*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2059125-Dark-Skies
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Dark · #2059125
What would you do if you woke up to a different reality.
One morning, I woke up in a different room, a fairly lit, cyan coated area. I looked up at the ceiling to see the solitary lamp that was dangling from a seemingly broken roof. My eyes traveled to the right, to see piles of bricks scattered around on the floor, I moved my foot leftward, trying too get off the bed, I looked at the ground, and saw a blurry reflection on the tiles, "where am I?" I thought quietly, I tried hard to reach the door. But as I approached the exit, a slight gush of cold wind blew at the back of my neck.

I opened the door, and saw a room covered with glass, as I perused the room, and tried to find an exit. I looked into one of the mirrors to see that blurred reflection yet again, but this time It seems that I can't even recognize myself on the mirror. Slowly it started to induce anxiety into my system, I looked away and tried to focus on my initial task "find out where I am, and figure out how I got here". I tried to remember, but it seems like all of my memories were partially erased, I can't remember places, people, and objects, clearly as if they were blanketed by a thick white fog, "What is happening?" I asked myself, and slowly as I stood up, I saw a ray of light shining through a hole. And suddenly I found a passage that leads directly outside, I crawled into the vents and found myself in a seemingly quiet city.

I looked around to see old, torn buildings, left and forgotten in the outskirts of the city. The skies were dark, and sunlight is bleak, I walked towards an empty courthouse, as I scanned my environment for clues. I trudged towards the empty buildings, I noticed patterns of print along the city walls, my thoughts were disrupted for a moment when I saw an old street sign saying, "Browning street, Geomantria", I tried to recover "Browning street", but still, everything was blurry in my mind, I cannot remember anything, I entered the courthouse, only to find myself being transported to a dark and stormy fishing town. "What happened, nothing makes sense!" I thought angrily, until I noticed that something was amiss, I looked northwards to see a beast with razor sharp fangs staring at me, I tried to escape by moving backwards however, everything faded into black. The only thing I remember was the beast leaping towards me.

A few moments later, I found myself in the same bedroom earlier this morning, I started to notice that the house is slightly more disfigured than it was before, and my reflections are starting to take shape, "this isn't real" I thought, I pinched myself, but to my surprise I felt my pinch, "so this isn't a dream, where am I, and what the f*** is happening"...

Moving outside to the outskirts of the city, the buildings shows signs of damage, as the skies turned darker, and the sunlight became bleaker. "I have to get out of here now" I said to myself quietly, as I went to the outer bounds of the city. I found myself travelling to another location, a sunny yet stormy castle grounds. Looking at the earth, lies thousands of corpses, as huge amounts of blood covered the entire grassland floor. "Now what the hell is this" it occurred to me that I somehow kept bumping into portals, that transports me into another reality. I looked around, cautiously scanning every detail until I felt like something was following me, I turned to see an armored human pointing a gun at me, I tried to talk, but again everything faded into black, "Reality, is it really reality?" I asked myself, as I fell once again into the dark void of space.

As expected, I woke up in the grotesque bedroom, I scanned the room, looking for clues, until I realized that there was something new, I saw piles of empty boxes on the bedroom floor, the lamp gives off less light than before, and my reflection, is clearer, except the reflection was still distorted, making it difficult for me to identify myself. And again I walked outside, only to see the wreckage of the city, the skies are at it's darkest, and the sunlight is at it's bleakest. "Another reality, I suppose" I said quietly, as I looked towards the border, northwards from the city, there I saw the lone beast I've encountered earlier, looking eastwards, I saw the guy in the same armor carrying the exact same gun, then I looked westwards, I saw... Myself standing there being shot by the man in armor, "what is this place?!" I exclaimed as I felt a tingling sensation started on the foot, then it escalated up towards my head. Then I felt like I'm falling yet again on the endless void, but before I lost my consciousness I imagined myself escaping from this terrible nightmare.

An avalanche of emotions crashed on me, as I saw myself getting shot in the head by a stranger wearing an armor, and now I am falling yet again in this void. Everything I know, Everything I experienced, is starting to fade, but I tried to hold on to one of those memories, then it all collapsed into it's center, but vaguely a few seconds after, everything, everyone I knew returned to my memory like it was burnt by the sun in it's brightest glory. "Now I remember"

Epilogue:
It all makes sense now, the reason for me being here.
I am dead, almost... I was preserved by uploading my consciousness into a mainframe, I never even remembered... I am stuck in this reality for eternities to come, and hopefully, soon I would be brought back to life, and escape this infinite loop of events once and for all...
© Copyright 2015 TheCivzar (thecivzar at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2059125-Dark-Skies