*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2060013-I-The-Ring-a-novel-by-Amaka-Ezeonuogu
Rated: E · Chapter · Emotional · #2060013
Three young undergraduate female friends get to see the real world. They are disappointed.
CHAPTER 1

She felt very happy this morning, had been so since she woke up from sleep. She just couldn’t comprehend the happiness, but then that was how she wanted to be, always happy.

With almost dreamy eyes she watched the early morning dew spotting on the flower plant beside her and she noticed the growing buzz of activities around her.

The movement of students and cars was musically building up to add to her unexpected euphoria. She once again smiled to herself, her gap tooth shining reflectively from her seating position under the photo coverage stand.

Monic thought to herself, "What do women want?" "Who do we think we are that we have to go out this far to make sacrifices just to make and keep a good home?". "Why must we try to make things right at all costs?’’ "What is this?" "Is this not crazy?"

She heaved a sigh then suddenly, in an audible voice blurts out "How can I tell some one who saw my wet eyes that I’m sound when obviously I’m not".

"Why should I go through so much pain and stress to make sure all goes well; and just because of a small misunderstanding, a fellow who I legally share the same bed with will wake me up in the middle of the night with nonsensical questions like "Why did you do this?’’ "Why did you not do that?’’ "You must do this, you must not do that!"

Most times, if you attempt to respond to his myriad of questions, you get a nasty slap across a face he once claimed was beautiful. Worse is the insult upon injury when he would ask "What have you contributed to the improvement of this family?’’ in spite of the children you had made together.

Gradually, the euphoria she had felt this morning slipped away from her, and tears welled up in her eyes.

Monic shook her head and muttered inaudibly to herself "No! I can’t continue to live like this". In a louder voice she continued speaking her thoughts.

"I need to wake up and be ready to face my challenges"; "I must make out something out of myself". She stopped, wiped a tear from her eye, "Life is too short for me to keep on suffering like this".

She really was confused as to what to do at this time, but she outrightly told herself "I must not die and allow one fool of a woman from nowhere, to come and take control of my kids and reap where she did not sow".

"Yes, I can do without all the stress; I could even walk away. But no! Even as I can't continue like this, I must remain strong now and tell the story later. I know a lot of couples have had it this stormy, and still managed to live through it; mine won't be an exception". Monic bent her head deep in thought.

"Monic! My dearest Monic!" She jetted back to her surroundings and turned to see who the caller was. Monic's misty eyes took in a tall well curved lady who was dressed in a long red body-fitted gown and a white expensively embroidered knee length shawl draped over her shoulders.

The shiny beaded designs on her clothing were dazzling and Monic instantly recognized the caller. Excitedly she jumped up from her sitting position and lunged at her old friend.

"Safy!" Monic screamed, "I cant believe my eyes". The duo stayed in the warm embrace as if they would never be separated.

The new comer finally pushed Monic backwards and looks at her closely. She smiled and said "Babes, you are looking so beautiful".

Monic made to return the compliment with a smile but only succeeded in giving out a weak grin. "Leave that thing" she said with a wave of the hand and added "Me wey don turn to old mama".

Safy's gaze shifted to Monic's neck. On it was a cute golden necklace. As Safy made to touch the jewelry, the smooth metal shined reflectively in the early day's sun.

"This is a beautiful necklace you have here, it must have come expensive". Raising the pendant off Monic's chest, Safy continued "But wait o, Is this not a ring attached to it?"

With eyes suddenly glittering with questioning anticipation, Safy added "Chei
Monic, I know you most have some gist for me".

Laughing, Monic jocularly wags a finger at her friend and said "You have not changed at all, always the curious cat". "Don’t ask so many questions dear, its not important for now".

Safy smiled, shrugged and said "Okay oo, I don hear; so wetin dey? How is everything?"

Monic succeeded with another smile, and wondered inwardly what her friend would say when she discovers the trauma she was made to live with.

For a moment, Monic toyed with the idea of telling Safy, but changed her mind and asked instead "So what have you come to UDUS to do?"

The question came coincidentally at the same time Safy had swept up her frock to brush off a nonsensical fly; she glances at Monic, pays attention to the gown again, before replying "To acquire more knowledge na, or what did you expect? That I came back to play?"

