*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2061945-The-Room
Rated: E · Fiction · Thriller/Suspense · #2061945
Setting Description for 'Bruises Fade'
The Room - Setting Description


Caitlin sat on the bed, trying to shake the fog from her head. She needed to recover her bearings. She frowned and rubbed her temples. Nothing seemed familiar. It didn’t make sense.

Shivering, Caitlin looked up toward the draught. She found a window; small, with bars. Bars? A trickle of panic rushed across her chest. She walked to the door and tried to turn the handle. It didn’t budge so she tried harder, but it was no use. She was locked in.

Caitlin kicked the door and a clump of white paint attached itself to her foot. As she cast her eyes over her sparse surroundings, the reality of her situation hit her. She had no idea where she was or how she got there. She was locked inside this anaemic room, with just a bed, a dresser and a two seater couch.

Eager to find a key, or something else useful, Caitlin opened each drawer of the dresser. But there was nothing. She sat on the bed, trying to remember. Caitlin pulled the blanket around her shoulders and, for a moment, she was at home, safe. Her mother always used lavender laundry detergent, just like this one. Caitlin hated it, until now. Now, she only hated that she was smelling it in this horrible place.

Studying the window, Caitlin was dismayed by how little light it allowed in. That didn’t mean it couldn’t lead her to freedom. She stood on her toes and held onto the concrete window sill. Caitlin was met with the scent of outdoors; earthy and mossy. Her view was obscured by a couple of bushes, but if she squinted, she could see through them to a lawn. There was some gravel to her right. That was where she needed to be.

Caitlin stepped down from the window but she held the rich taste of the garden on her lips. The room looked much darker now that she had seen some daylight. She looked for a light switch but, like everything else, there was none.

Caitlin moved to the little couch in the corner. She prodded it with her foot, then felt it with her hands. She didn’t want any twisted surprises springing through the cover. But it seemed normal enough. It squeaked under her touch, like it was covered in plastic wrap. She sat and shuffled around, unable to get comfortable on the hard seat.

The chiming of a clock in another room snatched Caitlin’s attention. She stuck her ear to the door and listened. She counted six chimes, but it was possible she had missed some. She sighed and slumped onto the floor. Just at that moment, she heard the crunching of a car on gravel.

Pulling herself up with a jerk, Caitlin scrambled to look out the window again. She could see a car wheel to the right of her vision, and feet. Expensive looking feet. Caitlin forced her breathing to slow as she stood, hands on hips, ready for battle.

498 words
© Copyright 2015 Choconut ~ House Targaryen (purplesunday at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2061945-The-Room