*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2066414-A-day-in-the-story-Harrison-Bergeron
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Iris
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Other · #2066414
This is about a girl who lives in the society that is described in "Harrison Bergeron".

Zilya woke up to the silence of her house, like she always does. She goes to sit up and feels the familiar tug of her many weights. A quiet groan escapes from her lips. But zilya is lucky compared to what could have happened. From a extremely young age Zilya new that she was different. Unlike most people Zilya had an extremely high IQ. She was smart enough to find a way to beat the test that decides if she needs a ear piece handicap. She acts dumb all the time so no one knows how smart she actually is, well expect for Luke. But the one thing Zilya could not find out was how to beat the strength test, you see the strength test is not anything you can control of how much you try. So Zilya has always been stuck with 4, 50 pound weights, positioned on her arms, torso, and neck.


Zilya stands up and readies herself for the day. About 10 minutes later comes a knock at the door. Zilya calls out, “Coming!” Then she starts to make her way toward her bedroom door. Right before she goes to open it another knock strikes the door. Zilya flings open the door and rudely remarks, “I said I was coming.”

“What are you talking about?” Asked her mom, Julia. “I just knocked on the door a second ago. You never responded.”

“Yes, I did mom and you had already knocked before that.” Zilya stated.

“Oh, maybe I did, I don’t remember. I never do.” Julia bluntly stated.

“It’s ok, neither do I”, Lied Zilya.

“Well anyway, breakfast is ready when you want it. At least…. I think it’s ready.” Said Julia in a questioning tone. Julia walked away talking to self about if she did or did not make breakfast. Zilya shakes her head and thinks about how much her life sucks. I mean she can’t really talk to anyone, besides Luke. Luke did what Zilya did about beating the test.


Zilya always imagined herself growing up and marrying a handsome guy, that is just as smart as she is, and being happy. But as Zilya grew up she realized that she could never be happy, not truly, not until she could be herself. The only time Zilya is happy is when she is with Luke. Zilya shook and head and stopped thinking about the things that she could never have.


As the day went on Zilya heard little snippets about something that had happened on the T.V. the night before. But whenever she asked someone about it they had no idea what she was talking about. When Zilya went over to Luke’s house talk to him about it, he seemed jumpy, nervous, and almost paranoid. She tried to ask him what was wrong but he keep avoiding the question.

“Fine!” Zilya yelled at him. “If you won’t give me a straight answer then I am out of here!”

As Zilya turned to leave. Luke called out for her to wait. She turned around and waited for him to continue. As he was gathering his thoughts Zilya took him in. Luke’s jet black hair was neatly smoothed to the right side, his green eyes seemed very excited but nervous at the same time. He was wearing dark blue jeans and a dark green shirt that brought out his eyes. Right then Luke started talking. He explained to Zilya that Harrison Bergeron and some ballerina had been killed last night on live T.V. Luke also explained that he had been part of what had happened. He helped Harrison escape and he built the bomb, and the device that made the broadcast turn live again. Zilya was so stunned that she had no idea what to say. She just stood there with her mouth hanging open.

“Zilya, please say something you are starting to scare me.” Luke anxiously said.

“I don’t even know what to say……. I mean what were you thinking! You could have been thrown in jail, or worse.” Zilya angrily shouted.

“I know, I know. But I knew the risks and I HAD to do it anyway. I can’t live like this anymore. Harrison knew the sacrifice he would make but he did it anyway because he wanted to make a change. But now no one can even remember!” Luke stated. “I want out, I want to leave this place, go somewhere better. I heard that in two cities over a rebellion is forming. I want to join and I want you to come with me….. I love you Zilya.”

Zilya was surprised, she had feelings for Luke but she did not think he had feeling for her. A smile formed on her face. She had never really thought about a rebellion or joining one, but now that she has the option to, nothing would make her happier than to join and be with the man she loves.

“Yes!” She replies gleefully.

“Great! How about we meet at the city limit tonight at 11:00?” Luke asked.

“That sounds perfect, I have to go pack. But I will see you then.” Zilya responded with a smile on her face the whole time.

She then left to go get everything she needed. The rest of the day she stayed in her room throwing clothes, food, and all of her precious items into a bag, while daydreaming about what her life will be like in the rebellion with Luke.


At 10:00 pm, Zilya ripped off her weights and snuck out the window. She sprinted the whole way to the city limit, taking the long way so there was a lesser chance of being seen. She reached the city limit at 10:57, she ducked behind a bush while she waited for Luke. She turned to her left and saw him running toward the city limit, about 35 yards away. Just behind him she could make out two men that had their guns pointed at Luke. Zilya was frozen in fear. She heard the gunshot before she saw Luke hit the ground. When the two men reached him, Zilya could make out the H-G symbol on their jackets. They grabbed Luke’s body and dragged him back towards the way that they came.

When they were out of sight Zilya crept out from behind the bushes and started to sob. About 20 minutes later Zilya had come the conclusion that the government needed to change, had to change. Zilya at that moment made it her mission to make it happen and that the first step was to join the rebellion. She stood and made her way across the city limit heading toward the place that Luke told her about. Zilya never looked back. When Luke was killed something changed in her, all of her hate and pain exploded and took over. She became someone to be reckoned with.

© Copyright 2015 Iris (indianhorse123 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2066414-A-day-in-the-story-Harrison-Bergeron