*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2062124-October-20th-assignment
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Assignment · Other · #2062124
More details revising.
This will be a revision of Oct 13th assignment and will be revised again on the 27th at which time it will be in two or more different folders. In the meantime, the assignments have totally confused me.

Tuesday, Oct. 20
*Bullet* Required: Outline Revision #3 ▼

The third draft of your outline.
1. A young man travels to Portugal looking for beaches and vampires.
João decides to travel to Portugal after his great-grandmother suggests he visits the ancestral village. But he's young, easily distracted and heads to the beaches and parties. He jokes about meeting vampires, mentioning how he's a night-owl, always anemic, and doesn't like the heat. He laughs about this but not everyone laughs with him. He tours Portugal and Galicia visiting museums, visiting churches, collecting "pretty things". He eventually ends up in Évora... where everyone tells him vampires don't live (for good reason; it's hotter than hell in the summer) and... of course he meets one.
2. After meeting his first vampire, a young man travels around the world constantly running into more... not be choice.
João flees his family, his past, and Portugal. His heart murmur has acted up and he's feels he has to live 'fast'. He visits other cities around the world, going to places where people he has met live/visit. From Delft to Oslo to Gdansk to Tokyo... et cetera. He's running away but growing up in the process, his innocence and naïvity left behind during each adventure. In Australia he meets a vicious glam vamp... frightened, he flees again but receives word that his great-grandmother is dying.
3. No longer innocent nor naïve, a young man returns to his ancestral village to mine secrets it does not wish to divulge.
His great-grandmother is in fine fiddle. She has no intention of dying... feels better than she has for decades... (garlic pills) ...but she must move. And before she leaves she has to tell João more about who/what he is... he has the vampire trait. And... she says he must go back to Portugal to deal with it. He returns, visiting some of the people he met the first time, visiting new places on his way to Miranda de l Douro, where he'll meet the vampires for real. And learn who he is. The story ends in Évora. As João already knows: Vampires don't live in Évora... they go there to die.

Options:
*Bullet* Using traditional outline format (Traditional Outline ): fill in some of the gaps and start developing subplots. *Bullet* From 2nd edit: Using traditional outline format (Traditional Outline ): write your climax and several key conflicts/disasters.

*Bullet* The Snowflake Method : Write a one-paragraph summary of each key character's personal storyline.
I've done this elswhere. Will make separate character folder.

João: HE'S CLUELESS. About? Everything... until he gets ill or until his great grandmother and other vamps explain. This entire story is about him and has been developed elsewhere.
Filipa: Part 1 and 3. SHE TRIES TO NUDGE, OBSERVES. PART 3: HELPS. ¿WHY? Have one story... (She's was queen of Portugal... at least once) is that why? She's a 'mother', a very warm encouraging person; it's in her blood. She does this all behind the scenes of course. Discretion is her middle name.
Nelson: Part 1 and 3. HE DECIDES TO HELP ¿WHY? Back story? Haven't written yet. Maybe he wanted to be a vamp once? Had the wrong blood type? This creates a certain melancholy. He's an observer and a good servant.
Anacleto: Part 1 and 3. Have back story... a type of love story. IS HE FRIEND, FOE OR NEUTRAL. Is he hopeful or resigned? I believe he's neutral. Disappointed that João only has the trait and doesn't want to die yet. So sad.
(name) (Vamp from Miranda de l Douro): Part 3. CAUTIOUS. IS HE FRIEND OR FOE? He's uber-cautious and not to be relied on, but he's not evil. Like the others he wounded, but young enough to still be nursing his wounds.
Thoom (helps Rosa and João): Story needs to be put in chronology. ANCIENT, ALWAYS SERENE. FRIEND OR NEUTRAL? She is 'eternal' embracing the longer-than-historic view of everything. She's calm, patient and has a wry humor. The reader need not be sure of her. They'll be dead long before her story ends.
Rosa (João's great grandmother, may need another back story): Met before Part 1 and at beginning of 3 LOVES HER KIN, IS CONCERNED. She has come to terms with having the vampire trait. Has only stuck around so long (at her peril) to guide João. Many come to her aid. It may seem to the reader that she is abandoning João, but she must move on and he must grow up.
Lucinda (old vamp her flight is told in back story): Maybe João will meet her in the synagogue in Tomar or Belmonte (Part 3)? ACCEPTING OF FATE? He gains more knowledge and ultimately more empathy. She may very well be related by blood.
Expanded:

Climax:
Part 1: meeting a vampire. Why? Until then, João is joking. Reality smacks him.
Part 2. meeting a frightening glam vamp. Why? He's been trying to avoid himslef. One glam vamp destroys his strategy.
Part 3. meeting vampires in his ancestral village. Why? Facing who is is... whatever that is... becoming 'part' of a community... or not.
Final: Going back to Évora... upsetting the reader... until the Epilogue is read. Why does he go? Compassion.
Conflicts:
Part 1: not many conflicts or disasters until he must leave; just normal everyday 'stupid' young traveler stuff. Who? The 'vamps' and others are propelling him on his way and João is clueless.
Part 2: interior conflicts of who-I-am, normal traveling oopses; disaster getting severely ill; his grandmother dying. Who? Fellow travelers, including some without names. That one glam vamp...
Part 3: fear/anticipation of returning to Portugal; meeting vampires (they refuse him at first) and he goes on a 'quest'. Who? The 'vamps' he was 'guided' to meet the first time... and the 'vamps' he'll now try to find.

