*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2062019-Peter-Pan-With-a-Twist
by Jo
Rated: E · Fiction · Children's · #2062019
I took the summary and then switched up the end
“In the nursery of the Darling home, a dog is the nurse, or nanny. Perhaps that is one reason there is so much joy there. Nurse Nana bathes the three children and gives them their suppers and in all ways watches over them. One night, Mrs. Darling, on Nana’s night off, sits with the children as they sleep. Drowsing, she is awakened by a slight draft from the window, and, looking around, she sees a strange boy in the room. She screams, and Nana, who has just returned home, lunges for the intruder, but the boy leaps out the window, leaving only his shadow behind. He had been accompanied also by a ball of light, but it too has escaped. Mrs. Darling rolls up the boy’s shadow and puts it in a drawer, thinking that the boy will come back for it sometime soon and thus may be caught.
When Mr. Darling is told of the incident he considers it a little silly; at present he is more concerned with finding a different nurse for the children. Believing that the dog, Nana, is getting too much authority in the household, Mr. Darling drags her out of the house and locks her up.
Mr. and Mrs. Darling go out the following night, leaving only a maid to look in on the children occasionally. After the lights are out and the children are asleep, the intruder returns. The boy, whose name is Peter Pan, is accompanied by Tinker Bell, a fairy who appears as a ball of light. Peter finds his shadow after searching in all the drawers in the nursery, but in his excitement he shuts Tinker Bell in one of the drawers.
As Peter tries to get his shadow to stick to him again, he makes enough noise to awaken Wendy, the daughter of the household. Peter tells Wendy that he ran away the day he was born because he heard his parents talking about all the things he would do when he was a man; he went to live with the fairies so that he would never have to grow up. Suddenly he remembers Tinker Bell, and he looks for her until he finds her in one of the nursery dressers. Tinker Bell, a ball of light no bigger than a fist, is so small that Wendy can hardly see her. She is not a very polite fairy—she calls Wendy horrible names.
Peter tells Wendy, the only girl of the three Darling children and instantly his favorite, that he and Tinker Bell live in Neverland with the lost boys, boys who had fallen out of their baby carriages and were never found again. He had come to Wendy’s house to listen to her mother tell stories to the others. Peter, begging Wendy and her brothers to go back to Neverland with him, promises to teach them to fly. The idea is too much for the children to resist. After a little practice they all fly out the window, barely escaping their parents and Nana, who has broken her chain to warn Mr. and Mrs. Darling of the danger to the children.
In Neverland, the Indians, with their chief and their princess, help to protect the lost boys against a group of mean pirates led by Captain Hook, who has a hook where one of his hands used to be. It is Hook’s greatest desire to capture Peter Pan, for Peter is the one who tore off Hook’s arm and fed it to a crocodile. The crocodile so liked the taste of the arm that he now follows Hook everywhere, waiting for a chance to eat the rest of him. The crocodile has, unhappily, also swallowed a clock, and its ticking warns Hook whenever the crocodile approaches.
To this strange land Wendy and her brothers fly with Peter Pan. The lost boys, seeing Wendy first in the sky when they arrive, think that she is a giant bird, and one of them shoots her with a bow and arrow. The jealous Tinker Bell had suggested the deed. Peter arrives and, after finding that Wendy is only stunned, banishes Tinker Bell for a week to punish her for provoking the attack. He then tells the others that he has brought Wendy to them. They promptly build her a house and ask her to be their mother. Wendy thinks that taking care of so many children is a great responsibility, but she quickly assumes her duties by telling them stories and putting them to bed.
Jealous, the pirates plan to steal Wendy and make her their mother; they intend to force the other children to walk the plank. Peter overhears them plotting, however, and he saves the children and Wendy. He himself escapes by sailing out to sea in a bird’s nest.
Wendy and her brothers begin to worry about their parents, and they decide that they should return home. The lost boys, delighted at the thought of having a real grown-up mother, eagerly accept Wendy’s invitation to come live with her and her brothers and parents. Peter refuses to go, because he wants always to be a little boy and have fun. He lets the others go, however, and asks Tinker Bell to show them the way.
