*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2065316-On-Ignorance-and-stupidity-part-1
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Essay · Educational · #2065316
a brief definition of the two key terms
Stupid people abound! Everywhere you look, there's another stupid person doing or saying another stupid thing. Few will argue the fact that the general IQ of the unwashed masses has plummeted dramatically over the last few decades. The popularity of reality television, and certain political candidates, is plenty of evidence. If not, even the most cursory examinations of the lyrics of any 5 top 40 pop songs will certainly quiet the most vehement of protesters to the fact.

Our brains are bombarded with unfiltered ignorant crap almost every second of waking life. DNA test talk shows. Dating apps. Unsubstantiated Facebook posts. The list is endless.

What can we blame for this avalanche of mental waste? I am immediately tempted to ask, does it matter? Stupid is as stupid does. Trying to figure out it's whys and hows is a waste of your own precious mental facilities. Better to just accept that it is part of the world,and learn how to recognize it quickly, so as to be able to most effectively lessen the effects of stupid in your own life.

It is important at this point to make a distinction. There are some very important differences between being stupid and being ignorant. Stupid is mainly the inability to process information, or the inability to effectively use information to solve a problem. Sally does not understand her English reading assignment because she is stupid. Therefore the children will all make fun of her at school tomorrow, and she will cry. Stupid only becomes a problem when it is willful, due to laziness, or accompanied by a spiteful and resentful attitude. Ignorance is the state of choosing a stupid attitude, belief, or action, despite all evidence and logic. Sally claims to believe that all people are born with certain rights (whether derived from a deity, a manmade document, or whatever criteria she thinks is important and relevant), yet protests granting immunity to political refugees from neighboring countries. Sally claims to believe in a day's work for a day's wage, but does not believe that fast food workers should make a livable wage. Sally believes that there should be prayer in school, but will spit on a woman passing by her who happens to be wearing a hijab. Sally is a hypocrite. Sally is an asshole. Sally is ignorant.

The differences, though subtle, are important to understand. One must clearly identify if they are dealing with someone who is merely stupid or a fully formed ignorant douche to be able to plan an effective response.
© Copyright 2015 Dyvynyty (dyvynyty at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2065316-On-Ignorance-and-stupidity-part-1