*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2065630-Finding-the-Christmas-Spirit
by Jules
Rated: E · Essay · Inspirational · #2065630
A retired Woman feels alone and lacking Christmas spirit.

Panasik Finding the Christmas Spirit



Finding the Christmas Spirit



Hailey Coltrane paced in the kitchen waiting for the coffee to stop dripping from the filter. Something is missing. Hailey thought swiping a strand of her gray hair from her face. I feel like I have a hole inside of me. It's been two years since I retired. I miss feeling valued, like I matter. She sighed. Maybe a part time job would fill this hole. Full time would be too much. I need conversation. I so miss my students, their laughter and constant chatter, the drama of the girls with their boyfriends, and the boys with their sports. She filled her coffee mug leaning against the granite counter. Retrieving her cell phone from the table Hailey punched in the high schools phone number, still on her phone after two years. The secretary at the school answered and checked her computer for positions available. She replied the only job open was for a bus driver. Hailey pondered on that for a while, finishing her coffee and decided how perfect it would be. So that afternoon Hailey put in the work, took the exam, and became a bus driver two weeks later.

Approaching the first stop, on her first day, she saw five students huddled together in an effort to keep warm. Opening the door a gush of arctic air blew inside chilling Hailey to the bone as the students boarded the bus. Driving her scheduled route, she listened to the girls who sat behind her rattle on about their Christmas lists. Hailey sighed, realizing it was two weeks before Christmas and she had no Christmas spirit.

At her sixth stop she watched a girl board the bus, a girl she didn't recognize. She had no hat, no gloves, and a tattered waist coat. Her shoulder length brown hair was stringy, unwashed, her eyes stared at the floor, no smile, expressionless. Her arms were wrapped protectively around her hunched over body. Hailey watched her in the rear view mirror as she chose an empty seat. The other students didn't greet or acknowledge her existence.

Upon completing the route the kids filed out, but one boy, named Jeremy: crewcut, dimpled cheeks, dressed in army fatigues, stopped to tell her a joke each morning. He walked behind the girl Hailey didn't recognize. She had to ask, "Hey Jeremy, who was the girl ahead of you?"

"A new girl, she's in my biology class, kind of quiet. I think her name is Lisa. I don't remember her last name. Why is she in trouble or something?" Jeremy asked. He shifted his backpack to his other shoulder.

"No nothing like that. I hadn't seen her before, thank you Jeremy have a good day. "

"Bye Ms. Coltrane, you too." He yelled as he dashed into school.

After running a few errands and having lunch Hailey returned to school for her afternoon shift. The bell rang and the school doors sprang open as if a horse race was beginning. Hailey opened the bus doors as the kids piled in. What a difference from this morning. She thought.

Giggles and chatter filled the bus. Then Lisa entered. Her arms still wrapped around her body, her book bag drooped from her shoulders. She observed Lisa for a week. Lisa never cracked a smile, never talked with anyone, kept to herself.

Then on Friday, Hailey watched Lisa sit down with two other girls. No Lisa don't sit with those girls. I can spot trouble when I see it. Hailey thought. Their makeup was thick like clowns, snapped their chewing gum. She noticed their slit glossed over eyes. There on something. There tight leather jackets revealed their bodies and not in a flattering way. Boarding the bus Hailey coughed and turned her head from the smoke permeating from their bodies.

I've got to do something to save Lisa. Hailey pondered. I can't watch her ruin her life with these girls. "Hi there!" Hailey said smiling at Lisa hoping for a response.

The girl looked up. Without saying a word she continued toward the back of the bus.

That went well. Hailey closed the bus door. When the girl's stop arrived at Main and Hawkins, Hailey tried again.

"Hi I'm Hailey. What's your name?" She tapped her thumb on the steering wheel.

The girl gazed into her eyes. Lisa whispered, "What does it matter?"

"I like to know my students? You do have a name?" Hailey cocked her head.

The girl sighed. "Lisa. Lisa Walters." She turned and was about to descend the steep stairs.

"Lisa, do you like Christmas cookies?" Hailey threw it out despite how weird that sounded.

She turned facing Hailey. "Yes who doesn't?" Her right eyebrow rose slightly.

"I happen to be an expert in baking cookies. Would you help me?"

"Help you how?" She asked nervously. "I don't even know you?"

"I have five dozen cookies to bake and I really need the help. How about it? Tomorrow after school meet me at the Home Economics classroom 106. Do you know where the room is located?"

The girl nodded. "I guess. How will I get home?"

"I'll drive you home."