*Bullet* The Snowflake Method : Expand your sentence to a paragraph. Include the beginning, conflicts/disasters, climax, and end.

1. A young man travels to Portugal looking for beaches and vampires.
João decides to travel to Portugal after his great-grandmother suggests he visits the ancestral village. But he's young, easily distracted and heads to the beaches and parties. He jokes about meeting vampires, mentioning how he's a night-owl, always anemic, and doesn't like the heat. He laughs about this but not everyone laughs with him. He tours Portugal and Galicia visiting museums, visiting churches, collecting "pretty things". He eventually ends up in Évora... where everyone tells him vampires don't live (for good reason; it's hotter than hell in the summer) and... of course he meets one.

1a. João wants to take off a year and travel but he loves his grandmother. She encourages him to go... to Portugal.
1b. João goes to Lisbon (meets Thoom... on vacation? or does he meet Thoom in prologue?), Day 1,2,3
Museums, parties, undergound metro, church (São Roque with its gold) trollies, fado, food-sushi-pastel de nata ... a chance to give a real taste of Portugal. If J is there on April 25th, the Carnation Revolution becomes an interesting aside with its red carnations. A chance to meet Iván who he'll meet again. Collects a tile/cobble

1c. north to the beach at Nazaré, Day 4,5
Beach, old-fashioned lifestyle, fado, fishing, food-percebes, old church (J likes religious icons), funicular, collects a shell/religous trinket/doll,
1d. to party and listen to fado (important) in Coimbra, Day 6,7,8
"Coimbra tem mais encanto..." which the lyrics are changed to "A vida..." If there for the University serenata and cortejo this is an excellent time to meet Burçay or other travelers. Food-goat-port. Collects... part of a float or a trinket from the streets fallen from the parade. That or find something hidden in the botanical gardens... a kiss! Church where old kings are buried.

1e. follows his nose for wine to Porto (and gets lost nos azulejos de São Bento) Day 9,10,11:
The tiles in the train station tell historical stories, one will be important (Fillipa, the English Queen), food-françesinha-port. Collects in the old neighborhood of A Sé Velha or in the wine cellars (a cork?) Tiled church of São Ildefonso, marketplace

1f. tries to connect spiritually in Braga... doesn't. [may not be written...skip as he will go to Santiago de Compostela] Spritual center of Portugal, old Roman baths, Phoenician origins.
1g. goes off on a pilgrimage and stops in Tui/Valença. Day 12,13
Gets spooked by the age of the place. Food-lamprey in Valença, pilgrim house garden, ancient ruin part of town with spring, old town with church. Collect a snail shell

1h. visits Santiago de Compostela... sees both the intense emotion of the pilgrims and the material crassness. Day 14,15
Meets up with Iván Church, park, food-peppers, finds/filches an old cross in the church or at a shop.

1i. goes on a lark to A Coruña... but why? Day 16,17
Visits Pilar. Food-tostada. Old Roman lighthouse still in use. A city of glass, an old church, vibrant working town. Collects a piece of glass or a coin... 1490s would be appropo.

1j. How to get to the south or should it be to Évora? Flights from A Coruña or Santiago de Compostela to Faro go through Madrid and or London! Maybe all day on bus or train? Or should he stop in Lisbon (museums, Sintra) or Alcobaça (very old monastery and gardens) looking for something? But what? An object? Knowledge? Nothing he knows at the moment... one of those urges... suggested by someone? Day 18,19
1k. Tavira... a beach break... or so he thinks... Day 20,21
Food-typical-lunch-gelato, beach that stretches for miles, collects a worn skull/bones/moorish shard castle, museum of the Moors.

1l. Lagos. He meets Filipa, fangless goddess of the hostel world. Day 22,23,24,25 (an illness?)
Grottoes, museum,

1m. Cabo Sagres ties history together. Henrique, Filipa... him... hmmm. See Lagos.
more culture, sights, history. Collects a piece of wall, a stone

1n. He heads off to Évora and the megaliths... as old as... vampires. 26,27,28, 29
Food-clamsandpork. Collects a feather. Visits Roman Temple, university, fado café, megaliths, aqueduct

1o. Nelson at the hostel introduces João to a vampire... Anacleto.
1p. We all learn why vampires don't live in Évora... they go there to die. "Na quintana dos mortos"
(1q. Miranda de l Douro) The first time he goes he'll be turned away but this may come best at beginning of part 3 if not now. (a foreshadowing?)

THIS TRIP COULD BE ONE MONTH IN PORTUGAL... similar to 1 story day = 1 real-time writing. SPRING. Festivals in Lisbon, coimbra, Portugal... so dates need to be tweaked. City order isn't very important but it would make sense to not just go off in any direction in Part 1.

