Lydia.”
Ermina smiled over her shoulder and continued her shuffle towards the back of the shop. There was an ancient mural flaking off the wall. A large, painted wooden door stood in a painted wall of stone. It crawled with vines, flowers, birds, and bugs. Everything was faded with time. Ermina gave Lydia a gentle, knowing smile. “Here you are, dear. Just open it up and go on through.” Lydia gave Ermina a side look, wondering if this was a joke. “It’s a painting,” she said cautiously.
Ermina gave Lydia a wink and wandered away singing under her breath. Lydia took a deep breath. “Well, it’s not going to hurt to try.” Lydia stepped towards the door, touching the painted knob on the door. As her hand brushed the peeling paint, the warm sensation of shifting reality sizzled all around her in the air and in the tips of her fingers. The dry, cracking paint became smooth, polished wood. Beneath her fingertips, the doorknob protruded from the wall, and Lydia could feel the even, metallic surface of a real doorknob under her hand. Lydia turned the doorknob; the door opened fluidly onto a busy street.
Lydia starred through at the old cottages, interestingly dressed people, and strange wares. People glided around in robes of varying styles and shades while looking at cauldrons, broomsticks, and glass jars filled with slimy things.
“Dear?” Ermina’s voice whispered from the front of the store. “You’re letting in a draft.”
Lydia apologized and stepped into the hidden world. The door shut itself behind her. The busy bustle of people of all ages was overwhelming for a girl who had thought she was alone. An elderly woman was carefully inspecting bins of dried herbs and other strange bits and pieces stored in jars, suspended from hooks, and overflowing from baskets. The elderly lady was mumbling something to an employee who seemed displeased to be there.
Across the street, at Ireth’s Companion Bazaar, several young children were giggling at a strange fluttering creature that was moving around flashing brightly and performing acrobatics. The creature left a glowing trail behind forming stars, squares, and hearts in the air. Mewling, growling, and other bizarre sounds emanated from the open double doors.
Lydia was drawn there first, but before she could get inside, she stopped herself. “I need to prioritize. How much money do I have? How much do things cost?” Lydia opened the cloth pouch of money that came with her letters. The money was not familiar. She had many small brown coins, several silver coins, and a few glints of gold hinted at bigger golden coins deeper in the bag.
“Oh no!” Lydia sighed. “I don’t understand this money system.” She thought about going back to Ermina’s to ask her, but then she potted a large building with the striking black emblem of scales over the front doors. It was built from warm sandstone blocks. Many people were coming and going. Some of them even had cloth pouches like Lydia’s in their hands. She decided to head that way to research her money issue.
She entered the cool interior of the large sandstone building. It was a bank, as Lydia expected. There was a long line of teller windows, many of which were manned by well-dressed people. When there was an open window, Lydia hurried up to the counter where an elderly man was dressed in tidy dark green robes. His hair was silver and neatly combed. His name plate said Hernid. “Can I help you, Miss?” he asked in a matter of fact, but friendly voice.
“I got a scholarship from Digner’s Mage Academy. They sent me money for my books, but this is my first year…I don’t know how your money works,” she explained simply.
Hernid smiled kindly. “It’s my granddaughter, Lacey’s first year too! She didn’t get into Digner, though. Good job. Let me help you.” Hernid put out his hand for the cloth bag. Lydia handed it over.
Hernid dumped the coins out on the counter before him. He picked up the small penny sized brown coins. “These,” he began, “are our smallest currency coin. They are called bruns. Ten of those make one silver coin.” Hernid sat the brun down and picked up the nickel sized silver coin. “These silver ones are called suleas. Fifty of these make a gold coin.” Again, he exchanged the coin he was holding for a new one, a quarter sized gold one this time. “These gold ones are called petas. They are our largest currency and largest coin.”
Lydia was picking it up quickly. “Ok, I think I understand that, but how much do things usually cost?”
