*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2065241-talk-to-me
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Action/Adventure · #2065241
getting things back to normal takes some work... and some liquor
Taking a deep breath, she softly wrapped her knuckles on the door. When there was no response, she took another deep, purposeful breath and knocked louder. There was still no response. She exhaled loudly through her nose in frustration and crossed her arms, turning her back on the door to leave before coming to an abrupt halt. Biting her lip, she leaned forward and moved her head from side to side, scanning the hallway. Seeing it deserted, she slowly backed towards the door and reached her hand behind her to turn the knob. It turned easily. Cautiously, she opened the door just enough to sneak her petite frame through and gently shut it behind her.

The soles of her boots clicked against the tiles of floor, echoing in the large space. She started at the large dresser, her hands hovering over the handles to the top drawer of the rich mahogany armoire. She bit her lower lip and stared at her hands on the drawer before finally pulling it open. Inside were tunics, neatly folded. The other two drawers were more of the same, with various stockings and trousers folded and tidily stashed away in the drawer. She opened the doors to find more formal attire hanging neatly. She ran her fingers over the dark, sturdy fabric of the uniform coat, her thumb passing over the marvelous gold buttons on the cuff. Dark boots sat at the bottom of the armoire, clean and shiny, all traces of mud polished away.

She moved passed the washbasin where a comb and folded towel sat next to large bowl of clean water, covering the peripherals of her eyes to avoid seeing herself in the mirror that hung above. She knelt in front of the trunk that sat at the foot of the wrinkle-less, tightly made bed, the corners of the thin sheets precisely folded and tucked under the mattress. She opened the trunk gingerly, revealing the delicately organized contents. Chainmail lay at the bottom next to a sharpening stone. Placed on top were swords tucked away inside their protective sheaths and two matching daggers, the handles artfully crafted. She pulled a sword from its place near the top of the trunk and slowly began to remove it from its sheath, her reflection shining back at her in the beautifully polished metal. When she had it fully removed, it slid apart revealing that it was not one sword, but two halves. She took one in each hand, testing the weight of them. She twirled the half in her right hand skillfully while awkwardly holding the other in her left before putting the weapons back together inside their sheath and slipping them back in their proper place in the trunk. As she began to close the trunk, she stopped suddenly, reached her hand back inside, and pulled out a braided lock of hair. She pressed her lips together and tilted her head to the side as she ran her index finger over the soft, dark tresses. Taking a deep breath, she set the braid back in the trunk and closed it, and stood to leave. Her eyes widened as she turned to see a man standing in the doorway. Quickly, she reset her face to an impassive expression.

"We need to talk," she said.

He stood, still leaning against the door frame, eyes staring into hers.

"You cannot just ignore me," she said, raising her voice slightly.

Finally, he took his eyes off her as he removed his tunic and threw it over the back of a chair. His torso glistened with a thin layer of perspiration, matching the sweat that collected on the back of his neck and at his temples. He reached his hands into the bowl of water, splashed his face and dried it with the towel. He neatly refolded the towel and placed it back beside the bowl.

Still shirtless, he brushed by her and opened the trunk, his hands running over the contents and moving them back into place.

"How long had you been standing there?" she asked quietly.

He shut the trunk and stared into her eyes again. She diverted her gaze from his and walked towards the door, stopping when she reached the threshold.

"I cannot believe you kept that," she said, tugging at the ends of her long, dark hair with her fingers.

"I never go leave the palace without it," he answered without looking up.

She nodded, her lips pressed together and her brows furrowed. She took another step out the door before turning and looking back at him.

"Danny... Please do no shut me out - not right now." Her voice was pleading.

Though his expression softened, he avoided looking at her.

"Later, Kat. I just need time to think," he said, staring at the floor.

Katarina nodded again and exited the room then, slowly closing the door behind her. She wrapped her arms tightly around her waist and took a deep breath before walking down to the other end of the hallway to her own quarters.

She entered her room, slamming the door behind her. Not bothering to remove her boots, she flopped face down on her unmade bed and laid there, blissfully undisturbed for the rest of the afternoon. It was not until the sun had begun to set low in in the sky that she heard a knock at her door.

"Miss?" a voice called out sheepishly outside the room, "Supper will be ready soon."

"Thank you, Abigail, but I actually do not feel well. I think I will just stay in my room."

"Are you sure, Miss Katarina?"

"Yes, thank you, Abigail."

When the sound of Abigail's footsteps trailed off down the hallway, Katarina laid her head back down and covered it with her blankets.

"Kat?" another voice asked from behind the door a few minutes later.

"Ray? Is that you?" she asked using her native language.

"May I come in?" the voice answered in kind.

"Of course."

Cautiously, Raymund opened the door and peeked his head around before fully entering the room.

"How are you holding up?" he asked, his eyebrows raised in concern.

"I have been better," Katarina said with a half smile. She sat up on the side of her bed.

"You know you are going to get through this, right?" Raymund asked, sitting down next to her.

She nodded.

"Danny is a good man - a good warrior, a king now. It is a very good match. This is a great honor for our people, Kat."

She nodded again.

"I know this is not helping, but the council chose you because you are strong, Kat," Raymund put his arm around her shoulders, "And because you are the only person he fears." He gave her shoulders a playful squeeze.

Katarina let out a small chuckle, "Well, thank you, Ray. You always know how to cheer me up."

"And Kat," he said, turning to look in her eyes, "I do not care what they tell you - you can always come back home."

Katarina wrapped her arms around Raymund in a hug and then rested her head on his shoulder. They sat together like that until they were interrupted by another knock at the door.

"Who is it now?" Katarina growled, switching back to the common language.

"It's me."

Raymund walked to the door and looked at Katarina. When Katarina had nodded, he opened it to reveal Daniel as the source of the voice.

"I will see you later, okay?" Raymund said back to Katarina, also reverting back to the common tongue.

Daniel cleared his throat. "Ray," he said, sticking out his hand.

Raymund's mouth was in a stern line and his eyes were narrowed. "That is my baby sister, Danny," he said quietly, accepting Daniel's handshake. Suddenly, his face perked up into a wide grin as he brought his free hand up to Daniel's face and gave it a light tap before strolling out of the room. Daniel raised one eyebrow as he watched him exit, then moved away from the doorway.

"Oh, and Danny - "

Daniel looked back at the doorway to see Raymund's head poking around the door frame.

"Are we still hunting tomorrow or...?"

"Well," Daniel began, rubbing the back of his neck, "I guess I will have to see what my schedule is like now..." he looked warily toward Katarina.

"Now that you are marrying my sister," Raymund finished for him.

"Yes," Daniel said, scrunching his eyebrows.

"Sure. Let me know," Raymund replied before finally leaving. Daniel shook his head and rolled his eyes.

"He had really been looking forward to that. I hope you do not have to cancel," Katarina said, raising her eyebrows.

The two stood there in silence for several long seconds. Finally, Katarina sighed and flopped backwards on her bed, her arms outstretched above her head.

"Is this how it is going to be now?" she said, covering her eyes with her hands. "Completely unable to talk to each other?"

"I could really use a drink," Daniel said suddenly. "Want to get out of here?"

"I will get my cloak," she answered, jumping up from her bed.
© Copyright 2015 scooter (lil_scooter93 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2065241-talk-to-me