The pirates have learned of the children’s journey, and as Tinker Bell and the children begin to fly from Neverland, Hook and his men seize them. When Peter finds out that Hook has captured all his friends, he vows to get revenge on the pirate once and for all.
On the pirate ship, the children are being prepared to walk the plank. They are all paraded before Wendy, who is tied to the mast. Unknown to the pirates, however, Peter is also on board, and by using tricks and false voices he leads first one pirate and then another to his death. These strange happenings are too much for Hook. When he knocks the seat out from under Peter and the boy remains in place, calmly sitting on air, the pirate throws himself overboard, into the waiting jaws of the patient crocodile.
Meanwhile, at the Darling home, Mrs. Darling and Nana wait, with little hope, for the children to return. They have left the nursery window open constantly, so that their loved ones might enter easily should they ever come home, but Peter and Tinker Bell fly ahead of the others and close the window so that Wendy and the others will think they are not wanted.”- http://www.enotes.com/topics/peter-pan
“That does it Tink!” Peter exclaimed giddily as he shut the window of the Darling’s nursery. “now, they will have to come back to Neverland with me because their precious ‘parents’ won’t want them anymore! And Wendy will be our mother again!” Tinkerbell just rolls her little eyes and crosses her arms. She just wished Peter would these obnoxious kids alone and let them grow up if they wanted to. Especially this Wendy girl. If Peter stuck around long enough Tink was afraid he would eventually catch on that this pretty girl wanted to love him, and well. That just won’t do considering Tinkerbell wants Peter all to herself.
“Now how to get out of this room…” Peter mumbled to himself. Surely it couldn’t be too difficult right? Except…. There was no pathway, no stairs, no hole in the wall to exit from. Just this weird white panel decorated with works of art definitely made by children and this strange little brass knob.
“Say… what is this?” He wondered as he reached out to touch it. He grabbed the knob, it was chilly to the touch, at least it was for a moment.
Nothing happened.
So he pulls a little on the knob.
Still nothing.
So he gives it a shake.
Nada.
So he puts his feet up against the frame of the passage, and YANKS the door as hard as he can and it flies open, sending fragments of the door frame and Peter himself soaring through the air backward.
He catches himself on his butt and shakes his head, hovering up from the ground and gently setting himself on his feet, brushing his hands together.
“Well, that wasn’t so hard” and marches out into the dark hallway. Tinkerbell just rolls her eyes again and flutters past Peter, trying to make it obvious that she is upset and needs consoling. Peter just laughs at her and her sassy mood, figuring it was just a fairy thing that she would get over eventually. Something reflective catches the corner of his eye as her bright glow passes over it. He wanders over to the walls of the hallway and discovers picture frames that line the walls, full of old family photos. A picture of Wendy as a child, all decked out in make up and hairspray as well as a costume, cradling a much too large bouquet of red and white roses in her tiny arms. John streaking in the backyard, the sunshine giving a bright glow to his more than pale baby bottom, his face just positively beaming with pride. A picture of Wendy with her father, dressed for her first high schools dance and her father's chest swollen with pride, Wendys face is perfection with glowing blue eyes and a smile that could warm the most evil of villains heart. A beach scene picturing a happy mother posing with a baby Michael, beaming happily. Peter’s heart is overwhelmed with the love captivated by these picture, followed by an intense longing to be part of a family once again. He is overtaken by a new sense of maturity when he realizes just how beautiful Wendy’s soul is, and how it reflects this innocence through her looks. He finds his arm reaching out slowly, just to brush Wendy’s enchanting two dimensional face, when he hears a rustling at the window, glass be tapped at like a small puppy at the door. Peter peers around the corner of the now slightly splinter door frame and finds bright blue orbs glowing in the dark like two little stars begging for guidance, along with twenty four other eyes following the first pairs every move, riddled with anxiety. “I simply cannot get it open….” mutters a soft voice that wakes up Peter’s ears and begs him to come forward. “Let me try!” whispers an excited voice, eager for destruction.
