*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2062213-Stood-up
Rated: E · Short Story · Men's · #2062213
Relates to a man's perspective on getting stood up on a date and his reaction to it

"Would you like to order now sir?" asked the waiter for the fifth time. Erin looked at his watch. It was half past 10. Three hours. He's been sitting in the same damn chair for three hours waiting on his date. He's surprised they haven't kicked him out yet. The restaurant isn't top of the notch high class, but with its pristine view of the skyline outside on the patio and the nice lighting, it causes a lot of sensation. Erin's been coming to this little hole in the wall since he was a child. It never seizes to amaze him he sighed contentedly and looked back down at his watch.

"No, just bring me the tab on these drinks I ordered," he replied still looking at his watch to avoid the pity shown in the younger man's eyes.

He couldn't believe Amy didn't show up. He thought they hit it off. They've been talking non-stop for the past three months; it was her idea to take their relationship to the next level. This would've been the first time he would have seen her in person. Maybe she got caught up at work. Given the hours she holds up being a certified Doctor at the local hospital, it wouldn't surprise him, but he'd think she would have at least called him. Maybe there was some type of emergency. There's no way she could have just stood him up like this. He wouldn't believe it, she sounded just as excited as he was when they agreed on the time and place of their meet and greet. The waiter came back with the tab, the pity still reflected in his eyes. Erin reached into his pocket for his wallet in disgust. He hated being pitied, it made him feel vulnerable. He threw down a 20 and walked out.

He should go by the hospital he thought, and make sure Amy was alright. He turned down the street that would take him to the hospital and stopped short at the sounds of laughter. The bar at the street corner was lively and packed for a Thursday night, but it wasn't a surprise. The bar was the best and rowdiest local sports bar in the city. Sports games were played every day of the week, pool tables always occupied, and great service. It pulled quite a crowd, Erin's even dropped in a few times. He made his way closer to the line formed at the entrance where customers were putting in their names and waiting to be brought inside to be seated. He heard it again. The same boisterous laugh only he knew that she could pull off. He couldn't believe it, as he got closer he saw her. Her short hair pinned up on her head, a leather jacket over a black flowy dress, and black heels. Her head was thrown back as she chortled at whatever the sandy haired line-backer was saying in her ear. Everything just stopped. Erin didn't understand, he thought they had something. He couldn't believe his eyes. Amy standing there all over that guy and laughing. She looked up and their eyes met, but it was like she didn't even recognize him. A hostess said a name and the line-backer led her inside taking that sweet boisterous laugh with them. It started to rain at some point he realized, turning around he lifted his jacket collar to shield his face and walked away. Reflecting on what he just saw, he realized that the only thing he really felt as he made his way through the oncoming traffic was disappointment.

© Copyright 2015 crazy socks (applepie123 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2062213-Stood-up