"Okay, I guess that will be alright." Lisa walked out.

On her drive home Hailey stopped at the grocer to pick up the ingredients for the Christmas cookies.

After she finished her route she parked the bus. Hailey grabbed the box of ingredients from the seat and dashed inside the school. Quickly she walked down the hallway waving to teachers who lagged behind, most likely from grading papers. Opening the classroom door she spotted Lisa alone, in the dark at a table wearing ear plugs.

"Okay, it's time for a tour." She showed her where all the pots, bowls, utensils and dishes were stored. Then she spread the ingredients across the counter.

Lisa remained quiet focused on Hailey's instructions. Once the dough was mixed and rolled out, Lisa began talking about her classes. By the time they were putting sprinkles on the cookies Lisa actually smiled.

After placing the last sheet in the oven, Lisa said." I lost my dad three months ago, he was in the army."

Hailey plopped down in the chair next to her. "I'm so sorry." She reached over and squeezed Lisa's hands.

"Then mom had to find a job. So we sold our house and moved here." Lisa whispered. "I miss my friends and my old neighborhood.' She fidgeted with her fingers.

"I bet. It's hard to start over. But you will make new friends after a while." Hailey hugged her. Together they cleaned the pans and bowls returning everything to their place.

Lisa wiped down the countertops and tables. "The cookies smell great and they're so festive." She glanced over them taking a picture with her phone. Then they scooped them into decorative tins.

Hailey glanced at her watch. "My, I can't believe its six o'clock already. I need to get you home. Do you need to call your mom to let her know you're on your way?"

"No, she's at work." Lisa muttered shaking her head.

"Does your mom work this late every day?"

Lisa shook her head. "Yes she works nights too."

Noticing the way Lisa looked at these cookies Hailey changed her mind. "Share these cookies with your mom?" She unlocked her car door.

Her face dropped. "Aren't they going to a charity?" Lisa sounded disappointed.

"Tell you what. Next time the cookies will be for the charities. Would you like that?"

Lisa's eyes grew big as quarters. "I would love to make more cookies this was fun."

"We don't have a lot of time left, you know." Hailey tapped her watch. "Next week is Christmas. "Are you busy Thursday?"

"I will be here." Lisa smiled. "This was fun. Thank you Ms. Coltrane."

"My friends call me Hailey." She patted Lisa's hand.

On the drive home Lisa talked nonstop about various television programs. Hailey knew her next assignment was getting her to read books. When she pulled into Lisa's driveway the house was dark. "Do you want me to come in with you, until your mom gets home?"

"No," Lisa replied. "I'm fine really. Got some homework to finish up, thanks again Hailey I had a great time tonight." She climbed out and closed the car door waving as she unlocked her front door.

For the first time this season, Hailey selected a Christmas station and sang traditional Christmas songs on her way home. To end her evening on a good note Hailey smiled while writing her Christmas cards.

The next morning Hailey greeted Lisa as she boarded the bus. "Good morning Lisa." Hailey gripped the large steering wheel and leaned forward.

"I did thank you." Lisa wore a big smile. She leaned closer to Hailey, "Thanks again for last night, she whispered.

"Your hair looks cute this morning. Hailey noticed her hair was washed and styled. "Aren't you cold though without a hat and gloves?"

"Thank you. I'm fine." She changed the subject, "Tomorrow night right?"

"Yep same place don't be late." Hailey closed the doors and waited until Lisa sat down. This morning she sat with a nicely dressed girl, who Hailey knew was involved in school activities.

The next evening Hailey arrived early, she had purchased a table tree that came with ornaments and under the tree she placed a present for Lisa, a hat with matching gloves.

Lisa entered the room and introduced the woman standing by her side. "Hailey this is Sharon, my mom." Lisa stated proudly.

Hailey smiled, reaching out her hand. "Nice to meet you Mrs. Walters, you have a special daughter."

"I had to meet the woman who took such an interest in my daughter. Lisa's father passed away three months ago, and I've been working day and night shifts to make ends meet. For the first time since he passed, Lisa and I talked as we decorated the house. Not to mention eating those delicious cookies. I simply had to thank you."

"You are welcome, now roll up your sleeves and start rolling out the dough these cookies are going to the homeless." Hailey brought her Ipod playing the traditional Christmas songs.

On her drive home, it occurred to Hailey that not only had her friendship with Lisa resulted in several batches of Christmas cookies, but also a wonderful batch of Christmas spirit."



























6

© Copyright 2015 Jules (juliebirdlover at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2065630-Finding-the-Christmas-Spirit