*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2059007-Dove-and-Raven
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Short Story · Fantasy · #2059007
Two sisters, good and bad, go head to head. Who will come out the winner?
My name is Dove and I am a wrongfully imprisoned Angel. Before I was born, my mother made a foolish bargain with a powerful warlock to have the darkness transferred out of her unborn child, making me an angel destined to do only good deeds. All magic has a price. The price for this? I would have a twin who can only do dark deeds. Her name is Raven.

On the night before my sixteenth birthday, my mother held a masquerade ball at our castle. Sixteen marks the entrance of adulthood for Angels. I wore the necklace I received earlier that day as a gift from someone anonymous. Everyone complimented on the necklace saying how beautiful it was when the crystal sparkled in the light.

"Excuse me, Miss Dove," David, one of the butlers, handed me a note. The moment I touched the note, I felt it, the ominousness, where it's been and whose hands it had gone through. It was from Raven and it read, "What have I eaten? Lies and Smiles." I gasped, dropped the note and took two steps back.

My mother hurried to my side, "What is it, my dear?" That's when she looked at the note and gasped. "Hurry, up to your room and don't come out." I obeyed.

I retreated to my room and stood staring out the window. I wonder why Raven had waited all these years. According to an ancient prophecy my mother once read to me, it states the two halves will come into a battle to the death. If she only had evilness in her, she could've came and finished me off a long time ago.

I glanced at the time piece in the corner of the room, five minutes 'til midnight. I sighed, unfastened the necklace, placed it on the tall table by the door, and was getting ready for bed when I heard a scream. Only one word came to mind, Raven. She wouldn't cause such disruption, would she?

I opened the door and noticed men in uniform running toward me. "What is going on?" I asked.

"Angel Dove, you're under arrest for thieving and murder." Two men grabbed my arms while another man waltzed into my room and snatched the necklace.

"I didn't do it!" It was Raven! I wanted to say but I knew the men wouldn't listen. With tears in my eyes, I was led into a carriage and was shuttled to the jailhouse where I was shoved into a dirty cell with meaningless graffiti and writing on the wall.

"Ca Caw" I heard the sound and went to window. It was a black Raven perched on the highest branch of the nearby tree. A vicious voice appeared in my head said, "and let the battle commence."

*****


I lifted my left hand to summon my best friend, Luther.He had played a fine version of me taunting my sister Dove. I cannot allow her to see me because if she did, she'll know I'm real.

Angels have the ability to communicate mentally, even to humans. I find it's a good way to play with human which is something I bet my dear sister will never do because she's too good and too caring of others' feelings. I, on the other hand, care in the least bit.

Luther landed on my wrist, he glanced curiously around. I stroked his sleek black body as his out-of-breath voice broadcast in my mind. "Her trial is tomorrow and according to the law, thieving is punishable by death."

"Good, good," I said slowly. I should be happy. The king would do all the dirty work for me, I wouldn't even have to lift a finger. Yet, I felt angry, frustrated, and irritated.

With Luther on my hand, we strolled across the field to the strange-looking tree. I have been studying the tree for days and weeks and still, I couldn't figure out why the shape looked so familiar. I sighed and allowed Luther to fly to the highest branch while I lie down on the field. Why am I not happy?

*****


I watched the sun rise the next morning through the only window in this dingy graffiti-riddled cell. A guard came and told me a while ago that my hearing is today, that I should get ready. "You'll be fine," I told myself repeatedly. "They have no proof and you're definitely innocent."

I heard approaching footstep and before long, the same guard entered the cell. "Time to go," he said and clasped a pair of handcuffs onto my wrists. As he led me out of the cell, I glanced at the graffiti cell wall once more, the phrase, "She's mad but she's magic," stuck out among the other scribbles. That's what Raven is, I thought.

He led me to the palace, the corridors are filled with priceless art and a variety of one of a kind bottles. The large ornamental double doors swung open and the court appeared before me. The guard pressed on my shoulder, forcing me to kneel. "How do you plead?" The king asked in a lazy voice.

"Not guilty." I spoke in a steady voice.

The king leaned over his golden desk and stared at me with a raised eyebrow. "Are you sure about that?"

"Yes, I am sure. I did not do it. It was my sister, Raven. We are twins."

The king sat back in his throne, glanced over the stack of papers on the desk. "And where is this sister of yours?"

"I-I don't know. I-I have never seen her."

The king sputtered a laugh and then his laugh grew louder and louder. "Then how do you she exists?"

"I just know, I have a hunch." He stopped laughing and peered at me through his round spectacles. Everyone knows that an angel's hunch wasn't something to be questioned. Angels are known prophets, if they have a suspicion, it'll mostly likely come true.

"Alright, apprehend that sister of yours and I'll clear your charges. It's you or her, your choice."

