*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2058086-Image-Perfection
Rated: E · Essay · Health · #2058086
image perfection how it can harm, stop individuality, and affect the views of children.
         Image perfection is ruinous because it can harm you, immobilizes individuality, and lastly affect the views of children. Image perfection is ruinous because it can harm you. According to Mirror Mirror, the society believes the ideal woman is 5’10” and weighs only 120 pounds, but the average American woman is 5’4” and weighs about 169 lbs. Furthermore, the ideal man is 6’1” and weighs only 160 pounds, but the average American man is 5’9” and weighs 190 lbs. Do you see the discrepancies? In America, the media wants you to believe that being healthy is being skinny. According to ANAD, the body type portrayed in advertising as the ideal is possessed naturally by only 5% of American females. Those who assume the media projects the desirable weight may diet and exercise excessively to match the media’s ideals. However, being skinny can also be that you might be anorexic or bulimic.
         Image perfection is ruinous because it affects the views of children. The youth struggles with body image and self- esteem because they want to feel accepted. So, they compare themselves to others. The problem with that is not everyone develops at the same time or way. Later on, they start to notice the media and question how they fit in which can affect how they feel about their selves and their bodies. According to ANAD, 69% of girls in 5th- 12th grade reported that magazine pictures influenced their idea of a perfect body shape. A person’s family can also affect a person’s body image. Some parents might be too focused on their children looking a certain way. For example, “how come you can’t wear pants that fit you?” Saying thing like this or worse can influence a person’s self – esteem. What someone says to a child now can affect how they think about it later. Also children will change who they are to fit in. It may cause them to stray from what they are taught in their religion.
         Image perfection is ruinous because it immobilizes individuality. Imagine if you looked and are perfect. Do you think anyone would want to be around you? Being around you would be a constant reminder of their imperfections. Now image if everyone was perfect, do you think life would be fun or challenging? Probably not because everyone would be the same. There would be no one to challenge you and no progress. According to Daniel Schonbuch, A person's individuality consists of the qualities and characteristics that distinguish that person as a unique human being. Without a sense of uniqueness, it is difficult for a person to establish their own identity in the world and to understand the special role that they will play.
         In conclusion, image perfection is ruinous because it can harm you, immobilize individuality, and affect the views of children. Think long and hard do you want to be perfect or original? Take a few steps back and handle the real issue at hand to deal with body image. Brene Brown says to letting go of our prerequisites for worthiness means making the long walk from "What will people think?" to "I am enough." But, like all great journeys, this walk starts with one step, and the first step in the Wholehearted journey is practicing courage.
© Copyright 2015 D.M. Holt (writer27174 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2058086-Image-Perfection