2. After meeting his first vampire, a young man travels around the world constantly running into more... not be choice.
João flees his family, his past, and Portugal. His heart murmur has acted up and he's feels he has to live 'fast'. He visits other cities around the world, going to places where people he has met live/visit (gives reason to visit these places). From Delft to Oslo to Gdansk to Tokyo... et cetera. He's running away but growing up in the process, his innocence and naïvity left behind during each adventure and a further illness (maybe sun sickness?). In Australia he meets a vicious glam vamp... frightened, he flees again but...


2a. Barcelona (to party, party, party... to try to forget...)
2b. Paris (Alfred)
2c. Luxembourg
2d. Brugge
2e. Delft (and/or Amsterdam) (Marloes, Hamed, an unknown Russian?)
2f. Bremen (and or Hamburg)
2g. Copenhagen and Christiania (Marloes)
2h. Ales Stenar ... or would be avoid ... (Mattias would get him there)
2i. Bergen (Huang, Frederico)
2j. Oslo (Renata, Nino)
2k. Ireland (Michele)
2l. Gdansk (Renata, Hiroki)
2m. Prague (Huang)
2m. Roma? (Frederico)
2n. Sarajevo (Nino)
2o. Turkey (Burçay)
2oo. Dubai/South Africa ... hmm... maybe not
2p. Tokyo (Hiroki)
2pp. Thailand (JP from home)
2q. Australia (Frederico, Marloes) Meets a glam vamp on Oxford Street in Sydney that frightens him.
2r. Home via Fiji or Hawai'i... receives word that his great-grandmother is dying.

Note: these stories need not seem to connect. More a travel log of someone running away from himself. The people he has met allows him an excuse to re-visit them. He becomes ill more than once, feels homesick, has been gone for awhile. The time frame need not be tight. There can be large gaps. The order takes him around the world in a reasonable way.

3. No longer innocent nor naïve, a young man returns to his ancestral village to mine secrets it does not wish to divulge.
His great-grandmother is in fine fiddle. She has no intention of dying... feels better than she has for decades... (garlic pills) ...but she must move. And before she leaves she has to tell João more about who/what he is... he has the vampire trait. And... she says he must go back to Portugal to deal with it. He returns, going to Miranda de l Douro where he's rejected. He's sent back to some of the people he met the first time, visiting new places to seek out vampires he must meet before he returns to Miranda de l Douro, where he'll meet a group of vampires for real. And learn who he is. He's faced with many options. He takes one, going back to Évora where the story ends. As João already knows: Vampires don't live in Évora... they go there to die.

3a. Great grandma's...
3b. Thoom's maybe.
3c. Lisbon probably.
3d. Miranda de l Douro... wwhere he is rejected. Sent to Lagos.
3e. Lagos part deux.
3f. Tomar. Meets Lucinda.
3g. Sent to Belmonte. To understand history and woundedness.
3h. Sent to Chaves. Why?
3i. Sent to Bragança. Why?
3j. Returns to Miranda de l Douro and meets up with the vampires. This part needs to take some time and depending on whether João has learned all he knows... could take more time. The stories of Lucinda and Thoom as well as his great grandmother become 'clear'. As does the importance of 'Hidden Secrets.'

End; Epilogue. "A vida ten mais encanto na hora de despedida" Does João kill the vampire who is waiting in Évora out of compassion? (Is it Anacleto or...?) Does he then stay... and for what reason... to what end?
Time? Less than one month in real time I suspect as João is on a mission. Each stories becomes more important, more urgent, more on edge/suspense.

*** NEED DISASTERS? See the Plot Twists generator at the bottom of the calendar. *Down*
What would a disaster look like:
1,2,3: A 'traveling disaster' like running out of money... missed connections
2: Family (his great-grandmother is dying) compelling him to return home.
1,2,3: Personal illness: a. he stays out in the sun too long; b. he eats too much garlic; c. he has an allergic reaction to silver (turning gray); d. he needs blood; e. he has exhausted himself... can be used more than once to slow him down; f. a wood splinter that festers. [These are especially useful in Parts 1 & 2 as he is finding out about himself.]

*Bullet* Bonus: Literary Device: Chronology ▼
Brainstorm the best chronology for your story and work it into your outline.
OPTIONS:
1. Linear Narrative - the story is told in the order the events occurred.
I've already done this... twice, but this is a tweaked fleshed-out version of Part 1:
.
STILL not for this story 2. Non-Linear Narrative - the story is told out of order.
STILL not for this story 3. Reverse Chronology - the story is told backwards.
STILL not for this story 4. In medias res - the story starts in the middle, goes back to explain how it got there, catches up, and then resolves.

5. Flashback/forward - individual scene(s) that take place prior to or after the current action.
Would consider using flashforward. (As dream premonition... that doesn't quite work out that way... or does) Miranda de l Douro vamps?
Flashbacks? A couple stories, João's meeting 1. with Thoom, 2. with his grandmother; 3. Lucinda's story may be best thought of as non-linear. Where to put them becomes the issue. 4. Anacleto's first meeting with Françoise. 5. Filipa's memory of when she was queen.
© Copyright 2015 Kåre Enga in Udon Thani (enga at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2062124-October-20th-assignment