*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2064850-Earth-Guardians
by Nix
Rated: E · Short Story · Contest · #2064850
Protect the Earth at any cost
Tower, grass, wall
Word count 300

Earth Guardians


“Tell us again grandpa, about the Earth Guardians.” pleaded Chris and Emma.

“About two hundred years ago, the Earth had more or less been destroyed. It had been ravaged with war, polluted and stripped of all natural resources. There were only a thousand people who decided to stay and fight to save the planet that humans had called home for many of thousands of years. The rest had left for Mars.”

“I don't understand how people could make such a mess and leave.” muttered Chris

“Neither do I my boy. The Guardians built a single tower. The exterior walls were covered in a layer of living vegetation. The grasses provided us with clean oxygen, while absorbing the toxins causing hazardous air quality. It didn't take long for the animals to slowly start to appear. First a few bees, then some butterflies and birds. Of course it wasn't just that easy, we had to change how we did everything, from growing food to manufacturing.”

“Oh, is that why our world flag has a picture of a tree with a bee etched into the trunk?” Asked Emma.

“You're spot on. When the New World district was created, the Guardians turned the bee into a symbol of hope for our future and remind us of the mistakes of the past. Slowly, another 50 towers were built. Each better than the last. There's still a long way go, but the Earth is improving everyday.”

“I hope it never goes back to the old ways.” said Chris.

“Don't worry, that will never happen.” The grandpa touched the silver knife, embossed with the symbol of a bee, hidden in his boot. It marked him as an Earth Warrior. A secret sect formed to protect the Earth and to execute anyone who would harm it.



© Copyright 2015 Nix (nix2015 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2064850-Earth-Guardians