“Most things are paid for with bruns or suleas. It is very rare, especially as a student or child, to need petas. But with you just starting school, some equipment will need 1 or 2 petas. If that finishes your business, miss, other customers are waiting. With school right around the corner, we are very busy these days. Have a nice day.” Hernid waved her off cheerfully.
Lydia walked back out into the busy streets. She found a quiet café serving steaming cups of multicolored liquid. She didn’t order anything, though. Lydia pulled out her materials list. She marked necessary equipment with stars. She knew she would need to concentrate on those items first since they would be the most expensive. Next, she marked other, less expensive, essentials with circles, and left the other items unmarked. She also double checked her book list taking note of required texts and recommended supplemental books. She finally felt ready to tackle her shopping trip.
“That was some serious strategizing,” a boy’s voice said from a nearby table. “Are you preparing for war?” He gave her a quizzical look, his mouth fixed in a wry grin.
“No, I’m just planning how to spend my money for school,” Lydia said smoothly and with more confidence than she felt. The boy rose from his seat, tossing his shaggy, ear length red hair out of his eyes.
“Oh, first year too?” As Lydia nodded, the boy moved over to her table. She worked hard to contain her excitement. He was a first year, too, just like her. She began to wonder if he was also attending Digner’s. She wanted to seem cool, so she controlled her nod. She kept it as non chalantly as possible. The boy put his hand on the chair. “Mind if I sit with you?”
“Not at all,” Lydia replied calmly. She pushed the chair out for the boy. She watched him sit down murmuring a thank you. His eyes locked on hers once he was settled. Lydia couldn’t look away from his eyes. At first, they appeared to be hazel, but they were actually splattered with blue and green like an abstract painting. The pattern was so unusual in a place that was so normal. Lydia had lost her cool pretense in awe.
The boy coughed politely, “I’m Jath.”
Lydia blushed and quickly tore herself away from studying his eyes. “I’m Lydia. You don’t really look like a first year though. Are you really 14, too?”
Jath laughed. His laughter was loud, boisterous, and full of energy. It was infectious, but drew several looks from those passing by “You are one of the most straightforward people I have met. Very blunt. I like it.” He rewarded her with a crooked smile and a friendly wink. “Yes, I am 14. I’m just very…mature…for my age.” Jath looked uninterested in discussing the subject any further. He gave a quick, forced chuckle and changed the subject. “Tell you what, I’ll buy your school supplies, if you buy me lunch afters.”
Lydia gave him a perplexed look. “Really?” She was concerned that he was teasing her. She was positive that people in this new world came in all the flavors that normal people did: good, bad, and swirl. However, Lydia didn’t know if this kind of behavior was actually unusual. Maybe buying someone’s school supplies was like sharing a pudding with a budding friend in Kindergarten. Lydia wished she knew. “Are you going to the same school as I am? Digner’s?”
Jath nodded. “So what do you say?”
Lydia nodded. Saving money was a good thing, and if she was the butt of a joke, she could always just buy the supplies on her own. Lydia was just too excited to talk to someone else from her school. Her desire to get to know someone with powers like hers won out over any worries she had. Her hesitation evaporated. "Ok," she said.
Together, they started at Aunt Agatha's Wardrobe Shoppe. It was an uninteresting shop with a large variety of robes. They came in different colors, sizes, and shapes. However, Jath was quick to inform her, that only black were suitable for Digner's, before collecting his own robes with thin red trim.
"Eh, I like to bend the rules a little," he added with a grin as he bagged his robes. Lydia tried on a couple different types and picked her favorite. They moved quickly to Mage Pharmaceutical Equipment, Tools, and Supplies. It looked just like a drugstore or convenient store. When she entered, the similarities continued. Although floating candles provided softer light than fluorescent bulbs, the long, ugly shelves holding a variety of herbs, bottles, and containers filled the main space. The walls were light colored field stone instead of plaster, plastic, or wallpaper. Cauldrons of all sizes were displayed on the far wall while the rear wall held scales of every type of metal and every size. On the near wall, a display of stirring sticks, vials, and funnels caught the eye as blue and red liquid continually mixed, separated and was stirred together by a magical stirring rod. Lydia immediately went over to the display and watched the show happening without human hands. She had used magic at home all her life, but in secret. Seeing it out here in the open was unnerving and exciting. Jath put his hand on her shoulder.
