*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2059225-Prompt27-Rhyming-Prose
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Fiction · War · #2059225
War is war no matter how pretty it sounds
Word Count: 492 of 750 MAX
DAY 27 Prompt: Challenge: Rhyming Prose
You are to write a flash in which you have some kind of rhyming scheme in place. You decide the scheme. It could be rhyming the end of lines in an AABBCC... pattern, or something more complex with mid sentence rhymes. You are NOT writing a poem. It must still be presented like normal prose and still contain a story. The only difference is that it rhymes!

         The deep bass of the war horns trumpeted, making a forlorn sound. Kardell turned to face his men, “You will hold your ground!”

         He could feel their fear like a silent wall at his back. He couldn’t blame them though, standing all this time waiting for the enemy’s attack. He mounted his horse and drew his blade. Today old scores would be settled and all debts paid. Staring into the darkness he looked for any sign of his foes. At first there was only the blackness, but then he began to see tiny, multiple glows.

         Others saw them also, murmurs breaking the tense silence of predawn.

         “Keep your eyes sharp,” he said aloud, “who knows what trickery we’ll see from these demon spawn.”

         Suddenly the small lights were racing upwards, high into the darkened sky.

         “Shields! Get your shields up now,” screamed Kardell, “or you’re all going to die!”

         The flame tipped arrows sped high above the battlefield, their silent flight seeming almost surreal. Then they were dropping towards them, raining down upon shields of wood and steel. Kardell heard several screams as the arrows found their way past the shields and leathers. An arrow pierced his horse’s neck, burying itself up to the frayed black feathers.

         His steed crumbled to the ground and Kardell was barely able to leap off to avoid being hurt. “Get ready,” he yelled, “this is only the beginning so stay alert. Move the injured to the rear and safely out of the way. Take whatever is useful from the dead but leave them, they stay where they lay.”

         Beyond his vision the sounds of steel and marching could suddenly be heard. The volume slowly increased as it drew nearer but he wasn’t deterred. He motioned with his hand, and the message was relayed to the rear. It time was now to put the plan in motion as the enemy drew near.

         Kardell heard the familiar rush of air and looked up but couldn’t see anything. He allowed himself a small smile knowing the death that sound would bring. Unlike his foes, he didn’t believe in warning the enemy with light. So the arrows heading towards them, in the darkness would remain out of sight. He and his men waiting silently and he counted the seconds in his head. Moments later the arrows reached their enemy and screams of agony quickly began to spread.

         He made another silent motion and the front line began to march. As they moved forward, they spread outward forming an arch. Kardell hoped the other garrisons were in place and ready to attack. Now that he’d committed his men there was no going back.

         Would they win the battle, would the war ever be done? Would history even remember who had lost and who had won? The horizon grew bright as dawn emerged with the sun’s first golden ray. Kardell stopped pondering the future and prepared himself for the long brutal day.
© Copyright 2015 Cupadraig~The Remote Country (cupadraig at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2059225-Prompt27-Rhyming-Prose