*****


I'm sitting beneath a large tree, watching a balloon fly by. Luther should've been back by now and I should feel Dove's death but I feel nothing. I sighed and that's when I heard, "Mistress Raven, Mistress Raven, she's coming for you. She's coming for you."

*****


My name is Dove and I'm going to seek out my sister once and for all. When the king decided to drop the charge against me if I apprehended Raven, I felt this strange happiness inside of me. It was satisfaction but at the same time, I felt guilty.

It's not Raven's fault that she's such an awful person. She can't help it, all my darkness is inside of her.

I told my mother as I arrived home. She was so relieved. "Now you must seek her out and destroy her."

I frowned, "but I can't. I am only pure goodness. You created me that way, remember?"

She shook her head, "Not a-hundred-percent. No one is capable of truly remove one-hundred-percent of someone's qualities, not even the great wizard whom I turned to. There is still one-percent inside you that is truly dark and now, you must use it. Now go get change into some fresh clothes and seek out your sister."

I returned some time later to found my mother holding a red velvet box in her hands. She opened it as I approached, revealing a silver bracelet. Before I could speak, she slipped the bracelet onto my wrist. "It will help you to track your sister. Just put it on your wrist, close your eyes, take a deep breath, and you'll be able to see where she is."

As I exited my home, I did as I was told. I inhaled through my nose and exhaled through my mouth as mental images immediately projected in my mind. It was the image of a boat bobbing at the side of a river. I opened my eyes and grinned. "Got you."

*****


I turned silences and nights into words. What was unutterable, I wrote down. I made the whirling world stand still. -Anthony Rimbaud

Who's Anthony Rimbaud? I wondered gazing at the words etched on the wall. Maybe it's the former occupant of this once-lovely cabin. It was empty when I discovered it while sailing down the river.

No doubt Dove was now looking for me and no doubt mother had unleashed the exact silver bracelet that was on my wrist. The bracelet was a pair and I've stolen mine long ago and pairs always yearn to reunite. I have no doubt Dove's currently wearing the other. The law of attraction is at work. In no time, Dove would arrive.

"Are you afraid, Miss Raven?" Hector asked as I settled in the red velvet chair facing the window, the only chair in the room and gently stroked Hector's dark fur.

For once in my life, I'm afraid. "A little," I answered and sighed. Hector was only a baby when I found him abandoned by his family. I rescued him and we became best friends. "It's complicated, my friend."

"I am going to stay by your side. Don't be afraid." Hector said.

I squeezed my eyes shut, feeling tears accumulating. "I'm afraid it's time, my friend. It's time for me to let you go, let you be free."

"But I am free."

I extended my arm, "Off you go," but he didn't budge. He stood clamped to my finger. "Go," I urged, "you wouldn't want to see what will happen next." Still, he didn't move. I could hear Dove approaching, she had such loud steps. "Please," I begged. This time, he gave me a quick departing glance and took off out the window.

The door behind me creaked. "Time to surrender, sister." Dove said, "You have nowhere to hide."

*****


It wasn't difficult to discover Raven was sitting in the only chair in the room. As I approached her, she slowly raised her hands, on her right wrist, I noticed, was the exact same silver bracelet on my right wrist. "You win, Dove." She said, sounded resigned. "Go ahead and do what you've come here to do."

"What did you think I've come to do?"

"I'm sure mother told you to destroy me." She launched herself into a standing position, turned and face me, her hands were still raised. It was then I noticed her black wings, there was a shade of white in there. "So go right ahead." Out of my control, I suddenly found my hand wrapped tightly around my sister's throat. There was a huge grin on her face, "just do it," she managed.

I squeezed and a whimper escaped her lips but then I let go. "I can't! I can't!" I shouted. Raven coughed. "I just can't. You don't deserve to die. It's not your fault, this whole thing and you don't deserve to get punished." I paused as a strange sensation bubbled from within. "M-my mother is at fault and she's the one that deserves the punishment."

Raven staggered back and gasped. Her hand flew to her chest. "I feel something happening." She moved her hand and I could see this great hole in her chest filled with a bright light. Then, as if her legs went weak, she fell on her knees.

"What's happening?" I asked and turned my attention to her wings, "Your wings, they're turning white."

She blinked, "I-I think I'm dying." Then she turned to me, "I think by meeting face-to-face, you're reconnecting with your dark side." She grabbed my hands tightly in hers and closed her eyes. Then she rested her head on our hands. She sobbed as the light got brighter and brighter, until I felt the need to look away. As I looked again, Raven was gone, her silver bracelet clattered on the wooden ground.

I grabbed the bracelet and ran the smooth silver surface between my fingers. Then I turned and looked at my wings. They weren't pure white anymore, they were the lighter shade of ivory. My light and dark sides reconnected as one. Still, Raven didn't deserve any of this. I think she knew what was coming. Oh, Raven, I shall have a memorial for you. I think you deserve this much.
© Copyright 2015 Y. Zheng (yzheng at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2059007-Dove-and-Raven