"We just need a starter kit. Kil will take care of us," Jath said.
Lydia knew Jath hadn't mentioned Kil before. "Who's Kil?"
Jath shrugged. "Son of a family friend. Kil works here. Let's go to the front counter. Pharmaceutical Equip usually has starter kits all made up and prepped this time of year."
Lydia shrugged. Jath knew so much more about this world than she did. She certainly wasn't in a place to argue.
As they approached the counter, a young man with long, blonde hair pulled back into a ponytail was wiping down the counter. Jath hailed a greeting. The young man had square glasses and a very winning smile. His grey eyes sparkled as they landed on Lydia. She felt her face flush as his eyes appraised her.
"Hello, Jath. How are you and your family?" His voice was polite and inviting, but the world family was weighted slightly.
"I'm doing fine, and they are the same as always," Jath said with a dismissive tone. He clearly didn't want to talk about his family.
"And who's with you today? Who could this pretty young lady be? A cousin?"
Jath gave Kil a dark look. Lydia however was completely distracted by Kil. His eyes, which had appeared gray at first, were really a very light, unsaturated blue like a spring sky. They held her gaze like a warm handshake.
Jath pulled Lydia a little closer. "This is Lydia."
Kil reached out to shake Lydia's hand. "Hello, Lydia. I'm Kil. Assistant Manager here at Mage Pharmaceutical Equipment, Tools and Supplies. I'm happy assist you with anything you might need."
"Yea, right. He'll assist you right into the back store room, a night of tears, and a whole lot of ice cream." Jath's tone was light and teasing, but his body language was protective. He had shifted his weight to stand just in front of Lydia, separating her and Kil. "Kil," Jath said with a commanding tone, redirecting the store manager's attention away from Lydia. "Lydia's a first year, just like me. We need 2 premium starter kits."
Kil's smile had changed from a natural, warm smile to a forced grin as his attention shifted. His laugh was harsh as he reached down under the counter. As he set two wooden toolboxes on the counter, he opened their tops show 3 wooden and brass shelves and a bottom compartment. "Starter Kit Deluxe!" His voice was a perfect imitation of a TV salesman. He ran his hand along the shelves, playing Vanna White. "Perfect for the discerning student. Three shelves for ingredient bottles, jars, and other containers. Brass scales, stirring rods, and other equipment included! Magically enhanced for more space. Includes all ingredients for a level 1 Magical Pharmaceuticals or Potions course. It also includes a cauldron size 3." Finally, he broke the act. "But that doesn't fit inside. You'll have to grab one off the back wall."
Lydia chuckled at his act. "You should go into acting," she praised.
Kil brushed it off and blushed. "Or that's what the training materials say." He looked so awkward, it was cute.
Jath quickly paid for both. He picked up the toolboxes. These disappeared into his bag as well. Lydia was beginning to wonder how much is small side bag could hold! "Can you grab the cauldrons? Size 3, standard."
Lydia nodded and headed towards the cauldron wall. The sizes were well labeled; she easily grabbed 2 black basketball sized cauldrons. They felt like they were made of cast iron, but weren't nearly as heavy. Jath wasn't at the front when she returned. Kil gave Lydia a sly smile.
"I just want you to know," Kil said in a confidential sort of voice. "He's just using you to get at his grandparents. But I guess free stuff is free stuff, even if you're just his toy."

Lydia wasn't sure if Kil was messing around again, or if there was some beef between Kil and Jath. They seemed friendly enough, but the teasing she had witnessed could be from animosity instead of a playful friendship. Lydia bit her lip in thought as she left the store. Lydia wasn't sure how buying books for another person could make one's grandparents angry. Jath and Lydia stopped by the ancient looking bookstore next. They had plenty of help getting their materials, but the store was pretty mundane. As they wrapped up their shopping, Jath took Lydia to a tiny shop hidden between two large buildings. It had beautiful, antiqued stain glass windows. One window portrayed a unicorn and dragon sleeping peacefully together. The other had a phoenix bursting forth from his own ashes.
