*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2065971-Visiting-Grandma
Rated: E · Fiction · Family · #2065971
Flash Fiction written for 'So Emotional'
Visiting Grandma


I walked through the sterile corridors, my stomach lurching at the disinfected smell of desperation. I hated this place, it held so many painful memories.

“Georgia,” the old lady called the moment she saw me. Her eyes lit up and she dabbed them with her handkerchief. I pulled a chair next to her bed and she took my hand.

“Georgia, my dear. It’s wonderful to see you.” Still, she held my hand.

As I looked into my grandmother’s eyes, I caught a glimpse of the woman she once was. She beamed, her whole face brightening and I saw the beautiful debutant, coyly agreeing to dance with my grandfather some fifty odd years ago.

“Tell me about your course, dear. ” She closed her eyes and tipped back her head as I began to speak.

When I finished, my grandmother gazed into my eyes, tilting her head. “Oh, Georgia, it’s wonderful to see you.” She leaned forward and hugged me, squeezing as tight as her tired arms could manage.

“It is, Grandma. I’ve missed you.”

“Cup of tea, Joan?” The nurse interrupted our embrace. As she handed Grandma her drink, the nurse turned to me. “So you’re Georgia? Your Grandma never stops talking about you, she’s been looking forward to your visit all week.”

My Grandma lowered her eyes and flushed red. The nurse continued, “Such a shame you’re only home for a few days.”

I looked at Grandma and noted her faded smile. “I know it’s not long, but I’m here now, let’s make the most of it. Can I take Grandma for a spin in her wheelchair?”

The nurse nodded and Grandma beamed, her face lighting up as she clutched my hand. “That will be lovely, Georgia. Let me treat you to a cake in the cafe.”

297 words
© Copyright 2015 Choconut ~ House Targaryen (purplesunday at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2065971-Visiting-Grandma