*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2066053-The-Check-List
Rated: E · Short Story · Sci-fi · #2066053
Holidays come and go. But this one has come a lot quicker than usual it seems.

The Check List


     After frantically searching through the Ice Box Scorim found something to eat. As he closed it he noticed the Monthly Dates embedded into it. Each day had been ‘Xed’ out with a big red ‘X’ - until today. Just then it’s ‘Xed’ out too.

     “It’s less than a week before the holiday.” Scorim walked into the Living Area eating. “Where has this month gone.”

     “I don’t know.” Avvi sat in a chair next to Scorim – also eating something. “It seems like it’s only been a week since the first of the month.”

     Scorim leaned back in his Lean Back Foot Chair and closed his eyes after finishing eating. “I know we have been busy this month. But I didn’t think we have been that busy.”

     “Neither did I.” Avvi stopped eating too. She grabbed her Food Holder, then his, and headed back into Food Preparation. “Where did we put that check list of everything we needed to do this month?”

     “I think it’s over here by me – somewhere.” Scorim straightened up. And started looking through the pile of mess on the Junk Holder next to him. By the time he had found it Avvi had returned.

     “Does that list tell us where this month has gone?” Avvi snatched the list from his hands.

     Scorim screamed in pain. “You cut me with you grabbed that list.”

     “Poor baby. Do you want mommy to kiss it and make it better?”
Scorim knew she was kidding.

     “You’re not my mother. You are my little sister.” Scorim got up and with his finger in his mouth along the side he left the room. He came back a minute later – with a thin white cloth wrapped around his finger sloppily.

     “Let me take care of that.” Avvi got up, unwrapped the cloth, and rewrapped it properly.

     “I could have done that.” Scorim picked of the Portable Video Monitor Controls and turned on the Video monitor.

     “Then why didn’t you?” Avvi looked at him first. Then the Video Monitor in front of them. “What junk are you going to watching now.”

<<<<<>>>>>

     According to the Timer on the box under the Video Monitor it’s about two hours later. “I can’t believe it’s been just over a month when we signed our life way on a new place to live.” Avvi took her eyes off of her Portable Data Monitor and looked over at Scorim. Who had fallen half asleep while watching a Professional Athletic Event.

     “And only a couple of days we finalized the agreement.” Scorim always half slept restlessly.

     “I thought you were asleep.” Avvi returned to her Monitor.

     Scorim straightened up again – and looked at Avvi. “I was just restless. There’s nothing on the Video Monitor at the mement.”

     “There never is. But that hasn’t stopped you before.” Avvi didn’t take her eyes off the Monitor.

     “It was a day after we got our new place that we got our new Transport.” Scorim quickly changed the subject. Avvi looked like she was getting mad.

     “Speaking of the new car, The Proof of Purchase came in the Mail Tube today.” Avvi returned to her monitor again.

     “The same day our first Financial Obligation began.” Scorim went back to restlessness.

<<<<<>>>>>

     Avvi entered the Living Area. And noticed Scorim had turned up the sound of the Video Monitor. “I was only gone a few minutes.” Avvi looked at the Timer. According to it it’s about an hour later.

     “My favorite Event is about to start. I wonder if our Second Sister will be there with her mate.” Scorim didn’t take his eyes off the monitor.

     “Is it Present? If it is then she isn’t there. She contacted us today.” Avvi sat down in her chair.

     “How many Units is Gleana looking for now. I knew this was going to happen when I got my back Units for being Challenged.” Scorim started looking mad now.

     “She didn’t even ask for any help. All she wanted to know is if we were coming to her place for the Holiday Feast.” Avvi picked up her Monitor on the messy Junk Holder next to her.

     “What did you tell her?” Scorim looked nervous now.

     “I told her we couldn’t – because you had to work that day.” Avvi turned on her Monitor.

     Scorim returned to watching his favorite Event. “I just don’t know which Time Spree it’s going to be. It’s supposed to be the Late After Dark Time Spree right now. But it’s been almost three weeks since I was told I would finally get that Time Spree. And I’m still in the Midday Early Dark Time Spree.”

     “It doesn’t really matter. We can have our Holiday Feast with either one. But the After Dark one would be better. You would be rushed if it’s still the Midday one.” Avvi started working on her Monitor again.

     “That’s why I wanted you to cook our feast again this year.” Scorim stopped looking at his Event and looked at Avvi instead.

     Avvi looked over at Scorim. “I would. But for just the two of us it’s better to go out. The lack of Units is why we aren’t going to see Gleana this year. At least that’s one of the reasons.”

<<<<<>>>>>

     Looking at the Timer and another two hours have passed. Scorim slept in his chair. ‘Mumbling to yourself again. You always do that when you are sleeping. It’s getting late. We can continue going over the check list tomorrow.’ Avvi thought that to herself as she got up and headed out of the room.

     As Avvi headed out of the Living Area she also thought to herself. ‘We haven’t done too much at the beginning of this month after all. It was late last month. And mainly this week. The rest of this month and next month is really going to be busy. I’m not talking about the Holiday next month either. I am just glad that this year is almost over.’















© Copyright 2015 PureSciFi (spacefaction at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2066053-The-Check-List