Jath began with a roguish grin. "Just so it doesn't come as a surprise, O'Dwyer is a bit strange. He's (chuckle) from Ireland...they tend to have a very different view of wands. It's not so much a tool as an extension of the user. Kind of like some artists get strange about their tools or some mages get about their older familiars. But everyone who can afford to gets their wands from him." Lydia gave him confused glance, not quiet understanding the remark about familiars. Jath waved her off. "You'll get it when you see him."
They entered the tiny shop. Row and rows of shelves containing stacks of narrow boxes lined the main path to the counter. An elderly man with a long crooked nose and scraggly grey hair looked up from where he had been packaging some long bits of wood. Lydia supposed that those must be wands.

"Hello, Mr. Mayweather. Here again?"
"No, sir, Mr. O'Dwyer," Jath began politely. Lydia noticed immediately that Jath's tone was more refined, more proper than it had been at any other time that day. His back was straight and his eyes were focused. The sloppy, punk of a boy had disappeared, replaced by a straight backed princely young man. It was interesting to watch him. Lydia couldn't help but think about how well he'd clean up. "My wand's in tip top shape. How are you doing, sir?"
The old store owner laughed roughly. "I'm doing quite well, young Mayweather. I just had lunch with your grandparents yesterday. They tell me that you are accepted to Digner's despite their fears. Of course, I never doubted you, child. Congratulations on that."
Jath nodded politely before delicately steering the direction in a more useful direction.
"This, Mr. O'Dwyer, is Lydia. She is a classmate of mine, or a soon to be classmate. She needs a wand, sir."
Mr. O'Dwyer came closer. He was a thin, wrinkled, and ruddy old man. His small, shrunken dark eyes squinted at Lydia through the gloom of the poorly lit store. "Hello, dear," He said in his rough, strong voice. With saying another word, he closed the distance between them, moving surprisingly fast for an old man. He lifted her arm with his scratchy, big hands. He felt along her muscles. He fired questions at her. He wanted to know if she was right-handed, which she was, and what her hobbies, ambitions, and relationships were like. Lydia flushed as she answered the questions as briefly as possible. This was all very personal, especially with Jath in the room. Mr. O'Dwyer's expression finally changed from one of questioning indecision to one of finality.
"Let's try this one," Mr. O'Dwyer reached to his left and slide out a slim, dull purple box from the middle of a stack, but the stack barely shifted. "Rosewood, 10", flexible, unicorn hair...give it a try."
Lydia's heart swelled with excitement as she lifted the wand. She squinted her eyes as she gave the wand a great sweeping wave, but nothing happened. Lydia's face fell. She hadn't done it right. "I'm sorry, sir. I've never worked with a --" Mr. O'Dwyer had snatched the wand out of her hand.
"Try this one!" he was pushing another one into her hand. "Peach willow, springy, 12", phoenix tail."
This time she called forth bright, hot flames that shot uncontrollably from the end of the wand. Mr. O'Dwyer tutted before thrusting a third wand into her hand. "Firewood, 11.5", springy, dragon heart string." Lydia was feeling down by this third try. She had failed pretty dramatically with the first two. She gave the wand a weak wave and sad blue sparks pooled out of the end.
"Ah ha! We have it. See how it is in tune with your emotions. Jath, watch out with this little miss. She has some spark." Lydia was pretty sure that Mr. O'Dwyer winked at Jath, but his eyes were so squinted that it was hard to tell. Jath looked like he was blushing, but with the dim light and the cramped space, it was impossible to tell. The wand was the most expensive thing they had bought all day.
Lydia waited until they were well away from the shop before she asked Jath about the price.
Jath explained "Think about the cores, dragon heart strings, phoenix tail feathers, and unicorn hairs...these are some of the most magical ingredients and aren't easy to get. Plus, you're paying for years of experience and a good show. It's worth every peta."
