*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2062967-The-Big-One-Cometh
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Contest Entry · #2062967
This was the biggest storm seen in a long time. It was going to be the last one for some.

The Big One Cometh


     “This is the biggest storm I have seen. The last time I seen a storm like this was back in 2123. And this one is worse than that one.”

     Lollian looked like he was talking to himself. But he wasn’t. He was standing in front a Moving Image Monitor. The Moving Image Monitor was sitting on a Tall Table. And on that Monitor was Lollian.

     “You can’t see The Big One yet. When you do it’s going to be right behind me. They are calling this Coastal Storm ‘The Big One’ because it is the biggest storm anyone has seen in a long time.”

     After taking a short pause, Lollian did that a lot, Lollian continued. “I was just a Baby Reporter back in 2096 when the last big one attacked this coast. It’s wind speed was 180. And The Weather Experts are saying that this one is going to hit at least 200 before it attacks this coast. The Weather Experts are saying this one might be going as high as 225 to 230 when it actually hits this coast.”

     Lollian had to take a few breaths after that one. “The towns along this coast are used to storms hitting them. But nothing like this. Even The Older Ones, like me, who remember the last big one are afraid. Most of the residence of these town have left for higher ground. But there are a few, again like me, who are still. And who is going to stay here until the end.”

     “I’m not the only one here. There are about one hundred other Star Reporters here. But none of them are as close to where The Big One is going to hit the coast than I am. A lot of people thing I’m crazy. And they are probably right. But don’t get me wrong. As soon as that storm hits I am out of here. I have jets on both my arms – and both my legs.”

     “The Weather Experts don’t know how far inland The Big One is going to go. But they are saying it’s going to be anywhere from seven hundred to one thousand miles. It all depends on who you talk to. A lot of The Weather Experts are saying it’s going to be about a thousand – or a little more. About the only thing they do agree on is that any town in its path will be completely destroyed. The worst damage will be the coastal towns. They always are. But the towns just beyond the coast are going to get hit hard too.”

     “By the time The Big One finally dies out The Death Experts say there will be at least ten million Vistans dead. And according to the Damage Experts over a billion Vistans will lose their homes and businesses. This storm could mean disaster to this island in a lot more ways than just lost life and property.”

<<<<*>>>>

     Lollian Looked a lot different. The clothes he was wearing said some time had passed since the last time anyone had seen him. And it had. “It’s been three days since the so-called Experts said that The Big One would hit this coast. And it’s not here. It can’t even be seen yet. Maybe the Experts are wrong about the total numbers of miles, death and damages too.”

     “As you all know I haven’t been just standing here giving you the same details over and over again – like so many other Star Reporters are doing. I have also been talking to some of the Vistans who have stayed behind. What I wanted to know most of all was why they are still here. I’m here because I am a Star Reporter. But they don’t have to be.”

     “Most of them staying are staying because they have no other place to go. They have no family. And if they did have any friends they have already gone too. I’m not talking about The Big One either. I mean gone, gone as in dead. Some of the ones staying don’t want to leave their homes. And then there are those who don’t think it’s going to be as bad as everyone thinks that it is. I’m starting to think that way too.”

     Lollian wasn’t the only one there. And once again it wasn’t because of the other Star Reporters. It was because of the Vistans who stayed behind. They were all around him. But most of them were behind him. Those behind him were the first ones to start panicking. Lollian didn’t need to know what they were screaming about. He could see it on the Moving Image Monitor in front of him. The Big One had arrived.

     “It looks like I was wrong again. The Big One has finally arrived.” Lollian looked behind him. “This storm is a lot bigger than I thought, probably anyone thought, it was going to be. Did it get bigger as it got here?”

     The big One hit the coast with a vengeance. As soon as it did Lollian hit a button on his chest. That ignited the arm and leg jets. When it did Lollian went flying into the air. He stopped himself just above The Big One. “It doesn’t look too bad from up here. I mean The Big One. The coast is getting hit just as hard, if not harder, as the Experts said they would. It looks like I was wrong about the Experts too.”

     “What’s going on?” Lollian just lost one of his left Arm Jet. That knocked him off balance. It also sent him right for the storm within. Lollian tried to stop himself. But he couldn’t. One second he was reporting The Big One and the next he was in it.

     As Lollian was twisting and turning toward the point of The Big One below his headband with his Image Gem on it fell off. That’s the last anyone saw of it – or Lollian.


The End?


© Copyright 2015 PureSciFi (spacefaction at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2062967-The-Big-One-Cometh