*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2058772-Keep-Calm-and-Dont-Stress-Out
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Ally
Rated: E · Article · Educational · #2058772
Feeling stressed out and don't know why? Read this!
Ally Forbes

Cause and Effect

9/14/15

Keep Calm and Don't Stress Out

Everyone has been through a stressful situation. Whether it's trying to make it to work on time or cramming for a big test the next day, stress occurs in everybody. People handle stressful situations differently. Stress can be triggered by many things and can affect the way of life in a number of different ways including health, relationships, and mood. However, there are ways to manage stress.
Causes of stress differ from person to person ("Stress" 3). Common causes of stress are major life changes, work or school life, relationships, money, children and family, unrealistic expectations, lack of flexibility, and the pressure to fit into society. These situations trigger hormones to rush into the body, releasing extra energy and strength to protect and fight against the threat. However, these hormones can also shut down the body's ability to think. This reaction is called the "Fight or Flight" response ("Stress" 3). When this response occurs, thyroxine and epinephrine get the body ready for danger by targeting tissue cells for when danger is near. Also during this process, the nervous system sends out messages. When these messages go out, the heart beats faster, making more blood which increases breathing patterns, bringing in more oxygen (Piotrowski 7). These causes may be doing more damage than good. This adaptive response is important in situations of extreme danger, but when it lasts for a long period of time occur.
There are many ways stress affects a person's life. Some effects may be small and some may be very large. There are three categories that make up how stress affects a person. Those categories are body, mood, and behavior (Mayo Clinic 3). The bodily symptoms include; headache, muscle tension, chest pain, fatigue, upset stomach, and possibly sleep apnea. Stress affects mood by enforcing anxiety, restlessness, lack of motivation, loss of focus, irritability, anger, sadness, and depression. Finally, stress affects one's behavior when it causes them to overeat, under eat, have angry outbursts, use drugs, alcohol, or tobacco, and social withdrawal. Stress that occurs for a long time and left abandoned can add to high blood pressure, heart disease, obesity, and diabetes.
Not all side effects of stress are bad, in some ways, stress can actually improve the way of life. When the hormones help the body, it can lead to excess energy and alertness. These are the reasons why, during a presentation, the person is on their toes, a player makes the winning point in an intense situation, or a person slams on the breaks to avoid hitting a deer ("Stress" 5). The graph below shows where the good stress falls when evaluated on behavioral efficiency. On either side of the good stress, labeled "eustress," are the areas where the bad stress, or "distress" occurs.

Whether it is good or bad, stress is important to know how to handle. The way a person reacts to a stressful situation depends on the person. For example, one person may get stressed out over a close deadline, but another person sees it as only a challenge. There are many ways to help manage stress. Physical activity, relaxation techniques, meditation, yoga, and Tai Chi are examples of some ways to manage stress. The Mayo Clinic states "Be sure to get plenty of sleep, eat a balanced diet, and avoid tobacco use and excess caffeine and alcohol intake" (6).
Stress occurs in everybody, however, the way it is caused and how it effects the body differs from person to person. Stress can be triggered by many things and can affect the way of life in a number of different ways including mood, health, and relationships. Stress can be caused by major life changes, relationships, or family members. These causes can affect a person's life by instigating serious problems like heart disease or diabetes, and good situations like extreme concentration and energy. There are ways to handle stress and by doing so, it makes life more manageable.









Works Cited

Mayo Clinic Staff. "Stress Management." Stress Symptoms: Effects on Your Body and Behavior. N.p., n.d. Web. 16 Sept. 2015.
Nicole, Kristi. "Climbinginthekitchen." Climbinginthekitchen. N.p., 2014. Web. 23 Sept. 2015.
Piotrowski, Nancy A., PhD, and David Wason, Jr., PhD Hollar. "Stress." Magill'S Medical Guide (Online Edition) (2014): Research Starters. Web. 16 Sept. 2015.
"Stress." - Helpguide.org. N.p., n.d. Web. 16 Sept. 2015.


© Copyright 2015 Ally (allycat2798 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2058772-Keep-Calm-and-Dont-Stress-Out