Lydia continued to think about the price of a wand for sometime. If it was just a tool, it didn't seem to matter how great the tool was, or at least, not 3 petas worth. She wasn't sure if she bought Jath's answer. Luckily, she wasn't paying for supplies today, so the price wasn't really her problem this year.
Jath guided them to a cafe. It was called "The Burning Crane" and was decorated with eastern art pieces. It was a well used, but clean diner. Happy Buddhas grinned at Lydia from the corners of the dinner and water fountains bubbled and gurgled around the main dining space. Very common smells greeted Lydia's nose as they found their seats. She could smell hot dogs, burgers, and fries cooking up in the kitchen. Even though the booths were filled with people in robes, occasionally being served by floating food trays instead of waitress, the cafe could have easily been in the non-mage main street flow of Ann Arbor.
After they had found seats and ordered their meal, Lydia wasted little time on small talk. She wanted some answers about Jath's family.
"Thank you so much for helping me with school supplies! I learned so much." She was ready to barge forward into her massive pile of questions, but Jath cut her off with a flashy smile and a dismissive shrug.
"I'm glad to help. My family gives me a big allowance."
"Yea, about those folks, Kil and Mr. O'Dwyer mentioned your grandparents, the...um...Mayweathers?"
Jath nodded, but didn't volunteer anything. His normal mischievous grin was replaced with a thoughtful frown.
Lydia bit her lip as she struggle with divulging Kil's conversation. She wasn't even sure if she wanted to know if she was being used. Her curiosity got the better of her. She needed to know. "Kil said something interesting about them..." she started, hoping he would volunteer some information. Lydia didn't feel comfortable prying into the life of someone who had been so generous.
"Kil will spout all sort of interesting things to a pretty face," Jath's voice was filled with bitterness. "He likes to spread rumors. My grandparents are wealthy. I live with them. I don't like talking about them. They are stuck up and strict and have expectations for me that I never intend to fulfill."
Lydia decided to let it drop for now. She was pretty sure she had pushed her luck enough for one day. They enjoyed a quiet lunch of unexciting fare. It was delivered by a floating tray and the cups refilled themselves without a waitress. Lydia studied the cups wondering what spell caused them to refill. She decided to practice when she got home.
As their empty plates floated back to the kitchen, a bill popped into existence on the table. Jath paid the bill, and they both left the dinner. As they exited into the street, their attention was drawn to a frantic man who was rushing through the street trying to ask the shop patrons questions in a loud and panicked voice. The patrons tried to move away, avoid eye contact, and flee from the man. Lydia recognized the man immediately as her face turned bright red. She turned to Jath as she brought her palm to her forehead. "I'm so sorry, I didn't realize the time. I have to go! That's my dad." She gave Jath a pleading glance as a laughing smile spread across his face. He covered his mouth to hide his snicker as he nodded ascent.
Lydia slipped off to grab her father who had officially labeled himself as a crazy person. She pulled him to a side alley. "Dad, what are you doing here?"
"Oh Lydia, thank heavens. You're safe. I worried. This place is so strange, and you'd taken so long...You...weren't in the thrift shop."
Lydia gave her dad a tender smile. He wasn't used to having to worry about her. He spent so much time in far away lands knowing she was safe in her small hometown. He didn't know how to be a dad, and it was kind of cute. Or it would be cute, if she hadn't witnessed his meltdown in the streets. She was hoping no one from her school saw that, or at least they wouldn't remember her if they did. Lydia hoped Jath wouldn't tease her for it too much.
"Dad, take a deep breath. I know it must have been stressful for you, but that scene wasn't really necessary." Lydia sighed. "How did you even get here?"
"The old lady helped me get through the door. She remembered you. I never thought your world could be this big! Have you had fun? Can I look around?" His worried expression melted away. His big eyes and excited voice were like a child in a candy store. He was a traveler and loved rare and interesting places.