“No no no we mustn't break it, we don’t want to be in trouble the moment we return then they will surely not let us in.” Wendy says gently.
“Well what do we do?” squeaks a little sleepy voice he recognized as Skunks, the smallest of the Lost Boys and the Darlings combined.
“Well, for now I guess we can camp out in the backyard, I’m sure Nana will be very pleased to see us! And there we can wait for our parents to return!” states John, giddy to be reunited with his family.
They all decided that this was the best option and glided around to the back, the children had a long day of flying behind them and were absolutely ready to fall asleep in the comfort of their family members. As they fled the window, the British night sky was exposed to Peter once again and he longed to shoot out the window and join them. He frowns and hovers out the window, figuring he could at least stake out here for the night. Tinkerbell was so furious with this decision her whole little body turned so red her wings reflected the candy apple glow as she sped off back to Neverland. She was done with this nonsense and would be waiting for Peter when he dropped those kids and his hopes for a family and came back to her.
Meanwhile, Peter found the tallest tree overlooking the Darling’s backyard, and hid amongst the shadows, where he was most comfortable in the strange world he used to belong to. The children found John’s theory to be most accurate as Nana was as thrilled as a nanny dog could be, partly because with all these children she would never sleep outside again, but mostly because her children were back to give her a purpose again. Wendy and Nana go around to all the children, doing tuck in, kissing foreheads, and reassuring the anxious ones that the Darlings would love them no matter what. Wendy then takes a stroll to the front of the house to sit out and wait for her parents arrival, taking a well deserved moment of silence and relaxation.
“oh what a task it is to be a mother,” Wendy sighs to herself with a grin on her face, slumping down in a rocking chair. She allows her eyes to come to a close and before she gets the chance to drift off she senses a watchful eye staring at her. Her eyes snap open and immediately meet those familiar resilient green eyes she’s come to love so fondly.
“Peter! You’re here I’m so glad!” she yells wrapping her thin arms around him holding him close. She notices that despite the short amount of time he’s been here stubble has already graced his young face , aging it from eighteen to almost an adult.
“Hello Wendy... “ Peter whispers, his mind drifted somewhere else, he wants her close to him, he doesn’t really plan on letting go any time soon until she pulls back and smiles at him, bursting with kindness and love.
“Are you here to stay, Peter?” she whispers back to him. All the sudden a strange urge Peter’s never felt before overcomes him. To grow up with a family. To go to school. To have a job. To get married and have children. To grow old, to grow old with her. To say yes. His face rushes to her’s and their lips crash into each others. Invisible sparks they could only feel seem to zip about the air and a sense of relief rushes through their veins, wrapping around their cores and smashing into their hearts setting them on fire, buring with red hot flames igniting their senses like fireworks within every cell, every nerve, of their entire being. They pull back, both suprised. Both giddy to do it again. They laugh hesitantly and stare at each other for a second or two. Before either one of them got the chance to say anything, a car horn breaks the night air, violently demanding their attention.
“Wendy?!” shrieks a female voice that traces back to a body stumbling out of the still slightly moving car.
“Mom!” Wendy exclaims as she sprints toward her laughing with excitement racing toward her mother's open arm. They wrap eachother up tight and sink to the ground as if the weight of the reunion is too much to bear on their shaking shoulders. The commotions seems to have attracted the attention of the others because a herd of children comes sprinting out of the gate, followed by a Nana, bounding behind them. Their father jumps out of the car running to his sons who are running toward his wife shouting “My sons! Oh my family, my beautiful children…” and he scoops them up and drags them over to his wife and daughter as they sit sobbing happy tears of reunion. After this long awaited meeting, the children explained their journey and convinced their parents to adopt all of the Lost Boys. Peter and Wendy ended up living happily ever after, and yes, growing old together.
© Copyright 2015 Jo (jkatiewhite99 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2062019-Peter-Pan-With-a-Twist