*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2065519-Something-Horror-This-Way-Comes
Rated: E · Short Story · Contest Entry · #2065519
A mother doesn't listen to her son..
"It was a night like any other night in our house. My husband was putting our son to bed, like he does every night. After talking with him for a while, he came down to go to bed and I was left at the computer, typing away. Isn't that what someone on WDC does most of the time? Anyway, I continued to type and think of the story I was typing about.

One of the groups had this contest with "Something Horror this Way Comes," as a prompt. Or something like that. I remembered a show like it once. It was called" Something Wicked this way comes." Ray Bradbury wrote it. He is a master in writing these types of stories. Below is a summary of the prologue. It will give you some idea of what it's like."

Even before the introduction of the carnival into Something Wicked This Way Comes, Bradbury prepares us for its arrival. First in the preparation is his juxtaposition between bad and good: "It was October, a rare month for boys. Not that all months aren't rare. But there be bad and good, as the pirates say." This early juxtaposition is important to note since it will later have strict relevance on Bradbury's use of carnival imagery. The prologue also introduces Jim and Will, and indicates that the experiences which are to follow will cause them both to grow up overnight.

In the movie, Jason Robards is one of the main characters. He was a supporting actor. The main ones, are the two boys, Jim Nightshade and Will Holloway. It's a very Dark Carnival indeed. The book leads you to the carnival and all its' creeping things there.

Hold on, my son is saying something and I don't understand him....I'll be write back. (a little joke on my part)

"What's wrong honey, let's take you back to bed. What? No, there are no ghosts upstairs. Yes, I know, we've had two people die who lived up here in those rooms. But they are with God now, and they're watching over you. So, go to bed and know you have angels keeping watch there and me and dad down here, okay?
Okay hon. See you in the morning."

"Okay, I'm back. Sorry about that."

"What, honey go to sleep, everything is okay. Yes, I know tomorrow is Monday, now, go to sleep!"

"Where was I. Oh yes, the book, I haven't read it, but now, I want to. The movie is excellent, and I recommend both.. I have been trying to think of something for this contest because it's over tonight. No time, probably for me to finish it.

"What? Why aren't you in bed asleep? I told you to go to bed some time ago, and you are still up. If you don't get in bed, and turn off your light , I will have to take your games away for a week or more, and I don't want to do that. You want me to come upstairs and tuck you in? Okay, hold on, I have to let everyone know.

Sorry, I have to go do this or he won't go to sleep. Be back in a jiff.

CF, you need to get in bed now. I have to get back and write. What do you mean you want me to check out the bedrooms. Okay, just this one time. I have done this before for you, and there is never anyone there." To appease him I walk down to the last bedroom, it's straight across from his. I don't turn the light on, because I know what's in there. It's his game room. It use to be his mothers and my mothers. They died within two days of each other, several years apart. I thought it was peculiar. Nothing in here, I said to him." I walked to the middle bedroom and looked in, "nothing here either honey. Now, please go to sleep. You'll have school tomorrow." I said, walking back towards his room to give him a kiss.

"Mo...Mo..." What? "Mo...I feel a cold touch on my shoulder. "Oh honey, you didn't have to get up, I said turning around. I started to yell, but the two ladies, not ladies, something evil, grabbed me. One stuck its' boney hand into my mouth, the taste was of dirt and algae and dead. I heard my son scream. I heard my husband come running, but with their wicked hands, they had them stretched around my neck, and before I could say another word, I heard a snap. That's when they released me. I saw, but could not talk. I saw, but could not feel.
,
"Lynda, Lynda, what happen? Can you move?" All I could do was stare. The evil ladies, if you wish to call them ladies, were gone. I knew it wasn't long before I would be gone too. If only I could have finished talking about Ray Bradburys' book I thought to myself. Stupid thought, why didn't I believe my son. I became tired and the blackness seeped into my body.

904 words


"Lynda was pronounced dead at 10:36 P.M. I still don't know what happened to her. My son has not talked since that night. I know she was writing to you or some story, so if by some chance you can give me any clue at all, please write back on her port."

Thank you,

WF Miller
© Copyright 2015 Lynda Miller (lmiller7569 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2065519-Something-Horror-This-Way-Comes