Lydia smiled. "Let me show you around, Dad." Lydia showed him around. Mr. Denasi could help but ask hundreds of awkward questions before Lydia could convince him to head home.

The Trip to School:
Lydia spent the time waiting for August 31st learning about her new school and new life as best she could. At first, she was eager to open her books, but they were incredibly dull. The first chapter of 'Beginning Incantation' was about breathing techniques and sighted four other recommended reading books that were also about breathing! Spells didn't even start being taught until chapter 5 where the first spell was changing color. Lydia could already change color on just about anything; she didn't need 4 chapters on breathing, arm movement, voice, and body control to do it. She decided to pack her books away, convinced her classes would be better. Lydia passed the rest of the time practicing some of her harder spells. By the time the 31st arrived, she could almost maintain levitation without direct concentration.
Lydia woke up on the 31st with a stomach full of frogs. She was so excited, she was unusually quiet. She had packed her bags three different ways the night before. She levitated the bags out to the front lawn where her tearful father waited with some very dark toast and a bowl of mangled strawberries.
"You don't want to go to school on an empty stomach," he said weakly. Lydia was ready to be on her own again. It had been so long since her dad was home for longer than 2-4 days a couple times a year, that she wasn't used to being a daughter, and he wasn't used to being a father. He couldn't cook, but insisted on trying. He was emotional. Any mention of the school started the whimpering. Lydia loved him dearly though. She hugged him and nibbled on the toast. If she ate the strawberries with the toast, it covered up some of the burnt taste. She had magically signed her bus ticket last night to confirm her need for a ride. Lydia found herself wondering how the other students got to school. She wondered if they road brooms, teleported, or just drove regular cars.
Lydia's watch slowly ticked away the minutes. Finally, it clicked over to 10:00am. There was a loud crack in the street. Lydia looked around, trying to find the car that had backfired. When turned back to the curb in front of her house, a large blue and green bus was waiting. Lydia looked up and down the street again trying to figure out where the bus had come from, but it seemed to have appeared from thin air like the letters! Her jaw dropped open. Lydia couldn't figure out how something so big could teleport. Lydia stood there for a while looking over the bus.
"Little miss, let's go," the bus driver, an elderly man with curly, powder blue hair and kind brown eyes said. "We have schedule to keep."
Lydia nodded and reached down to grab her bags, but they weren't there. The two cases were climbing the steps on their own as they shrunk in size. Lydia gave her dad a quick hug and then followed the cases on board the bus. She was a little dazed. Too much was going on. Lydia watched her bags shrink down to purse size and store themselves beneath a chair labeled LD. Lydia looked over the bus briefly. It was much larger inside than it looked. The deep, cushioned blue bucket seats were in sets of two on either side of the main aisle way. Each seat had plenty of space. Lydia looked at her seat. It was beside a white haired girl who was staring out the window. Lydia looked over the other students as she made her way to her seat. The bus was about two thirds full. Some students sat together talking amiably. Many still sat alone, and some were sitting silently beside strangers.
The seats were incredibly comfortable. Lydia settled down in the cozy, inviting sea, then she looked over at her seat mate. The girl was slender with long, wavy white hair. The girl's robes were stunning. They were black and form fitting, however, where the sunlight fell across the robes, Lydia could see that the fabric had a subtle blue sheen and a fine peacock feather pattern. The girl was looking out the window, but Lydia felt like she needed to introduce herself.
"Hi, I'm Lydia..."
The girl turned her pale round face towards Lydia. She was stunningly pretty. Her large, deep blue eyes studied Lydia for a while. The girl looked bored, but didn't introduce herself.
"The bus takes off with a bit of a jerk. Fair warning," she said pleasantly before turning back to the window.
Lydia was puzzled at the girl's interest in the outside. Lydia hadn't had much experience with people of the mage world yet, but this girl was lackadaisical. She was more interested in the mundane world outside her window than meeting a new person. Lydia was a little hurt. She had been so excited to meet others from her school. This girl didn't even think Lydia was interesting enough to talk to.
