*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2062361-Haven-Island
Rated: E · Novel · Action/Adventure · #2062361
An allegory. See if you can figure out the hidden meaning
This is a rough draft of the first chapter of a novel I'm working on. It is intended to be an allegory.

In the middle of the Atlantic Ocean, there is a small island nation properly known as 'Haven Island.' The residents usually refer to it simply as 'The Island.' It measures 200 miles north to south and 100 miles east to west. The landscape is unique for being a small island. The southern region is very rugged and mountainous. The northern region is very lush and green.

The nation is divided into two territories: a northern territory and a southern territory. The northern territory is predominantly farmland. Residents make their living either by farming, working in the general stores or working in the northern territory's only hospital. The cash crop of the region is corn, but cotton, wheat and soybeans grow very well, also. The temperatures are never extreme, making it easy for farmers to plant and harvest year-round. There are a few general stores in the northern territory, but most of the residents get their supplies in the southern territory.

The southern territory is industrialized. There are several factories and businesses, large and small. Near the southeastern coast of the island are silver and gold mines. People come from far away to work in the mines, bringing with them state-of-the-art technology. A few factories manufacture products used specifically for mining. The mines are owned by a wealthy businessman named Mr. Derringer. He also owns MineCo, the largest manufacturer of mining products on the island.
© Copyright 2015 John Glover (johnkoehler at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2062361-Haven-Island