Monic laughed full heartedly now, pumped her friend's arm and asked teasingly "So what have you done with all the education you have already acquired, if I may ask?"

"I actually worked for some time. I was quite happy with the way things were moving when all of a sudden everything went awry".

"Oh Safy!" Monic cried sensitively, clutching her friend by the hand "I am very sorry; it must have been quite terrible".

"It’s alright now though, really" Safy said dismissing the sympathetic outburst. "Now since I’m less busy, I decided to utilize my extra time in improving myself". "How you see am?"

"Monic was almost beside herself with excitement "How I see am ke". "I'm happy we may come back together, and you are busy asking questions like always".

"Abeg leave matter for Mathias" Monic said before asking "How you dey jaare?" "What of our one and only Abasi?" Monic frowned a bit as she asked the question, "I hope she is okay".

"Abasi? She is very fine" Safy replied, looking searchingly towards the crowd of people building up around the block of lecture halls a little distance away from them.

Monic said with resignation "Unfortunately, I can't say the same thing of her" "When did you girls last speak to each other? Me, I haven't talked to her in a while"

"I came with her" Safy announced. She soon compounded Monic's surprise when she added "She should be in one of those classes. She is here with me on the same mission".

“O my God!" Monic exclaimed happily "Do you know I woke up very happy this morning? I couldn’t tell what the reason was, but now the why has become clear".

Monic followed Safy's eyes roaming towards the block of classes and continued "So why not call her and let’s talk on?" There eyes met, and for an instant, past memories of the joys and pains they had shared, flashed through their minds.

Safy's eyes strayed towards the classes again. Monic tugged her arm and said "Why don't we go check up on her".

"I know exactly where she should be at this moment" Safy replied smiling mischievously. Monic did not take heed, but motioned Safy to lead the way; as they made to move on, a hand suddenly covers Monic's eyes from behind.

"Who is this?" "Stop! Stop!" You are hurting me!" Agitated, Monic cried "Safy! Safy, help me!" Struggling, she continued "Who is this now?"

Somehow, Monic managed to swing her head off the grip over her eyes. She had then seen it was Abasi and jumped with joy screaming "Abasi!!!"

Abasi broke into a wry laughter, as she watched Monic rub her eyes. "Who is this? Help me!" she suddenly mimicked and the three of them burst out laughing.

Monic threw a playful punch at her friend and said "Abasi, you like wahala; you will never change".

Ignoring the play jab, Abasi took a good look at Monic and asked more seriously "How have you been joo?" Before Monic could answer, Abasi turned to Safy and continued "I know you girls have said a lot about yourselves; now it's my turn to do the asking".

Abasi pulled monic to herself, and with a deep smile asked "So how have you been? your health, your family and your life as well?"

"We are doing wonderfully well ma" Monic replied gently. "I am so happy to see you girls. I just couldn’t explain why I have been so happy since morning, but now it's clear. Let's get a more comfortable place to relax".

Monic held unto her two friends and began to pull them away when an irritating sound stopped them. Peeeeee!!! a tanker supplying water to the school canteen honked its horns. Monic looked up as thick smoke from the vehicle filled the atmosphere.

Suddenly, a short, stout, dark man, in black trouser and a muddy blue shirt appeared as if from no where. Flailing his arms like a road traffic officer the man shouted in a husky noisy voice.

"Go right this way, carefully ooo; you know say no be every body wey dey waka pass here be person. Some na animal, some na goat; some sef na mumu. So make una jeje dey drive".

The girls stared at him obviously disgusted. Abasi asked no one in particular "Who is that buffoon referring to?"

Safy laughingly interjected "Ah ah! take it easy on the man now, he is just trying to be humorous".

Monic tugged them forward again, stopped suddenly and made her own joke how "But wait ooo, see im head like wetin oracle don reject; see as the jester resemble my grand papa chewing stick.

The three friends burst out laughing and moved on excitedly.

©Amaka Ezeonuogu (2015)
© Copyright 2015 Amaka Chidozie Duru (amakaezeonuogu at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2060013-I-The-Ring-a-novel-by-Amaka-Ezeonuogu