Suddenly, Lydia was ripped out of her thoughts as the bus took off. Lydia was flung forward and then yanked deep into her seat. The girl had drawn her attention away from the window long enough to laugh at Lydia as she righted herself. The bus was now cruising along smoothly. Lydia looked out the window expecting to see her mundane world whizzing by, but there was nothing but banks of mist. If Lydia concentrated really hard, she could see houses and trees and city lights passing by. The mist was transparent and multicolored. It all glowed slightly from within. It was just plain strange.
The girl had returned to looking out the window. Lydia was now really curious about the girl's behavior. There was nothing to see now.
"I wonder how they do it..." the girl whispered.
Lydia raised her eyebrow. "Do what?"
"Live without magic, without nature. They live in those tiny boxes, clueless about the world's energy! Everything's plastic and they like it that way!"
Lydia thought about that. It made her sad because it was true for most people. "Not everyone," Lydia said sadly. "Many are working to make it better or go off and live with nature completely. Many wish and believe magic exists."
"But so many of them are happy to be plain!" Sheena laughed. Her laugh was high and tinkling. It was pleasant and infectious. Lydia cracked a smile. "I"m Sheena."
Lydia knew Sheena was right. The people from the world she was leaving were so happy to be plain and normal. They, well most of them, actively shunned the magical realm.
"I'm guessing you grew up in a magical family?" Lydia asked.
Sheena gave Lydia small, sly smile. "Magic is in my blood. Like my mother before me, I have pixie blood."
Lydia wasn't sure what pixie blood meant, but looking at the girl closely, she could guess. Lydia had immediately noticed that the girl was small and slender, but her limbs were also just slightly too long and her face had beautiful, angled features. Her ears were slightly pointed and everything about her was more vivid. Even though her hair was white, it seemed shimmery and iridescent. Her skin was incredibly pale cream, not quite paper white though. Lydia noticed small butter yellow speckles on the girl's temples as well. Her eyes were light periwinkle blue, sparkling with life, laughter, and mischief. Her mouth was small and angular, but with full, red lips. She was easily the most beautiful girl Lydia had ever seen.
"You have ancestors that were fairies?" Lydia asked.
"Oh no," Sheena responded with a look of disgust. "Pixies, dearie. Yes, they are also small and winged and magical, but pixies are not silly, addle-minded nature twits. Pixies are tricksters. We are clever, and sly and smart." A vulpine smile crept onto her lips. Sheena's eyes narrowed with a predator glint for a moment, then all the bubble came back. Lydia didn't know quite what to make of this girl. She scooted away just a little bit. Lydia was hesitant to speak to Sheena about anything else. The girl just didn't seem approachable.
The bus ride was quiet. Many people were talking, but their voices were hush, contained within the area of their seats. Lydia wondered if there was magic in place to create invisible barriers between the seat rows. Lydia lay back in her seat and imagined the wonderful classes she'd be starting.
After a while, Lydia wasn't certain how long, she braved the waters.
"Sheena, how much further?"
Sheena nibbled on her lip and looked hard out the window. The bus was still gliding through swirling mist, and if Lydia stared out hard enough, she could catch glimpses of the real world beyond.
"Oh, about 45 mins...maybe an hour, depends on traffic in the flow."
"The flow?"
She rolled her eyes. "Right, mundane upbringing. Let's keep things simple. The flow is the magical highway. It was created from many different energy pathways being merged together, like, a long time ago. Buses use it alot....it's not in the physical realm, of course. It's a different plane."
Lydia wasn't sure how to process that. She was on a different plane? She felt the same, but there was no denying the strangeness outside the window.
Lydia continued to watch the mist. Time passed quickly as she mused about being in another plan inside an energy pathway. Suddenly, the bus began to slow down for the final stop. The bus driver brought the bus to a stop and stood up to welcome the students to Digner's Mage Academy!
© Copyright 2015 Lara Dupuis (ldupuis44 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2058064-Lets-Make-a-Deal---Chapters-1-3