*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2064543-Use-of-Computers-at-the-workplace
Rated: E · Other · Technology · #2064543
This research was done by IUC final year student, Kimberley Buchanan.
https://www.amazon.com/Scholastic-Educational-Research-Technology-Mathematics/dp...

According to Kraft (2014) “Computers really are everywhere, from cash registers to diagnostic tools on auto shop floors. Wineries have web sites and Electricians have e-mail. Since mainframe computers first emerged in the workplace in the 1960s, organizations have progressively become more reliant on computer-driven technologies to handle everything from complex data analysis to daily communications. Computers help even the smallest of small businesses to operate effectively with a minimal amount of resources. In an increasingly competitive marketplace, computers could almost be considered as vital to organizational survival as food and water is to human survival.”
Computers are defined as ‘a programmable electronic device designed to accept data, perform prescribed mathematical and logical operations at high speed, and display the results of these operations’ (Dictionary.com, 2015).
Information Technology on the other hand is ‘the development, implementation and maintenance of computer hardware and software systems to organize and communicate information electronically’ (Dictionary.com, 2015).
This paper answers the following questions:
1. How computers are used in the work place and the wider society?
2. How organizations benefit directly from Information Technology?

Computers are used on a daily basis by most, if not all general work places and in the wider society. Where it concerns the work places, they are used for storing data, calculations, record keeping, research, networking and communicating etc. As to the wider society, computers are used for socializing, shopping and mode of general entertainment by many worldwide. In only a few generations, the computer has gone from being a mysterious tool accessible to a privileged few to a common tool used by people at all levels of labor in almost every industry as well as the public in general. Technology in the workplace allows businesses to expand quickly and efficiently by the use of video conferencing, social networks and virtual office technology has removed workplace boundaries that previously limited business expansion.

IMPROVE COMMUNICATION
Information Technology in business is important because it improves the mode of communication in the workplace, thus meaning that office workers are not limited to phone calls or inter-office mail to interact with one another anymore. Mediums of communication used are through Electronic-Mail, Internet and Social Media sites like Facebook and LinkedIn have been instrumental in keeping workers in touch both within companies and between different companies to send messages instantly without interrupting the recipient (speed and reliability of communication).

HUMAN CAPITAL & EFFICIENCY
Technology in the workplace improves the efficiency of screening, recruiting and hiring potential candidates and saves times by speeding up the work flow process. Businesses utilize the Internet to spread the word about the organization and advertise job openings and utilize personality assessments and screening tools allow businesses to determine whether a potential candidate is an appropriate fit for the organization. (Scott, 2015)
This can also be used by the wider society as this is a vice-versa mode of human capital. Persons use the computer to view these job opportunities and make the job search easier. The use of computer systems allows corrections to be made instantly. Resources like electronic files (digital filing systems) which reduce paper and printing costs in order to save space and access to information technology are available with the click of a button.

MOBILITY
The use of Information Technology in the workplace practically eliminates space and time. Video conferencing technology lets businesses on any part of the globe interact with one another as well as reduces travel costs through virtual meetings and distribution of data without the need to be in the same room.

INFORMATION STORAGE
One of the most accepted specifics of the computer technology is the quantity of information they are capable of storing. This can be utilized both inside and outside of the workplace. Information such as documents, pictures, and videos etc., are all examples of the capability.

COMPUTATION & RESEARCH
Computers operate via the interaction of complex arithmetic algorithms in other words the computer perform mathematical equations and operations that Mathematicians, Engineers, Scientists (can also be used for research), Actuaries and any other professional working with numbers will find productivity increased exponentially through computers.
The Internet as we now know it evolved and grew from ARPA (Advanced Research Project Agency Network) net. The public with aid of the Internet can research virtually any topic imaginable and this benefits all industries, but writers, students, journalists, travel agents, politicians and lawyers probably get some of the most use out of it.

ENTERTAINMENT
Computers are used as entertainment purposes as well, in the workplaces; they can be used as a break time hobby or relaxation. Programmers and other computer workers designed the first computer games to entertain themselves. While people do not (usually) play these games at work, all of these products are developed on computers by large staffs of designers, programmers, artists, musicians, database administrators and even play-testers.


How organizations benefit directly from Information Technology?

PRINTERIES AND GRAPHIC DESIGNS
In Printeries and Graphic Designs, the organization uses a wide range of online services to purchase equipment, and utilities in order to conduct their day-to-day activities.

INTERNATIONAL CALL CENTERS
This type of organization benefits directly from information technology mainly because its operations base solely through the use of the internet and software applications such as Video Conferencing, International Calling and Networking etc.

BANKS
Banks benefit directly from information technology mainly because in order to connect to the other branches (local and international), for example, the use of a network which is developed using the connectivity of the internet as well as the use of the computer in order to store customer data and conduct daily operations.

AIRLINES
Airlines all over the world directly benefit from information technology. The daily activities are based and operated strictly through the use of advanced networking and satellite technology. Without this dependence on technology, the airlines could not operate or function successfully. 

References:

Dictionary.com (2015), retrieved on September 15, 2015

Kraft, D., (1997-2014), Importance of Computers in the Workplace, The Nest, retrieved on
September 16, 2015

Scott, S., Importance of Technology in the Workplace, Demand Media retrieved on September
16, 2015

Sheahan, K., 2015, What Are the Advantages of Information Technology in Business? Hearst
Newspaper, LLc, retrieved on September 16, 2015
© Copyright 2015 Claude H. A. Simpson (teach600 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2064543-Use-of-Computers-at-the-workplace